Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tea Tree Oil...?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

darn you acne...
I started to break out this year ( i'm a sophomore). It was only a few pimples, so I didn't mind and put some pimple gel and left it alone. Before I knew it, those tiny dots...became a farm of them. My forehead is totally red, and filled with zits, and my cheeks are taking up the same effect now. I got super oily too which is annoying now because I'm not used to it. My skin was totally fine before this so I'm guessing I broke out due to hormones..? Yeah i'm no doctor. ;_;

ANYWAYS, my friends said to use Tea Tree oil on it, and I did some research and people have said it works, but I'm still a bit hesitant. Have you guys tried it? and if you have, how did you use it? I looked it up but I'm still confused...also any advise? Is it normal for normal skin to become oily and acne prone within a few months..? And any tips?

Posted

I've tried it before - for me, it's about as effective as benzoyl peroxide. They're okay for smaller acne, but I haven't had luck with either on tackling cystic acne - for those, I use sulfur-based treatments. Anyway, when I used TTO, I added a couple of drops to my toner and I also used a cotton swab to directly dab it onto problem spots.

Tea tree oil is very strong. You can buy treatments (I know the Body Shop has one) that are diluted, or you can buy it pure and dilute it yourself. I would not recommend putting undiluted tea tree oil on your skin to start off with - I did end up dabbing it on my skin directly, but my skin is not sensitive at all. There's a good thread here on diluting tea tree oil.

Different people's skin respond to different treatments. Tea tree oil isn't expensive (especially if you go with the dilute-your-own route), so I think it's worth a try.

Posted

Oh thankyou. I got bottle for myself, I'll try it out before I sleep later~

Posted

I am going through something similar as well! :sweatingbullets: Only I started breaking out a lot freshman year rather than this year (sophomore as well).

If you use tea tree oil, make sure you do a small spot test on your skin first to make sure you don't have any bad reactions to it. When I first tried it, I had the same hesitations you are having. I did a 1:1 tea tree oil to water ratio to at first and eventually made my way up to full concentration when I saw that my skin could tolerate it. I use it undiluted on my face with no problems. I do get red where I applied it (I apply at night), but the redness is gone by the time I wake up.

For me, tea tree oil worked really well on whiteheads. It dried them up pretty quickly, sometimes within a day.

Posted

Oh, I think I'll also add a few drops in a mask as well, we'll see how that goes....anyone know what's a good mask for oily/acne prone skin?

Posted

my husband and i swear by tea tree oil.

it works well with my skin (dry/combo and i have mild acne),

and his skin (oily/combo and he has a lot of acne).

we buy 100% tea tree oil in small vials and this is how we use it:

-my husband likes to mix about 1/4 teaspoon into his shampoo&body wash bottle so that the oil will help with his body and head acne.

-i dab a little onto a q-tip and use it as a spot treatment. i don't dilute it either.

-we got a small spray bottle and mixed about 2 tbs of dickinson's witch hazel toner with about 1/8 tsp tea tree oil. before use, we shake it and then we spray it onto acne prone areas on our bodies.

Posted

If your whole face is oily and acne-prone, try out the Proactiv Clay Refining Mask (you can buy it on Amazon for $5.75) or the AcneFree Therapeutic Sulfur Mask (you can probably get it at any supermarket/drugstore for less than the Ulta price). Both are about equally effective for me. I use them as spot treatments on stubborn cystic acne - dab some on overnight, wash it off in the morning, and the spots definitely shrink :) Both have sulfur (Proactiv has a higher concentration), which is antibacterial, and kaolin clay, which draws out oil. The Proactiv mask actually already has tea tree oil in it, while the AcneFree mask has bentonite clay (also good for drawing out oils, and increases circulation temporarily).

Anything with kaolin clay will calm down the oil for a bit, though. You could even get fancy and mix your own masks - I've never done it, but it sounds fun :P

Posted

I used it for some minor break outs. I bought a bottle of 100% TTO and just directly swabbed it onto my breakouts. But that didn't really work :/ So I tried diluting it first (About 3/4 water, 1/4 TTO) and then swabbing onto my breakouts and surprisingly the next day my breakouts were a LOT smaller :o

So I think you need to dilute it first to get results, at least in my experience. If you do dilute it, remember to do it in a glass bottle!

Posted

If your whole face is oily and acne-prone, try out the Proactiv Clay Refining Mask (you can buy it on Amazon for $5.75) or the AcneFree Therapeutic Sulfur Mask (you can probably get it at any supermarket/drugstore for less than the Ulta price). Both are about equally effective for me. I use them as spot treatments on stubborn cystic acne - dab some on overnight, wash it off in the morning, and the spots definitely shrink :) Both have sulfur (Proactiv has a higher concentration), which is antibacterial, and kaolin clay, which draws out oil. The Proactiv mask actually already has tea tree oil in it, while the AcneFree mask has bentonite clay (also good for drawing out oils, and increases circulation temporarily).

Anything with kaolin clay will calm down the oil for a bit, though. You could even get fancy and mix your own masks - I've never done it, but it sounds fun :P

Don't use ProActive! I've never used it personally, but there are many, many stories where it does work for acne, but the user becomes dependent on it, so you would HAVE to use it.

Posted

@xlila - its because their products contain Benzyol Peroxide and if you get off that stuff just like that it will break you out like crazy. You can probably find how to get off BP on here, I saw a thread a while ago.

I have 100% Tea Tree Oil, I'm going to try it diluted thanks to this thread. Should I post my results?

Posted

I've tried it, it's currently what Im using for acne. It's better than benzoyl peroxide for me..I just put a few drops of jojoba oil and tea tree oil on a cotton bad and rub it all over the affected area (chin and along jawline) the jojoba oil is like a moisturizer so I get no dryness and flaking from this. Plus it works way faster to reduce the pimple size than bp ever did for me...without that annoying flaking/drying. 

I have sensitive, oily skin but I can use it undiluted just fine...I just prefer having that jojoba oil in there so my skin doesn't dry out. Dryed out skin = overproduction of oil T_T

Oh and as for a good mask for acne, try aspirin mask. All it takes is about 5 tabs of uncoated aspirin, a few drops of water (just enough to dissolve the aspirin) and you can put in a drop of honey for moisturizing benefits. When you wash it off you can get a nice scrub effect from the crushed aspirin too. ^^b

Posted

Don't use ProActive! I've never used it personally, but there are many, many stories where it does work for acne, but the user becomes dependent on it, so you would HAVE to use it.

@xlila - its because their products contain Benzyol Peroxide and if you get off that stuff just like that it will break you out like crazy. You can probably find how to get off BP on here, I saw a thread a while ago.

Yeah, I don't use the Proactiv system (the benzoyl peroxide wash/toner/lotion) - just the refining mask. And since I said that it works as well for me as the AcneFree mask (which I've been using for the past few months), I'm clearly not dependent on the mask. And if you use other BP systems, you'll also become "dependent" on them - it's not because of the brand. I use BP occasionally (maybe 1-2x a month) but am not dependent on it :) Actually, I did try the whole Proactiv system, and it didn't work for me anyway haha...my skin doesn't respond much to benzoyl peroxide in the first place.

Posted

I have the Body Shop one and it worked...and then it stopped working :P

Posted

@anli - I meant that large concentration or usage of BP or regular usage and then suddenly stopping will cause bad break outs. Whoops! X) I use BP when I have bad acne.

Posted

@Hearted: Yeah, if you're comfortable with it, I plan to but i'm waiting for results (:

I used a bit last night, diluted with it with some virgin olive oil, since water didn't work out so well for some reason. I dabbed a bit on, and went to sleep.

I can actually see a small change, it's not huge to notice from afar, but the size of my zits got somewhat smaller~

And I'll try the aspirin mask! I've heard it does wonders too, but I don't have aspirin at the moment..

Posted

I used to use it. I'd put a couple of drops on a q tip then press the q tip against the spot for a couple of seconds and usually it'd reduce in size quite dramatically. They work well on the small red bumps you get but not so much on the white ones you get in my opinion.

Posted

Honey mask is always good. it moisturizes and also calms down acne prone skin. Also for "all over" acne or lots of blackheads, try a DIY sea salt scrub or dissolve some sea salt in water and w/ a cotton pad or something wash your face with it. wait for the "burning" sensation and then rinse the salt water off. it works like a charm (over several uses...!)

I used to use TTO, but at the same time i was using tretoinin... so that = BAD IDEA lol since both are very drying. since then i haven't touched TTO but now that my tretoinin ran out i think i'm gonna go back to TTO and mix it w/ jojoba oil. after all, TTO is natural and i'd rather use natural products on my face than stuff like tretoinin now... but from what i remember TTO works really well. the smell is a bit eh but you get used to it. i used to use it like spot treatment, just dab a little on a q tip and swipe across my cysts/whiteheads ><

Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone ! it seems to work for a bunch of you so far. hopefully it be effective for me as well ><!

Posted

I have some tea tree essential oil, but haven't' used it yet. I bought it because I had acne, but of course I figured out the main cause and now I don't have that problem anymore.. so the tea tree's kind of a waste. BUT, it's still a great antibacterial so it's fantastic for killing odor causing bacteria and cuts. I highly recommend diluting it, yes. That, or just getting soap with tea tree. anli's link to the acne.org's forums is a great start.

Posted

Is there anyway to get rid of the scent or atleast most of it? My sister hates it LOL