Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Raw Diet

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Let's go raw :)
Hello, hello. I've never done something like posting before but I saw that there wasn't much information about the raw diet here so I decided to start one and to track my weight as well. Basically, I've been trying to get healthier and I want to drop my weight and just be more fit overall. First off, I want to start off with a disclaimer because I have done my research and I am not a teenager, and I'm not going crazy about losing weight and becoming a 00 in jeans; I just want to get fit after someone in my family had a health-related illness and it just kind of reminded me about how important my body is. Basically, I've been somewhat "vegetarian". Not really, but I like to keep a vegetarian diet with a piece of fish or meat here and there just because I don't really like eating meat. I am a fruit and vegetable FIEND haha. The thing is, I have a really hard time with snacking on bad foods and I have an unbearable sweet tooth...I could not go a day without baked goods so I'm restricting myself now.

I decided to start on this raw diet after a friend I knew went raw and she just seemed so much more...fitter? She's much more healthier looking now and she hasn't had any health problems because she takes her vitamins for things she lacks in and eats many nuts and tofu etc etc to keep up her fat content. I realized that this is more of a lifestyle than a diet so be warned for those that are going in to lose weight in a heartbeat. This is not for you.

I want to do this to just eat clean basically. I don't really want to go by weight because I want to measure inches but I'll do that after I buy a measuring tape, hehe but as of now I'll just post up my weight and height and then we'll start from there. I weight a lot but much of that is muscle, bone and of course fat. I'm not looking to drop down a lot of weight if you look at my Goal weight, but my goal weight is prone to change if I want to stop losing weight or want to lose more weight as I go. I want to keep my body's curves....I have nice assets ;) Anybody else want to join me?

Me:

Starting weight: 135

Goal Weight: 120?

Height: 5'3"

Just some things I want to remember to eat and do daily:

- Eat all the fruits and vegetables uncooked

** You can eat dehydrated/dried or cooked foods but I personally am not going to just out of preference

- Nuts!

- Seaweed

- WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER

- refrain from using too much salt (keep in mind that the body DOES need sodium but certainly not as much as we normally eat)

- Eat until full, not stuffed or famished. Don't starve the body but just eat when hungry, drink when thirsty mentality.

-Don't constantly worry about the calories

- Will add more as I remember them

I want to document this journey just because I want to stick to my resolution and since writing down things tend to help you stick it through, I'm going to TRY writing here often. No promises, but I'm sure for the first week I'll be here frequently :)

Oh, and disclaimer number 2. I know that this is a high sugar intake but first off, they're not only sugars and my diet will consist of things other than just fruits. And disclaimer number 3, I will be going off this diet in about 30 days and going back to my normal somewhat vegetarian diet so no, this is not long term. I just want to try it out.

Posted

there's this thread here from someone who did the raw food diet for a month. it's more food-oriented, so it's got LOTS of food pictures and some recipes and links to more recipes. might be good to take a look! i didn't try any myself, but some of them look quite appetizing!

http://www.soompi.co...-raw-food-diet/

good luck! i feel like a lot of the weight-loss-related posts in this forum are kind of reflecting a not healthy mentality, but your goal sounds attainable and healthy!

Posted

I tended to go for uncooked veggies once I learned that u lose a lot of nutrients in soups because high temperture destorys vitamins and nurtrients. (I always thought it was easy way to get nutirent that way but I was wrong.) Although soups can help fill you up.

My eating habits have been cleaned up mostly. Most meals have about 3/4 of fruits and veggies...

I think I eat meat about only 2-3x a week.

An easy and will save you money is to buy frozen berries or fruit.

I love unsalted nuts too, I add some crunch to everything I make or I just eat it by themselves =D

Posted

Thanks for both of your helpful information! Wow, her food looks so good O.O hahaha but today is my ease-in day so I'll write what I ate throughout today. I think I'm going to keep easing in for the next day or two max and I'll be full on this thing in the next 3 days!

Breakfast:

An apple, sweet potato

Snack:

Kiwis

Lunch:

Salad with lettuce, onions and salmon. 2 oranges, 1 apple, 1 kiwi and some frozen blueberries

Dinner:

Sushi! Lots and lots of sushi....

I know sushi isn't really keeping it raw but I'm still easing in and I have to say that even though it might not sound like a lot, it kept me full throughout the day. I failed to drink that much water though only 3 glasses so I'm going to have to work on that.

I'm not going to be weighing myself everyday because a lot of weight is going to be water weight so I'll weigh myself weekly after I start full-on attempting to go raw. If anyone wants to join let me know, we can endure together :)

Posted

I think I may try this once school starts back up~~ =w=! I definitely need to do tons of research.. aah, it'll be very hard I think.. I love cooked food. Also, would this mean no rice? x__x;

Posted

I agree, does rice belong in the cooked food? Can we negotiate to brown rice instead lol?

I personally love eating raw veggies, so that's no problem for me. I have more trouble buying lots of fruit and  trying to eat them all by myself. 

Posted

I agree, does rice belong in the cooked food? Can we negotiate to brown rice instead lol?

I personally love eating raw veggies, so that's no problem for me. I have more trouble buying lots of fruit and  trying to eat them all by myself. 

Techincally, I don't think rice is allowed because it is a cooked grain. There are methods of preparing rice if you really want it but from what I found it's tedious and honestly annoying on my part so I just choose to go without it. But, it is extremely important to eat your fruits as well as your veggies, tofu as well! I try to eat some of everything per day or just evenly distribute it but I don't get too crazy about what I did or didn't eat. Just eat whatever you want that's raw.

Update on my past two days:

I have been keeping a mainly raw diet with a few pieces of cooked fish here and there but I think tomorrow will be my last easing in day and then I'm full throttle raw starting Sunday! I'll check my weight on Sunday and keep a detailed account from there hopefully if I don't get too busy but I'll answer any other questions to the best of my knowledge if you guys have any. I realized the hardest part for me will be my snacking on foods and CHOCOLATE T.T Also, I know that there are raw recipes so that you can make your own dishes of whatever you want, but personally I don't like making the dishes so when I go 100% raw, I'll most likely be eating the vegetables themselves without any "cooking" done to them.

Posted

I do really want to join, but im no good at diets. I really would like this because i am good at eating veggies and fruits, but I have bad self control when it comes to junk food and candy. T___T I wish there was someone around me that would just follow me and be like "hey! You put that down and eat an apple instead!"

I am 5'3" and i weigh 161 lbs. I'm over weight but I gained all my weight from my baby. lol. I started out as 135 then I got pregnant and went up to 145 and by the end of my pregnancy I weighed 180. Talk about water retention. so now my daughter is two and i wanna get back to my 135. T__T I miss my old jeans.. you know, the ones that fit perfectly while every other pair just feels wrong. haha.

Posted

I do really want to join, but im no good at diets. I really would like this because i am good at eating veggies and fruits, but I have bad self control when it comes to junk food and candy. T___T I wish there was someone around me that would just follow me and be like "hey! You put that down and eat an apple instead!"

I am 5'3" and i weigh 161 lbs. I'm over weight but I gained all my weight from my baby. lol. I started out as 135 then I got pregnant and went up to 145 and by the end of my pregnancy I weighed 180. Talk about water retention. so now my daughter is two and i wanna get back to my 135. T__T I miss my old jeans.. you know, the ones that fit perfectly while every other pair just feels wrong. haha.

You can do it! Haha, I'm sure you don't have to go raw to get healthy, but I guess my tip would be to just not buy the junk and candy. Think of it as saving money in these economically hard times :) LOL but frozen bananas make for good sweet treats I've realized. Frozen bananas, pineapples, raspberries, blueberries etc. The frozen fruits really help curb the sweet cravings and I'm going to try out kale chips. Apparently they taste like potato chips (not quite but similar) and are deeeelicious :D

My final day of easing in is today and I am full throttle raw starting monday!! Ah, can't wait but I really hope to make it through this coming month and hopefully it'll change my eating habits and life. As for exercise I'm going to attempt to do some pilates once a day but I have a really busy schedule. Excuses? Possibly but honestly I'm up all night trying to finish schoolwork and juggling work at the same time so I really do have a full plate but maybe I'll wake up earlier to get in some pilates, hehe.

Anybody want to join me? Nobody's replying to join me :( It's okay, I CAN GET THROUGH IT BY MYSELF! but.....you know....if you want to join...:D

Posted

Haha I am on the diet too (but not a strict one), I would eat breakfast and dinner raw, and then for lunch I usually have some salad with a little bit of cooked food. Looks like Mel already posted the topic I did, but I was also thinking of starting a thread here for those who have questions about the diet. I'm not a pro at it, but my friend did it for over 50 days so far (and she's still doing it), so I can always relay the questions to her.

In the last week, I gained so much more energy, I actually went to the gym 4 times... usually I'll be lucky if I get my lazy butt to go work out 2 times a week (I sprained my ankle a few months ago, so I lost the good the habit of going to gym often).

The good news is that the raw diet (I call it raw health gain) does work if you do it properly. My friend lost 10lbs and looks better than ever (she didn't do it to loose weight, and I'm sure she lost only fat and not muscles because she looks super lean since she bikes). And she also feels more energetic than before! I would rely more on how your body feels than a scale... because sometimes it takes time for your body to adjust to a new diet before it takes its full benefits, and then it'll flush out all the bad fats at an accelerated rate.

Posted

@Yinan I was really inspired by your cooking and facebook group too!

Update: I've been not too strict with easing in and today was my first full day raw but I cheated a bit and ate some cooked chicken breast T.T but I have to say that even with my predominantly raw easing in days plus my ALMOST raw day today I feel a lot better. My sleeping schedule seems to be a bit more regulated and I checked the scale and I already lost a bit over a poun (133.6 lbs) granted it's probably water weight but I don't notice a shift in measurements of my body from what I'm guessing since I don't have a measuring tape still. I want to see a difference in size, not the scale :/ Of course it'll take a minimum of a week or so to even see noticeable differences I think but hopefully I'll get there! I'll try to be a lot more committed tomorrow but I feel very optimistic towards my new lifestyle. Let's see how things work out everyone :)

Posted

@Yinan, Would you happen to know anything about rice?

Anyway, I think I'll probably do raw for breakfast and lunch and not raw for dinner.. So not as strict, but I think it's a healthier change!

Posted

You can do it! Haha, I'm sure you don't have to go raw to get healthy, but I guess my tip would be to just not buy the junk and candy. Think of it as saving money in these economically hard times :) LOL but frozen bananas make for good sweet treats I've realized. Frozen bananas, pineapples, raspberries, blueberries etc. The frozen fruits really help curb the sweet cravings and I'm going to try out kale chips. Apparently they taste like potato chips (not quite but similar) and are deeeelicious :D

My final day of easing in is today and I am full throttle raw starting monday!! Ah, can't wait but I really hope to make it through this coming month and hopefully it'll change my eating habits and life. As for exercise I'm going to attempt to do some pilates once a day but I have a really busy schedule. Excuses? Possibly but honestly I'm up all night trying to finish schoolwork and juggling work at the same time so I really do have a full plate but maybe I'll wake up earlier to get in some pilates, hehe.

Anybody want to join me? Nobody's replying to join me :( It's okay, I CAN GET THROUGH IT BY MYSELF! but.....you know....if you want to join...:D

Haha Thank you for the encouragement! I will try the frozen fruits. Cause I think that will be my biggest problem.

So could anyone give some meals that i could eat? I find that if I'm trying to eat just some carrot sticks and fruit pcs I feel bored then I crave some solid food.

Posted

@Yinan I was really inspired by your cooking and facebook group too!

Thank you!! I'm not the one who's doing the raw diet, my friend is, but I think her healthy diet has influenced mine greatly... There are days where I prefer eating fresh fruits and veggies over cooked foods. My friend did raw for 50 days, and lost 10lbs, so average that to 2lbs a week just to give you an idea. But please remember not to starve yourself... in fact raw should be the opposite - you should feel more energetic than ever! When I did the raw last week, I actually had energy to go to the gym 4 times!!

@Yinan, Would you happen to know anything about rice?

Anyway, I think I'll probably do raw for breakfast and lunch and not raw for dinner.. So not as strict, but I think it's a healthier change!

Rice is not considered Raw. However, my friend had brown rice in her diet for the first week when she did raw. There are some foods (such as protein and grains) that are mostly cut out from raw diet, which needs to be replenished through other raw foods (a lot of veggies have the same vitamins, but you'd have to eat a variety of veggies so that you don't miss those nutrients). it is also good to know that certain foods nutrients can be better absorbed when cooked (such as tomatoes). the idea of "raw" originally stems from getting the most nutrients from the food since cooking destroys most of it. however, if you "blanch" (drop in hot water) for a few seconds the vegetables, it will brighten the color/warm the food and actually make certain nutrients more accessible. I do a hybrid version of raw and healthy cooked for my diet because i have a very sensitive stomach.

The goal is healthier - think of the meal as a way to "feed" your body, not to starve it. If you feed it with the right foods, you'll need less of it to feel satisfied. A lot of nutrients in veggies/fruits yet so low in calories! Rice and oils are fine to eat in moderation (when you cook it yourself), but are higher in calories with less nutrition than the veggies/fruits...

Posted

I've actually been on a raw food cleanse (predominantly juicing, green smoothies, and eating fruits/veggies in their raw state) for 10 days.

For some reason the second day was a little hard and I was tempted to give up, but after that I just stuck through it.

Today is my 10th day, and I will be breaking my detox cleanse tomorrow!

I plan on going on another cleanse at the end of summer. Or maybe even once a month, except reduce the # of days and make it into a more intense juice-only fast.

Posted

I want to join you guys too, mostly eat only fruit's and veggies and some nut's. gluten free ;) I'm gonna start On may 3rd, so excited!