K-Music Forums 2012 - Suggestions, Comments and Feedback

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Let's widen these "fine lines".
Hello everyone! As you would have noticed, it has been a little while since we have had a dedicated sticky topic for our K-Music forum rules. Until now we have been relying on members read the general forum rules, as well as the link in that thread to old Korean Music Forum Rules thread by edward1849 from back in 2008.

Since things have changed slightly around here in the past few years, I am looking for community input on these Korean Music Forum specific rules. I want as much feedback as possible and as many suggestions for new rules as I can get. Once I deem this thread successful, I will be forming the new K-Music thread rules thread which will be pinned.

The following are the old rules, most of these will be staying. They can been seen in further detail by clicking here.

KOREAN MUSIC FORUM RULES

SUMMARY:

1.) All the general forum rules apply to this section as well.

2.) Do not bash other forum members or any musical artists.

3.) Do not post or request for direct download links.

4.) If you are going to make an official artist thread, notify us in the pinned topic ─> Index Of Official Threads

5.) Do not quote any pictures.

6.) Specific rules apply to the 1TYM, Dong Bang Shin Ki, SM Town, Super Junior, Wonder Girls and YG Family threads. Refer to page 1 of these threads.

7.) Stay on topic!

8.) English is the default language.

9.) Do not ABUSE the use of spoilers, strikethroughs, or different font colours. NEW - See complete list of rules for details

10.) Do not create polls without prior permission from a moderator. NEW - See complete list of rules for details

11.) The minimum forum post count to participate in the k-music forums is ten forum posts. This measure is to prevent trolls from participating.

If you are unsure how to respond, you can answer some of the following questions:

- Do you agree with the rules?

- Do you think we should add/remove any of the rules?

- What have been some of the reoccurring problems in the threads you browse in K-Music?

- Are the rules being enforced enough/not enough?

Posted

E D I T E D:

Also, what about certain members who post provocative comments? Say in an idol group's thread, a person complains that his/her bias is not given proper attention and tries to pull down the other members of the idol group by saying that his/her bias is the most "____" or the most "_____" and is better than ________ so why is this member the leader/or the most popular in the group or something?

That person is technically not breaking any rules, but of course, the frequent visitors of the thread would retaliate and you know what would happen -.- . Does it fall under any rule violation? If it does not, then should the other posters in that particular thread just endure the immaturity of that 'certain person' even when he/she is starting to throw direct comments and agitating assumptions to the other soompiers?

Did I make sense here? LOL.. Sorry, if I didn't. I just want to clarify things. Thanks a lot ^^

Posted

^ Actually I don't think that's what the rule means. The rule states that in order to post in this section you must have at least ten posts, it's not talking about a daily post limit at all; if anything we want members to participate more and post more.

Posted

^ Actually I don't think that's what the rule means. The rule states that in order to post in this section you must have at least ten posts, it's not talking about a daily post limit at all; if anything we want members to participate more and post more.

Oh. I see.. Sorry about that ^^How about the second one? ^-^

Posted

E D I T E D:

Also, what about certain members who post provocative comments? Say in an idol group's thread, a person complains that his/her bias is not given proper attention and tries to pull down the other members of the idol group by saying that his/her bias is the most "____" or the most "_____" and is better than ________ so why is this member the leader/or the most popular in the group or something?

That person is technically not breaking any rules, but of course, the frequent visitors of the thread would retaliate and you know what would happen -.- . Does it fall under any rule violation? If it does not, then should the other posters in that particular thread just endure the immaturity of that 'certain person' even when he/she is starting to throw direct comments and agitating assumptions to the other soompiers?

Did I make sense here? LOL.. Sorry, if I didn't. I just want to clarify things. Thanks a lot ^^

Yeah. I agree completely. I mean, I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but doesn't that count as bashing? Not the entire group but a certain member. There were incidents where it was like, "___" can't sing as great as "____" and blahblah.

There were also incidents where the user also attacked other members about posting this information and not posting other kinds of information and it got to the point where it lead to a lot of drama in the thread. I mean, ignoring is one way, but there's a certain limit to how much a person could ignore. It's pretty rude I must say if the user attacks the members of the group and also to normal active users who contributes to the thread endlessly.

Posted

E D I T E D:

Yeah. I agree completely. I mean, I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but doesn't that count as bashing? Not the entire group but a certain member. There were incidents where it was like, "___" can't sing as great as "____" and blahblah.

There were also incidents where the user also attacked other members about posting this information and not posting other kinds of information and it got to the point where it lead to a lot of drama in the thread. I mean, ignoring is one way, but there's a certain limit to how much a person could ignore. It's pretty rude I must say if the user attacks the members of the group and also to normal active users who contributes to the thread endlessly.

The interesting thing is that outside of the Wonder Girls thread, this has never really been that big of an issue.

The idea of a forum is that individuals of various opinions are able to come together and have discussions - in this particular case an individual is going against popular opinion, which is not breaking any rules. However, from what I can see, as soon as a member starts to go against popular opinion, I am receiving numerous reports of them being a "troll" before they even start to "attack" other members. The holders of the more popular opinion often shoot down anything that isn't orthodox with haste, placing the member in an awkward corner - and it is this state that the member starts to become agitated in, which is why we witness backlash.

Of course, that is no excuse for that particular member to start attacking anyone or bad mouthing other members of said-group... but I just don't understand why they are never approached even semi-kindly and redirected to a member-specific thread or just waved off as someone with a difference in opinion. It is when you start to agitate these "trolls" that they start to assume a "bad-guy" role and naturally fight back. If you don't give them anything to lash-back at, but they start to blindly fire attacks, then they are breaking RULE #2.

Posted

The interesting thing is that outside of the Wonder Girls thread, this has never really been that big of an issue.

The idea of a forum is that individuals of various opinions are able to come together and have discussions - in this particular case an individual is going against popular opinion, which is not breaking any rules. However, from what I can see, as soon as a member starts to go against popular opinion, I am receiving numerous reports of them being a "troll" before they even start to "attack" other members. The holders of the more popular opinion often shoot down anything that isn't orthodox with haste, placing the member in an awkward corner - and it is this state that the member starts to become agitated in, which is why we witness backlash.

Of course, that is no excuse for that particular member to start attacking anyone or bad mouthing other members of said-group... but I just don't understand why they are never approached even semi-kindly and redirected to a member-specific thread or just waved off as someone with a difference in opinion. It is when you start to agitate these "trolls" that they start to assume a "bad-guy" role and naturally fight back. If you don't give them anything to lash-back at, but they start to blindly fire attacks, then they are breaking RULE #2.

Well basically the posts that the certain user back lashes is a post about a certain member of the idol group. Say, an article about how this member gets praised for her pictorial and such, then this poster posts a comment how his bias is prettier, more adept and more 'something' than the other. Of course, it's a difference of opinion and some already tried responding to him civilly,  but when it's done often and the way the posts are worded vindictively, wouldn't the other members retaliate?

For a person who openly criticizes and disrespects both all the other idol group members and their fans, I doubt that the 'certain' user's posts fall under the category of dissenting opinions. Other soompiers have been elucidating to that certain user about his childish  hostility to the other idol members and their fans in a civil  manner way before somebody reacts indifferently. There's a certain extremity to  how much a person could disregard insolence especially when the comments  are already too provocative and directive.

And when you said "The interesting thing is that outside of the Wonder Girls thread, this has never really been that big of an issue." But other threads don't have to suffer the same discourtesy from that certain user. Wfs there did try to ignore, but how can you ignore more when all other girls are being put down in other to flatter the other, especially when an article or updates about the other idol members are being posted? Drama hits new highs in the Wg thread from time to time, that's something not to be denied, but that's because of the inconsideration and disrespect to the other members from that certain user.

And I don't know if you know this, but that poster had  blindly spewed rudeness to WFs who post  member updates not including his bias, saying they are so prejudiced and are not supportive enough to his favorite when all this time they've been posting news about the other girls as well. It just so happens that when that certain poster visits the thread, the news he stumbles upon are updates from the other members.Isn't it a little unfair?

With all due respect, I'm not trying to force you to ban that certain person, but if this continues, shouldn't it be the right undertaking to do?

Please enlighten me.

Posted

Say, an article about how this member gets praised for her pictorial and such, then this poster posts a comment how his bias is prettier, more adept and more 'something' than the other. Of course, it's a difference of opinion and some already tried responding to him civilly,  but when it's done often and the way the posts are worded vindictively, wouldn't the other members retaliate?

But why do the other members need to retaliate? Why can't they just let it go? If the user persists to the level that you are suggesting, then that would be considered spamming (for example, if they start to pull up examples from months/years ago or out of no where just to post the same point over and over). From what I saw in the WG thread, the way some people were responding to that user was of the exact same nature as the was user was posting. It just doesn't seem fair to troop in and ban someone because popular opinion is against them, despite how extreme their views are.

This is a reason why I made this thread, I want all decisions to be fair - just because the majority disagree with one person, does that mean they can in-turn harass that member until they "leave"? I suggested ignoring the user, and even though some members did, there were particular people who just did not stop commenting back to the other user. If the user was merely a troll, then their efforts would have been pointless if no one was paying attention. If the user actually was serious, they would start to realise no one cares and take their opinion elsewhere.

And when you said "The interesting thing is that outside of the Wonder Girls thread, this has never really been that big of an issue." But other threads don't have to suffer the same discourtesy from that certain user. Wfs there did try to ignore, but how can you ignore more when all other girls are being put down in other to flatter the other, especially when an article or updates about the other idol members are being posted? Drama hits new highs in the Wg thread from time to time, that's something not to be denied, but that's because of the inconsideration and disrespect to the other members from that certain user.

Well that's not necessarily true, many other threads have had similar members with views that can be considered related, i.e. a strong bias or fighting for more attention. Yet, it never hits the fan as hard as the WG thread.

In regards to ignoring the user, I read maybe 5-6 posts in total that went ignored. When I say ignore, I mean completely. Just scroll over their posts. It's simple. Don't take the bait.

And I don't know if you know this, but that poster had  blindly spewed rudeness to WFs who post  member updates not including his bias, saying they are so prejudiced and are not supportive enough to his favorite when all this time they've been posting news about the other girls as well. It just so happens that when that certain poster visits the thread, the news he stumbles upon are updates from the other members.Isn't it a little unfair?

With all due respect, I'm not trying to force you to ban that certain person, but if this continues, shouldn't it be the right undertaking to do?

Why do you assume that action hasn't been taken? Just because it isn't an immediate ban doesn't mean that we are ignoring all reports completely - we keep our eye on trouble makers, we discuss what to do, we PM the member with suggestions on how they could better integrate into the community. If all else fails, and they are still breaking the rules, then sometimes a ban is the answer.

Posted

I think the rules should be staying. I don't find any of these rules to be too strict. In fact, I have been rather busy since last April and recently I got back on the forums, I was appalled at the activity level of the forums(mainly K music). Can someone kindly update me on what happened to the amount of activity on soompi because now, it seems like the SNSD thread can only get to two pages max a day for updates. When it used to be tens of pages in the past. o_o

Just taking an example because SNSD thread was one of the busiest last time I came and I frequently visit the thread.

Anyway, in regards to the the topic currently discussed above.. Ignoring works best. There's no such thing as "how much ignoring can you do when the person keep posting uncomfortable comments?" You can ignore it once, twice, you can definitely keep doing it. And trust me, trolls work best in favorable conditions when people feed them attention. Once you ignore them and they realise nothing's going to make you reply again...they will lose interest and stop. Fighting WG thread!

Posted

But why do the other members need to retaliate? Why can't they just let it go? If the user persists to the level that you are suggesting, then that would be considered spamming (for example, if they start to pull up examples from months/years ago or out of no where just to post the same point over and over). From what I saw in the WG thread, the way some people were responding to that user was of the exact same nature as the was user was posting. It just doesn't seem fair to troop in and ban someone because popular opinion is against them, despite how extreme their views are.

Why won't they retaliate when the post serves as reply to their own post? What i was trying to point out was, other members feel the need to retaliate because that certain user is posting direct comments to another member which, if I may add, definitely remotely far from being polite. Dissenting opinions are okay and are being responded to in a mannerly way. On the other hand, those posts replied to in the same nature as that certain user are the ones which are impolite and rude and directed to a certain member who did nothing but just contribute to the thread. This is the reason why most members get fed up and retaliate.

Why do you assume that action hasn't been taken? Just because it isn't an immediate ban doesn't mean that we are ignoring all reports completely - we keep our eye on trouble makers, we discuss what to do, we PM the member with suggestions on how they could better integrate into the community. If all else fails, and they are still breaking the rules, then sometimes a ban is the answer.

I am not assuming. The reason why I was asking  those questions was because I was unsure on how to respond. I was trying to ask enlightenment from you on what course of action should we take when a kind of user does all these things. You told me to just disregard, fine I get that, but I was inquiring if the said user already directs nasty comments to the others and whatnots. I was also asking if it isn't  unfair to those soompiers who post updates but still get back lashed because that  certain user's bias wasn't covered in that post. Really, I wasn't formulating an assumption that the moderating staff didn't take particular measures regarding this. I know that there must be some invisible, back-door actions taking place that I know nothing of. I think you got me wrong there. All I want is to get familiarized with the depths of the regulations so that I won't take a wrong step in the future since I'm fairly new around her and I got, the least to say, overwhelmed with such irrationality coming from a certain user who claims to be fan of one of the idol group's member.

Posted

If that's happening, then report those posts. The thing is, the posts I see being reported just contain content like "I hear that member x hogs the mic too much" or "some people say x member does y". When I then check the thread, I see the member who posted those things being attacked by the majority in the thread. It's just not a warm environment.

I think you're still missing the point - by people retaliating, they are just fueling the fire. If it was a group of members that they were fending against, that might be more understandable. But it's one member.

---

Anyway, I have a new rule in mind that I will propose shortly. It will be involving the way posts should be reported and what sort of content in a post deserves to be flagged as a rule violation. This way, moderators won't be seeing 10+ reported posts from a single thread and have to dig deep through all of them to find the one post that actually does deserve to be punished.

Posted

If that's happening, then report those posts. The thing is, the posts I see being reported just contain content like "I hear that member x hogs the mic too much" or "some people say x member does y". When I then check the thread, I see the member who posted those things being attacked by the majority in the thread. It's just not a warm environment.

I think you're still missing the point - by people retaliating, they are just fueling the fire. If it was a group of members that they were fending against, that might be more understandable. But it's one member.

---

Anyway, I have a new rule in mind that I will propose shortly. It will be involving the way posts should be reported and what sort of content in a post deserves to be flagged as a rule violation. This way, moderators won't be seeing 10+ reported posts from a single thread and have to dig deep through all of them to find the one post that actually does deserve to be punished.

That's nice. I'll be really anticipating it. In this way, people will be able to discern briskly the difference between dissenting opinions and vindictive rude posts.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry and I'm looking forward for a harmonious and fun experience here in soompi's K-Music forums.

Posted

That's nice. I'll be really anticipating it. In this way, people will be able to discern briskly the difference between dissenting opinions and vindictive rude posts.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry and I'm looking forward for a harmonious and fun experience here in soompi's K-Music forums.

Exactly, and no... no need to be thankful - I need to thank you guys for the sheer amount of time and effort put into these threads. I just want to revive the K-Music forums to what it used to be, similar to what jaefan mentioned, where it was so active that it was almost like an on-going chatroom.

I appreciate the feedback so far, please encourage anyone you know who enjoys these forums to come and share their opinion. After all, when it comes down to it I want to make this a better place for you guys, not just for me.