Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

about whether insoo loved his wife... i think the movie hinted that their marriage wasn't an arranged one. the way i read insoo's character... he's the sort to believe a husband loved his wife, no questions asked. he's not the romantic sort, the type to use his head more than his heart, i think. so he probably thought since they're married, yes, then he loved his wife. and maybe because he's so dogged in his ways he could be abit boring to live with. the wife seemed to be leading a double life. when she's with her lover, she drank and appeared liberated. she's not that way with him, i suspect it's because he's not the sort. so he struggled for a mighty long time trying to understand why his wife had betrayed him and stuff...

I agree here..That's how I read Insoo. But, I am not sure how I got to that conclusion about his character. Do you? Does it show in the movie that he's not the romantic sort with his wife? When he talked to Seu Yeong about meeting his wife for the first time (think that's the only hint that their marriage wasn't an arranged one?) at the concert, he seemed to be very happy remembering that past memory of his wife. That's when he revealed that she was part of the photography (???) club, which Seu Yeong's husband was involved in too. From the few scenes between his wife and him, I feel that the director is trying to convey to us how their relationship is...it seems that he took care of her..he cleaned her when she was in a comma, he fed her when she couldn't eat on her own, he cut her nails (this was cut I think), he took care of the bills, he took her around in her wheelchair...That's why she said "thank you for everything." How can she not be touched from this love? But, I guess she wanted much more than just care. These are not romantic maybe? Maybe from these gestures, we assume that he is not the romantic kind but the practical kind?

I find there is a parallel scene between Seo Yeong/Insu and Insu/wife. The pealing off apple scene...

Insu peels off the apple so delicately for his wife. While Seo Yeong peels off the apple so delicately for Insu.

Why the coincidence? Is it just a coincidence that the same action was repeated in the movie ?

about the love between insoo and seoyoung... i saw the movie abit differently from ginnie possibly. i think the director deliberately didn't want to show us the whole process of them falling in love. after all, he had cut the 'walk in the park' scene, the scene where the couple went away for the weekend and how she had consoled him by burying his head into her chest... i think the director had deliberately removed all these more touchy-feely scenes so that we did not feel for them more than the other couple.

There is a scene when "she consoled him by burying his head into her chest?"??? Are you talking about Insu and Seo Yeong? This one I didn't know about.

Anyways, I think the director did a good thing by not showing us all that "falling in love" scenes because this will definitely make us feel more for Insu and Seo Yeong. Since he didn't show any "falling in love" scenes for the spouses-he shouldn't show more of those scenes for Insu and SeoYeong either.

and in any case, given the circumstances, it's quite easy to see why they had turned to each other. 'trapped' in samcheok with no friends, no relatives for support... and they couldn't even tell anyone about their respective spouse's betrayal. they only had each other. it's easy to fall into 'temporary or rebound love' in that sense, i guess. yes, i do see they're attracted to each other, and even a year down the road, we could still see the plant in insoo's new house. and the sight of falling snow in spring reminded them of each other immediately. that means they're both special to each other, i guess. but was it love? probably not yet. so the ending worked for me. i saw that as hopeful open-ended ending. they're prepared to give it a go, but no, there's still no saying where way they would end up.

and... these thoughts are from my watching AS more than half a year ago... may have forgotten the details already. will try and watch it again soon... hee, i'm so hoping to see the Director's Cut for AS... there should be some 'answers' there... or rather let me rephrase, there should be alot more of Director hur's thinking in there...

Agree. Agree. Agree. There must be some attraction here between Insu and Seo Yeong too. In their sadness, I can't understand how one will even muster energy to have an affair. They felt each others' pain but at the same time, they are attracted to each other...I believe so.

There were lots of coincidences...ha! They happened to be suffering in the same motel in Samcheok, happened to be conveniently placed a couple rooms apart in the motel too. Happened that their spouses were placed in the same hospital room (before being separated into rooms)....so many coincidences.

I am also looking forward to the Director's Cut. I am hoping this will be the last version for AS and it will include the behind-the-scene stuff. I hope they will have an International version...with subtitles.

Guest liezle

AS discussion is getting interesting once again. I'll be reposting all conversations regarding AS during the past days just to share to the others who do not visit BYJ thread. Please do continue discussing it here. Really love to read more views even if it's been almost a year now since AS was shown. This topic is really giving me an excuse to put on AS again. :D

Guest happiebb

ginnie, i've 3 theories about the parallel apple-peeling scenes you mentioned...

one, director hur might be using it to show how their roles have changed. insoo has changed from a caregiver to someone receiving care, receiving love, being looked after... seoyoung has just changed 'subjects', meaning from tending to her husband's needs to taking care of another man. sort of like a displacement of love or feelings, if you like...

two, the two scenes are to illustrate how better suited, how more compatible insoo is with seoyoung, resulting in insoo susbsequently wondering what would have happened had they met earlier. see, insoo is obviously not that dexterous with the knife and apple peeling act, but he did it anyway for his wife. and i would assume he's always been the one doing it, not his wife. that's why he instinctively peels the apple himself in the room, instead of asking seoyoung for help. but seoyoung seems so at home and at ease with the act, signifying how many hundred times she must have done so... one can't peel, one can... very compatible ya?

and three... and my guess is this one's probably it. it's probably coincidental that we see parallel in these two scenes and maybe we're guessing or reading too much... hee... for all you know, the director might just want to use that insoo-peeling-apple-for-wife-scene to show he still cares... and the later scene in the motel room is to show insoo and seoyoung have progressed to the next level of comfort and intimacy. the fruits just happened to be ready props, so... ;)

don't know... just my two cents. haha, this is quite possibly the first and only movie i've gone to such lengths to analyze and think about B)

ginnie, i've 3 theories about the parallel apple-peeling scenes you mentioned...

one, director hur might be using it to show how their roles have changed. insoo has changed from a caregiver to someone receiving care, receiving love, being looked after... seoyoung has just changed 'subjects', meaning from tending to her husband's needs to taking care of another man. sort of like a displacement of love or feelings, if you like...

two, the two scenes are to illustrate how better suited, how more compatible insoo is with seoyoung, resulting in insoo susbsequently wondering what would have happened had they met earlier. see, insoo is obviously not that dexterous with the knife and apple peeling act, but he did it anyway for his wife. and i would assume he's always been the one doing it, but his wife. that's why he instinctively peels the apple himself in the room, instead of asking seoyoung for help. but seoyoung seems so at home and at ease with the act, signifying how many hundred times she must have done so... one can't peel, one can... very compatible ya?

and three... and my guess is this one's probably it. it's probably coincidental that we see parallel in these two scenes and maybe we're guessing or reading too much... hee... for all you know, the director might just want to use that insoo peeling apple for wife scene to show he still cares... and the later scene in the motel room is to show insoo and seoyoung have progressed to the next level of comfort and intimacy. the fruits just happened to be ready props, so...

don't know... just my two cents. haha, this is quite possibly the first and only movie i've gone to such lengths to analyze and think about B)

Thanks bb for sharing!

I think the movie gives out underlined , understated performances throughout that doesn't just shout at us or nag us about their importance to the storyline. Director Hur left clues throughout his storytelling and the actors gave us truthful performances that gave us room to interpret what happened. I like this kind of analogy given by the peeling of apples scene. I would like to think that, that particular scene wasn't meant to clearly tell us what happened but we as the spectators got clues, impressions from that scene that sort of built what we saw before or after that. Director Hur could have added dialog in one of those scenes to make the scene more clear cut i.e. have Insoo tell Seo Yeong how he used to do all this for his wife etc etc..but Director Hur didn't go that route. He chose to tell his story as it is because in real life, one doesnn't usually talk about things just because the viewers might need to know this or that...I like how each scene unfolds truthfully and it is up to us to digest. I think all of us who watched the movie took clues from the movie but they were not expressed..we all took different hints or clues and built the story...

Because of April Snow..I am now interested in other movies that Korean directors offer. I am planning to watch more of Korean productions because I am curious about their style and story-telling methods. ha! The productions are different from HK movies these days. HK movies need to improve or else....

Liezle, where is April Snow's thread in Soompi? I saw it a while ago and now it is missing..wasn't in pages 1-3...how did it go missing so quickly?

Guest liezle

I'm sure this has been posted before. But since we are discussing AS and some might not have seen this yet, i'm reposting this link.

What if this is the ending of April Snow?

This is one of the deleted scene in AS. I actually do no understand what is being said, but according to some baesisters, could have been the other ending of AS. Click the link and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99ni1CYQlM...ch=april%20snow

can you feel the sadness?

thanks to mhjk for the vod and thet for uploading to youtube

Guest liezle

Untold Scandal / Winter Sonata on AZN in States

thanks to Mrs A for posting in BYJ's Quilt

For our baesisters in states found Untold Scandal and WS will be showing this week and weekend on AZN.

They haven't advertised it nor made it a big display in their website. Just happen to catch them.

But wanted to let you know if you if you haven't seen them or want to see them again:

Untold Scandal

Thursday August 3 - 8pm

Friday August 4 - 1pm

Monday August 7 - 12am

Winter Sonata Marathan

Saturday August 5 at 5pm EP 1-5

Sunday August 6 at 5pm EP 6-10

Guest kaznhiphopiyo

my dad was lucky enough to be in charge of making the hwabo/exclusive album last year or the year before that. u know the thing that was over 200 bucks and was sold out in japan? my dad brought it home once, then took it back the next day saying it's too expensive.

he got to work with baeyongjoon n he didnt stop praising about him. baeyongjoon is like a moving franchise, according to my dad. he has the top ppl working for him. he had different managers for different departments and different countries, all elite graduates. i thot it was very interesting. it's not a surprise he's so big in asia.

Guest liezle

my dad was lucky enough to be in charge of making the hwabo/exclusive album last year or the year before that. u know the thing that was over 200 bucks and was sold out in japan? my dad brought it home once, then took it back the next day saying it's too expensive.

he got to work with baeyongjoon n he didnt stop praising about him. baeyongjoon is like a moving franchise, according to my dad. he has the top ppl working for him. he had different managers for different departments and different countries, all elite graduates. i thot it was very interesting. it's not a surprise he's so big in asia.

hello kaznhiphopiyo and thanks for dropping by.

I think are you talking about BYJ's photobook "The Image Vol 1" that was released in 2004. :)thanks for your information. and i believe that these managers byj is working with are his good friends. there were actually articles written how yong joon treats his people and friends.

Guest liezle

[Trans] Satovic meets BYJ - Aug, 2005 Chapter 1

Translated by flowerbossa

Hello everyone! Having a happy summer?

Just about a year ago, wuri satovic encountered a “miracle”, and she was good enough to share the story with us here on Quilt. But because our family is growing bigger by the day (hurray!) and also because the first part of satovic’s adventure has not been translated before, satovic and I would like to share the complete version of the story with you again.

Hope you enjoy it!

Alright let’s start the story from Taiwan, in August of 2005. In midst of the tropical heat, this was where it all started – after participating in a fan meeting in Taiwan, I flew from Taipei to Seoul. And on this flight, I was able to spend 2 glorious hours with Yong Joon.

taiwanchildren2.jpg

Chapter One ‘The Seven Angels on Yong Joon’s Back’

In August 2005, Yong Joon started his ‘April Snow’ promotion tour from Taiwan.

Among the Asian countries, Taiwan was the first to air ‘Hotelier’ and they had a fan club even before the age of ‘Winter Sonata’. I think it was very loyal of YJ to start his ‘Untold Scandal’ tour in 2004 and also this ‘April Snow’ promotion tour from Taiwan. The Taiwan family is very proud of this. The Taiwanese family expressed their willingness to welcome us Japanese to the event - and because it just so happened that his visit coincided with the Ghost Festival holiday, and our family was feeling somewhat uneasy about the number of fans who were actually going to attend the event, I decided to call out to many people as possible to visit their country.

Because I had never done anything like go to the airport to welcome him, I never had the chance to see YJ in person. So, at that time, I never thought a miracle like this (which I will share with you later) was waiting for me in that trip.

For our trip to Taiwan, we from the fan-site B.S.J. had taken along two banners. On one of them, it says ‘Insu ya! Aigoo charuwatta’ (flowerbossa:sorry, I don’t know the correct pronunciation in Korean)’ Actually, the purpose behind this banner was to make YJ laugh and have him feel relaxed. ‘Aigoo charuwatta’ is a dialect in Korea which means something like, ‘Well, looky who’s here’ or ‘Gee, it’s good to have ya’, and we were able to make every Korean person laugh when they saw this. Since wuri prince always seemed a bit nervous when he goes overseas, we wanted to loosen him up with this hilarious banner.

bsjbanner.jpg

On the second day of his stay, he went to see an ailing fan at the hospital. When he returned to the hotel he was feeling somewhat depressed from seeing his family in a serious state, but as he got out of the car and saw our banner at the entrance, he cried ‘Ah!’, bringing his hand to his mouth, and laughed out loud pointing to the banner. YES!! We had done it - it was a great success!

Actually, we came up with A LOT of other ideas for the phrase to be used for this banner.

One of them that made it to the finals was, ‘Aigoo, ige kuminyasenshiya?’

It is a phrase that is used in such situations as when a separated family is able to reunite after a long time - a small old woman in a han-bok would express her overwhelming feelings with her whole body, slamming her hand on the ground crying out, ‘Oh, am I dreaming? Or am I seeing illusions?’ It is a line used to express one’s bewilderment in seeing someone who seems like an illusion, and cannot determine whether he is dead or alive. Later you will see that this phrase would make YJ laugh his head off at a most unexpected moment.’’

hospitalwhite.jpg

Now, on the final day of his stay in Taiwan, after participating in the fan meeting, YJ went back to the hotel and came out after changing into a white jacket. At the airport, the Taiwan media swarmed around him, and they walked with him in this mob state that it was really dangerous. The fans were all waiting in a line, but the tourists who happened to be there noticed the commotion and with cameras in their hands, added themselves to the mob crying out things like, ‘Oh, it’s Bae!’, ‘Where, where? You mean it’s Yon-sama?’ The mob was getting bigger and bigger and the situation was truly getting out of hand. The press often give out reports claiming ‘°Bae Yong Joon, mobbed by fans at the airport’, but the real picture was THIS.

When he got on the escalator to go to the VIP lounge on the second floor, someone who tried to take his picture from the descending side fell down. It seemed like the man’s clothes were caught in the escalator, and he was having a hard time getting up. Because the photographers were too busy trying to catch YJ, what do you know, the first one to lend a hand to help this person was YJ himself! And he was on the other side, too. What a great guy he was! Even in the midst of almost being mobbed to death’.

mob2.jpg

I had been watching this scene from the foot of the escalator, and at that moment, I was finally able to see what he was wearing. On the back of his white jacket, seven angels were printed. The eighth angel only had a body, and because it was headless, it seemed like Yong Joon’s own head was attached to its body. Perhaps he really is an angel after all’ And underneath the jacket he just maybe hiding his wings

(to be continued)

Guest liezle

[taipei] interesting pics from the airport

posted by happiebb in BYJ's Quilt

thanks, flowerbossa, for doing this...

haha, are we trying to do an anniversary post here?

it's been almost a year since that trip...

that's when i last saw him in person too...

miss miss miss miss miss miss him so much!

anyhow, here's a picture captured by appledaily

of how the reporter fell on the escalator going down to the ground level.

as satovic had described,

photographers were rushing to take wuri yong joon's pictures

from the other side of the escalator going down,

as he was going up...

if you look carefully at the picture,

i think we can see the top of his black beret behind the two men...

4.jpg

and here's another picture taken at the airport when he left taipei,

what on earth was that security staff doing?

pleading with the fans to behave?

6-1.jpg

it appeared to be quite a big thing too, having yong joon visit taipei...

i remember during the few days of his visit,

almost all the papers carried news about his visit,

and quite a fair bit of media space there too...

here's a look at the taiwan papers out on 20 aug 2005...

papersgalore.jpg

nice post, warm and fuzzy, the way i like it,

and the way i remember satovic :)

thanks so much for doing this for the overseas fans, flowerbossa....

p.s. err... flowerbossa dear, err....

no picture of the backview of the drool-worthy torso? :P

p.p.s. if anyone hasn't read about the taiwan trip

or havent'seen the pictures from that trip,

you can click here and here.

these are old postings from my blog :P

Hiya...

An article in Korea Times...nothing to do with Yong Joon but love to read this about one of Japan superidol group Arashi mentioning Yong Joon...so cute one of them said his mother is a big fan of "Yonsama" :P

J-Pop Group Arashi Promises to Charm Korean Fans

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

ensor200608011723570pop1.jpg

Five-member J-pop group Arashi holdsa news conference at Incheon International Airport, Monday. /Courtesy of SM Entertainment

While K-pop stars are catching the eye of Japanese fans, now it's the turn of Japanese pop stars to grab the attention of Korean fans.

Around 1,500 Korean fans crowded the arrival lobby of Incheon International Airport just to catch a glimpse of Japanese pop group Arashi.

Arashi, composed of Sakurai Sho, Ninomiya Kazunari, Matsumoto Jun, Ohno Satoshi and Aiba Masaki, only stayed for a few hours to hold their first press conference in Korea, Monday evening.

The five-member group will headline the ``2006 Asia Song Festival,'' to be held on Sept. 22 in Kwangju. This is part of the group's first Asian tour, which will also take them to Thailand, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Despite the language barrier, Ninomiya said the group is excited to give a great performance for Korean fans in September.

``We want to have much fun at the Asia Song Festival. I cannot speak Korean, but I want to speak to Korean fans through our music,'' Ninomiya said.

Arashi members appeared surprised at the wild reception they received from the Korean fans, who were screaming, chanting their name and singing their songs.

``I got many mails from Korean fans. This is my first time to visit Korea. I'm so glad that many fans are giving us a warm welcome and singing our songs,'' Jun said.

Jun, who is most popular for his roles in Japanese dramas such as ``Gokusen'' (Gangster Teacher) and ``Hana Yori Dango'' (Boys Over Flowers), said he would love to star in a Korean drama in the future. ``I have seen Winter Sonata on DVD. It is very famous and still on TV. I'd love to be in a Korean drama if any production would ask,'' he said.

While looking tired from their plane trip, Arashi members showed their funny side when Sakurai and Ninomiya jokingly protested after noticing most of the questions were directed at Jun.

Sakurai, who once went to Korea for a college graduation trip, spoke a few words of Korean, impressing the media. He even admitted his mother is a big fan of actor Bae Yong-joon, who is fondly called ``Yon-sama'' in Japan.

Incheon was the third and last stop of the ``Jet storm'' series of Arashi's press conferences. The group flew to Bangkok, Thailand, Taipei, Taiwan and Incheon on a rented 13-seater personal jet, to hold press conferences in one day.

Their 6th album ``Arashic'' was only released in Korea last July 20, but it has already sold 10,000 copies.

Arashi, which is the Japanese word for storm, made their debut in 1999. The group's good looks, catchy songs and powerful dance moves have attracted many fans in Japan, and rest of Asia.

kt_garcia@hotmail.com

Guest JoyceLee

Here are more scans from Japanese magazine, posted on Baidu.com, original from byjfan by miemi.

Looks like all mag in Japan are having YJ as the cover story. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Guest liezle

Hiya...

An article in Korea Times...nothing to do with Yong Joon but love to read this about one of Japan superidol group Arashi mentioning Yong Joon...so cute one of them said his mother is a big fan of "Yonsama" :P

J-Pop Group Arashi Promises to Charm Korean Fans

thanks sara for sharing the above news. i actually saw an article of this in kob the other day but cannot decipher what was written even when i used babelfish translator. :wacko: so this is what this article was all about. i also saw another article the other day about yong joon, kosdaq, bof and wealthiest something. i was hoping to see translation today but i think joanne is not around to make one for us. anyway, i'm still hoping to read a translation especially regarding the later news.

Here are more scans from Japanese magazine, posted on Baidu.com, original from byjfan by miemi.

Hi Joyce..dunno why can't view the pics

hanks sara for sharing the above news. i actually saw an article of this in kob the other day but cannot decipher what was written even when i used babelfish translator. wacko.gif so this is what this article was all about. i also saw

Hi Liezle...so frustrating sometimes to know what they are talking about in KOB...the crazy thing that I did was translated them to Japanese and then from Japanese to Korean to English... more understandable that way...but now I forgot the translator site ..not babelfish

Just hope for the kind sis to translate if it is worthy...

Guest happiebb

i also saw another article the other day about yong joon, kosdaq, bof and wealthiest something. i was hoping to see translation today but i think joanne is not around to make one for us. anyway, i'm still hoping to read a translation especially regarding the later news.

i think that article's talking about how yong joon has become one of the 'super-new-rich'...

based on the current stock value,

his net worth is over 50b korean won [over US$50m].

think their monetary authority just released a report

and amongst the 30 companies just listed,

the major shareholders of 6 of these companies have become the 'new rich',

amassing for themselves over 10b korean won [over US$10m].

and yong joon's one of these six people,

since his shareholding in key east is now 42%.

anyway, fyi in its heydays, his net worth was 76b korean won!

but due to some downward movement in KOSDAQ,

the value of his shares has now plummeted to 51.6b korean won.

anyway, still mighty rich...

Guest liezle

hi there joyce! thanks for the photos. i downloaded the links by using net transport and used imageshack. here they are. thanks to miemi too! :D

2d3135fa72528e1ea8d311bajz4.jpg

45fdd12af0830d2dd42af1bblw3.jpg

affe848b57c780d3fd1f10balx0.jpg

cd0bdff958f04859252df2bbej0.jpg

hello sara! i'm still downloading the others. :D

Guest JoyceLee

hi there joyce! thanks for the photos. i downloaded the links by using net transport and used imageshack. here they are. thanks to miemi too! :D

2d3135fa72528e1ea8d311bajz4.jpg

hello sara! i'm still downloading the others. :D

:sweatingbullets:

hi liezle, thanks for posting them again. i didn't know soompi does not support all photo links, is imageshack the only one ?