P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kupoxkupo

I have a great dane. Her name is Tinkerbell LOL, she's 4 this week and she's practically the female Scooby Doo. They act exactly the same. She may be big but she's a big softie. :U

what do you guys think it means to be a fan/lover of a specific dog breed? (or really any breed; i.e. i think i can say i understand the difference for being a cat fan vs. a dog fan--cats and dogs are wholly quite different..right? but i don't understand the difference from, say, loving a labrador versus a dalmatian.)
like, i've only ever owned chows--so i just naturally love chows for that reason. it just came to be that way. there isn't anything particularly different from breed to breed, right? i mean there is size and maybe if one needs/wants/can do more physical activity.

but in this day and age, we don't really need our dogs to like pull sleds and whatnot--they are our babies now (generally). i mean, yeah there is companion--mostly small dogs--and then protection--mostly big dogs.

but what about if that didn't matter? like it doesn't matter if your dog is big or small; like if you just have a dog to have a dog?

is it about aesthetics? does it mean you based it off looks/appearance alone? if so, what do you think that implies?

i feel conflicted. because my vet "friend" told me people only own chows because they are cute and furry. i felt offended. i didn't get a chow just because it's cute and furry. i got a chow because my family has always had chows. my mom made the decision--why? i'm not sure. i know she wanted an "asian" dog...i'm not sure exactly why though. i don't know what other breeds she thought of getting; i just know that once we got the first chow, all we ever got was chow. did my mom decide just because they are cute and furry? my mom has never really been a person to consider those sort of things, so i find it hard to think she did so with such intentions. but i suppose it is possible. maybe she chose it because they have unique purple tongues and are "asian."

anyhow, so i feel as though people see chow-owners as people how love the appearance alone.
but isn't this true of every owner? like if we see a dog, we think it's cute, then we may likely adopt it, no? then that's based on appearance. you can't get to know the dog's personality unless you spend some time with it, right? (especially since attitudes can change based on care and attention given)

i love my chows' tongues, snouts, posture, fur, etc..but i love those things because i love chows. and i love chows because i've only every owned chows.
if the souls/hearts of my chows were in another breed--i could very likely love that breed's characteristics too, right?

sorry for my bad articulation of my question and long post.
i'm just curious as to others' take on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xxkorean_babiixx

bombb_ said: what do you guys think it means to be a fan/lover of a specific dog breed? (or really any breed; i.e. i think i can say i understand the difference for being a cat fan vs. a dog fan--cats and dogs are wholly quite different..right? but i don't understand the difference from, say, loving a labrador versus a dalmatian.)
like, i've only ever owned chows--so i just naturally love chows for that reason. it just came to be that way. there isn't anything particularly different from breed to breed, right? i mean there is size and maybe if one needs/wants/can do more physical activity.

but in this day and age, we don't really need our dogs to like pull sleds and whatnot--they are our babies now (generally). i mean, yeah there is companion--mostly small dogs--and then protection--mostly big dogs.

but what about if that didn't matter? like it doesn't matter if your dog is big or small; like if you just have a dog to have a dog?

is it about aesthetics? does it mean you based it off looks/appearance alone? if so, what do you think that implies?

i feel conflicted. because my vet "friend" told me people only own chows because they are cute and furry. i felt offended. i didn't get a chow just because it's cute and furry. i got a chow because my family has always had chows. my mom made the decision--why? i'm not sure. i know she wanted an "asian" dog...i'm not sure exactly why though. i don't know what other breeds she thought of getting; i just know that once we got the first chow, all we ever got was chow. did my mom decide just because they are cute and furry? my mom has never really been a person to consider those sort of things, so i find it hard to think she did so with such intentions. but i suppose it is possible. maybe she chose it because they have unique purple tongues and are "asian."

anyhow, so i feel as though people see chow-owners as people how love the appearance alone.
but isn't this true of every owner? like if we see a dog, we think it's cute, then we may likely adopt it, no? then that's based on appearance. you can't get to know the dog's personality unless you spend some time with it, right? (especially since attitudes can change based on care and attention given)

i love my chows' tongues, snouts, posture, fur, etc..but i love those things because i love chows. and i love chows because i've only every owned chows.
if the souls/hearts of my chows were in another breed--i could very likely love that breed's characteristics too, right?

sorry for my bad articulation of my question and long post.
i'm just curious as to others' take on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I just have to be so nice and give away my precious sweet pea a 1 yrs old yorkie to my friend. Dunno what I was thinking. Now I  miss her so much. She didn't stay with me that long but i grew to love her. It's horrible idea  to go back and ask for her back right? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest skipturninrain

Hi, I have a few questions concerning to my cats. Well first I have 5 cats, 4 are siblings (cats from the mom cat whom we owned and in which we spayed after the incident and who passed away by a dog bite) and 1 just came as a stray and decided to live with us...mainly for the food I gave to my cats. Anyways, there is a problem with the stray cat...he initially came skinny ever since he came every time I give my cats cat food he races wait no! let me rephrase...he suddenly appears! in front of my other cats food and eats way too fast and continues eating the food of my other cats even though I serve him his own portion...and the end result of his gluttony is that hes now looking bigger and fatter than my own cats!! So I would like some suggestions to how to control his appetite. So far everytime he finishes his own portion I take him out of the house, since I feed them indoors and also because when I used to feed my cats outside other cats started appearing including that stray cat who managed to stay and my sister chose to take him 'in".

I also have another issue...cat poop/pee.
I bought litter boxes almost a year ago and some of my cats know how to use it but others...do their necessities either outside (which I don't mind) or on the carpet of the living room. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to fix this, now I don't even dare to invite anyone to come over since some of the smell is there very faint, but its still there. I let the window open for my cats to go in and out as they please esp. when they need to do their necessities. I need help on making them have good kitty habits and to remove the smell, probably I might even have to change the carpet but I'm kinda broke atm.

Guest dolljjang

@skipturninrain I've never ever trained my cat but luckily they're all having a good habits. Just make sure the the litter box is all clean so the kitty would want to pee there. and I think it's better to put the litter box outside (garden etc)

anywoooo...here's a pic of my kitty <3
my+cutie+kitten+%25281%2529xx.jpg
 chiko-the papa cat
my+cutie+kitten+%25282%2529x.jpg
my+cutie+kitten+%25284%2529x.jpg

sorry for the crappy cellphone pics x_x

Guest skipturninrain

@dolljjang thanks for the tips I'll try to put the litter box in the garage because of certain bad experiences with my backyard btw your cats are really cute the mom cat of my cats was found dead on my backyard I think a dog killed her (that's one of the reasons I'm putting the litter box in the garage).

Guest dolljjang

@skipturninrain awww..it's sad to hear that ;^; yeah backyard is not the safest place for our cats >.< one of my little kitten was killed by other intruder-cat too. I think garage is OK, sumtimes I put the litter box in the garage too ^-^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest HavenInMuse

My dog, Cosmo - he's a border collie mix. In this photo he's about 4 months old.
2012-08-08_1344453419.jpg Now, he's' 8 months and almost 50 lbs. Big boy!
2012-09-18_1348008924.jpg

PYRITE

wrote:

»

QUOTE1. Do not feed your pets any human food! Unless you own a pet monkey or another primate and give him bananas, do not feed your pet any human food! For fish, some vegetables are acceptable such as chopped up skinless green peas, but please ask in this thread if you're not sure about other food!

... It really depends on what you're feeding it. Obviously no instant noodles, hamburgers, and what not. But one of my dog's 13+ years and he eats what I eat everyday. Kinda. without the flavoring. like rice+boiled chicken..and I eat rice with bbq or swt

Archived