Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Found Out I'm Lactose Intolerance! Not Food Posion

0 posts in this topic

Posted

Asians are nearly 100% affected..are you one of them?
The most common cause of lactase deficiency is a decrease in the amount of lactase that occurs after childhood and persists into adulthood, referred to as adult-type hypolactasia. This decrease is genetically programmed, and the prevalence of this type of lactase deficiency among different ethnic groups is highly variable. Thus, among Asian populations it is almost 100%, among American Indians it is 80%, and among blacks it is 70%; however, among American Caucasians the prevalence of lactase deficiency is only 20%. In addition to variability in the prevalence of lactase deficiency, there also is variability in the age at which symptoms of lactose intolerance appear. Thus, among Asian populations, the symptoms of deficiency (intolerance) occur around the age of 5, among Blacks and Mexican-Americans by the age of 10, and among the Finnish by age 20.

http://www.medicinenet.com/lactose_intoler...rticle.htm#tocc

try to drink, eat dairy on an empty stomach and you should get the symptoms

Posted

I'm half Korean, escaped this one thankfully, I drink 1 1/2 gallons of milk a week between drinking it at breakfast and protein shakes.

I know a few people who have minor lactose intolerance, as you described. You can condition your body to be more receptive, but typically just take your milk with food, and it's fine. I'd avoid taking the pills, they're very intense and can cause a lot of terrible side effects...

Posted

i'm not one of the "almost 100%" :mellow:

I always drink a glass of milk on an empty stomach every morning my whole life.

It's the first thing I do after I wake up. It's my breakfast.

Posted

i don't think i'm lactose intolerant, but i do dislike milk. i've never tried anything dairy on an empty stomach though ...

Posted

don't know if im lactose intolerant or i just hate it :x

i can't drink milk straight up.... can't drink milkshakes anymore either.

milk in coffee and hot chocolate is okay. icecream i can do but yeah... not straight up - i've come to hate it :x i like cereal though so i have to do without the milk and munch on it like a snack :x

you can become lactose intolerant right?

Posted

^you can't become lactose intolerant. you're just born with it.

is it really nearly 100% asians?

that sounds rather unlikely.

im asian and im not lactose intolerant

Posted

is it really nearly 100% asians?

that sounds rather unlikely.

im asian and im not lactose intolerant

Err, lactose intolerance can be developed. over time asians tends to reduce its lactase (the enzyme use to break down).

People may just suffer minor lactase deficiency.

Posted

I recently found out I'm lactose intolerant as well. I drank one whole glass of milk & had stomach discomfort after that. I thought it was...food poisoning or something until I did my research. Now I cant eat ice-cream/cereal with milk for breakfast/any dairy product without having stomach discomfort after that. I hate it... :(

Posted

i m not lactose intolerant but i hate the straight taste of milk. its utterly disgusting to me. i drink soy milk or fortified orange juice.

Posted

I'm not lactose intolerant. I don't know any asians who are lactose intolerant o_O

Posted

gosh i've never thought about this

but as far as im concerned, im okay if drink milk, in fact, i luv milk!

Posted

Not true.

When you're a baby, you have the enzyme that breaks down lactose called lactase, but as you grow up, a lot of people don't produce that enzyme anymore.

And er, personally, no I'm not lactose intolerant.

I can drink milk just fine lol.

Posted

nope. no one of my family is, one of my friends hates the taste of milk. thats it.

Posted

i'm lactose intolerant... and i guess i'm "one of those asians." i used to be able to eat and drink dairy when i was a kid, but as i grew older, it started to give me serious pains.

i get terrible stomache aches when i drink milk, eat cheese, or too much ice cream.

i love ice cream too much, so i just learn to sit through the pain lol

i suffer horrible stomache pains after eating stuff like too many slices of pizza or nachos.

so whenever i go to starbucks, i get my drinks with soy milk. frappaccinos i'll get every once in awhile, but i'd have to suck it up and deal with the pain afterwards lol

my parents can't drink or eat dairy without getting stomache pains either.

Posted

100% of asians lactose intolerant?? not sure about that one, i drink milk all the time ^_^

Posted

It's only a problem for me with milk-based drinks.

Which sucks because I love them.

I drink them anyway, or I'll get soy milk or Lactaid if I have extra money.

Posted

well, that would be a problem for the babies.

so yeah, i think you sort of develop it when you're older

Posted

i thought everyone knew this.. everyone is a little bit lactose intolerant, especially on an empty stomach.

Posted

my parents and brother are intolerant. they're locked up in the bathroom after a while hahah. i'm not as bad. but i cant drink excessve amounts. more than a cup is already a little much