Korean Skin Care Secret?

Guest etoilee

Guest lannytraan

Im asian to, but i live in Norway. i have also allways wondered why korean/japanese girls always have to beautiful skin. Well, for the first. Its because they are celebrities and have to have the cute and beautiful image. They have a really strictly diet. The second is that they use alot of money on beauty. 90% of the korean celebrities are having a plastic surgery so fixing the skin is  no problem for them. They also exercise alot and drinks alot of water. You can see that all the celebrities weight is under 50. thats ¨normal¨ in the celebrities world, but for us ¨normal people? ¨. its not healthy. for a girl with the height 165 and the weight 55 THAT is NORMAL. Not only in Norway but in USA, America etc.

Well as i can see. some of my friends have a really beautiful skin, and they dont even care about their skin. its the gene. i wish to have beautiful skin to. and using alot of money on many product. still, im getting acnes and scars. i dont have a smooth skin but i also dont have that bad skin. We just have to learn to forget it and be happy with what we have. Just think, many people are having a much worser skin, health etc then yourself. have confidence...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dreamy21

diet,

exercise, 

climate, 

good quality lotions/facewashes/mask/makeupetc(Honestly, American brand makeup is terrible for your skin. Many brands just clog up your pores and contain too many chemicals

good water source

SUNSCREEN

All my friends in Korea wear sunscreen because they don't want their skin to age and they don't want to get tanner.

I live in the US and I always had breakouts and acne...when I went to seoul for  3 weeks and my skin cleared up A LOT.

I think the water-system over there is better

• 4 weeks later...
Guest yoon_ji99

As most people say I think diet, climate, and skincare routine are all important factors. Korean diet is naturally very healthy. Humidity is extremely good for the skin as it cleanses the pores and korean skincare products are absolutely phenomenal.

Guest CYdolly

I heard that the weather or something in Korea helps improve your skin? Well everyone who goes to Korea for the summer come back with nicer skins xD and I've been told by a couple too

Plus the fact they have a lot of saunas and stuff can explain it too

It is about their diet (the stuff they eat are generally healthier than what you would normally eat on daily basis say in the states), skincare routine (using 9 products 2-3 times a day is considered normal) and climate (it is less dry there and that contributes to nicer skin automatically).. and perhaps going to the dermatologist occasionally (either it is cheaper there, or people just find the money to spend it on treatments all the time).

A lot of my international friends come here to study and they always complain about how their skin have gotten worse (definitely a lot drier, and some get pimples). The food is also less healthy. I remember how I shocked one of my friends when I told her that I only use acne cream, moisturizer and occasionally a toner before I go to sleep. She said that I was not even using half the number Koreans use, and that most of them use 9-12 products 2-3 times a day =/

Guest ShinoguW

The weather is much more humid in Asia, humid may feel bad but it is very good for the skin. Also, I noticed a lot of people in Japan/Korea had special soap for the face as well as carried some special wipes around (and they carried around umbrellas to keep from tanning). I guess in America no one really cares that much. Some people (like my siblings) were born with flawless skin, but even they eventually get sun spots. 

I think just drinking a lot of water and not using any moisturizers keeps my skin fine. 

Guest ail221

I'd say it has to do with the importance placed on beauty in Korea. South Korea is one of the beauty/plastic surgery capitals of the world. Yes the traditional korean diet is very healthy but I have seen some native koreans with very bad skin as well. There are a lot more beauty products there for the general population not  only celebrities. One secret of Korean beauty is BB Cream I have Korean friends that use it all the time to cover the worse possible blemishes and their skin looks perfect.

Guest dreamy21

It is about their diet (the stuff they eat are generally healthier than what you would normally eat on daily basis say in the states), skincare routine (using 9 products 2-3 times a day is considered normal) and climate (it is less dry there and that contributes to nicer skin automatically).. and perhaps going to the dermatologist occasionally (either it is cheaper there, or people just find the money to spend it on treatments all the time).

A lot of my international friends come here to study and they always complain about how their skin have gotten worse (definitely a lot drier, and some get pimples). The food is also less healthy. I remember how I shocked one of my friends when I told her that I only use acne cream, moisturizer and occasionally a toner before I go to sleep. She said that I was not even using half the number Koreans use, and that most of them use 9-12 products 2-3 times a day =/

Lol, people there don't use 9-12 products 2-3 times a day. I don't know where you heard that. But it's not true. Sure they might HAVE 9-12 products, but they don't use them that often.....

• 10 months later...
Guest handthatslaps

I think it all depends on individual's preference. My aunt and her daughter from Korea came to visit us. One thing I do notice is that they use their skincare products morning and night time without ever skipping once. I am not what item it is, but I see them carry this one bottle that they carry around and spray mist on face often during daytime.

Guest mastermei_

It's the things they eat, most of my friends which are Korean eat really healthily and no pizza, mcdonalds, KFC or any junk food. They also really take care of there skin as well, your not allowed to wear make-up even during high school, well maybe some high schools allow natural make-up but majority of them don't wear it in everyday life and the older you start wearing makeup = the better for your skin especially if your going through puberty and having all these horrible break-outs.

It's also partly to do with the air/weather there, humidity surprisingly does miracles for keep (some) people's skin clear, hence why people go into sauna's during the winter.

Guest olynreyes

I know a lot of korean guys that doesnt use any special products they just have naturally clear skin :/

Guest sakumar

There are way too many factors to consider... but here are the ones I think are huge. 
1. genetics: some people are more prone to acne than others.  Probably has to do with hormones, for example my mother was basically acne face for a good 4 years of her life as she tells me.  Not only did she have ridiculously oily skin but it just seems that she would break out like crazy during those high school years.  On the other hand I have mostly dry/normal skin with a semi oily t-zone when its summer here.  For me, I have never had a breakout... the closest thing I have had to that would be like three large pimples at once and even at that time I was freaking out.  2. Diet: If we can agree upon that hormones have an impact on acne then diet would too. To keep the body regular and keep the hormones at rest it would be important to have a balanced diet.  This would include eating lots of vegetables and less sweets/fattening foods.  That doesn't mean load yourself up on carrots or what ever your favorite veggie is.  This means eat the whole rainbow of fruits and vegetables and get a good amount of protein in your diet.  
3. Process: Although we were all taught how to brush out teeth we still do it differently.  Since processes can vary, that is also another factor to difference in skin.  They take the time to apply various products to their skin.  Not to mention the products can differ from person to person.  What is important is that you need to find what product works for you.  Just because it is a korean product or just because its a luxury product doesn't mean its the best.  Heck the best shampoo I have ever used came from the dollar store that shut down when I was young.  
4. Climate: Skin changes with the weather, so should your skin care.  Take into account how your skin naturally is in different parts of the year and create a regimen that fits your skin's needs.
5. Money: I forgot where I read this but it seems that Asian countries spend a lot more on skin care compared to the US where as the US spends a lot more on cosmetics compared to Asia.  That being established there are various things that fall under skincare.  Other than products that we can all use at home, there are dermatologists out there.  They may have the time and money to see them because from my understanding most cosmetic procedures are relatively cheaper in Asia compared to the states.  
Lastly, do not strive for "Korean" skin, what the media shows us isn't necessarily what their real skin looks like.  Instead strive for your own skin to be the finest it can be.  Refine it and people will be saying I wish I had skin like you :o  

Guest handthatslaps

I just think you need to some considerable time and money on skin.Look at the chart, http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-13Just for plastic surgery for skin/hair, Korean already topped the world.I am sure there are some Koreans do not spend much on skincare products, but I think in general they spend more than any other nationalities. I myself use Korean skincare stuff for men. Compared to typical men's skincare products you buy at the drug store in the United States, Korean stuff I used seems to work better.

Guest GDZY.cookielove

not all of them have the BEST skin. I know lots of koreans who have really bad acne. it really depends on who you are talking about

Guest handthatslaps

Anyone heard or tried Korean skin care called Whoo? My mother has been using  Paeon. It was formulated by a researcher who also part of formulating Whoo. I know that Whoo is expensive!

Guest fiercediva

Things I've wondered about:

Is it common for younger women to be on hormone-based birth control in Korea? I'm thinking not as much, and sometimes birth control pills can either clear up your skin or break you out, depending on your hormonal balance and the pill's ratio of estrogen to progesterone. Testosterone levels also play a role in skin breakouts (as evidenced by people who use steroids and their broken-out skin).

Also, East Asians in general are not as hairy as Westerners. Some of the acne I see is sebum building up around the base of a hair follicle, or impacted hair follicle-related, especially in guys with heavy beards who get shaving irritations.

I also see hair product-related acne in the U.S. on occasion (i.e. hair that has styling product in it coming into contact with skin and breaking it out). I'm pretty sure that's not happening to Koreans.

Guest handthatslaps

I am not sure if it's common for younger women in Korea are in birth-control. I do know that in Korea it's easy to buy them since the birth control drugs are labeled as over the counter drugs. I am not sure how it is going to be in future though. If you can read korean, read this article:  http://www.fnnews.com/view?ra=Sent0901m_View&corp=fnnews&arcid=201207100100087160005469&cDateYear=2012&cDateMonth=07&cDateDay=10Apparently there's possibility that they are trying to make it prescription drugs, but it's in discussion. 
I am not sure whether Koreans get issues with hair product-related acne. I do know that some get acne problems.

Korean here!!(:

I live in the U.S, but whenever I visit Korea my skin gets extremely better.
I have pretty good skin, but in Korea, there's not a single acne mark... (probably from genetics, and my skin matches Korea's climate^^)

I only use 3-5 products a day. (I don't wear any makeup! <-- could be a big factor)
1. Wash
2. Toner
3. Moisterizer
Depending on whether I use scrub or not, it changes (since you're only supposed to use it 1-2 times a week).
And I have this thing from Korea where you apply it on areas where you breakout at nights after washing, and they'll be basically gone the next morning.
There are different types depending on the skin type you have.

We also eat rice (everyday) and with them we have vegetable-based side dishes which are the usual.
My family personally barely eats out too.^^

I exercise everyday, or try to...hahahaha

Lastly!
You guys have probably noticed that Koreans have really pale skin and stuff.
I think (personally, this is totally not proven) since Americans tend to tan a lot more, their skin isn't as good and that may cause more acne.

Basically...it depends on your lifestyle and how much you care for it.
(...and I realized how much I actually do for my skin. And how Korean I am...hahaha) 

Guest audioque

I think it's the combination of the humid climate and good care.  I notice that girls from humid climate tend to have better skin. Look at Floridian or Sichuan girls. Sichuan girls are famous for having the best and softest skin in China. The province is also known to be extremely humid. I've found people from places like Singapore who's in their mid to late twenties that could pass for girls half their age even the self professed lazy ones.  I notice that my skin had gotten much better in the past few years. I think it's partly due to my hormone calming down and partly due to the fact that I've moved from a very dry area to a slightly more humid (still SoCal) area even if I were to due major no-nos like sleeping with my makeup on which I do all the time.

Some dermatologists say that the best thing that you could do for your skin at night is to sleep with a humidifier on (assuming that you're living in a dry area like me) and I've been doing that lately along with other things more aggressively and my goodness my skin has such at nice dewy glow to it now that I think I look pretty good even without makeup if it weren't for my eye circles. I still have years of sun damage on my forehead thanks to not putting on sunscreen on my super oily t-zone (that was before they came out with oil free, matte sunscreen) for further breakout in my teens and early twenties but now my skin is starting to look the best it ever had.

Archived