Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Problem with new eyeglasses

13 posts in this topic

Posted

EDIT 5/9/12:

So yesterday, I went back to pick up my glasses again after dropping them off last week to get them fixed after talking to the manager. They do feel better now; I don't get headaches from them at all now and I don't get as tired anymore, but when I still look to the sides or down a little, they are still not really clear, but kind of blurry still. I'm going to say that I will have to go back for like the 10th time to get them fixed AGAIN....

I'm thinking of just asking for a redo on the eye exam; perhaps there's just something wrong with the prescription, but I don't know what to do anymore... The people at the eye place were SOOO much more helpful AFTER I called their manager -_-, but that may also be because there was a different person helping me out this time?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Hello fellow soompiers! ^_^

I've come to ask more questions about eyeglasses.

So I got a new pair of eyeglasses recently, but the focus doesn't seem to be that good for me. Whenever I put them on, I get migraines and become very tired and dizzy. When I look even slightly to the side or down, it gets blurry. I can't even wear them for ten minutes without getting a headache and can only see clearly when only when I look straight ahead.

My eye doctor told me that the reason why is because I'm adjusting to my new glasses and because the frames are much bigger.

I have changed four different pairs of glasses before and have never experienced these symptoms.

These were my previous frames:

http://www.coastal.com/glasses/frames/coach-elana-brown/prod25013.html

And the ones I switched to:

http://www.coolframes.com/glasses/kate-spade-eyewear/fallon-womens-prescription-eyeglasses.html

They are bigger, but not that much more I think.

Also, the person at the eye glasses shop says because the frames are bigger, that I am getting the "fishbowl" feeling? And one of the technicians said that it's because they can't or don't make all the eyeglasses lens with the prescription spread out the whole lens and that it is only focused in the middle and as the lens spread out toward the frames that they prescription power dies down and isn't as concentrated. I don't know if I'm making sense, but that's what she told me and if so, is this true? Because it sounds a bit skeptical to me since aren't they supposed to make our whole eyeglass lens the same prescription for the whole lens and not any more or less concentrated throughout the lens unless they are bifocals? (Also, because all the other glasses I've had looks pretty much the same throughout and doesn't seem to have any changes whether I looked up, down, or sideways) Shouldn't the optical powers throughout the lens be the same? She also told that there was a name for the center of the lens called the optical something? (I don't recall it).

Thoughts? Similar experiences? Comments?

Your inputs are very much appreciated and thank you all in advance! :)

Posted

What they're telling you is BS because they don't want to fix their mess up. My mom has had this problem before, they put the lenses in wrong. They probably bent the lens a bit when installing them, so it messed up the prescription. With places like this; you have to be firm. Go back to them NOW, there is usually a 30day fix, return limit, so don't wait at all, and tell them that you know glasses should not be like this, you can't wear them for long, it's making you physically sick and the glasses need to be fixed.

Posted

yeah its possible that they didnt put the lenses properly/ the focus thingy.

it happens to my one I can't exactly focus properly.

Posted

Thank you! I've went back 2-3 times already and they keep insisting that it's because I'm not adjusted and they wouldn't listen to me. My mom told me to get the manager's number because we tried returning it, and they wouldn't let us either after we had a recheck appointment because they simply wouldn't listen. Now, I just hope that the manager will listen because if not, I don't know what to do anymore. They just won't listen!

Posted

edit//deleted ><

Posted

Thank you! I've went back 2-3 times already and they keep insisting that it's because I'm not adjusted and they wouldn't listen to me. My mom told me to get the manager's number because we tried returning it, and they wouldn't let us either after we had a recheck appointment because they simply wouldn't listen. Now, I just hope that the manager will listen because if not, I don't know what to do anymore. They just won't listen!

YOU have to be insistent one. Tell them straight forward that the glasses are wrong and if they won't fix it, you're going to go to the Better Business Bureau. Let them know you aren't leaving there without results.

Posted

That happened to me!!! I usually adjust to a glasses pretty fast, so it was quite weird when I keep on getting headaches even after 20 mins. I just can't seem to focus with my new glasses, so I take them off and wear the old one... (I see perfectly with my old one anyways...my mom just wanted me to get new one because of insurance stuff) It seems like they don't want to fix your problem...keep on trying to get them to fix it!

Posted

Hopefully you can get through to them. And definitely find a better doctor and get your glasses from there next time (or now!). Are these special eyeglasses or something or did they get you the wrong eyeglasses? Because regular glasses for nearsightedness shouldn't be blurry... While it's true when you first try on a new pair, you will get some tired eyes and dizziness because you have to adjust to them, but it shouldn't last more than 1 week max IMO. And it shouldn't be blurry...

I really hope you will try to get a refund and then get your glasses from some place else. Do a Yelp search or ask around your friends/coworkers to see if they have any good recommendations.

Posted

They are just for nearsightedness. I'm going to be calling the manager tomorrow because I don't think going back there to talk to them will do any good. I have been trying to be as persistent as can be; even my aunt and my mom goes with me to make sure that we aren't letting them slide on this.

Thanks Nikky! I will definitely mention the BBB to the manager if anything.

I will keep you all updated and thank you all again!

Posted

So I called the manager and he says that if nothing works in the end, that I will get a full refund for the glasses, but I don't know if I will get reimbursed for the eye exam. When I went in today, they actually checked everything after I called the manager for once and they are getting it remade in a different way? And so, we have to wait for now.

Posted

they are probably using cheap lens material/brand. i always go with nikon at the very least with my prescription lens.

Posted

An update on the process of problem-fixing my new glasses today. Any suggestions or ideas would be great! I really appreciate it!!

Posted

i think they are using polycarbonate lens for your prescription. they are notoriously known for noticeable edge distortion. also, lens thickness plays a part as well. you lose optical quality the thinner you go.

sounds like what you have now is fixed. the only fault i can see is that they should have used quality optics for your lens. i assume their choice was based on your requirements and budget.

what you need to do is to ask them to fit a pair of lens with the highest possible abbe value. chances are, it will be made out of glass which is thick, heavy and probably very expensive.