Hyperpigmentation and Acne Scars!

42 posts in this topic

Posted

how to make it less worst. help D:
I have hyperpigmentation and I was wondering for those of you out there with acne scars/hyperpigmentation, how did you make it less worst? Do you exfoliate? Do you use acne scar treatments? Please share what products have worked for you.

Posted

i used kojic acid soap. reduced the pigmentation tremendously.. however it's still there of course.. just not that obvious. can't seem to get rid of it entirely since i do have new acne formation every now and then. sighhhh..

i wanna try clarisonic next.

Posted

mederma helps a lot. just take time and patience.

Posted

probably not the answer you want to here, but i find that if you continue applying products, it just irritates the spot even more and prolongs the healing/fading process =/ try letting time, patience, and nature take their course :)

Posted

Lactic acid and licorice extract are great for lightening up scars and dark spots.

Posted

I've been using lemon by itself directly on my face and I think the scars are fading. I've only used it like 3 times so no drastic changes yet but I did notice the scars look smaller so you could try it out.

Posted

Proven ingredients in skincare include those mentioned: kojic acid, licorice extract and lactic acid, as well as hydroquinone (anything >4% you would need a prescription).

Posted

I have really severe Hyperpigmentation so I pretty much spent most of my life finding ways to reduce it. Here are some of the things I recommend:

I'm using Lemon juice also, and it seems to be working!

Alpha Hydroxy Acids also speed up exfoliation incredibly fast making new skin appear faster and therefore reduces hyperpigmentation and scarring. The AHA by acne.org is pretty good.

Beta Hydroxy Acids- These are for prevention of future scarring. Paula's Choice 2% BHA is good.

Copper peptides- I heard this works really well against acne scars. You can see results in only a few days. I haven't tried it myself but I always hear good things about this. But I heard it is very potent and strong so you should start at a low concentration.

Retinol Products: This one is also of strong concentration so be careful. But it is known for fast cell turnover.

Turmeric: Turmeric is an indian spice, it's better to get the organic version of this. You can turn it into a mask by mixing it with milk and a little bit of lemon juice. It found that it really reduced redness and evens out skintone in general.

Don't forget to use sunscreen! This is important especially if you are using stuff like AHA, it makes your skin more sensitive to sun. Sunscreen prevents your scars from darkening

Posted

Don't forget to use sunscreen! This is important especially if you are using stuff like AHA, it makes your skin more sensitive to sun. Sunscreen prevents your scars from darkening

Sunscreen definitely, and staying out of the sun if you can (wearing hats and such). Sun makes your hyperpigmentation darker!

Posted

I looove bio oil for my face. It makes my skin look glowing! And it's really helped with the redness I used to have because I have sensitive skin. No more beat tomato red face after washing my face. It's lightened up my scars and helped my complexion. Realstically, they're not completely gone, but people just think a lot of my scars just look like freckles or something now. Great for winter too. I love the list of ingredients in there, it's straight to the point and has really healthy skin ingredients. I have combination skin, and it works just fine. Doesn't break me out because the ingredients are so high grade. Just don't use too much, if you think it's going to make you oily.

Posted

So I have discolored pigmentation, brown spots and acne scars. I wanted to invest on Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector (OMG why such long name?) but didn't want to pay $50 for it plus my previous experience with their acne cleanser did not impressed me. So I've swap it for Garnier Skin Renew Clinical Dark Spot Corrector (inhale!) for about $15. I did some reading about it and there were many positive reviews so I went ahead and purchased it.

I've been using it for about 2-3 weeks now, trust me it takes awhile to notice the changes but it does work. I've noticed that my discoloration has become lighter. I have a more even facial tone and my face is actually brighter too. Not much help on scaring though which I think only laser remover/skin rejuvenating reconstruction can help. BTW I'll have to agree, do invest in a sunscreen. I prefer the one mention along with the product because they work and compliment each other although you don't have too.

Financial-wise you can always use lemon juice diluted with water; it's not a good idea to use lemon juice directly because it will sting and dry your face. Oatmeal masks is also good too.

Here's some websites for references:

Natural Solutions

Dark Acne Spots

Acne Spots

I hope this help!

Posted

I have hyperpigmentation for years that have not gone away. I have tried different methods like mederma, alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids, but none dramatically changes the pigment marks. I am not here to share the failed attempts, but it has led me to something that works for me.

I use the Dr. Perricone pigment corrective dietary supplement and apply the Olay regenerist regenerating serum. My pigments reduced within a week compared to months and years. This has been my holy grail products that I wish I found sooner because it works so extremely well. My hyperpigmentation used to be so bad, it looked like i had bronzer on my cheeks. I have taken these two combined for only one month and my pigments from accumulated years have dissappeared. It is unbelieveable.

Dr. Perricone supplement works from the inside out just as the inflammation and pigmentation starts from the inside issue. The Olay serum uses the peptide niacinimide to reduce redness and pigmentation from the outside.

The Dr. perricone supplement is super expensive at retail price, but I found it through TJ MAXX store's beauty section. Amazon has it for discounted price also. The Olay serum I bought during a sale at ULTA.

Best of luck to you and the rest of the hyperpigmented people!

Posted

I have hyperpigmentation for years that have not gone away. I have tried different methods like mederma, alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids, but none dramatically changes the pigment marks. I am not here to share the failed attempts, but it has led me to something that works for me.

I use the Dr. Perricone pigment corrective dietary supplement and apply the Olay regenerist regenerating serum. My pigments reduced within a week compared to months and years. This has been my holy grail products that I wish I found sooner because it works so extremely well. My hyperpigmentation used to be so bad, it looked like i had bronzer on my cheeks. I have taken these two combined for only one month and my pigments from accumulated years have dissappeared. It is unbelieveable.

Dr. Perricone supplement works from the inside out just as the inflammation and pigmentation starts from the inside issue. The Olay serum uses the peptide niacinimide to reduce redness and pigmentation from the outside.

The Dr. perricone supplement is super expensive at retail price, but I found it through TJ MAXX store's beauty section. Amazon has it for discounted price also. The Olay serum I bought during a sale at ULTA.

Best of luck to you and the rest of the hyperpigmented people!

I also heard that niacinamides help to reduce pigmentation and I also use Olay regenerist but then I heard that niacinamides can be pro-aging in the long run because they inhibit SIRT1

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37387

I still use it periodically but am a little afraid to use it on a daily basis :unsure:

Do you know anything about that? I'm really hoping it's not true cause I really want to use it!

Posted

If you want to go all natural, try aloe vera plant (scrape the gel-like substance right out of the plant), ground-up oatmeal, a gentle exfoliator once or twice a week (I personally use CURE aqua gel, but i heard st ive's olive scrub isn't too bad either), and organic apple cider vinegar as a toner. i've been using these products for about a year now (minus ACV... havent tried that yet) and it's been working great! you can also try and use natural plain yogurt as a mask once or twice a week, but personally ever since i became lactose intolerant it doesn't work well for me anymore and i break out :/

Posted

I also heard that niacinamides help to reduce pigmentation and I also use Olay regenerist but then I heard that niacinamides can be pro-aging in the long run because they inhibit SIRT1

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37387

I still use it periodically but am a little afraid to use it on a daily basis :unsure:

Do you know anything about that? I'm really hoping it's not true cause I really want to use it!

Wow I did not know about the pro-aging part. That is a bit worry-some, but I mean from what I know niacinimide is a derivative or another version of vitamin B/niacin. I just find it hard to believe Vitamin B can do harm for the body or skin. The consensus with the studies are inconclusive, so I am still going to stick with my routine. Theses clinical studies most often use niacinimide in high dosage to show results, but the serum most likely has a lower dosage that is applicable for skin. Thanks for bringing the issue up though.

Posted

Not sure if you guys have heard of Obagi Nu-Derm, but my mom has sensitive skin and uses it.  It works real well.  The whole thing comes as a set and is quite expensive, but it works.  It has hydroquinone -- my mom has dark spots and etc. and we've taken before and after photos after 6 months of usage and there's a big difference in her skin.  If you guys can invest some money into this, I'd recommend you to it, but try consulting with a dermatologist first. 

She's tried Philosophy, Clinique, Lancome, other dept. brands and drugstore brands, but none have worked well compared to Obagi.  Hope this helps!

Posted

The Olay Regenerist Resurfacing Elixir is supposedly really good for acne hyperpigmentation. Problem is, it worked well for me for about 2 weeks and after that, I stopped seeing results. -_-

I also tried the Garnier Dark Spot Corrector but the high concentration of Vitamin C would irritate my skin so I gave up on that, too -_-

Now I'm using some whitening hyaluronic acid serum from Kose. Have only used it for one night, so we'll see.

Also, just so some of you know....some hyperpigmentation can be permanent. Why, I don't know, but I went to visit a dermatologist about it and he said some require laser work to get rid of. Doesn't seem like he's lying either because I've had some scarring from acne on my right cheek that's never faded at all.

And also those of you with dents...don't ever succumb to any products that claim to fill up dents. Unfortunately, dents are permanent and will not go away. The only way to try getting rid of them is through filler injections or laser work that regenerates collagen production.

Unfortunately laser procedures for scarring or dents is really expensive (as if that wasn't obvious already). I wanted to get laserwork for these 2 really bad dents I have on my right cheek from a stupid facial I got around 4 years ago but my mom won't take me in for it because she says it's too expensive. -___-x

Posted

OK, their website looks great, but it's hard to find thru Google. It's for a cream called invinciblescars. Is it better than scar zone? It's a lot more expensive.

Posted

i have severe acne and hyperpigmentation, so i went to my dermatologist. I use the obagi line of face prodcuts and so far its been a month and both my acne and pigmentation have reduced rediculously! im not where i want to be yet with my face, but in about another month and a half i should be off the products. They are costly but for me they have been totally worth it.

Posted

For me, plain old cocoa butter works miracles. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula in the stick version is what I use, just apply after I wash my face after school and before I sleep. Works best if you apply ASAP when scarring is imminent.