Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Guest vignette

Hi everyone it's been a while...

I'm sad to hear that Yong Joon-ssi and Director Zhang Yimou weren't able to meet due to conflict in their schedule. I remember how happy BYJ was when he got a chance to have a face to face entounter with the esteemed director during his visit to China.

Guest dragonbaby

Hi liezle!

Hi Everyone!

I had to echo your comments about missing "HRH". I think we are all feeling kinda lonely since there's been little news and pictures lately.

I know I'm a few years behind, but I recently purchased "The Image". I've seen all the photos everyone has been kind enough to share, but I just had to have my very own copy. It's such a wonderful collection of pictures and I really enjoyed the DVD. He was most candid about the project and what it took for him to get into shape for the photo shoot. I really admire him for his dedication and I find such inspiration from all that he does. Now, to keep my New Years Resolution to keep fit - mentally and physically.

Here's wishing YJ and crew ALL THE BEST for a successful completion of TWSSG/LEGEND.

がんばって ください Yong Joon ssi!!

Hello everyone! Just came back from a meeting :)

hi hi mariko! Geez, still no news? Btw, i read in an article posted by rosiebaba in www.joonsfamily.com that Yong Joon is set to make a movie in Japan. The article said that Yong Joon is apparently slated to take part in a joint Japan-Korea movie to start filming in May.

Here's the source for the news :

MAINICHI DAILY NEWS

February 2, 2007

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/face/...0dm030000c.html

as we all know, we're not supposed to believe everything we read unless we have confirmation from BOF :)

Anyway, the article is about yong joon's income again.

hello munchee! glad that you liked AS. love his look there too as Insoo.

hi hi xling06! we're hoping that the drama will be broadcasted in May. can't wait for it to air soon. i'm also hoping that TWSSG will be as successful.

hey dragonbaby :) congratulations! i'm so happy for your for having your copy of "The Image Vol. 1" It's a gem owning one :) don't you just love his body? he worked so hard for it :) he many not that bulky anymore but he still keep his body fit. i admire his dicipline being fit which i don't have...argh!

Guest Marikoo

Yong Joon is set to make a movie in Japan? I have no idea. Haven't heard anything like this

before. and I noticed there are some errors about the numbers written there. First of all it's

a 1972 wine not 1970 which is the year he was born and the price of of his figurine is 39,000

yen not 390,000 yen. Is he getting 20 million dollars for Secom CF? I doubt that Secom give

him royalty aside from his CF talent fee.

One more thing, the original article in Korean said that he'll get 60-70% from the income of

the LEGEND which starts airing in May. This earning is anticipated not from a certain movie

but from the drama LEGEND. They should be more accurate bec they just copied what Korean

papers reported. When I find time today, I'll probably bring this to their attention.

Yong Joon is set to make a movie in Japan? I have no idea. Haven't heard anything like this before.

and I noticed there are some errors about the numbers written there. First of all it's a 1972 wine

not 1970 which is the year he was born and the price of of his figurine in 39,000 yen not 390,000 yen. Is he getting 20 million dollars for Secom CF? I doubt that Secom give him royalty aside from his CF talent fee.

One more thing, the original article in Korean said that he'll get 60-70% from the income of the LEGEND which starts airing in May. This earning is anticipated not from a certain movie but from the drama LEGEND. They should be more accurate bec they just copied what what Korean papers reported. When I find time today, I'll probably bring this to their attention.

thanks mariko for the corrections. actually, i don't like that article. there's some kind of hostility in it. and i just read joanne's comment about the article in Quilt. tsk tsk tsk...poor writer he doesn't know what he's talking about.

hey, bb is back! [welcome back bb!] and she just posted 2 articles. here's the continuation of the series, "from the eyes of the reports" .

[Trans] from the eyes of reporters (3/6)

Original in Japanese: It's Koreal 2007/01

Posted by: Yukihosi / KOB

Translated into Chinese: 且听风吟1225 / 百度赤足青春吧

Translated into English: Juz A Sister (JAS) / bb’s blog

Six Korean Entertainment Reporters

Talk about Bae Yong Joon Anonymously

# Despite His Seemingly Relaxed Expression,

One can Feel His Weariness and Tension

from His Body Gestures

While flipping through different channels, my eyes became fixated on a TV channel in its midst of broadcasting an entertainment variety show. There were a few entertainers casually cracking jokes, chatting about this and that. I don’t usually pay attention to this kind of programs, but I don’t know why, I actually watched right till the end.

The topic for the show that day was ‘Entertainers too watch other entertainers’. Even amongst entertainers themselves, they also have a ‘most ideal’ one in their minds. Who is that ultimate person? I heard many names being mentioned, of course some of them are deserving of the title.

Finally, all the entertainers present spoke out unanimously, “Bae Yong Joon is the finest!!” This is the opening statement of renowned critic and movie columnist Mr S.

Yong Joon, being crowned ‘The Most Watched Entertainer Amongst Other Entertainers’, is addressed as ‘Yonsama’ in Asia. He who is on the receiving end of much love and concern, is already a proven solid actor for over a decade. When you look around the current Korean entertainment circle where every actor, singer, entertainer deviates from their roots, he has been guarding his position as an actor for 12 years without swaying. He only focuses himself on acting, never focusing on quick fame or quick money; he concentrates only on performing itself.

A person such as Bae Yong Joon… through a TV love drama ‘Winter Sonata’, he became ‘Yonsama’ overnight. He turned into an Asian superstar representing Korea, became a cultural exchange ambassador, and even a key figure having to express his political standing.

This year, it’s the 5th year of him becoming Yonsama …..

He does not mind and does not seem to be bothered about the ever growing and increasingly intensified ‘Yonsama passion’. Instead he rises above the fame and nonchalantly casts aside the Yonsama title, as he immersed his heart and soul into acting out different characters in every piece of his works.

“Every time when we see Bae Yong Joon, it’s always an elegant image of classy suits. Even though he has that warm tender expression of a ‘smiling prince’, however, his body gestures suggest to me of his tension and weariness. For the fans who are cheering for ’Yonsama’, this may be hard for them to comprehend.

When he starred in his first movie ’Untold Scandal’, there were far more people who expressed they wanted to see ‘Yonsama’s work’ than ‘Bae Yong Joon’s first movie’. Of course it’s the same person, but I always feel that there is a big differentiation between Yonsama and Bae Yong Joon. That is to say, Yonsama is not his self-identity anymore, rather, it’s a surreal impression created in people’s eyes. Due to this disparity, I don’t know from when the actor has disappeared, what remains is only the idealistic princely image (of Yonsama).”

During the interview, Bae Yong Joon wore a smile throughout, and he always looked right at the person he was speaking to. Mr S’s foremost concern is the situation that Bae Yong Joon is in now.

“At his movie premiere, even though he is already a movie star, but I can feel that he’s still very anxious and listened earnestly to the audience’s opinion and views of the movie. As long as the critics gave him a slight nod for his effort, he would feel truly delighted.

Facing the lenses from so many video cameras, he had to respond to the never-ending streams of questions from reporters, local and abroad. At the same time, he also seized this opportunity to ask reporters on their opinions. He wondered if these people received orders from their companies to only choose complimentary words to say to him.

For any topics that related to the content of the movie, regardless of the nature of the question, he would listen attentively, then meticulously expressed his own thoughts. Of course, he took the reactions of the audience towards the movie and his acting very seriously. He said, “I do not disguise myself (of how anxious and eager I am to hear your views), that’s because I take the movie very seriously.”

And I feel this is not Yonsama, this is the real actor Bae Yong Joon.

thanks again bb and JAS for sharing these series of translation. :)

[Trans] from the eyes of reporters (4/6)

and here's part four... thanks JAS!

Original in Japanese: It's Koreal 2007/01

Posted by: Yukihosi / KOB

Translated into Chinese: 且听风吟1225 / 百度赤足青春吧

Translated into English: Juz A Sister (JAS) / bb’s blog

Six Korean Entertainment Reporters

Talk about Bae Yong Joon Anonymously

# Bae Yong Joon Cures

My Reluctance in Meeting People

“Being the editor of a magazine, even if you don’t like to socialize, you still have to interact with many people. For someone who has no social skills like me, when I heard about the happy gathering events from friends, I feel envious but also quite sceptical at the same time. Through the magazine, I got to meet mostly people who are top-notched in their fields. These people receive so much admiration and flattery, so this is what they expect around them. The more opportunities I get to meet these kinds of people, the more I despise people in general.

However, there was this one person ….

who caused me to suppress that ‘anti-social psychology’, he’s a very fine person whom I’ve met.” This is from a very popular Korean info magazine editor Mr H’s first meeting with Bae Yong Joon in 1994.

It was raining on the day of the interview. Mr H was soaked in rain from head to toes, looking as awkward as a character emerging from a comic strip. Back then, Bae Yong Joon was only a relatively unknown actor who had just started out, but for some unknown reason, his appearance gave people very refreshing impression.

“Facing my comical and pitiful appearance, Bae Yong Joon was calm and courteous, he chose his words carefully and behaved in a prudent and somewhat formal manner which deeply touched me. He’s really a very distinguished young man.”

Then three years later in 1997, Mr H interviewed him again.

“By then, Bae Yong Joon was already a top star, but he was not arrogant. He still maintained that same cool and easy manner, really a hard-to-come-by good person.

Through him, I learnt about how he would look into other people’s eyes during conversation, and also learnt about that honest and earnest heart of his that tries so hard to express his thoughts sincerely and truthfully.”

My luck was not too bad in 2006, I actually realized my third interview (with him)……

“If I were to express my sentiments at that time, it would be that I was ‘so overwhelmed with emotions’, just like seeing an old friend after a long break …”

Guest fabshelly

Here's my cleaned-up, polite version of the letter to Mainichi:

Was the "Yongsama" article written by the owner's favorite child or something? It's obviously not by a professional journalist.

The facts are all wrong. He's called "Yonsama", not "Yongsama" (easy to check!) and his name is Bae Yong Joon. Oy.

If he's such a failure in Korea, then why is he starring in the biggest-hyped, biggest-budgeted drama in the history of anything? Maybe the "writer" (and I use the term very loosely) has some jealousy issues with Mr. Bae. How pitiful and shameful for the "writer".

I don't know how they do journalism in Japan, but in America, if you printed garbage like this, full of factual errors and just plain bad writing, you'd lose face and have to write for gossip rags like the Weekly World News or perezhilton.com.

I do notice that the so called "journalist" (laughs) that patched together this mess was so ashamed of his or her hatchet job that he or she couldn't put a name on the article. I do believe that is the one intelligent thing this supposed professional writer did right.

Please, put together a collection in the office to send this hack to journalism school. Or at least teach this waste of meat about "fact checking".

Thank you,

Michelle C. Smith

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Good?

Guest fabshelly

Hey, Ryann Connell wrote a book - well, he did what he does best, actually, steals stuff from other people via the web and the tabloids, gets everything wrong, then puts his name on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Tabloid-Tokyo-Bizarr...TF8&s=books

I wrote a review. I think he should get LOTS of reviews, because they are sent directly to his personal email box.

hey there fabshelley! nice of you to drop by soompi and leave share with us what you've written to the writer of mainichi. i'm sure there are alot of people writting him now. likewise i'm pretty sure that when he opens his inbox he'll be surprise at the amount of email he's been getting about the article he wrote. :) poor boy ;)

BYJ updates 02/06/07

The posting below is posted on lcktour.com by its administrator.

-------------------------------------------

Annyeonghaseyo, I'm in Seoul.

The TWSSG filming team filmed at the Yongin set.

Bae Yong Joon ssi stopped by at the gym around 2 pm and worked out until around 3:30 pm.

He, who enjoys ¡°well-being¡± food, comes to <GIK> and gets take-out like today because

he likes the food of <GIK>.

I hope he can relax for tomorrow's filming.

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#mvt=h&...83461&mag=5

If you click the URL in the above, you can see the map of the Yongin set and its surroundings.

In the left below, you can see the large lake which Bae Yong Joon ssi used to enjoy fishing;

and in the upper right, there is the filming set.

source: www.lcktour.com

hello everyone! i'll be out the whole day and will back back later tonight. but before i go let me share with you the article which tomato99 translated. this is the same article that the writer from Mainichi translated which is inaccurate.

thanks so much to tomato for doing the translation. the article is not bad actually. i suppose there is really a problem with the writer from Mainichi as fabshelley pointed out above.

hi Mariko! wow another CREA with Yong Joon :) can't wait to see the photos :)

here goes ~

[Trans]article from Shukan Bunshun

Japanese to English translation by tomato99

links ~

http://bbs.goo.ne.jp/ac25479

http://www.bunshun.co.jp/mag/shukanbunshun/index.htm

http://www.bunshun.co.jp/mag/crea/index.htm

Dear Quilt family,

Shukan Bunshun is one of very popular weekly magazines in Japan, and I believe its main readers are men. its article varies from politics to entertainment gossips.

They do sometimes bring up the articles related to Korean entertainment but it is more a gossip article I have never bothered to translate it to share it with everyone.

I had read this article when the magazine came out last week, I did not feel comfortable of their wordings but its contents were mostly true, I have no objections to the article.

Since the original article in 'Shukan Bunshun¡' has never mentioned that BYJ is wash-up, let me attach my version of translation of Shukan Bunshun article, the problem with Mainichi could be more clear to you.

I think the trouble lies with the writer / translator with Mainichi.

Let me remind you that publisher of Shukan Bunshun also publishes CREA!!

there will be some YJ featured pages on March issue which will be on sale from today (7 February)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

source: Japanese weekly magazine 'Shukan Bunshun'

February 8th issue,

on sale: 1 February 2007

Japanese to English translation by tomato99

'Income Balance breakdown' of Yon-sama who plucked 10billion yen from Japanese Aunties

'He is now even called a 'walking chaebol.' Amount of tax payment is at top in Korean entertainment, and its amount is about the same as middle class company with good performance.'

(comment by media related person in Korea)

Bae Yong Joon (34) alias Yon-sama's annual earnings were revealed other day.

Income amount was 4,268million yen.

Tax amount for his earning is 1,260million yen.

Highest exposure in Japan, Mino Monta's annual earning is 550 million yen, and tax amount is 200million yen. You can easily understand how much BYJ has earned.

(tomato: Mino Monta is a famous TV celebrity in Japan who hosts many TV programs in Japan.)

'This sum of money is taxed to last year's earnings, which is only for incomes of 2005.

Winter Sonata boom started in 2004 and you can pass out just by considering whole total of his income.' (same media person in Korea)

First of all, what is the breakdown of his 4.2billion yen income?

Answering to our interview, PR person at Yon-sama's management company say,

'we do not have the details.'

But a reporter with a sports newspaper talked to us instead.

'Since the Hallyu wave, with his performance fee for the hit movie 'April Snow,' endorsement for CFs, his income as actor totals to 890million yen.

Out of it, 780million yen is income from CFs for Coca-Cola, Sony and other companies.

Based on this calculation, his income purely from acting is about 110million yen.'

So, where does other income for Yon-sama come from?

'Sales of items like mobile phone straps, key holders which characters himself, photo books, DVDs ,and Winter Sonata typing software will lead to royalty earnings of total 3,350million yen.

This accounts for about 80 percent of his whole income.'(says reporter same as before)

Even though Yon-sama did not have any movie or drama appearance, he is making money in 2006.

'He starred in CF for Secom Japan, other incomes include usage of copyrights and portrait rights which add to 10billion won (1,290million yen).

He is also accessing to Pachinko industry, 'Pachinko Winter Sonata,' which is based on story of WLS is becoming a great hit, this portrait right has earned him about 800million won (about 100million yen).' (says same media related person in Korea)

And last year, Yon-sama opened a Korean restaurant in Shirokane, Tokyo.

Our reporters have dined at the place, lunch course of 5,500 yen and a glass of soft drink for two persons, adding tax and service fee charge totaled to 14,500yen.

Even at this price, there was a waiting list of about two months and there are women fans still coming to dine there.

'Capitalizing on popularity of Yon-sama, price setting stands out as bullishness.

One of official goods, 10 fresh photos costs for 5500yen but it is selling like hot cakes.

A set of bottle of wine of his born year 1972 with a glass was sold last fall, at about 40,000yen.

In February a figure featuring a scene from WLS will be sold for 39,000yen.' (says same person)

From the beginning of WLS boom in 2004 to end of 2006, entire income estimates to close to 10billion yen(!).

It is more an admiration to know how much he has made, but for husbands who have wife who is Yon-sama fan, there are more stories that may cause you headache.

This year Yon-sama is aggressively working in acting.

At current, he is shooting TWWSG at Jejudo which is a TV drama of a story of King in Goguryeo period. It is scheduled to be aired in Japan and Korea in May.

His company is planning to make the shooting locations and sights to be tourist spots.

Like boom with WLS, there will be fans flooding in from Japan.

They are expecting sales of about 6.4billion yen and 60 or 70 percent will be income for BYJ.

(says same person)

And his business in Japan is still expanding.

There will be new machines for Pachinko, and from January members limited mobile-phone site has started.

Also, the company will cooperate with Sanrio, company famous for popular Kitty character, and expand business with producing character products. says a sports newspaper reporter.

Anyhow, some of the fans are shifting to handkerchief prince.

Dear husbands, a little more patience¡...probably.

handkerchief prince is a baseball player who took away hearts of aunties last summer.

Guest Marikoo

hello everyone! i'll be out the whole day and will back back later tonight. but before i go let me share with you the article which tomato99 translated. this is the same article that the writer from Mainichi translated which is inaccurate.

thanks so much to tomato for doing the translation. the article is not bad actually. i suppose there is really a problem with the writer from Mainichi as fabshelley pointed out above.

hi Mariko! wow another CREA with Yong Joon :) can't wait to see the photos :)

here goes ~

It is more an admiration to know how much he has made, but for husbands who have wife

who is Yon-sama fan, there are more stories that may cause you headache.

Anyhow, some of the fans are shifting to handkerchief prince.

Dear husbands, a little more patience¡...probably.

handkerchief prince is a baseball player who took away hearts of aunties last summer.

Good morning liezle! The original article is not really offensive at all since this is a

magazine for men. Hmmm headache for husbands. There are different cases. I know

some cases where the husbands are thankful that their wives became vibrant and some

recovered from sickness after becoming a BYJ fan.

About the handkerchief prince thingy, he's now playing with Waseda University baseball

team. The media is giving him headache cos this guy is quite shy, but I don't think all YJ

fans will shift to him. Once YJ fan will always be a YJ fan. We're just too many to just got

swayed away.

Guest Marikoo

I’m posting this info cos somebody has asked me about the current list of top 10 movies

in Japan based on box office results. Btw, there is a big difference between the top 10

movies shown nationwide on big screens and the top 10 movies shown in small theaters.

Don’t be misled by this.

Anyway, here is the list for the top 10 movies shown on big screens nationwide this week.

Got the results from the following links:

http://www.eiga.com/ranking/070206.shtml

http://movie.goo.ne.jp/ranking/boxoffice/

1. Dororo - Japan

2. Siawase nochi kara-USA

3. Sumikou- China/Japan/Hong Kong/South Korea

4. Marie Antoinette-US

5. Departed-USA

6. Sore Demo Boku wa Kateinai-Japan

7. Ai no Rukeichi-Japan

8. Ioujima kara no Tegami-USA

9. Anata o Wasurenai-Japan/Korea

10.Monster House-USA

Have a nice day!

hi there mariko! thanks for the giving us info on the box-office in your country. seems like there is no korea film in the top 10 :( . how old is handkerchief prince? i was trying to surf earlier on some info about him but can't find any.

haven't gone around baeland yet. hope to read some news and post here later :)

Guest happiebb

hi there mariko! thanks for the giving us info on the box-office in your country. seems like there is no korea film in the top 10 :( . how old is handkerchief prince? i was trying to surf earlier on some info about him but can't find any.

hey liezle,

think yuki saito is 18 years old... he's in the states...

i read that he's chosen to go do his university studies, instead of turning pro <_<

Guest Marikoo

Hi sis liezle! If I'm not mistaken he must be turning 19 this year. Usually, high school student graduates here when they're 18.

There's Junior and Senior High School here for a total of 6 years (3 yrs each). Now he's a freshman at Waseda University.

As I've written before here, it's been sometime now since we've seen a Korean film in the top 10. I think the last time was

Running Wild? It ranked 9 or 10th but only on the first week. K-movies can't even get screened on big theaters.

I think the distributors now are a bit careful in buying k-movies at high prices. A movie can break even here with 500,000

viewers. 1,000,000 mark is considered to be a hit. You can imagine how expensive is the movie ticket here.

It costs 1,900 yen so the movie should be really in good quality and with a unique theme.

hey liezle,

think yuki saito is 18 years old... he's in the states...

i read that he's chosen to go do his university studies, instead of turning pro <_<

Hi bb! He's going to the states to compete in an international baseball competition representing the country of Japan.

He joined Waseda University's baseball team instead of turning professional.

Guest munchee

just wanna commend you guys especially liezle for making a wonderful thread.....

i was browsing the first few pages of this thread and i must admit i'm so overwhelmed by infos/articles re:BYJ!!!!!

i have a lot of catching up to do!!!!! 481 pages of pure BYJ bliss! ha!ha!

mariko sis, thanks again for the info. what could have been the problem with the down slope trend in k movies, could it be the quality of korean movie not that much appealing that before? or is it that moviegoers are already tired of the usual stuff? i guess the korean entertainment industry is not only suffering in the movies but as well as dramas. this could be quite alarming. i hope that soon will be able to see good quality movies and dramas like before.

hey bb, i just came from your blog and read your entry on the "handkerchief prince". thanks! you're blog is always a good source of info.

hello again munchee! thanks for your appreciation :) frances also helped a lot constructing the 1st page. actually that first page will not be possible if not for the help of our tireless baesisters from korean, singapore and japan, who have been giving us all those beautiful translation.

btw, your post just reminded me to update it :) will do that hopefully this weekend.

[PHOTO] BYJ's new photo by Leslie Key [CREA] March 07

Kaorin scanned this photo from CREA magazine and posted it on the Freeboard of Daum.net's byjfan Cafe.

Posted by Joanne in BYJ's Quilt

downloadphpgrpidlnwrfldxt8.jpg

Guest Marikoo

Hi sis liezle! You're still up? Me, can't sleep. It's too cold today.

I have to make a correction about my post above. Saito Yuki will be a University Freshman this coming school year (April).

He will join Waseda University Baseball Team next school year. He will turn 19 this June. His birthday is June 6, 1988.

I tried to find the article saying he's in the US. I think I've mistaken about the international competition.

I confused it with the news on TV about Hoshino coach appointed as new coach for the national team and he was

talking about Saito as a player he would want to be in the team. I think he is still about to finish high school now.

bb is he in the US now?

Oh about the not so good result of the K-movies, I think the K-media should stop upsetting YJ Japan Family.

I told you before that majority of the K-fanatic here are YJ fans. If they support other K-stars then the media will have

a reason to attack him and use it as a tool to bring him down. The family will never ever gonna let it happen.

Hi sis frances! It's so nice to see your name above!

hey mariko sis, you're still up? is it freezing cold? here in our country, the 2 weeks below 19 degrees is over...sigh...we're back to the usual weather.

geez, yuki is so yong and he's been getting so much attention already. i haven't seen the vod that bb posted in her blog. i'll check on it later to see how cute this chap is. ;)

hi there frances! :)