Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does this seem okay?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

GRADE 12 COURSES
Hi, I'm an aspiring elementary school teacher residing in Ontario.

I am currently in the 11th grade and my course selections just got sent in. However, I can still change them...

I want to major in Psychology with a Bachelor of Art's because it is more suitable for teaching.

My dream school is Queen's University. You need at 80+% to get into the Arts program but the averages last year were 87% for Arts.

These are the courses I chose:

English (of course)

Data Management (as it is useful for Psychology)

Biology

Chemistry

Semester math ( Adv. functions/calculus)

Economics

Challenge and Change in Society

Philosophy

The thing is, I am definitely not a Math person. Should I just drop Calculus and only take Advanced functions? Would that be a wise choice?

Posted

what do you plan on teaching?

who says psychology is suitable for teaching? does that mean science teachers need to have a b a in psych so they feel more comfortable in teaching?

do you need a b. ed to teach?

Posted

You did great keep going,good luckavatar2.jpg

Posted

I've taken both maths and I am currently in an Ontario high school and I find the courses very different. Advanced Functions actually seems harder and more difficult. You should fine as long we you do all your homework that was assigned, ask questions in class and do extra problems in case you don't understand a concept. I'm horrible at understanding math, especially the first time around and I did lots of homework and participated in class and did well. Its all up to your own work habits on whether or not you do well in those courses, not whether you are a "math person" or not.

Posted

What are the prerequisites for the psychology program? If calculus isn't a prerequisite then I think you should drop it. My friends are taking it right now and they find it pretty difficult (more difficult than Adv. Functions, but that differs for each person). You said you're not a math person; if you are willing to work extra hard in calculus and put in the effort, then by all means take the course. However, if you think you'll probably won't do that great in calculus, then I think you should drop it -> especially if you don't need the course! =P

You could always take the course and see how well you do in the first few weeks. If you're not liking it, then you could always drop it and take a spare instead hehe. (I dropped calculus this semester, and now I have last period spare. Yay~)

I'm an Ontario high school student, hoping to become a teacher as well~ if you have any questions, feel free to ask me :)

Posted

So many subjects? I only have 4 subjects :o

Posted

If you can take it knowing that your GPA won't falter the I suggest you take Calculus. If you take the course it will help you out when you take your required college math courses. Just make sure that if you take the course your grades won't suffer from it.