Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extracting Wisdom Tooth Can Lead To A Slimmer Face?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

friend told me this....
My friend told me the facial structure can change if you extract the top 2 wisdom tooth? Like if your face was a bit rounder, it can be more oval cause the width of the faces gets smaller? is that really true? I never heard of this before.....wouldn't extracting teeth be part of plastic surgery then?? does the cheekbone itself gets smaller in width and you lose that bump or something?

Posted

It depends on how your teeth are aligned. For most people, their teeth are aligned in this parabolic manner:

baby_teeth.jpg

If your teeth jut out more (having a wider parabola shape) then it is possible that removing your wisdom teeth could reduce the size of the lower half of your face. The same could be said about braces. For me, the removal of wisdom teeth reduced the width of my face but braces caused my jaw line and chin to be rounder. I used to have a rather pointy chin.

For most people, wisdom teeth extraction will have no significant effect on their facial structure.

Posted

Iunno if its my imagination or not, but I got an "extra' tooth removed from my teeth and ever since then I've had this weird "dimple" on the top of my cheek when I smile ==;;~ So it might be true, but I'm not sure.

I think Pearlgirl's explaination is better. Probably also explains why my face looks chubbier now that I have braces :(.

Posted

i agree with pearlgirl! it depends on how your wisdom teeth are aligned.

i got all four of mine removed b/c they were underneath the gums and growing forward (towards my chin)

so my chubby cheeks are still chubby. haha ^^;;

Posted

I had a lot of my teeth removed due to my braces and I haven't noticed a change in my face.

But, depending on your dentist and how it's coming out....extracting wisdom teeth = $$

Posted

i agree with pearlgirl! it depends on how your wisdom teeth are aligned.

i got all four of mine removed b/c they were underneath the gums and growing forward (towards my chin)

so my chubby cheeks are still chubby. haha ^^;;

yupyup! my wisdom teeth were impacted (growing sideways instead of up) so if i didn't get them extracted i would've had manyyy problems later on. but that's not the point. xD it didn't change my face shape because.. well they were growing forward haha. i don't think it'd be considered plastic surgery. unless you consider removing any teeth plastic surgery...

Posted

yupyup! my wisdom teeth were impacted (growing sideways instead of up) so if i didn't get them extracted i would've had manyyy problems later on. but that's not the point. xD it didn't change my face shape because.. well they were growing forward haha. i don't think it'd be considered plastic surgery. unless you consider removing any teeth plastic surgery...

so it if grows forward and impacted the gums, then it won't make a difference

BUT if its growing normally, then the cheeks get smaller, is that what you're saying??

Posted

hmmm I'll have to get back to you on this. I'm getting mine out in a few weeks, and since my face is pretty round, it'll be easy to tell if it becomes slimmer or not, I hope.

I'm scared of the pain though. ;____; horrible experience at the dentist a few years back.

Posted

ah I just had my teeth out and it slimmed my face only because one of my teeth grew out towards my cheek until it scrapped it making it swollen.

also, slimmer face may be due to not being able to eat after the surgery haha.

Posted

^hahah i agree, days/weeks of eating mush =X

the point of removing wisdom teeth is usually so that your jaw shape does not change, since when wisdom teeth come out [17-25 years old], you've usually already had braces, etc.

even if the teeth are growing normally, if you remove them, there will just be a gap in your gums, unless you get braces to shift your whole jaw back again..

wisdom_teeth_01_en.jpg

all in all, i doubt it will be that much of a difference, and all for a slimmer face?

if you haven't had braces though, then you could talk with your orthodontist: my ortho decided to pull two of my teeth and shift my jaw back along with braces; i guess that could help achieve a slimmer face?

can't really tell though, i still have cute cheeks --;;

Posted

some people do.. but it doesn't work for every.

Same thing w/ braces.. it makes people's faces slimmer

but all in all.. i'm GUESSING that your face would slim down cuz during your "healing" period you can't eat anything but soup =P

therefore

wisdom tooth extraction = weightloss = slimmer face LOL

.. i kinda want my wisdom teeth out now O_o jks jks

Posted

I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Wisdom teeth are removed because there isn't room for them to grow in.

And your face definitely will not be smaller the first day :P

Some people look like chipmunks.

Posted

i'd see it more as when your wisdom teeth come in..your face gets a little wider. then when you pull them out, they get slimmer..but its your normal face size x_x

Posted

REALLY?! OMFG

maybe after the swelling...ur face slims down :o

that'd be great :3

Posted

Lol. I doubt it. The only real slimming you'd get is because you can't chew food after the extraction. And also when the swelling goes down, but that doesn't really matter because your face was slimmer before the swelling anyway.

Posted

Yes! For a couple years I was trying to figure out why my face has completely changed. And seriously...after i got my wisdom teeth out (i had extensive surgery done because it was so bad...) my face shape changed completely...losing heaps of weight also contributed to this as well.

Posted

If so...

mine should come quicklyy :D

so i can get them extracted

my face is pretty round :(

>=[

Posted

Maybe for caucasian faces but not for most rounder faced asians.

I did get my wisdom teeth extracted and i was hoping for the same result, but when i asked the dentist if it would be possible for me he showed me the xray of my jawline and how the teeth were within the muscle tissue of the jaw. if i wanted a slimmer face i would have to have my jaw Shaved.

So it depends on how thin your cheeks are...

T_T

Posted

Like ulzzangholic said, that kind of "side effect" usually happens to caucasians...

A lot of my friends got their wisdom teeth extracted and their face looked slimmer after. I don't know if it's because they had to survice on liquid foods for a while and lost weight but I guess it could happen.

Posted

How interesting, but I'm pretty sure the reason why your face gets slimmer is because it hurts too much for you to consume food when you pull out your wisdom teeth.