Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Only Asians Have Single Eyelids ?

61 posts in this topic

Posted

Some asians have double eyelids,

but do single-eyelids only apply for asians ?

Or can other races have them too ?

Posted

Nope, I have plenty of friends of other races who has single eyelids! :]]

It's not just Asians.

Posted

Nope its not only asians, its just stereotyped with asians -__-

Posted

i don't think it's just with asians...

i had a friend back in high school who was Caucasian (Irish to be exact) and she had asian eyes

it actually suited her well too :D

Posted

isnt it called the asian fold??

AHA cuz my friends calls it that XP

Posted

Goshh. People from any race can have it, it's only Asians that get made fun of.

Posted

no, i've seen other people have it.... but i see a lot of Asian that have double lids.. it could be plastic surgery... but practically my whole family has double eyelids...

Posted

Nope, not just asians. Asians just get made fun of it for it. D:

Posted

I'm sure others have it also, I have double eyelids and I'm Asian soo..

Posted

mhm other races can have it too lol~

and asians who dont have single eyelid :P

Posted

im asian but i have a double eyelid.

im pretty sure there are other races w/ single eyelid

Posted

i know a jamacian or african american afterschool teacher with single eyelid...

not just asian...

and im asian, i have double eyelid...

Posted

i'm sure we aren't the only ones

but i haven't seen anyone else with single eyelids though -.-

Posted

when ppl get old and saggy, their creases start getting less defined due to their saggy skin and thus lose their crease.

i've seen it with many white grandmas. but obviously with the asians the most though.

Posted

no.

kobe-home.gif

others can have them as well.

wikipedia:

An epicanthal fold, epicanthic fold, or epicanthus is a skin fold of the upper eyelid (from the nose to the inner side of the eyebrow) covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the human eye. The epicanthal fold is present in people of East Asian and Southeast Asian descent, as well as other ethnic groups including some Native Americans and Africans. Epicanthal folds may also be seen in young children of any race before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate.

The term "epicanthal fold" refers to a visually categorized feature; however the underlying physiological reason and purpose for its presence in any given individual may be entirely different.

All humans initially develop epicanthal folds in the womb. Some children lose them by birth, but epicanthal folds may also be seen in young children of any ethnicity before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate. They may persist where birth is pre-term, and sometimes also where the mother is alcoholic. [1]

Epicanthal folds can cause a child's eyes to appear crossed, a scenario known as pseudostrabismus.

In many persons of caucasian background and other groups who do not commonly possess the trait, the presence of the epicanthal fold can be a symptom of fetal alcohol syndrome, chromosomal disorders such as Down syndrome (Trisomy 21),[2], Cri du Chat syndrome, or pre-term birth.

There are numerous populations, across the world, that lack an epicanthic fold. However, the epicanthic fold is common in people of many, though not all groups of East Asian and Southeast Asian descent. It is found in significant numbers amongst Native Americans, the Khoisan of Southern Africa, many Central Asians and some people of Sami origin, and also of Irish origin. It also present on people of Tibetan descent, especially Tibetans and North-East Burmese people. Due to classic genetics children of a parent with a pronounced epicanthal fold and one without an epicanthal fold will have varying degrees of epicanthal folds as a result.

In Asian ethnicities, the presence of an epicanthic fold is associated with a less prominent upper eyelid crease, commonly termed "single eyelids" as opposed to "double eyelids". The two features are distinct; a person may have both epicanthal fold and upper eyelid crease, one and not the other, or neither.

Posted

some Nordic and East Africans have them.

Posted

I don't really know. I don't recall seeing a non-Asian with single eyelids... but I don't like look you know? Never really thought about it. I can't imagine them having single eyelids though, lol. But since people are saying they do... :P

Posted

Post this in Beauty and Health, not general discussion!

Posted

like everyone said, no...but I think single eyelids are most common in Asians than any other people.

Posted

woahh.. i never knew that.

i always learn something new on soompi =D