Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Learning to code?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

How have you all learned to code (and how'd you choose what language to learn or start with?)  I'm only familiar with simple front-end things like css/xhtml, but would love to learn django/ruby/python/something along those lines.  The goal being that I'd be able to develop simple prototypes / work with APIs / etc...I've obviously got a lot more learning to do. haha

I thought codecademy was such a genius idea when I first stumbled on it, and am trying to get back on it and finish those simple courses!  Has anyone else done it?

http://www.codecademy.com

Posted

How have you all learned to code (and how'd you choose what language to learn or start with?)  I'm only familiar with simple front-end things like css/xhtml, but would love to learn django/ruby/python/something along those lines.  The goal being that I'd be able to develop simple prototypes / work with APIs / etc...I've obviously got a lot more learning to do. haha

I thought codecademy was such a genius idea when I first stumbled on it, and am trying to get back on it and finish those simple courses!  Has anyone else done it?

http://www.codecademy.com

If I was completely new to programming, I personally wouldn't start out with a framework language like django or ruby. Frameworks can come and go and you can easily switch between them as your preference or needs change. I guess it really depends on what your needs are. If you just want to get a quick jumpstart and start producing results then it doesn't really matter as these will both enable you to get the work done. However, if you are new to programming altogether, I would start with the basics and at least get some understanding of native php coding and basic programming concepts.

Posted

i learned how to code ever since xanga and myspace starting with html, then moved to java, when i entered my university i started to learn c++, php, ruby, etc...

but for beginners i say start with the basic language such as c++ and then move on to other languages...oddly enough, you will come back to using c++...at least for me..but i need to brush my on my languages...it's been a while

Posted

yes, codecademy is a great tool.

java/objectc(c++)/html5

Posted

Oh wow.. that's an awesome site.

I learned to do coding in school. In middle school, we were required to learn HTML and TrueBasic. In HS, learned C++ and Java. In college, css.

I'd probably start out with C++/ java... apparently it was easy enough that high school teachers could teach it to a group of students who weren't all that tech savvy.....

Posted

I'm learning to code and make layouts. I'm not very good at it yet either...xD but I'd like all the tips for the layouts and coding I can get^^

Posted

learning to code is more important than going to school to secure your future.

#umbrella

Posted

OOwww, I like this site, haha. I've been learning C programming.........on youtube. Pretty simple stuff.

Posted

I know that site. I love it! Except I had to take a break because I was getting busy in school. Planning on catching up again once I'm off for vacation. It really depends on what you need to do. I don't know that much html since I don't really use it. Just the most common codes. I think Java/C++ would be a good place to start. There are a lot of free resources online and you could purchase a book.

Posted

I know that site. I love it! Except I had to take a break because I was getting busy in school. Planning on catching up again once I'm off for vacation. It really depends on what you need to do. I don't know that much html since I don't really use it. Just the most common codes. I think Java/C++ would be a good place to start. There are a lot of free resources online and you could purchase a book.

Today mobile technologies make the world go round... so either Java+Android or Objective C + iOS or HTML 5 would be the right way to go.