Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Tying Up Wet Hair Bad?

0 posts in this topic

Posted

My mom has always been telling me NOT to tie hair up when it's wet (not damp/near-dry), but I just don't know what's so bad about it. Before functions I always tie my wet hair up in a bun after shower and sleep with it so the next morning I get soft curls without applying heat to it.

Is it bad if you tie up your hair when it's wet? Like, does it give you a headache or something?! :mellow:

Posted

It can cause breakage. Wet hair in general is vulnerable to damage.

Posted

I agree with slynn. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

My parents have also told me that sleeping with wet hair will give you headaches (either now, or later in life) lol, but I don't think there's actually any scientific evidence to prove this.

Posted

I agree with slynn[/n]. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

My parents have also told me that sleeping with wet hair will give you headaches (either now, or later in life) lol, but I don't think there's actually any scientific evidence to prove this.

My mom has always told me that sleeping with wet hair gives you lice :mellow:

I dunno how she came up with that.

Posted

well i don't like the dents in my hair and i sometimes get a headache after sleeping with my wet hair in a bun >_<

Posted

i find it sorta unsanitary... idk why

your hair is wet and your just bundling it up all together. I feel like it's gonna smell like a wet dog >_>;;;;;;

Posted

I was told it is

breakage, have you noticed when you tie your hair that

when you take the bobble off that it has hair on it

hair breakage or when you brush it why so much hair comes out.

Breakage easier when damp.

Posted

hair breakage

because your pulling your roots and when your hair's wet the roots are really soft and fragile then

that's why when your hair is wet and you comb it lots of it come out

:blink:

Posted

When your hair is wet, it stretches.. If you pull your hair back into a ponytail and let it dry, the hair shrinks, and since it's held on by the hair tie, breakage and hair loss happens. I guess it's okay if it's a loose ponytail..but people who pull their hair back really tight often, start getting wider foreheads because they're slowly pulling their hairline back

Posted

i heard that you get dandruff if you do it too much

Posted

always dry your hair before you pull it up in a pony tail and go to sleep.

I started doing that during high school in korea, because i didnt have time to dry it. and in a week, i started to get mad scalp problems and dandruff. your scalp begins to shed.

ever since then, i always dry my hair, and i never had dandruff again.

:]

Posted

i think to tie hair with wet hair makes me lose hair :( gosh. sighhhh

Posted

hmm..well im not sure...what i causes..i think its just breakages..

but my hairdresser used to get pissed off at me..cause..i tied my hair up will it was wet

...umm sleeping with wet hair..causes..colds...

but..i always do that... -.-

Posted

well i don't like the dents in my hair and i sometimes get a headache after sleeping with my wet hair in a bun >_<

YEAH

i don't like doing anything to my wet hair when its drying

or i get all these weird grooves, etc haha

Posted

it gives me headaches. maybe it's just me but still it's super un-comfy x_x

Posted

umm i think it also tends to lead to breakage of your hair..... my momo is a hairdresser so she loves to nag me : )

Posted

It also gives me headaches. And aside from that it will be more prone to breakage.

Posted

I agree with slynn. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

I think it's because it makes your head cold, and when your head is cold, you get headaches, or something like that.

Posted

My mom told me that putting up my hair while it's wet gives me an headache when I wake up if I sleep with it.

Never happend to me but I get a frizzy volumized hair the next day :crazy: I usually have straight soft hair.

It may cause you hairloss but otherwise, I dony know...

Posted

breakage and it can cause your hairline to go up higher (which is not attractive at all) if you get what i mean.