Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wisdom Teeth

207 posts in this topic

Posted

Share your horrible stories =(
Mines infected right now so I pretty much have to pull it out uuugh. I've been prolonging this as long as possible buut its come to this =(

When I had my four teeth pulled for my braces I just freaked.

Even worse is the bottom two wisdoom teeth are coming out fricking horizontally like its pressed up against the next tooth how the hell is he gonna yank that out? Jeez.

So any experiences?

Posted

Dang, i didnt know u had to lose some teeth to get braces. Ive had some problems with Wisdom teeth over the years, but have been lucky lately, i have one wisdom tooth that has broken through.

I guess since yours is infected, appears you will have to go to the dentist. I wouldnt have a clue how the dentist would yank out the tooth, i havent been near a dentist since i was young, that was a bad experience, paint from the light got into my eye

I had some cream i think it was SM33 (what they call it here) it numbed the pain from the wisdom tooth.

Good luck hopefully someone more informed will be able to help

Posted

Mm..Perhaps it's just me but getting your wisdom teeth pulled out really isn't that bad. I got all four done at once and I was fine. My cheeks were really swollen for a week but aside from that it really didn't prevent me from doing much. I didn't even take painkillers because I don't particularly enjoy the feeling of nausea associated with the ones they gave me.

Don't fret too much about it.

Posted

It hurt more than a root canal.

Plus waking up to the sight of my dentist holding on the the side of my face whilst he yanks out my wisdom tooth with pliers = not pleasant.

Posted

I interned at a family dentist office for about a year and usually we refer patients needing wisdom teeth removal to oral surgeons. With wisdom teeth that develop horizontally, the surgeon will usually break the tooth into smaller pieces. This is easier for extracting them.

If you're brave enough there is a youtube video of an extraction of a horizontal wisdom tooth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY459kTn32c

The dentist has drilled the tooth into pieces and extracted them.

In my experience, my surgeon gave me an IV drip which caused me to be very drowsy and almost unconscious however not asleep. But it felt like I was asleep and when I came to, the whole operation was over. I didn't feel any pain during the procedure but I did feel soreness afterward. However, usually I took some tylenol and if the pain was too much then I would take the prescription meds he gave me. Overall it wasn't too unbearable

As for the swelling, it took about two weeks for me to look normal (not chipmunk-like).

Posted

I was awake during the experience, and it was, in all honesty, not a horrible experience at all. I felt no pain during and after the procedure. I took the medicine prescribed, my face barely swelled, and within a few days I was able to chew solid food.

My friend, on the other hand, had such a bad experience. He bled profusely, to the point it soaked through the gauze and he was drooling blood. He also dealt with side effects from the medicine.

Overall, I think it really depends on the individual and how well his/her body takes it.

Posted

I am scared.

I have to take out my wisdom teeth.

I come back later after I get gas and get my teeth yank out.

Hopefully, I still be alive.

Posted

My sister is one of the lucky 2% to not have wisdom teeth. Mine hasn't grown yet. :D

Is there a time limit to when it starts to grow?

Posted

When I went to the dentist they said I had 4, then when I went back that day to get it pulled out.. the top two were already gone? It was weird, but they had to cut my two bottom ones in half, and I cried all the way home afterward T.T

Posted

My dentist wants to remove my wisdom teeth. I sometimes feel that it isn't necessary. The top ones grew out straight and they are not bothering me at all. He wanted to pull them out with me awake. I thought, no, he removed two teeth at the front before and I heard a cracking noise and it wasn't pleasant at all. But, I heard people having problems with their jaws afterwards. A friend of mines says she has problem opening her jaw after her wisdon teeth were removed. I'm worried about that since I used to have a clicking problem with my jaw and it would hurt at times. My dentist said, that only happens when you are asleep during the extraction procedure since you are not controlling the opening of your mouth. He said if you are awake, I would be able to control how far they can open my mouth. But still, I will be awake and I don't want to experience it.

And I just watched that youtube video with the horizontal extraction... oh dear, my bottom ones are horizontal. I don't want to go through that, they really cut deep into the gums.

Posted

i was wondering since that doctor told me to not eat any dairy products does that mean no ice cream and even pudding?

Posted

When my wisdom tooth began to emerge, I was very happy, but then after a very long wait, it still remained as it first emerged. But I did not give it my thought so I let it be, but then again after a few months it began to ache, until the pain became so unbearable, so i had it checked to my dentist and there that i discovered that my wisdom tooth grew sideways , and to make things worse it was a case called impaction.

Therefore I need to have it extracted. But since it was so small to begin with because only a small portion of it can be seen because it grew sideways, the dentist needs to slice my gums in order for it to have a full grip then she had it extracted.

that was my worse nightmare, simply because the pain was unbearable. Imagine, the extraction took 3 hours!

whoa! total nightmare, good thing it was over!

Posted

I went through this two weeks ago, just got my stitches out yesterday! Don't worry, it's really not that bad.. haha. The dentist had to cut UNDER my gum too :(

Posted

I was given the choice to be awake or be put out.

My dad bribed me to take it awake....haha so I did--for $150

It was a effing pain. So much pulling, drilling, and cracking.

They LITERALLY put 6 numbing shots on each side of my mouth

because it started to hurt really bad in the middle of the operation.

Also, on my right jaw, the pain went to my eardrum. Fun.

It was bareable though.

Oh. I looked like a FAT CHIPMUNK for two weeks. Good thing this was

during Spring break and NOT school.

Edit:

Post procedure was really shiiitttyyy though. Every morning when I wokeup felt like how a described hangover would be.

Posted

Mine are starting to come in....at 23. I'm going to have to get them out before the year ends, and I'm terrified. Oral surgery creeps me out more than it probably should, especially considering I've never had anything done to my teeth aside from getting them cleaned and sealants.

My boyfriend is one of the lucky few who doesn't have wisdom teeth....wish we could trade places. :S

Posted

I haven't had any pulled out. But I heard it's VERY painful. Is this true?

Posted

I haven't had any pulled out. But I heard it's VERY painful. Is this true?

Well usually every good dentist will give you some sort of anesthetic to numb your mouth. If you're awake for a wisdom teeth removal then the most you'll ever feel is some pressure on your mouth and gums but it shouldn't hurt. If it does hurt, ask for more anesthetic. You might hear some cracking of the teeth but that's to be expected since this is an extraction.

After the procedure, your mouth will just feel sore. Nothing too unbearable...

Posted

Ahh awesome :D Thanks for the information.

But does anyone know about breaking your jaw bones ?

Posted

i was wondering since that doctor told me to not eat any dairy products does that mean no ice cream and even pudding?

Ice cream and pudding are okay. Try not to eat solid foods and hot or warm foods. Also don't suck out of straws since this can lead to dry sockets.

Posted

But does anyone know about breaking your jaw bones ?

From all of the extractions I've ever assisted, I don't think I've ever had a patient break their jaw bone during or after an extraction. Nor did I ever see the dentist ever needing to break a patient's jaw bone in order to extract a tooth.

Some people do have problems with their jaw after the procedure. If you experience your jaw clicking and moderate pain when you open your mouth or yawn then it could be TMJ. However, I'm not a doctor so go consult your dentist at your post-op appointment if you have any complications of any kind.