Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry To All You Ugly Girls Out There...

Phaze5ivePhaze5ive Afraid of Teddy BearsPosts: 1,135Banned
edited July 2009 in current events
...but female appearances do matter.

Discovery.com writes:

Sperm Travels Faster Toward Attractive Females

Females may be outwardly choosy when selecting sexual partners -- accepting or shunning mates in very public ways -- but males may get the last say in this battle of the sexes.

New research found that males can adjust the speed and effectiveness of their sperm by allocating more or less seminal fluid to copulations. The determining factor is whether the male finds the female attractive.

The study, conducted on red junglefowl, a director ancestor of chickens, adds to the growing body of evidence that males throughout many promiscuous species in the animal kingdom, including humans, can mate with many females, but chances of fertilization are greater when the female is deemed to be attractive.

Desirable female red junglefowl are easy to identify.

"Female attractiveness is determined by the expression of a sexual ornament -- the comb -- which is phenotypically and genetically correlated to the number and mass of eggs females lay," according to study co-authors Charlie Cornwallis of the University of Oxford and the Royal Veterinary College's Emily O'Connor.

For the study, published in the current Proceedings of the Royal Society B, the researchers collected natural ejaculates from dominate and subordinate red junglefowl males housed at the University of Stockholm. The males had either just mated with attractive or unattractive females.

The scientists next separated the sperm from the seminal fluid and analyzed the quantity and characteristics of both.

"There was a strong relationship between sperm velocity and the volume of the ejaculate sperm came from," Cornwallis and O'Connor determined, adding that males allocated "larger ejaculates to attractive females."

The mechanism behind this remains a mystery for now, but the scientists have an intriguing theory.

"Males may alter the velocity of sperm they allocate to copulations by strategically firing their left and right ejaculatory ducts, which can operate independently," they explained.

Stimulation from sexy, attractive females, therefore, leads to the double firing.

"Furthermore," they added, "differential firing of left and right ejaculatory ducts may contribute to how males strategically change the number of sperm in their ejaculates, a phenomenon that is widespread, but for which the mechanism remains unknown."

Similar findings were recently determined for African cichlid fish, whose males produce speedier sperm when females mate with many males in quick succession.

John Fitzpatrick of the University of Western Australia led the fish study while he was a graduate student at McMaster University.

"The first step in producing more competitive sperm was by influencing how much energy the sperm can produce," said Fitzpatrick. "Just like a mechanic could make a car drive faster by installing a better engine, evolution appears to act first on the engine that drives sperm movement."

While much of this process, including detection of attractive females, can occur on a subliminal basis, human males hoping to improve their fertility would be wise to not smoke marijuana, which University of Buffalo research shows reduces amounts of seminal fluid and lowers total sperm counts.

At the annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, which recently took place in Amsterdam, Australian obstetrician and gynecologist David Greening announced his finding that daily sex, or daily ejaculation, for seven days improves men's sperm quality by reducing the amount of DNA damage, since lengthy exposure to oxygen in the testicular ducts may harm cells.

Both Greening and the British scientists hope future research will better identify how males adjust the sperm and seminal fluid in their ejaculates, and how this affects fertility rates.

Research money well spent!
I won't bother since I won't read the rules and they won't accommodate.

Replies

• AznStrykerAznStryker Posts: 12Member
    Yeah, I saw that earlier today. At first I was like:
    1. How did they test that?
    2. Kinda obvious...?

Made more sense as I read on.
  • Jello.Jello. OINK OINKK. :] CanadaPosts: 1,868Member
    so sperm travels like,
    0.000000000000000000000001 second
    in me? LOL
  • YSKYSK Vancouver, BCPosts: 848Member
    In the name of procreation, I shall be shallow.
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,761Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2009
    strategically firing their left and right ejaculatory ducts...differential firing of left and right ejaculatory ducts may contribute to how males strategically change the number of sperm in their ejaculates

Interesting theory to say the least lol
    This is why women should do less whining about our gaming habits.
  • TuffcoreTuffcore Karmic RedemptionPosts: 5,204Member

IDOL

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Pain is temporary
    Glory is forever
  • winged_monsterwinged_monster Posts: 356Member
    QUOTE (Phaze5ive @ Jul 9 2009, 12:08 AM) »
    ...but female appearances do matter.

... but only if you're looking to get pregnant.
  • kivvikivvi Posts: 229Member
    edited July 2009
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "

more like in the balls of the beholder, haha

interesting theory. (:
  • Irony. Irony. ~ Fly to the Sky ~ HeavenPosts: 8,328Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited July 2009
    so sperm travels like,
    0.000000000000000000000001 second
    in me? LOL

No wrong, that's the time it takes for them to escape you =]
    revised.gif
    b224a7e21.png
    Don't cry bcuz it's over, Smile because it happened || Facebook || 411
  • lovex3lovex3 Posts: 279Member
    QUOTE (kivvi @ Jul 8 2009, 09:44 PM) »
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "

interesting theory. (:

LOL

Anyway, I thought this was sort of obvious already.
  • suzushiisuzushii Posts: 838Member
    QUOTE (Mannosuke @ Jul 9 2009, 08:20 AM) »
    Interesting theory to say the least lol
    This is why women should do less whining about our gaming habits.

Sooo, you're a red jungle fowl?

*Ba-kawwwwwk!* winks and shows off her comb
  • tonycfctonycfc Posts: 143Member
    Nice article. Though obvious! True to a certain extend, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. *Laughs*

• daulismdaulism ! Posts: 3,131Member
    this is just as obvious as the article i read about having a handsome husband will also make your kids handsome too. DOY?
    Moonlight speakers bumpin'
    Stars won't stop keep jumpin'
    Everybody's feelin'~ enjoy the night baby~
  • foowdx3foowdx3 BIG2NE1? ♪ the dance floor ♪Posts: 1,299Member
    QUOTE (YSK @ Jul 9 2009, 01:16 AM) »
    In the name of procreation, I shall be shallow.

AHAHAHA nice one.

but seriously who cares. not like "ugly" girls can't get pregnant image;
    credit to ywjjloverx012 ♥ you're the best!

BIGBANGWONDERGIRLSONEDAYAFTERSCHOOL2NE1
  • Regina RaeRegina Rae Posts: 4,249Banned
    Hmmmmmm, x______x.
    formspring
    Love live Regina Rae
  • eternal_blisseternal_bliss USAPosts: 903Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE (YSK @ Jul 9 2009, 12:16 AM) »In the name of procreation, I shall be shallow.

Haha, funny. =D

QUOTE (kivvi @ Jul 9 2009, 12:44 AM) »"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "

interesting theory. (:

Pretty obvious already, no?

---

So I guess I have a bigger chance of becoming pregnant? image
    Hmmm...
    It is the obligation of the intelligent to oppress the stupid, otherwise they will take over the world.
  • *frutti*frutti Happy is an understatement San DiegoPosts: 1,433Friend of Soompi
    So based on the theory of natural selection.....people are more attractive now than they were 10000 years ago?
    Let's commit the perfect crime. I'll steal your heart. You steal mine. image
  • winged_monsterwinged_monster Posts: 356Member
    edited July 2009
    But then again, can you really say that this hurts ugly girls? I'd say that they're lucky. It more like, congrats to ugly girls, you don't have to worry about getting knocked up.
  • chewy130chewy130 Posts: 612Banned
    QUOTE (*frutti @ Jul 9 2009, 12:31 PM) »
    So based on the theory of natural selection.....people are more attractive now than they were 10000 years ago?

of course..maybe its the style but i dont find any of the people below the 1800s attractive.
    imagine how smexy we will be in 1000 years
  • 0oyokisuo00oyokisuo0 ? ?MUSIC? ? La JollaPosts: 5,124Friend of Soompi
    edited July 2009
    QUOTE (*frutti @ Jul 9 2009, 12:31 PM) »

but the perception of beauty was also different centuries ago. remember when plump women were the most beautiful?

who came up with the research topic?! what a serious waste of money.
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,761Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2009
    QUOTE (0oyokisuo0 @ Jul 9 2009, 03:56 PM) »
    but the perception of beauty was also different centuries ago. remember when plump women were the most beautiful?

who came up with the research topic?! what a serious waste of money.

There are plenty of other things they could waste money on lol
    I find this a good argument for darwinists.

Speaking of plump women, I remember watching a documentary on plump burlesque.
    Don't ask.