Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

18-Year-Old's Final Status Update: 'Driving And Facebooking Is Not Safe! Haha'

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Taylor Sauer knew facebooking while driving was a bad idea.The 18-year-old college student said so in her last status update: "I can't discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha."

At the time, Sauer was driving 80 mph from the Utah State University campus in Logan to visit her folks in Caldwell, Idaho, and was passing the time on the four-hour drive by messaging her friend about the Denver Broncos, according to MSNBC.com

Moments after her last update, she crashed her car into a tanker truck that was going 15 mph up a hill and was killed instantly.

Investigators weren't able to find signs that Sauer applied the brakes before her fatal crash, but, after checking cell phone records, they did discover she was posting about every 90 seconds during her drive, according to Idaho State Police Lt. Sheldon Kelley.

"The text messages were both incoming and outgoing during her trip between Logan, Utah [and the accident scene]," Kelley told the Salt Lake Tribune. "In addition to the texting, there were multiple Facebook communications to and from Taylor Sauer during the minutes immediately prior to the crash."

That was January 14 and her parents, Clay and Shauna Sauer, are trying to make sense of the crash and prevent future tragedies.

"I think she was probably (texting) to stay awake, she was probably tired," Taylor's dad, Clay Sauer, told Today Show host Ann Curry. "But that's not a reason to do it, and the kids think they're invincible. To them, (texting) is not distracting, they're so proficient at texting, that they don't feel it's distracted driving."

The Sauer family is now lobbying Idaho legislators to put a ban on texting while driving, according to the Daily Mail,.

Idaho is one of 13 states which hasn't made texting while driving illegal, but Shauna Sauer believes Taylor would approve of the new law.

"This is what she would want us to do," she told Curry.

The texting and driving ban has already passed through Idaho’s state senate, and it could travel to the house as early as Tuesday.

Taylor's father, Clay Sauer, said he hopes such a ban would teach drivers that texting and driving is unsafe and unacceptable from a young age, "like the importance of wearing a seatbelt," reported KTVB.com.

"I think every state should have this law," he added.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_1322727.html

Posted

Was the driver of the other truck okay? Not gonna lie, I also think texting and driving should be illegal. What people always seem to forget is that when you pull that crap you're not just endangering your own life, there are people surrounding you that you need to think of -- passengers, civilians, and other drivers. This girl could have easily killed OTHER PEOPLE too.

Posted

Facebook is not as safe as it seems. :(

Posted

How scary would it be if that final Facebook status update was determined by investigators to have been made 15 minutes after the crash. 

Posted

to them, (texting) is not distracting, they're so proficient at texting, that they don't feel it's distracted driving."

it's true. There needs to be more focus on this issue. It's frustrating how it hasn't been made illegal yet. I'm glad using cellphones while driving is illegal where I live but it needs to be enforced more severely. My friends still continue to text and talk on the phone while they drive, no one cares.

Posted

I don't get how some people can feel safe using their phones when driving. When I drive I don't touch my phone at all (unless theres a ridiculous wait time for a traffic light, ngl) because I'm just so paranoid that in that 1 millisecond or whatever that I'm not looking, something will appear out of nowhere and I'll crash into it like this girl. Also, whats the point of endangering your life just so you can check the latest updates on Facebook or whatever? Its not going to run away, in fact I actually find it quite boring..

In addition to that, she was texting/facebooking every 90 seconds?? What in the actual hell?

@Malice_Kaiser: I'm assuming she crashed the truck from behind and the truck was just so big that it absorbed most of the impact and protected the driving from any fatal injuries - or it would have also been reported, imo.

Although I do feel bad, I'm just going to go ahead and say that she had it coming. I'm glad she didn't kill/injure anyone else (assuming truck driver is ok) and ruin another family's life, including her own. I really hope the texting while driving ban would be implemented everywhere.

Posted

I feel sorry for the truck driver for him to be involved in this mess.

But the girl? Just natural selection at work.

Posted

I don't get how some people can feel safe using their phones when driving. When I drive I don't touch my phone at all (unless theres a ridiculous wait time for a traffic light, ngl) because I'm just so paranoid that in that 1 millisecond or whatever that I'm not looking, something will appear out of nowhere and I'll crash into it like this girl. Also, whats the point of endangering your life just so you can check the latest updates on Facebook or whatever? Its not going to run away, in fact I actually find it quite boring..

In addition to that, she was texting/facebooking every 90 seconds?? What in the actual hell?

@Malice_Kaiser: I'm assuming she crashed the truck from behind and the truck was just so big that it absorbed most of the impact and protected the driving from any fatal injuries - or it would have also been reported, imo.

Although I do feel bad, I'm just going to go ahead and say that she had it coming. I'm glad she didn't kill/injure anyone else (assuming truck driver is ok) and ruin another family's life, including her own. I really hope the texting while driving ban would be implemented everywhere.

I know several people who still have dumb phones and has the physical button number pad layout. They brag that they can text without looking and they text while driving without looking at the screen (unless reading the message)

Posted

Wouldn't it be creepy if her last status update was "See? I Even Died From It! Haha!"

Posted

She did it for the Lulz

Posted

She was a true martyr.

Long live the queen.

Posted

Is the truck driver ok? You would think, that even people who text and drive would be able to see a large tanker truck in front of them even from afar. mellow.gif

Posted

Wow it really sucks to die just like that.. RIP. 

Posted

I don't know what to feel.

:mellow:

Posted

TEXTING/TALKING AND DRIVING should be illegal EVERYWHERE! I see so many drivers on the road, driving recklessly only to pass them and see them using their PHONE! People will never understand how dangerous it is until it happens and that'd be too late in this girl's case. Sad.

Posted

I agree too, it is so easily to distract yourself from driving when you are busily texting or talking on the phone; sometimes even eating and doing other things too. You are putting your lives and others as well in great danger, so really it's not worth it. It's really sad and ironic that this girl died like this, I mean, she should have known better since she wrote that. Also, I just don't understand how she will drive 80 mph going up the hill??? Regardless of the situation, may she RIP and hope others will learn from this reckless behavior. In CA, I still see some stupid drivers still talking on their cell even though CA already banned talking on cell phone...it just baffled me!

Posted

On the truck driver's Facebook:  "Whoa, WTF was that?!"

Posted

I know several people who still have dumb phones and has the physical button number pad layout. They brag that they can text without looking and they text while driving without looking at the screen (unless reading the message)

Lol thats quite stupid..to brag about it.. I think everyone who used the dumb phones before could still do it/did it before. But seriously though, even if they aren't looking at the phone, their mind is still somewhere else. I just think dying over checking Facebook or a phone message is one of the most stupid things ever, might as not risk it eh? No matter how good you think you are at texting while driving :/

I know a lot of people who brag about being able to text while driving too, I guess its just one of those things...

Posted

She was a true martyr.

Long live the queen.

In facebook we trust

Posted

What a great way to spend the last moment of your life.

:phew: