Official Android Phones Thread

Guest WitchGoddess

Guest tirahbunny

Hello, could someone please help me out here?

I'm in the middle of deciding which Android phone to get because my contract term ends in less than a week!( :w00t: )

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which network and which phone.

Should I pick AT&T or Verizon?

AT&T has the Aria that I think I'll most likely get and Verizon has the Eris if I go with Verizon.

So, which is the better one?

i think the Aria looks better and im sort of biased too, because Verizon doesnt use sim cards so i dont like it haha.

also, i heard the Aria is free now with new contract?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thinkTwice

1. Which phone you have

-Motorola Droid. The orignial one

2. Three most useful applications

-google maps, yes it's stock, but I use it everyday when I was in nyc to explore and in my new city

-NYT- I like reading the news to go

-yelp- I like to eat, what can I say :)

Reading through your recs, I may have to check out a few apps.

3. Any themes you use

-Nope. 100% vanilla Google Android. Boring yes, but I'm trying not to slow down my phone.

4. Version of Android Device

Don't pick a phone based on the phone. First pick a network, then pick the phoen. Otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt. My motorola phone is pretty durable. I don't have a screen protector and a case and I've dropped it once on a hard floor. Nothing. I'm careful with my phone, but the few times I've scraped across a metal clip to the garage door opener against my screen- nothing.

Is it me or are these phones getting to big? Next thing you know Android phones will be boasting that the screen is larger than an iPad screen!

Guest ipaul

Hello, could someone please help me out here?

I'm in the middle of deciding which Android phone to get because my contract term ends in less than a week!( :w00t: )

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which network and which phone.

Should I pick AT&T or Verizon?

AT&T has the Aria that I think I'll most likely get and Verizon has the Eris if I go with Verizon.

So, which is the better one?

Don't switch carriers just for a phone.

Always make sure you have excellent network coverage and if you can afford the monthly plan (if you are a student, you can get % discounts on your monthly statement, depending on the network)

Guest High Kick

Tonyc402, how's your nexus one holding up? i'm going to get it for my brother this weekend for his graduation present but was wondering if i should get him a case too. he's against cases (he uses all of his phones naked with just a screen protector) but if the paint is going to chip (like i've seen on a couple of message boards), then i think i can convince him.

thanks in advance.

Guest Tonyc402

Tonyc402, how's your nexus one holding up? i'm going to get it for my brother this weekend for his graduation present but was wondering if i should get him a case too. he's against cases (he uses all of his phones naked with just a screen protector) but if the paint is going to chip (like i've seen on a couple of message boards), then i think i can convince him.

thanks in advance.

Ive only dropped it twice since I got my phone in March and it has held up pretty good. Both times i dropped it on cement and there are no scratches either(also the good thing is the back of the phone has a matte texture). I actually am quite against cases as well ahah (makes my phone look uggggly) so i try to be extra careful with my phones. If hes not a careless guy then he should be fine without a case haha.

Guest High Kick

Ive only dropped it twice since I got my phone in March and it has held up pretty good. Both times i dropped it on cement and there are no scratches either(also the good thing is the back of the phone has a matte texture). I actually am quite against cases as well ahah (makes my phone look uggggly) so i try to be extra careful with my phones. If hes not a careless guy then he should be fine without a case haha.

thanks for the reply. i was having a hard time deciding if i should get him the nexus one or wait for the vibrant (galaxy s) in july, but i think vanilla android might be the way to go (since he's already using blur). i think it'd amaze him to see android in its purest form. but the super amoled is looking mighty fine!

• 2 months later...
Guest WitchGoddess

i think the Aria looks better and im sort of biased too, because Verizon doesnt use sim cards so i dont like it haha.

also, i heard the Aria is free now with new contract?

I find the Aria way too small to use. Smart phones these days are 4" plus, the Aria seems to want to go backwards.

Guest deverish

1. Had the Samsung Vibrant for a month but returned it.

2. The VR tunnel live wallpaper was pretty awesome. Opera for downloading files, it was the only browser that would actually let me download files I needed, not sure if this applies to other androids phones. SilentMode OnOff is a great widget for instant toggling between ringer/vibrate/silent. Dimmer is a great widget for instant toggling between set brightness and dimmest brightness on the vibrant. Especially since the lowest setting through the power widget is still bright on the vibrant. Since the vibrant lacks led notifications, NoLed takes advantage of the AMOLED screen to give you visible missed calls, messages etc notifications.

3. none

4. Ran on 2.1

samsung-vibrant-rotate.jpg

So I sent back my vibrant within the buyer's remorse period and I'm waiting for the G2 to come out at the end of Sep. Stock 2.2 (flash player!), physical keyboard for maximum screen space while typing in landscape and HSPA+ enabled to run on t-mobile's fastest data network, optimally up to 14.4 Mbps. can't wait ^_^

t-mobile-g2-ofc-leak.jpg

I find the Aria way too small to use. Smart phones these days are 4" plus, the Aria seems to want to go backwards.

Although, if the person doesn't care about screen real estate, it could be good just to save a bit on battery life.

Guest Tonyc402

^ the only thing im quite disappointed about in the G2 is that it only has a 800mhz processor . I thought HTC wouldve done 1ghz since its usually the standard for the past few months and the phones. Vanilla android FTW

Guest deverish

^That's true, but from what I'm reading, scorpion should be a better and more efficient processor so it is still fast. If that's the case, I won't mind sacrificing the 200mhz and get better battery life. That was one of my problems with vibrant, hummingbird was nice snappy and fast, but I was always watching out for the battery and constantly charging. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Guest Tonyc402

^That's true, but from what I'm reading, scorpion should be a better and more efficient processor so it is still fast. If that's the case, I won't mind sacrificing the 200mhz and get better battery life. That was one of my problems with vibrant, hummingbird was nice snappy and fast, but I was always watching out for the battery and constantly charging. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Well at least you'll be able to put different ROMS in it . thats definately going to be the highlight of the G2

Guest ahyungx3

whooo i just got a droid 2 yesterday :) what an upgrade from my lg chocolate! the sales guy kinda threw it at me, he said its the best? didnt really get to try out any other phones but i really like this one! the droid x seems like a good phone too... shoulda tried it out too before i got this one..

Guest Tonyc402

whooo i just got a droid 2 yesterday :) what an upgrade from my lg chocolate! the sales guy kinda threw it at me, he said its the best? didnt really get to try out any other phones but i really like this one! the droid x seems like a good phone too... shoulda tried it out too before i got this one..

droid X isnt that much different from Droid 2 other than the fact that droid x doesnt have an full qwerty keyboard. Both use Motoblur .

Anyone know where I can get Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant accessories? I've tried eBay, but some of them are so ghetto looking, lol. There's an amazing listing here, but it's on Gmarket. ;___; Hoping to find a store in Toronto that sells accessories for the Vibrant, but worse comes to worse, maybe I'll just do a Gmarket survey on Soompi or whatever. D:

Guest autumnleavesx

^ Amazon?

1. HTC Evo 4G

2. Handcent, instead of the stock messenger because it's much better looking and more customizable as well.

Mint, it takes care of all my finances. Has my bank, credit card info, and lets me know how much I have to wash away. It also gives me monthly budgets to follow, but I don't, of course lol.

Engadget, haha, I am just obsessed with Engadget. I get on the app many times per day.

3. LauncherPro, it's an amazing launcher. Much better than a/Open/PandaHome, in my opinion. Sure, those have little themes and whatnot, but they're so buggy and not as polished. ADW is great as well.

4. Rooted 2.2, running Baked Snack 1.7 ROM, very snappy, very fast, very stable. I LOVE flashing ROMs, kernels, etc. The level of customization you can achieve with Android is just overwhelmingly awesome. There's a lot of reading and a lot of trial and errors, but just having that choice makes it that much better than some other OS's.

Guest tirahbunny

some people find that the big screen display is overwhelming and also they might have small hands.

that's me anyway hahaha,

Guest laughingman12

droid X isnt that much different from Droid 2 other than the fact that droid x doesnt have an full qwerty keyboard. Both use Motoblur .

motorola droid 2 or X doesn't run Motoblur....

Archived