Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Art & Design School Thread

549 posts in this topic

Posted

Questions? or Just to Connect
I saw a few other threads, but none for Artists going to school.

I am going into my second year at Ringling College of Art and Design as an Illustration major. I will be heading towards book/comic cover, video game, card, and fantasy art. So, drop your questions here, or just stop by to chat.

Posted

I know someone going to Ringling. I'm pretty sure it's Ringling.

I heard from a friend that he didn't like it much. But i think he changed his mind.

I hope you enjoy your time there! If I didn't choose my current major, i'd probably do some sort of art.

Posted

I know someone going to Ringling. I'm pretty sure it's Ringling.

I heard from a friend that he didn't like it much. But i think he changed his mind.

I hope you enjoy your time there! If I didn't choose my current major, i'd probably do some sort of art.

Yeah, you really have to put your heart and soul in it. I love the school though.

Posted

Future artist here. :) At least, hoping to be. Finishing up school this august. (I'm enrolled in an online school, need two more credits to graduate.) So... prob. heading off to San Fransisco Academy of the Arts in Jan. :D Not looking forward to the plethora of FAFSA's, though. :/

Posted

Future artist here. :) At least, hoping to be. Finishing up school this august. (I'm enrolled in an online school, need two more credits to graduate.) So... prob. heading off to San Fransisco Academy of the Arts in Jan. :D Not looking forward to the plethora of FAFSA's, though. :/

Nice, what major?

Posted

ringling visited my high school a few months ago.

Posted

ringling visited my high school a few months ago. i'm going to MICA as a freshman this fall. not sure about my major though.

Nice, MICA. What majors interest you?

Just to give people a heads up on Ringling.

I am not too familiar with all of our majors, but I know:

Computer Animation: We are 4th in the world 1st in the country, which is based on animation competitions.

Illustration: This year we took 25% of the spots for Society of Illustrators competition, double any other school. (We increase the number every year)

Interior Design: 99% Hire Rate

Posted

I'm not attending a specialized school for art, however I am studying illustration/animation at San Jose State in California. We have a really great art program with excellent instructors and friendly students. I'm going on my sixth year at state and hoping to graduate next year. As far as the future, I'd really like to do concept work for films or games. Anyways, nice to meet yall and stay busy during the summer ;)

Posted

I'm not attending a specialized school for art, however I am studying illustration/animation at San Jose State in California. We have a really great art program with excellent instructors and friendly students. I'm going on my sixth year at state and hoping to graduate next year. As far as the future, I'd really like to do concept work for films or games. Anyways, nice to meet yall and stay busy during the summer ;)

Nice, concept art field is a tough one to get into right now. It has kind of become a popular thing since conceptart.org. My friend Dan just graduated (http://danieladrover.carbonmade.com/) and everyone is telling him he needs experience in the game industry before they will hire him.

Honestly, it's nice to hear some non-specialized colleges have good art programs, because the specialized schools have killer costs.

Also: nice painting, I like that a lot. Vaguely reminds me of Jon Foster.

Posted

Ringling, that's cool! I see some really good art coming out of that school :)

Next year I'm going to Laguna College of Art & Design, I'm going to study animation- very excited about it!

Posted

Ringling, that's cool! I see some really good art coming out of that school :)

Next year I'm going to Laguna College of Art & Design, I'm going to study animation- very excited about it!

Nice, why did you choose Laguna? I have never heard of that school.

Posted

It's a very small school, 350 students, so there is lots of one-on-one attention from the professors, which was something I really wanted. The location is great, it's in a wooded canyon just a mile away from the beach.

Also, it's perfect distance from my family, not too far but not too close!

Aaaand, they gave me a scholarship B)

Posted

It's a very small school, 350 students, so there is lots of one-on-one attention from the professors, which was something I really wanted. The location is great, it's in a wooded canyon just a mile away from the beach.

Also, it's perfect distance from my family, not too far but not too close!

Aaaand, they gave me a scholarship B)

Nice, best advice I can give you is work your richard simmons off. :P

Posted

I am finishing my final year at Ontario College of Art and Design in Illustration.

Ahhh the illustration world is so tough. I wonder how I'm going to survive my last year, especially with thesis. :tears:

and I feel like I'm the only one.

Posted

I am finishing my final year at Ontario College of Art and Design in Illustration.

Ahhh the illustration world is so tough. I wonder how I'm going to survive my last year, especially with thesis. :tears:

and I feel like I'm the only one.

Nice, good luck in the field.

May we get a link to your portfolio? or blog?

Posted

Interior design major! :)

Posted

OHH finally an Art Thread!

i used to be a Sequential Art/Cartooning/Comic Book Drawing (they're all the same depending on how/what college names it) major,

practically a Manga-ka.

but i switched to Graphic Design so i could incorporate Drawing, Photography and Photoshop all in one.

I did plan on going to SCAD, got accepted there but never went 'cos money was a huge issue,

then I thought of transferring to SVA, but decided to just stick in my own state college,

eh we'll see how things work out for me.

:sweatingbullets:

Posted

OHH finally an Art Thread!

i used to be a Sequential Art/Cartooning/Comic Book Drawing (they're all the same depending on how/what college names it) major,

practically a Manga-ka.

but i switched to Graphic Design so i could incorporate Drawing, Photography and Photoshop all in one.

I did plan on going to SCAD, got accepted there but never went 'cos money was a huge issue,

then I thought of transferring to SVA, but decided to just stick in my own state college,

eh we'll see how things work out for me.

:sweatingbullets:

Well, played. Many students at Ringling are here after switching from SCAD. Awesome though, nothing wrong with a state college, just work hard. Our graphic designers spend very long nights in the labs, which are open 24 hours for good reason.

Posted

i'm interested in black and white film photography(takin it old school :P) ...took a course last year in hs...

i'm trying to find a college that has photography and biology...

D: this is hard.

Posted

Woo~ an Art & Design Thread!!

I'm currently in my second year at Eastern Michigan University majoring in Graphic Design.

I chose GD lul GD = gdragon too because I LOOOVE drawing/photoshop/photography/making cool stuff. ;D

I plan on transferring to College for Creative Studies up here in Detroit!!! (don't worry, D-town maybe the most dangerous cities, but it's located in the nice part of it.)

I want to transfer because, well, the art program at EMU is GREAT if you want to become an Art Teacher... not ferr meh.

i'm trying to find a college that has photography and biology...

Then I suggest some kind of university. I don't really know much about other states, but University of Michigan has a pretty good art program and it's got a great science program.