Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Guest frances

my my... frances and happiebb both of u r naughty... :D i actually have the dvd at home but my pa keeps them. For this kind of R21 moveis i really dunno where he keeps them...heheh that's why i have yet to watch it.

hey gina, and i was about to ask u if u know where ur pa keeps the key B):rolleyes: ( me, being a naughty girl again !) but you're just clueless !! guess you have no choice but to wait ;)

I wanna watch it again!!! The movie is fantastic and it is getting better after each time i watch it. Thanx again Tiffany and Happiebb for everyting today.

One advice i want to give to pple who are going to watch it, pls..pls.. try to tink abt the others watching the movie with u. Dun talk in the theatre while watching the movie, u will be interrupting the others. Happiebb and i were rather irritated today during the movie coz there were just pple around us who were talking non-stop. And they dun really get it, even though i tried to tell the lady beside me to stop talking, she seem to have reduce the amount but they always start when it gets to either the interesting or the important parts come :angry:

There were so many things that i overlooked yesterday...Thanx to Happiebb, i realised the parts that i missed the first time round. That's why i need to watch it a 3rd time...hehhe :D to see wat else i've missed.

Guest frances

~ thanks to bb for the translation & of course to Mr Fumi for this informative piece :)....

[Recommended Reading] Fumi's WLS Series - The Way Koreans Address Others

bb: this is quite a good piece,

just in case you missed it the last time, here it is again...

-------------------------------------------------------

Original in Japanese: Fumi from k-plaza, 2004/06/01

Translated into Chinese: Truelove77 from loveyongjoon.com

Translated into English: Happiebb / www.joonsfamily.com 2004/09/27

Fumi’s Series on WLS – The Way Koreans Address Others

Hello, everyone. Nice to meet you all for the first time.

I’m Korean. Here, I would like to address the question posed by xxx-san.

In Korea, when female adults address their boyfriends or lovers,

they tend to add “ssi” at the back of their names.

And then there are also those who do not address their boyfriends by names;

instead they would call them “obba”.

They would also address the friends of their elder brothers as “obba” as well,

so the term “obba” itself does not contain any special meaning.

Of course, when women come across men they do not have special feelings for,

but there is a possibility of entering into a relationship,

they may add “ssi” to the back of the names, just like “MinHyung-ssi”.

However, when the woman addresses a man as “Li MinHyung-ssi”,

then this means that they have a working or business relationship.

That is to say, “Li MinHyung-ssi” and “MinHyung-ssi” have totally different meaning.

Yujin addresses MinHyung as “MinHyung-ssi”,

and not “Li MinHyung-ssi” or by his working title,

so from this little detail, we can see her affection towards him.

Or at least we can infer that she is interested in him from a personal angle.

By adding “a” to the back of a person’s name

is akin to nicknames or names that a person grows up with

[bb: for this posting, I will refer to this as casual address].

Therefore, only people who grow up together will address one another

by adding “a” to the back of their names

(but even then, in high school or university,

only friends who are on very close terms will address one another like this).

JunSang is JunSang-a to Yujin.

So in the case of MinHyung,

because they are not childhood friends, he will never address Yujin as Yujin-a,

unless and until they get married.

[To the tune of Kim, MinHyung’s subordinate]

There are only three instances when a man addresses a woman

by adding “a” to her name, or by using casual address:

1. After marriage

2. After engagement

3. When the couple is mad at each other

So, from the simple address of Yujin-a,

Yujin is able to tell straightaway if he is MinHyung or JunSang.

Yujin has always addressed him as “MinHyung-ssi”,

[again, to the tune of Kim again],there can be three reasons:

1. After ten years apart, she finds it hard to use the casual address on him

2. As compared to using the childhood address,

adding “ssi” seems more appropriate

in expressing her seriousness and sincerity in her feelings towards him

3. Yujin is not the sort to address a man in such a familiar manner until after marriage

If we use casual address, MinHyung will become MinHyung-a,

just like JunSang-a, that is to just add “a” at the back of MinHyung.

Now let’s talk about why MinHyung address Chaelin as Chaelin-a.

This is because MinHyung at that time is a playboy.

Most men do not address women with casual address before marriage.

The exception is for men who interact with women often,

or what we term as playboys.

This type of men have a tendency to use the casual address with women.

This is especially since MinHyung is someone

with only memories from growing in the United States,

this is probably the so-called American way.

Chaelin probably thinks the same way in the beginning,

although it is quite certain she wishes to be addressed by MinHyung as Chaelin-ssi.

In Korea, only playboy will use the casual address on women before marriage,

or it could also mean that the woman is not very significant in the man’s life.

So naturally, Chaelin would wish for MinHyung to address her as Chaelin-ssi,

but she probably assumes that since MinHyung grew up in the United States,

he probably does not understand the significance of such addresses.

That’s probably why he calls her Chaelin-a.

But later, when Chaelin witnesses MinHyung address Yujin as Yujin-ssi,

instead of Yujin-a like in their younger school days,

Chaelin must be feeling very disappointed.

By calling her Chaelin-a and calling Yujin Yujin-ssi,

MinHyung the playboy is telling Chaelin she is just someone he is toying with,

whilst Yujin is someone he is seriously in a relationship with.

Chaelin must be very sad.

About MinHyung’s Form of Speech

Instead of describing the way MinHyung speaks with Yujin as the formal form of speech,

it is probably more apt to describe it as the polite form of speech.

Korean is similar to Japanese, when someone mentions the formal form of speech,

one would usually think of the way one speaks with an elderly person.

MinHyung and Yujin mostly use the polite form of speech.

As for SangHyuk and Yujin, being childhood companions,

they do not use much of the polite form of speech.

These days, most young couples in Korea do not practise the polite form of speech,

only couples nearing 30 years old would use the polite form.

I remember that in episodes 17 and 18,

MinHyung and Yujin use the familiar speech

that childhood companions or young couples normally use.

In Korea [and in Japan too, I suppose],

couples who use the polite form of speech with each other

will start conversing in familiar form once they get married,

especially amongst the newlyweds.

In episode 18, the couple behaves like a newly wedded couple,

including their form of speech.

I wanna watch it again!!! The movie is fantastic and it is getting better after each time i watch it. Thanx again Tiffany and Happiebb for everyting today.

One advice i want to give to pple who are going to watch it, pls..pls.. try to tink abt the others watching the movie with u. Dun talk in the theatre while watching the movie, u will be interrupting the others. Happiebb and i were rather irritated today during the movie coz there were just pple around us who were talking non-stop. And they dun really get it, even though i tried to tell the lady beside me to stop talking, she seem to have reduce the amount but they always start when it gets to either the interesting or the important parts come :angry:

There were so many things that i overlooked yesterday...Thanx to Happiebb, i realised the parts that i missed the first time round. That's why i need to watch it a 3rd time...hehhe :D to see wat else i've missed.

Gina and all the Baesisters, i'm really dying to see AS and i can't wait! AS posters are in the cinemas and I think it'll be shown this month too.

I'll make sure Gina that when i watch it i'll be silent so as not to disturb my who is sitting beside me. :)

You know what, I think what the kr media missed was watching it for the 2nd, 3rd and more times. Oh well, they missed a good one though. :)

Guest happiebb

harlow harlow.... sorry, i was busy talking to the rest after the movie, then when i turned around, you were gone! holy cow, i didn't even say goodbye... :o we went for dinner after the movie, aiyo, you could have come join us... B)

yea.... the ladies sitting at the far corner were so irritating... not only were they talking practically non-stop throughout the first half of the movie [despite gina and i turning around to glare at them...] eventually i couldn't stand it as their chitchatting was distracting me from the movie, i turned back to 'shhhh' them, but it didn't seem to help matters. they continued to talk.

the last straw was one of the ladies' handphone started to ring. and... she actually answered it! she was pretty loud. i could hear her conversation, she didn't even tell the caller she's at the movies, and continued to rattle off a string of numbers to the caller. and... that's not all... i had given her the benefit of the doubt, that she had merely forgotten to turn off the phone earlier. then the phone rang again a second time! yes, the same bloody phone. i was royally irritated by then, and actually told her to put her phone to silent mode.

but at least the phone calls and chitchatting stopped after that. so please... when you go to the movies, do spare a thought for others, ya?

sighs.... yea, we kept seeing new things each time we saw the movie. someone asked me what i thought about the scene where seoyoung covered her husband's head when she was dusting. i gave it a thought. i thought there was a simple explanation for that. she was dusting the room, and didn't want the dust to get to him, therefore... but the underlying message was that she did not see the person lying there as a living person anymore. so... it could also imply that in her heart, he's already dead. whatever love she had for him was also dead. what do YOU think?

and... i guess many people also missed the ringing phone at the end of the movie, you know, the point when the snow started to fall when in-soo was at the concert grounds? do listen for it the next time you watch the movie, if you didn't notice it before.

i strongly encourage all to watch the movie more than once. and try to clear your mind of all thoughts, just allow yourself to follow, to feel the movie.

Guest frances

From My Daily home.

translated & posted by Joanne in Quilt news section

Film 'Oe Chool (April Snow) double happy events!

After ascending to the top in history with breaking 2.2 mil (audience) in Japan, will advance to US.

[My Daily]10/15/05 10:46:24

200510150747220200_1.jpg

200510150747220200_2.jpg

The film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)'(Director-Hur Jinho, Producer-Bluestorm), featuring BYJ & SYJ broke 2 million audience mobilization on the past 9, in 23 days since its opening, and exceeded 2.2 million on 13, recording the most audience mobilization among Korean films in the history which opened in Japan.

Its Japanese distributor, UIP, advertised this fact in a large-scale in the evening edition of the Yomiuri on 13 and the evening edition of the Asahi newspaper on 14. As there is gradual expansion of understanding of the film, the prospect is that it would even break 3 million audience in the shortest period of time and break the top box-office income record in the history with the last minute box-office drive, by extending the planned screening from until 21 to 28, and by increasing number of screening from 5 to 6 times a day.

The film 'Oe Chool'(Japanese title 'April Snow') continued unchanged popularity even in the 4th week since opening by taking 7th place in weekend box-office by Japanese Box-office Communication Company(Announced on 12), and 6th place in weekly box-office by Biglobe(announced on 14). In particular, in case of 'Oe Chool(April Snow)', being differenf from other films, it shows unique phenomenon of audience flocking more on weekdays than weekends, and more during the daytime.

On the other hand, as the Click Stars of US has purchased the film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' at a high price during the 10th PIFF and is planning to open it in entire US beginning in Hawaii in coming end of November, so that it seems that the wind of film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' would blow also in North America, considering that it received a high critical evaluation as it was invited successively by the 30th Toronto International Film Festival and the 24th Vancouver Film Festival.

The selling price was known to be equivalent amount of money to film 'Kind Miss Geumja', the highest price for exporting film to US in the history (in Korea), and the Click Stars is a concert promotion company as well as talent agency managed by Korean American, Seo Wonjoon, and they told that the company expressed extraordinary enthusiasm about opening (the film) in US.

The Rob Fried Films will be in charge of distribution of the film, and it plans to introduce it to entire US in full scale beginning with Hawaiian opening. The opening in US in this time has great significance as it is a full-scale advance different from the past Korean films which opened with limitation during 'Asian film week' or mainly for Korean community.

[A Japanese newspaper carrying advertisement saying passing of 2 million audience mobilization by film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' (Top), The poster of the film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' which is expected to create whirlwind once again as it advance to US film market(Bottom), Photo source=Bluestorm]

Reported from Tokyo, Lee Taemoon,gounworld@mydaily.co.kr, www.mydaily.co.kr

Copyright ⓒ My Daily

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?Ne...510150747220200

yes i agreed too....the more times i watched the better it gets...and i'm beginning to love this movie more and more.....

for a movie or drama, if you like it as you watched again and again, it only shows that there are hidden answers in the movies, and whether you want to go and find it out....Guess the media are just comfortable watching once and then their job is done......they definitely won't bother to watch another time and try to understand...they believe that watching once is enough to determine a movie is good or bad....

In fact, i think there are films which are good during the 1st time, but if you watch again and again, it may be just okay..........nothing special......as you know what they are going to say or what's going to happen next.

But for AS, it is really different. You feel and found something new as you watch each time....

harlow harlow.... sorry, i was busy talking to the rest after the movie, then when i turned around, you were gone! holy cow, i didn't even say goodbye... :o we went for dinner after the movie, aiyo, you could have come join us... B)

yea.... the ladies sitting at the far corner were so irritating... not only were they talking practically non-stop throughout the first half of the movie [despite gina and i turning around to glare at them...] eventually i couldn't stand it as their chitchatting was distracting me from the movie, i turned back to 'shhhh' them, but it didn't seem to help matters. they continued to talk.

the last straw was one of the ladies' handphone started to ring. and... she actually answered it! she was pretty loud. i could hear her conversation, she didn't even tell the caller she's at the movies, and continued to rattle off a string of numbers to the caller. and... that's not all... i had given her the benefit of the doubt, that she had merely forgotten to turn off the phone earlier. then the phone rang again a second time! yes, the same bloody phone. i was royally irritated by then, and actually told her to put her phone to silent mode.

but at least the phone calls and chitchatting stopped after that. so please... when you go to the movies, do spare a thought for others, ya?

sighs.... yea, we kept seeing new things each time we saw the movie. someone asked me what i thought about the scene where seoyoung covered her husband's head when she was dusting. i gave it a thought. i thought there was a simple explanation for that. she was dusting the room, and didn't want the dust to get to him, therefore... but the underlying message was that she did not see the person lying there as a living person anymore. so... it could also imply that in her heart, he's already dead. whatever love she had for him was also dead. what do YOU think?

and... i guess many people also missed the ringing phone at the end of the movie, you know, the point when the snow started to fall when in-soo was at the concert grounds? do listen for it the next time you watch the movie, if you didn't notice it before.

i strongly encourage all to watch the movie more than once. and try to clear your mind of all thoughts, just allow yourself to follow, to feel the movie.

oops..!!!!! bb ah......it's really your "luck" to be allocated seats near those 2 rude women...kekeke.....and i'm one of the "culprit" behind your seating arrangement.... :o:o:o:P

Happiebb oh dun have to be sorry la anyway i was rushing to the toilet just now :D actually i also have to apologise for not saying good bye to u and tiffany too... haiz... really sorry...

Ya i dun tink it's just the ladies behind that were making so much noise the two ladies beside me too, i really can't stand the lady seating beside me she was not only talking she was also shaking her leg as well... haiz really irritaing.

Anyway after watching it the 2nd time i dun tink that the front part of the movie was too fast anymore and i thought that it flowed very well. Happiebb now that u mention the part on the covering of the blanket scene

it's really a good point. I have yet to tink so far... really must watch it a 3rd time.

Guest happiebb

oops..!!!!! bb ah......it's really your "luck" to be allocated seats near those 2 rude women...kekeke.....and i'm one of the "culprit" behind your seating arrangement.... :o:o:o:P

errr... i suppose you've gotten your revenge at me huh?

you know, for eating the oh-so-nice bah-kwa wed night...

so, you're gonna watch it again tomorrow?? :rolleyes:

someone also asked me what i thought of the scene where seo-young was in the washroom with the tap running in the background, when she went to the little eatery after picking up her husband's stuff at the police station. i thought about that abit... at first glance, that scene may appear somewhat unnecessary. but thinking back, that scene was right after when she viewed the recording of her husband being intimate with that other woman on the digital camera... so, maybe she was crying and tearing apart inside, and the running water was to muffle the silent cries. or, maybe she was trying to use the running water to numb and calm her nerves, maybe even to symbolically wash away the 'dirty sin' she had just witnessed. i dunno... what do you think?

and... at the end part of the movie, the scene where seo-young was watching in-soo in the cafe from across the motel, i thought i could actually hear the pressing of the handphone keypad. try listening hard the next time you watch AS. i'm positive seo-young sms-ed in-soo she was leaving him for good when she was at the cafe.

then the next scene saw in-soo sitting on the floor getting drunk, with the phone in his hand... therefore my conclusion that she did indeed sms him, and he was very distraught at the thought of not being able to see her again.

as for seo-young, she was already at the bus terminal, waiting for the last bus back to seoul. but she turned back to see in-soo for the last time. so she went to the cafe to catch a glimpse of him. i would imagine seo-young's heart would be somewhat comforted that in-soo did have a place in his heart for her, as she watched him looking saddened at her departure. at least she could leave him knowing that she did mean something to him. such a heartbreaking moment, ya?

am looking forward to my 5th viewing of AS ;)

errr... i suppose you've gotten your revenge at me huh?

you know, for eating the oh-so-nice bah-kwa wed night...

aiyoh...i didn't even think of taking revenge for the sake of the bah-kwa...u know bah-kwa is sinful to me now

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ......

if i know she is so talkative, we should have "banished" them to the extreme right 2 seaters!hahaha

so, you're gonna watch it again tomorrow?? :rolleyes:

errr...not sure yet...i'm going early to Bishan to queue up to get the AS notebook printed by Encore...! I am left with that to finish off my collection from the different cinemas....

I want to watch the 2.05pm show at bishan, but not sure if i can because someone may need my help around 3plus.......

someone also asked me what i thought of the scene where seo-young was in the washroom with the tap running in the background, when she went to the little eatery after picking up her husband's stuff at the police station. i thought about that abit... at first glance, that scene may appear somewhat unnecessary. but thinking back, that scene was right after when she viewed the recording of her husband being intimate with that other woman on the digital camera... so, maybe she was crying and tearing apart inside, and the running water was to muffle the silent cries. or, maybe she was trying to use the running water to numb and calm her nerves, maybe even to symbolically wash away the 'dirty sin' she had just witnessed. i dunno... what do you think?

and... at the end part of the movie, the scene where seo-young was watching in-soo in the cafe from across the motel, i thought i could actually hear the pressing of the handphone keypad. try listening hard the next time you watch AS. i'm positive seo-young sms-ed in-soo she was leaving him for good when she was at the cafe.

then the next scene saw in-soo sitting on the floor getting drunk, with the phone in his hand... therefore my conclusion that she did indeed sms him, and he was very distraught at the thought of not being able to see her again.

as for seo-young, she was already at the bus terminal, waiting for the last bus back to seoul. but she turned back to see in-soo for the last time. so she went to the cafe to catch a glimpse of him. i would imagine seo-young's heart would be somewhat comforted that in-soo did have a place in his heart for her, as she watched him looking saddened at her departure. at least she could leave him knowing that she did mean something to him. such a heartbreaking moment, ya?

am looking forward to my 5th viewing of AS ;)

Guest LeafClover

Hi...Bae Sis...

I am very excited to watch the movies today, seems like having many bees (butterflies) flying inside my stomach already.

:lol::D:P

I finally watched April Snow...

Only one word to say....nice! 棒!

The director really good, he is actually showing a type of love that is not presented to the audiences and if the scenes of how their love developed are shown then that would be no different from other love story...but he did not..he let audiences feel it themselves. And with the coordination and collation of the actor and actress...wows..perfected the movies.

But too bad, some audiences unable to feel the love in the story.

From My Daily home.

translated & posted by Joanne in Quilt news section

Film 'Oe Chool (April Snow) double happy events!

After ascending to the top in history with breaking 2.2 mil (audience) in Japan, will advance to US.

[My Daily]10/15/05 10:46:24

Thanks Frances for posting this. :) I'm so happy for our Baesis based in the, i think they'll see AS ahead of us unnie. Songjc, Crysteena, Shelley and all those from Hawaii few more weeks of waiting and you'll see AS soom :)

Another Link for the Ettoday CF

source : www.krlinks.co.kr

Ettoday CF ~ krlinks version

Translation

courtesy of Cam posted in BYJ's Quilt

BYJ : One afternoon each week

BYJ : I come here to visit this girl

(a kindergarten teacher, talking to her students in the classroom)

BYJ: This hour I call my ¡®happy moments¡¯.

(leaving her some flowers)

BYJ : I remember when we first met.

BYJ: Her smile was so warm & tender.

(laughter from the classroom)

BYJ: That was 10 years ago.

BYJ: We have been apart for over 4 years now.

Girl : Good Bye

(the girl is smiling, saying goodbyes to her students)

Daughter : Mummy, here are some flowers.

BYJ : These 4 years, I feel happy when I see her smile.

(gazing at her from a distance)

(the daughter is getting the flowers)

BYJ : I am hoping to see the same smile in 10 years time.

(the girl is putting the flowers in the vase)

BYJ: For this smile

BYJ: Do I need an excuse?

BYJ: See you next week