Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Online Dating

439 posts in this topic

Posted

Have you / would you do it?
*This post is meant for the 20+ people, please don't move to Love & Relationships ...

So as most of you 20+ folks know, meeting people after college is tough. Finding a partner is even tougher. There are only so many people within your network...friends, friends of friends, colleagues...etc.

They say that online dating has started becoming more socially acceptable these days, but I feel that a certain "social stigma" still exists.

So...have you ever done online dating? Would you ever give it a go? Would you be embarrassed to tell your friends that you met your s/o through Match.com or OKcupid...or whatever else ? Do you believe that you'll ever meet a semi-decent guy/girl through online?

I haven't had the nerve to do it yet, but I'm tempted to try. I have friends that are perfectly fine, pretty, intelligent, who are also trying online dating.

Posted

I met my current BF through okcupid. We've been together a year and 10 months now, and things are great! I do feel that there is still a stigma about online dating, but I'm not embarrassed to tell anyone. I feel like it's a bit easier to get to know the person, although it could always be different in person, of course.

Posted

My girlfriend and I met on okcupid. She is amazing so I am not at all embarrassed to tell people how we met. Try it!

Posted

It's a hit or miss for me.

I dated 2 guys I've met off Plenty of Fish, didn't work out in the end for me. One guy was just a prick that seemed to try really hard to impress my friends - they didn't like it neither did i. I don't know there was something fake about him. The second guy, everything was going great. I was happier with him than I was with ANY guy, we broke up twice got back together. Then we broke up for good, simply because he thought he would of been better with a more athletic girl; so he won't feel bad about me not being included in the things he likes to do.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to tell my friends, parents maybe. Well, I met a really decent guy online before, so I guess it's possible.

Posted

If I meet anybody online it most likely would be on line in the unemployment office.

Hey, at least we'd already have one thing in common, and going out on a cheap date would pretty much be understood.

Posted

If I meet anybody online it most likely would be on line in the unemployment office.

Hey, at least we'd already have one thing in common, and going out on a cheap date would pretty much be understood.

LOL - good answer.

My sister and brother-in-law met on-line and they look like a model married couple.

Posted

I am very close to trying to meet people through online dating websites. I feel like I've reached a dead end with meeting people. I've heard both good and bad experiences from other people. Seems like I should try OKcupid from the responses here.

Posted

One of my friends met her boyfriend on eHarmony. Her mom bought her a subscription as a joke but it actually worked out! They have been together for 1.5 years so far and are very happy. I think it can work, especially with something like eHarmony because it's a paid-for service which means the people on it are most likely seriously looking (except in cases like my friend's at least).

Posted

I met my husband on Myspace (first version). We are now almost 5 years married.

Posted

I have an account on okcupid but it's mostly to check out who is using it. I have a feeling that most of the profiles are fake. Also, I'm kind of embarrassed using it.

Posted

Does Facebook count?

I've met/gone out with people who randomly messaged me in my area that I didn't know.

I think there's still a stigma to it though - you don't really want to say that you met online.

Posted

It varies from people to people. I guess I'm traditional in this regard as I still prefer to meet face to face first. If you happen to meet someone online (ie. dating sites), the sooner you meet the better, chemistry could be totally difference in person; plus investing your time and emotion in someone you've never met isn't the healthy way to go about it IMO. (ie. spending a lot of time chatting/talking on the phone/texting before you meet them.) Not to mention internet tend to warp reality, so if you're an "internet person", sometimes real life will fall short to what you've been privy to online.

Posted

Due to my work I know what you're talking about lol. No time to go out and or if you do have time you're either not in the mood for it or just really tired lol

I used to be really against it and is really embarrassed to talk about it but hey I think it's just the same as meeting a friend of a friend, its either a hit or a miss lol.

I met my last ex through the internet and apparently it really didn't work... apparently she was a real psycho.

Posted

im not against the idea - in a perfect world it would seem like an ideal solution, matching similar people up with similar interests and needs. however.. the real world rarely works like that :P

Posted

I've always wanted to try it, but I'm too chicken to do it.

I have a friend who met her SO through ICQ chat. They've been together since their teens for at least 8 years and they just got engaged a few months ago so I believe it can work =)

I definitely think you should meet face to face (in a populated area!) so you can at least get a feel of the person. Like, their vibe or aura lol since people can say whatever they want to say about themselves online.

Posted

wow , seems like there are equally positive and neutral stories about online dating!

Odds are much more in favor for girls, of course :) There simply are too many creepy men on online dating sites...

So I created a profile on okcupid and was surprised to see how many responses I got (as a girl).

There are definitely a bunch of weirdos, I'd say so far, 1/10 of the responses I've gotten seem like really cool people.

I wonder how the odds are...as a guy?

Posted

wow , seems like there are equally positive and neutral stories about online dating!

Odds are much more in favor for girls, of course :) There simply are too many creepy men on online dating sites...

So I created a profile on okcupid and was surprised to see how many responses I got (as a girl).

There are definitely a bunch of weirdos, I'd say so far, 1/10 of the responses I've gotten seem like really cool people.

I wonder how the odds are...as a guy?

i actually just created one... i've messaged about 5 people.... 0 responses!

Posted

I'm open to it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Posted

I've never done online dating, and never will because I've got a partner. However, it doesn't stop me from making friends online. :)

Posted

i actually just created one... i've messaged about 5 people.... 0 responses!

hahaha, wait , are you a guy or a girl??