Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

Guest trueloveway

thanks for the links.. my speaking and reading skills are okay - thanks to Chinese school and reading Chinese books/websites.

可是,没什么机会写中文所以这方面有点差了。。 希望将来能多学学。。 真的不想丢了我的中文 ~__~

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trueloveway

most of the books were ones my dad bought for me from China. they have one page of Chinese and the next would be the same thing but translated in English. pretty handy but still needed to pull out the dictionary more than a few times.

haven't read anything recently or anything that's really worth recommending :/.. i guess you could try 三国演义 San Guo Yan Yi. found a link: http://www.chinapage.com/sanguo/sanguobg.html

most of the books were ones my dad bought for me from China. they have one page of Chinese and the next would be the same thing but translated in English. pretty handy but still needed to pull out the dictionary more than a few times.

haven't read anything recently or anything that's really worth recommending :/.. i guess you could try 三国演义 San Guo Yan Yi. found a link: http://www.chinapage.com/sanguo/sanguobg.html

I have a paper-back version. It's got like pronounciation guides :lol:

I may be able to recommend some books - depending on your reading ability, though.

Try...um...weak :lol:

Guest msmilkt

wow! great thread ^^

i`ve been attending chinese school here in Australia for 5 years, and is currently doing Chinese Second Language 3/4

my mum is from Guangzhou and my dad is from vietnam so we speak a lot of cantonese as home .. as well as watch a lot of chinese t.v/movies

because i use it so much, and it`s a big part of my life, chinese becomes easier for me to learn [mandrin], whereas, my other friends find it a lot more difficult .. because they rarely use it in their daily lives ..

by the way .. does anyone here have any software where i can type in traditional chinese by typing in the pinying, or something like that?

my computer can`t type chinese, and it`s difficult for me to communicate with my friends and family in China because they can`t read pinying ..

thanks in advanced ..

Guest trueloveway

^ i did Chinese Second Language 3/4 as well. i heard they have some new system where there's advanced and intermediate now O-O. yeah, it really helps if you speak it at home. my parents forced me to start speaking Mandarin at home from a couple of years back. usually we speak a different dialect. well, good luck with that :)

Guest dead-nova

I was born in Hong Kong but came to Australia when i was 1 years old.

I had 6 years of chinese school, then stopped for 4 years and started again last year.

So now, my chinese is crap! My situation now is that i can understand cantonese but can't really speak it. My chinese reading and writing skills are close to nothing and when i do read chinese, i read it in MANDARIN! can't even read it in canto -_- (thanx stupid chinese school!!!)

i can also only read simplified chinese.. although i can recongnise some traditional (in most dramas, chinese subtitles are in traditional)

I want to go back to HK =(

Guest putasmileon

I was born in Hong Kong but came to Australia when i was 1 years old.

I had 6 years of chinese school, then stopped for 4 years and started again last year.

So now, my chinese is crap! My situation now is that i can understand cantonese but can't really speak it. My chinese reading and writing skills are close to nothing and when i do read chinese, i read it in MANDARIN! can't even read it in canto -_- (thanx stupid chinese school!!!)

i can also only read simplified chinese.. although i can recongnise some traditional (in most dramas, chinese subtitles are in traditional)

I want to go back to HK =(

Shouldn't your parents write traditional since you're from Hong Kong?

Guest dead-nova

^。。。你還是在學中文。。。有什麽問題?越來越多人在學國語, 所以我不覺得有問題=/

are u asking me why i'm not writing in chinese? O_O

Shouldn't your parents write traditional since you're from Hong Kong?

yeah! my parents write in traditional but the chinese school that i went to made us learn simplified. But my parents can read simplified too hehe .. they are so smart! I always nag them to help me in my homework hehe but now they are overseas so cant rely on them anymore =(

Guest hillz3388

man i really needa improve on some more simplified chinese characterz....i know a few ..but theyre really different from traditional onez..i know the trad. ones....gaaah..n i wanna learn how to speak mandarin too since am canto!

Guest putasmileon

yeah! my parents write in traditional but the chinese school that i went to made us learn simplified. But my parents can read simplified too hehe .. they are so smart! I always nag them to help me in my homework hehe but now they are overseas so cant rely on them anymore =(

That's a shame. When you're good at simpified, you should definitely learn traditional.

no...

man i really needa improve on some more simplified chinese characterz....i know a few ..but theyre really different from traditional onez..i know the trad. ones....gaaah..n i wanna learn how to speak mandarin too since am canto!

It's easier to recognize them when you know the traditional.

You're lucky you're cantonese, cause from what I've seen, it's almost impossible to learn it and become fluent >____>

I took Chinese school for 10 years and can read maybe enough for me to understand, but I can't write a whole lot..so many strokes and stuff to remember -.-..I should learn how to write in simplified seems a lot easier.

Wow 10 years -_-

What do those teachers actually teach you >____________>

This is no longer the Chinese help thread, it is the "omg I was born in america and took chinese for X amount of years and still can't read or write, waaa" etc thread...

haha just kidding :) 我以后想去中国并且学习中文,但是我现在在日本很忙.而且我剩下的钱也不多了.有谁能给我些钱吗? :D

Sorry for the oogly simplified, not sure how to type in traditional :unsure: 我愛中国人 <-- Typed using Japanese, haha

那么,我们继续互相帮助学习中文吧 !

Guest crystal_clover

^ No, I meant what does it mean when you call a person that.

苗means seedling.

If you call someone 苗, it means that the person is still naive / young / a greenhorn / inexperienced just like a seedling which has yet to grow up.

Guest saggiorpiioxgalaxy

That's a shame. When you're good at simpified, you should definitely learn traditional.

I want to learn traditional! I'm already good at simplified(learned it since I was born =P) so its time I should start. I don't feel full Chinese when I don't know traditional.. I can read though but not write.

I want to learn traditional! I'm already good at simplified(learned it since I was born =P) so its time I should start. I don't feel full Chinese when I don't know traditional.. I can read though but not write.

Pick up a book or newspaper and see if you can read the traditional script. If you know simplified, it's not too difficult to decipher the equivalent in traditional.

Archived