Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soompi Ulzzang Contest Round 2 results are out! See who made it to the final round!

Foreign spouses face tighter rules in Canada

ichigo_no_powderichigo_no_powder VancouverPosts: 4,632Friend of Soompi
edited March 2012 in current events
source

If a foreign spouse's marriage in Canada does not last two years, he or she could be deported, according to a proposed new federal rule.

The Conservatives believe a two-year probationary period for foreign spouses would prevent men and women from getting away with immigration fraud by marrying Canadians just to get into the country.

A Canadian spokesman for Volga Girl, a North American mail-order bride company, cheered the new regulations, saying he knows some people have used the system to side-step the Canadian immigration process.

Volga Girl, which promotes web-based international marriages, hopes the new rules will "legitimize" the industry.

"Let the visa go ahead to come to Canada and then, yeah, a two-year probationary period is fine," said Mark Scrivener, whose company describes itself as the "most reliable and effective way to find your Russian wife."

Regulations could prolong abusive marriage

The Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration enforced one new regulation March 2 that says a foreign spouse who ditches her new husband must wait five years after entering Canada before sponsoring a new partner.

The two-year probation is not yet in effect. It is open to public input until the beginning of April, and the ministry said it expects to have the regulation in place at the end of the summer.

One advocacy group in Ottawa said the new rules could put women in danger, especially if their Canadian husbands abuse them.

"There is a power imbalance inherent in this policy in regards to women, and if women are in abusive relationships we know that abuse is already silenced within our society," said Stephanie Lomatski, executive director of the Ottawa Coalition to End Violence Against Women.

Lomatski said she believes women could become trapped in abusive marriages because they would fear deportation.

"This could be an additional barrier to women coming forward if she does come into this country and is in an abusive relationship," she added.
imageimage

Replies

• snsd_foreverrsnsd_foreverr Posts: 232Member
    I actually heard of many people that do business in immigration fraud. They "marry" someone and bring them over to US as their husband/wife. The person that's coming over would have to pay a lot. 
    inxomnia
  • monkeyinabarrelmonkeyinabarrel Posts: 1,371Member

IDOL

snsd_foreverr wrote on 19 March 2012 - 04:29 PM:

I actually heard of many people that do business in immigration fraud. They "marry" someone and bring them over to US as their husband/wife. The person that's coming over would have to pay a lot. 

Yeah but you get a green card for a couple of years before you can apply for citizenship
  • monkeyinabarrelmonkeyinabarrel Posts: 1,371Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    Sorry duplicate
  • inxomniainxomnia FunkytownnPosts: 1,104Member

IDOL

snsd_foreverr wrote on 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM:

That exists where I live as well. I think the purpose of the stricter rules are to address these "sham weddings".. However it could possibly lock women into abusive relationships for longer. I guess it all can be seen as a trade off - is it worse stuck there in an abusive marriage or to be deported.
  • ichigo_no_powderichigo_no_powder VancouverPosts: 4,632Friend of Soompi
    inxomnia wrote on 20 March 2012 - 08:36 AM:

That exists where I live as well. I think the purpose of the stricter rules are to address these "sham weddings".. However it could possibly lock women into abusive relationships for longer. I guess it all can be seen as a trade off - is it worse stuck there in an abusive marriage or to be deported.

one of the comments I read though on the article's page was that the woman would've immigrated to be with her husband in the first place so if he turns out to be abusive, wouldn't she want to return home? of course I suppose there are those who would literally have nothing to return home to.
    imageimage
  • blushblush vegasPosts: 1,738Member

IDOL

I don't really know how it works completely tbh but just putting my 2c out there, that sooo many people I know marry into America (I know this article's about Canada, but it's happening here too!) and the do it because they wanna come here but don't want to learn English or study for the citizenship test.
  • TuffcoreTuffcore Karmic RedemptionPosts: 5,204Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    article wrote on 19 March 2012 - 01:46 PM:

A Canadian spokesman for Volga Girl, a North American mail-order bride company, cheered the new regulations, saying he knows some people have used the system to side-step the Canadian immigration process.

Cool, i'm going to order a Russian bride right now.

B)
    Pain is temporary
    Glory is forever
  • Eun_neptune_HimEun_neptune_Him ★>>>><<<<★ Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 2,130Member

IDOL

I see the commercials all the time now about this. There's actually websites, or dating sites specifically made to help men or women find a potential husband or wife and get married just so that they can move to the U.S. or Canada. They are not afraid to admit it either to people even on t.v.
    ✖✖★✖★✖✖
  • thesisoflovethesisoflove canadaPosts: 1,775Member

IDOL

I remember a few years back where I knew of someone's family member allegedly "married" some girl from China and wanted to become a Canadian citizen.
    Not sure what really happened after that because after all, it wasn't even a legitimate marriage in the first place.

Hopefully they'll enforce something with the laws of childbirth.. because of a lot of foreigners (mainly China) are coming here to give birth, so their kid has benefits with Canadian citizenship..