Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When You Say You Do An All-nighter, Till What Time Do You Mean?

120 posts in this topic

Posted

To finish papers or learn for exams...
Reason why I thought of this is....

I had to turn in a paper today. I really started too late (yesterday, yes, I am a procrastinator) and worked through the night and morning to finish it. In the end, I finished at 9 o'clock in the morning. :sweatingbullets: Then only slept 3 hours and then woke up to turn it in for the deadline at the university.

The worst thing is that this isn't even a record for me. I'm trying to improve myself, but ever since I found out that I can actually be okay (the adrenaline and stress keeps me up) with doing all-nighters (all-mornings?) I started to procrastinate even more.

Anyone do the same?

Posted

yes, :tears: the most was FIRST day i was awake until 3am, then i lied down stared out the ceiling trying to get to sleep. I don't even know if I did fell asleep, but then i got up at 5 am printing stuff, but then i noticed i had a mistake re-read and re-wrote everything then i re-printed stuff out. then turned in paper at 9am. but then the SECOND day i pulled an all nighter, (i like didn't sleep for 2 days) and then stayed up like 12 am- 2am and then went to sleep and turned in the next paper presentation at 2 am.

so basically i was awake for like 2 days , i don't even remember sleeping those two days, i probably slept in class, and my class was basically asleep as well. because normally everyone is really rowdy, but it was hella quiet.

And then we found out that the last paper presentation WASN't EVEN GRADED!!!! no!!!!! we stayed up for nothing......

Posted

I dont sleep at all LOL...for example, I procrastinated on this project which was due the nxt day and I had to print 27+ scholarly articles and summarize them. I dont think I slept for the past 2 days...but I was mad tired afterwards lol

Posted

I would call an all-nighter a night with no sleep at all, or very little, like less than an hour.

I only did that once in high school. I worked all night on my philosophy term paper (it was 2000 words.. T_T), dozed from about 6-7 a.m., then went to school at 8. Luckily for me, it was the day before the start of winter holidays, so we only had a half-day. Ugh, went home and slept.

Other than that, I usually get at least 3-4 hours of sleep when I do my other papers, even when I procrastinate. But I don't really consider those as all-nighters, just close.

Posted

I actually never did an all-nighter. I think its just cause when im too tired I just cant focus. The max would usually be until 3 am but then it would be at home comfortable, half chatting, half studying.

But I guess im not really a procrastinator (though it happens) so I never really have the need to study so late. But my boyfriend is and its always so funny to hear him staying up so late at night cause he decided that a nap during study time the day before was essential lol

Posted

All-nighter? At least three if I know i have class early in the morning.

I try not to do an all nighter because I have really bad sleeping habits and I haven't been sleeping lately, usually always sleeping late.

If I have to get up by 6:30 the next day, because I live off campus, then I would try to do it around two or three in the morning.

If I have a later class around 11, then I usually would say three as well. Always need a good night sleep.

Once I stayed up until seven in the morning, and skipped my morning class. Bad idea.

Posted

all nighters mean all night with no sleep. :( So that means after you finish your paper last minute, you head to school and turn it in ahaha.

that was jr year in high school.

Now I barely pull almost all-nighters-- Going to sleep at 4-5 ish working on my papers.... that was soph year in college.

Posted

all nighters mean you stay up till the suns already up lol. I literally am unable to structure out/plan essays, so I type it all up the day before it's due. Except now they're like, 10 pages for classes. Seriously by the time I'm done with it, it's past 7, my hands are shaking from exhaustion, and I only have and hour or two to rest before class. FUN FUN.

Posted

out of my four years of college, i don't think i ever finished a paper couple of days before the due date.

Posted

An all-nighter to me is when you stay up all night and you don't get any sleep until you are done your work or studies.

OR when you stay up all night and then you go through the next day without any naps or sleep in between (not the best feeling).

The longest I ever stayed up because of an all-nighter was for 38 hours. I was so brain dead that I couldn't sleep after I handed in my assignment.

Posted

Ever heard of Architecture majors?

All-nighter is a lost word to us -- we just sleep whenever and wherever we can.

No complaints though, it's what we love to do. :)

Posted

I don't think I've ever pulled an all nighter. I try to sleep at 9 PM so I can wake up at 6 AM for my daily commute. So I do get plenty of sleep.

When I know a paper is due, then I spend all week organizing it in my head, formulating the thesis and knowing what passages to quote and things like that. So the night before I will usually give myself 1-2 hours to type everything I already thought about. Usually works.

Posted

I used to pull all-nighters sometimes for essays and such, but now I'm doing it very frequently for lab reports and tests. I hate them so much I wish I could stab them. It's getting pretty bad so I usually doze off in class to get some sleep.

Posted

I've never pulled an all nighter before

stayed up till 2-3 in the morning though

Some of my friends actually don't sleep at all

Finish their papers at 6 in the morning and then get ready to go hand in their papers before 9AM

I was amazed

Posted

my definition of an all-nighter is:

waking up the day before at 6am to go to school, work right after school til 2 the next morning, start a 12 page paper that is due by noon and finishing it at 10am with enough time to get the professor a christmas card. basically about a 30-hour day with no sleep in between.

otherwise, my minimum requirement for an all-nighter is starting at 8pm and finishing at least 6am with little to no sleep in between

Posted

well... usually, all nighter applies if you stayed up till sunrise to accomplish your task. once dawn breaks, ur free to sleep and as congratulations for pulling the all nighter.

Ever heard of Architecture majors?

All-nighter is a lost word to us -- we just sleep whenever and wherever we can.

No complaints though, it's what we love to do.

yea, all my arch friends ever did was take short naps at the studio. they never got consistent sleep...

Posted

I don't think I've ever pulled an all nighter. I try to sleep at 9 PM so I can wake up at 6 AM for my daily commute. So I do get plenty of sleep.

When I know a paper is due, then I spend all week organizing it in my head, formulating the thesis and knowing what passages to quote and things like that. So the night before I will usually give myself 1-2 hours to type everything I already thought about. Usually works.

Dang. You're so efficient. It takes me 1-2 hours to get into writing mode, and then probably 8 hours to finish the paper. ):

Oh, yeah. My roomie and another housemate are architecture majors. they never sleep. it's so sad. i can never complain about being tired because my roommate probably slept a few hours if lucky.

all-nighters to me ranges from no sleep to less than an hour. i've always gotten at least an hour of sleep although i don't know how effective it was... lol. but that was once in my past years in college. i usually get 6 or 7. yes. i'm spoiled.

Posted

When I pull an all-nighter, I generally mean I totally lost an entire day's sleep: I worked all through the night and morning, went to class and did whatever I needed to do during the day, and then slept finally the next night. I just did that for an essay due today, actually, since I was stupid and left it for the very end of the four-day weekend. It's still an all-nighter if I get some sleep or nap after I finish, though, so I guess if I finish working after sunup it's still an all-nighter. I would've napped for a while this evening before waking up to do more studying, but I have a rehearsal to leave for in about 10 minutes, so no sleep for me until after 10:30 PM today. I'm actually feeling OK right now, but I can tell I'm tired. I'm so glad I have nowhere to be until 1 PM on Wednesdays!

I remember doing all-nighters all the time my junior year of high school. Man, I hate them, but I'm way too used to doing it.

Posted

all nighter means staying up all night/day until i'm done whatever i need to get done.

the longest i've stayed up was last year for about 4 days. it was the worst. i had so much coffee and so many energy drinks it felt like my body was breaking down.

i don't know how i did it...staying up for just a night is hard for me now -_-

Posted

all-nighter for me usually means not sleeping at all. The most I've gone was 26hours, I spent the night at the library (we have this 24hour section) then in the morning I went to upstairs and continued. I was doing an assignment and throughout the 26hours there were all these other students discussing about it, loudly at 6am, then another group would come in at 8am and discuss. Annoyed the hell out of me.