What language do you think in?

Guest leehyori2

Guest Arodwen

I think mostly in English because to survive in America, you must know English and since the typical US citizen only speaks English, I've completely immersed myself in the English language.

When I go to Chinese websites, watch Chinese dramas, or read anything in Chinese, I think in Mandarin but the thoughts (if spoken out loud) sometimes are translated into English xD

Lastly, when I'm speaking with my parents and other Fuzhou immigrants/dialect speakers, I think and speak in Fuzhounese.

Every now and then, I get the odd thought in German.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lucky.clover

Depends really. Someitmes I think in cantonese while other times I think in english. It gets funny when I'm thinking in cantonese and talking with my english speaking friends because I'm always on the verge of saying what's in my head. One day I'll mess up and I'll have a slip of tongue XD

Guest baehyun

this is a really interesting idea, I remember someone asking me a similar question a while back about what language you dream in. (What language do you guys dream in?)

I usually think in English(shocker) but I grew up sort of multilingual until I went to school so some choice words of phrases kinda pop up in Korean or Japanese. Like I always think of goldfish as kingyo or want as wonhae before I think of them in English. When I'm judging someone it all turns to Korean really quickly tho ^^;;;

Guest Wingedbunny

Most of the time i just think in dutch. I was born and raised in the Netherlands so when it comes to things like preparing food or subjects in school like maths or explaining how to do a certain action it would be easier to think in dutch because i was taught these things in dutch. However I'm much better at conveying my feelings in English. It just seems like there are more words to explain the way i feel about something.

Guest vivianimbecile

70% canto and 30% english. english popped up from my head first lately. this is weird.

anyways good for me.

didnt realize it was discussed 2 weeks from now o.o

this was interesting most off people think in English !!!!

but i think Armenian (my mother language ) most off the time,  just when i wanna speak English or Persian i think in those language .

and think English when i thinking about someone that i don't now his language .... like Koreans  :D

I was born in China, but I pretty much grew up in the US. As a result, the voices in my head are both Mandarin and English. It's funny really, sometimes I argue with myself in mind with one language as one side, and I wonder, "Is this what schizophrenics hear?"

Archived