Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stereotyped Because Of Where You Live ?

71 posts in this topic

Posted

just curious.

Are there any stereotypes about the place you live ? Any certain accent or label people immediately associate your area with ? Are they true or untrue ?

For instance, someone living in California might be stereotyped as a " valley girl " et cetera.

( I'm sorry if this isn't clear or if it has been posted before. )

My area is stereotyped as being very country / rural, with lots of unintelligent rednecks and people marrying their cousins. It's also assumed that we eat everything deep-fried, everyone is grossly obese and everyone has a thick Southern accent. Someone who moved here from Boston actually thought that we didn't wear shoes, haha ! These are not true, for the most part.

share yours ! :)

Posted

I live in Canada, so i'm sure there are some who thinks we live in igloos and go ice fishing with snowshoes on.

More realistically, I live in a pretty well off area so ppl I've met from other schools think we're rich, spoiled and preppy kids whose parents all work for big oil companies. My area is also heavily populated by Asians, so I'm automatically assumed to be nerdy, good at math, and a goody-2-shoe.

Posted

I live in the US in the south. People assume we all talk in southern accents and do not know how to speak English correctly... that all we eat is fried chicken and okra (ewww). Atlanta specifically gets stereotyped as being "ghetto" I think... 'cause of all the "hip hop" stars from here.

Posted

Yep, u can get stereotyped where u live. That's why i don't put it on my resume.... discrimnation.

Posted

I also live in Canada and a lot of people seem to think i have a pet penguin and polarbear, and they ask how i get internet in my little igloo. Sometimes i play along to get a laugh lol.

Posted

hippiehop - I was in Georgia the other day ! :) I'm from the next state over.

Jnn / CupcakeCandy - That's strange ! I never thought about those stereotypes ; igloos and polar bears sound a lot like what everyone assumes about Alaska ! But I'm sure you guys get annoyed of people thinking you say " eh ? " after everything, right ?

Posted

i live in australia

people sorta think i live in this outback and that we have wombats and stuff for pets. ">_>

and that "aussie" accent that americans do in their skits. i just want to slap them >=|

Posted

I live in Canada as well so we're stereotyped as people living in deserted cold, snowy weather all year long inside igloos accompanied by wolfs and polar bears, and that we always say 'eh'.

But with me, because I was born in NYC, people always analyze my speech to see if I have that New York accent even when I tell them that I moved when I was young. Then, even if it's a joke, some guy friends are always like, "Oh, your brother's a part of so-and-so gang!" Definitely not true and for sure annoying. :|

Posted

I live in the US in the south. People assume we all talk in southern accents and do not know how to speak English correctly... that all we eat is fried chicken and okra (ewww). Atlanta specifically gets stereotyped as being "ghetto" I think... 'cause of all the "hip hop" stars from here.

omgah i know!

esp with the ATL part....haha yep i'm from atl too~ aha

well, I live in the south in the US, and people think we eat southern food all the time, have a southern accent (for most of the part, that's kinda true? i mean it's not like you can hear it, we just use words you wouldn't hear from NYC or something lol)

And they think that it's ghetto here....not everywhere is...TRUST ME. lol....

Posted

Australia, we have kangaroos as our pets and ride them to school. We also wrestle crocodiles for fun, crikey. :lol: haha

Posted

Yes, in North London, people from other parts of the UK assume everyone here speaks with a cockney accent and are chavs.

Haha, well in my area there are a lot of them (chavs are soo annoying), but still dunno why people get so surprised when I speak with a standard english accent.

Although foreign people seem to think we all speak Queen's english <_< ...and thats only probably 1% of the population. I dont even know anyone that speaks like that.

And another annoying thing because I live near Arsenal stadium people expect you to be big Arsenal fans and its like horrifying when I say no I support Man United. LOL.

Posted

I live in Philadelphia, and some people assume I'm gonna shoot them one day.

Oh, and they assume that I could make cheese steaks.

>.<

That's all I could think of now.

Posted

HECKKK YES.

living in sf, stereotypes: crazy, tattoos & piercings, gay/lesbian/bi, etc.

i've lived there for 2 years and i don't think i've really changed, but all my friends are saying that i'm turning "crazy" BECAUSE of sf. since i've lived in sf, i've gotten one tattoo, but i would've gotten it if i lived anywhere else.

also, stereotypes of east side san jose: vietnamese & mexican.

nothing's wrong with vietnamese or mexican (almost all my friends are vietnamese), but that's just what ppl think when i tell them i'm from there. -_____-

stereotypes are annoying.

Posted

Yeahh~ pretty much here where i live too

I live in Long island, NY and people labeled it as a white area and bunch of rich people and bunch of houses LOL.

i used to live in queens, NY where like everybody are like city people, ghetto-ish. Actually queens just diverse hahaha x]

Posted

I live in the OC. People think we're just like the characters from the show -_____________-.

Posted

I live in Canada, so i'm sure there are some who thinks we live in igloos and go ice fishing with snowshoes on.

More realistically, I live in a pretty well off area so ppl I've met from other schools think we're rich, spoiled and preppy kids whose parents all work for big oil companies. My area is also heavily populated by Asians, so I'm automatically assumed to be nerdy, good at math, and a goody-2-shoe.

sounds like alberta LOL.

Where I live, also in Canada, in this neighbourhood if you are my race you are automatically thought of as troublemaking, theives, ect. Just because of a few retards. :angry:

Posted

Hahaha that reminds me, a comedian ( I think it was Joe Koy ? ) said he came here and he was the " ONLY ASIAN in the WHOLE STATE " or something; it made me laugh because it's kind of true, we only have a small percentage of Asian kids and a lot of white and black. But he said it like being an Asian person in this state means that everyone will stare at you funny and think you're a ninja ... that's not true, of course. :P

Posted

I live in Australia and everyone thinks I go to school by a Kangaroo. XD

And that we all live in the outback with pet wombats and koalas. With those hat with those fly thingies on them.

Posted

When I tell people where I'm from they immediately think I'm a stuck-up, rich, metropolitan,

spoiled brat. That is so far from the truth but hey I guess that's what stereotypes are.

Posted

Hula, surfing, living in grass shacks...

I am used to it~ Hahha.

Needless to say I don't do hula,

or living in a grass shack.

I don't surf for that matter either,

because I can't swim. XD

Ahh Hawaii~