Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How Long Should I Wait Before I Start Bikram Yoga?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

The health benefits of bikram yoga have really piqued my attention, but I have absolutely no experience with yoga whatsoever. There's a local bikram yoga studio nearby, and according to its website, beginners are welcome at all classes, but the infamous intensity is making me hesitate a bit. Do you guys think I should take a yoga class before starting bikram? 

Posted

i'd say if your fit you can go try bikram... I went to get a 20 dollar pass for a week trial anytime for that week and it's a killer, if your not fit xD i would try yoga first.

Posted

You don't need to have experience in regular yoga.

The bikram yoga moves aren't that hard. Well, a couple of the moves will need a very good flexibility and balance. The teacher won't get angry if you cannot do it, since you're still a beginner.

But, have to do them for an hour in a 100+ F heat room, it's HELL!

Make sure you are hydrated before you go to the class. Eat at least an hour before the class.

Bring a bottle of water, a very absorbent towel to lay on it (as a yoga mat) and a smaller towel to wipe yourself because you will be soaked in sweat to the bone.

I tried bikram yoga. I didn't have any experience in regular yoga. I could do most of the moves just fine till the end.

But, I only tried the trial package. I couldn't stand the heat, always ended up with a migraine whole day.

Posted

Hey, I am avid yogi and love bikram yoga.

The only yoga I tried before going to bikram was the "ock joo hyun yoga" which could be found on youtube with english subtitles.

Some poses in bikram are similar to that.

Bikram is only 26 poses and the poses always stay the same.

So the more you go, the stronger you get.

Just stay hydrated through the day, drink lots of water.

For me, I don't consume any food at least 3 hours before the class.

Because it takes a while to digest and you don't want to throw up during floor poses.

Bring a big water bottle to class and a big enough towel for your yoga mat.

Don't overload on water in class.

Really have fun and it's all about breathing slowly through the nose, even if your heart is thumping a mile a minute.

Oh and make sure you see yourself in the mirror!

Your bikram instructor will DEFINITELY understand how difficult the 1st class is as does everyone else in the studio.

The important thing is that you come back the next day.

Your goal for the first few days would be to stay in the 105+ heated room, even if all you do is sit or lie down.

After class, replenish yourself with coconut water and bananas.

<3 bikram and hope you will too!

I've definitely become more flexible and my core has definitely gotten stronger, even my arms are more toned.

And note: This is coming from a person who couldn't touch their toes and didn't enjoy exercise till bikram.

Posted

I asked this trainer this same question at the YMCA and she quite frankly told me I should wait until I've properly lost my beer belly.

So geez, who knows how long I have to wait.

Posted

I have a few friends who tried and it and they said to definitely stay hydrated! It's not something everybody can handle so maybe ask to go in for a trial class to see how you feel about it :) Keep us updated!

Posted

actually, last summer I started bikram yoga without a lot of knowledge in performing the poses, but I am flexible. Regardless, no prior experience is needed.

Nothing to exhausting, every 15-to 20minutes you rest for 2 minutes for breathing exercises. Plus, you literally get to see your sweat drip off!

Go for it.

Also, this is coming from someone who does not drink a lot of water daily, I dislike drinking water. So everytime you go to class, freeze the water bottle (not the plastic ones, but the ones you reuse again and again) overnight or 4+ hours ahead of time, and do not add water to it, cause the heat in the classroom will melt the ice, if there is ice and water together already, the melting process is faster. Besides you do not often feel thirsty in the hot room, I did not. At most I just drank 3/4 of my water when I got home.

It probably differs, but this is just my experience(: