Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Consulting Soompi on my smile and braces

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Is this normal?
So I'm beginning to be more self-conscious about my smile. I've had braces for 1 and and a half years (supposed to be on for 2 years). I had an underbite beforehand -- decided not to get jaw surgery so only relied on braces and bands to get it as close to a normal bite as possible. The bands did work, my top jaw moved over my bottom jaw, but the only problem I find now is that my two front teeth really jut out at an angle... kind of making it look like buck teeth. They didn't jut out before braces (as you may see), and I think the top jaw just overall really prominent. My family has noticed too. Is this jutting normal? Is it going to possibly be fixed later? Normally a straight pair of teeth have all the teeth just sticking straight up/down (like the last picture).

2rhbhau.png

jz8iva.jpg

*Excuse any nastiness that may repulse you (difficult time resizing photos) haha. I'm going to the ortho next week to ask, but I just wanted to hear your guys opinions/remarks.

Posted

this is an issue you need to bring up with your ortho.

i had invisalign and the front right side of my teeth used to be higher (the teeth shorter), than the left. it wasn't until probably the last quarter of my treatment that they readjust the attachments so that it's pulling down the right side to make things more even.

Posted

actually no, a perfect bite is not completely up and down as you put it. a perfect bite is actually the top jaw is slightly further out than the bottom jaw. overbites are just extreme versions of the perfect bite. there's definitely a way to fix it. just use the reverse treatment for your underbite. actually, i don't even think your top jaw is too far out to the point it can be considered an overbite. it's because of how your top teeth are formed. if you bring the top jaw back anymore, you risk pushing your bottom teeth back also because they would be touching.

there's a way to "fix" your issues. i think the brackets on your front teeth needs to be changed. the angle should be changed now since your teeth are straighter but it's also not allowing your teeth to fall perfectly in live.

i think once that is changed, you won't look like you have an overbite. it's because of the angle your front teeth are at right now.

Posted

that's what happened to me too [and currently happening lol]

my dentist got me to wear elastic bands to move the lower teeth a little forward. So no worries, your dentist probably knows what he's/she's doing

Posted

Talk to your ortho. They should've mentioned that it is what your stuck with if you don't want surgery. (I have a crossbite, half under half right on top of each other) and a shifted jaw (which requires surgery to fix anyways) and my ortho warned me that without surgery this would happen to me 

the roots of your teeth can't really move forward or backwards (into the mouth) because really, you only have so much room. So to fit, they have to move and er.. bend? at different angles. You had an underbite, if your lower jaw can't be moved in, then your upper teeth have to angle out to compensate.. 

Posted

Bringing up the most important thing everything is saying in this thread: talk to your orthodontist. If you don't tell them what you want, they won't know.

They can adjust the wires to bring your two upper centrals back a bit. They brought it forward to fix your underbite which caused to to be at an angle. You won't have a perfect "up and down straight" look for those two teeth because of the natural underbite but you can try to get close to it. The only way to get it perfect is with oral surgery.

By the way, after your treatment is over... please wear your retainers, at LEAST at night.. even when you no longer have to go for check ups. If you don't your teeth WILL shift back. Retainers are pretty much worn for life if you want your smile to stay the same... It's a sad truth that wasn't really emphasized by my DDS when I finished my treatment (which was more than 10 years ago.. before my 2nd molars came in). Unfortunately I neglected my retainers and will need a second treatment to correct the relapse. =( Don't let it happen to you!

-pink1e

Dental Assistant

Posted

Looks fine with me. i actually had braces because I also had an underbite. My dentist told me that having overbite would be normal for me since I had an underbite. Try consulting your dentist if you're worried. Oh, would you mind postig what he told you afterwards? I'm not sure if you notice my overbite in this picture :D  >.> Well, now I wear retainers :o

303792_194342327307093_100001939805703_414864_20762930_n.jpg

Posted

ladiixnii said: Looks fine with me. i actually had braces because I also had an underbite. My dentist told me that having overbite would be normal for me since I had an underbite. Try consulting your dentist if you're worried. Oh, would you mind postig what he told you afterwards? I'm not sure if you notice my overbite in this picture :D  >.> Well, now I wear retainers :o