Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

Guest putasmileon
Helping the victims of learning Chinese
Hey everybody! I know Chinese can be a difficult language to learn, so I'm here to help (along with other Chinese Soompiers!). Whether you're just learning or need some help here and there, I will try my best to answer your questions. However, please... if you are not fluent in the language, please do not answer full-fledged translation questions, pronunciation questions, etc. Just offer some advice. We don't want to confuse Chinese learners. Also, if you don't live in a Chinese-speaking country, don't offer cultural advice or cultural vocabulary. Resources: *Learn Chinese (Basics) *Useful Dictionary/Romanizer/Simplifier/Traditionalizer *Writing Chinese Font on XP *Adding BoPoMoFo on Word (Windows&Mac) ^^ (it's about furigana, japanese, but it automatically becomes BoPoMoFo ㄅㄆㄇㄈ, so following the same instructions) *Chinese Font on Mac *Useful Chinese Tools *Learn Chinese Characters *Words, phrases, etc. *Pinyin Pronunciation *Basic Terms *Mandarin Tips *Some interesting services *Setting Up Chinese on XP; changing input to HanYuPinYin (romanizations) ^^ PLEASE DON'T ASK ABOUT THESE TOPICS ON THE FORUM unless the links are down. Don't create pages and pages of the same questions. Check those out and ask away! Please specify which dialect you need help in (if conversational); traditional or simplified Chinese; the tone (conversational, formal, etc.) you want translated; the location the word is from (vocabulary varies between places in China); romanized or not (Jyutping, Pingying, Yale); etc. We may or not be able to help (but with the myriad of Soompiers, it shouldn't be a problem).. Also, keep conversations to a minimal. We don't want to be wasting Soompi's bandwidth now do we.. so please keep conversations on PMs instead of on this post. Thanks a lot guys and I hope this post will be of use! 歡迎大家! 如果你有問題, 請問吧! 欢迎大家! 如果你有问题, 请问吧! huan1 ying2 da4 jia1! ru2 guo3 ni3 you3 wen4 ti2, qing3 wen4 ba5! fun1 jing4 daai6 ga1! jyu4 gwo2 nei5 jau6 man6 tai4, cing2 man6 ba6! fun1 ying4 daai6 ga1! yu4 gwo2 nei5 yau5 man6 tai4, cheng2 man6 ba1! edit: side note - As far as demographics go, Mandarin is not a people group; it is a dialect. Cantonese is a people group and a dialect.. people from Guangdong/Canton or the dialect from Guangdong/Canton. PLEASE - to be accurate, never mix that up. Don't ask "Are you Mandarin or Cantonese?" Just ask.. "Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?" Most people in China, regardless of the province they live in, can speak Chinese.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to like this thread.

EDIT: I knew I was going to like this thread. I just learned how to type in traditional with IME inputs :lol:

Guest putasmileon

I'm going to like this thread.

EDIT: I knew I was going to like this thread. I just learned how to type in traditional with IME inputs :lol:

I personally find typing in HanYuPinYin much easier since IME requires a good hand with a mouse.. and I don't have that. :-D My characters aren't proportional when I write with my right hand mouse (I'm a lefty). :-/

I personally find typing in HanYuPinYin much easier since IME requires a good hand with a mouse.. and I don't have that. :-D My characters aren't proportional when I write with my right hand mouse (I'm a lefty). :-/

Mouse? O_o

I use IME inputs to type in non-romanized languages...

pfft 簡體字和繁體字都要寫嗎? >__>

我台湾生的,但是我一嵗就來到加拿大然後沒有在連我的中文。bleh, 快要什麽都看不懂 -_-

上中文學校一點都沒有用. :excl:

你們大家怎麽樣練中文?自己看書啊?

^lol i can only read the first 5 words on the last sentence and i went to 8 years of chinese school =/

Interesting...same with some of the cantonese students at our school.

10 years of chinese yet they still can't make conversation. Although the writing is excellent cause the script is all the same. Damn I wish I could read/write like that.

I feel like an outcast cause my vocab sucks.

EDIT: I hit some wrong keys...better go edit that other post :lol:

IME gets annoying.

我朋友百分制99的字都看得懂。 No fair at all -_-

Guest mochaluv*

Dang, I'm on the computer in my house with no chinese IME. T__T;

But yeah I'll try my best to do pin yin. XD

Tetra, ni ie shi tai wan ren ah?

wo shi tsai mei guo shen de... ke shi wo jue de shang zhong wen tsue xiao you yong.

AWW, that's hardly understandable. HAHA.

Dang, I'm on the computer in my house with no chinese IME. T__T;

But yeah I'll try my best to do pin yin. XD

Tetra, ni ie shi tai wan ren ah?

wo shi tsai mei guo shen de... ke shi wo jue de shang zhong wen tsue xiao you yong.

AWW, that's hardly understandable. HAHA.

I could read like most of it. Actually, now that I think about it, I just realize "tsai" is "zai"

I just couldn't read the last part..."tsue" totally threw me off :sweatingbullets:

I understand 20 sumdin words of what tetra sed =__=.. I'm chinese, and I'm taking mandarin class to learn to write more chinese T0T

That's the main reason why I'm taking mandarin courses. Or else I could be learning korean. God I hate how I brought myself up in the past. Wasted so much time focusing on english when I could be focusing on chinese AND english and still end up with the same english stuffs.

Although...chinese class doesn't really get you to read/write more chinese. You probably forget it afterwards.

I'm learning chinese by watching chinese commercials =D

Guest heineken.

That's the only sentence I could read completely :ph34r: I took four years of mandarin in HS.. and I could only read one sentence.. hahaha.

Guest xblubear

pfft 簡體字和繁體字都要寫嗎? >__>

我台湾生的,但是我一嵗就來到加拿大然後沒有在連我的中文。bleh, 快要什麽都看不懂 -_-

你們大家怎麽樣練中文?自己看書啊?

I practice my Chinese by listening to Chinese songs and watching Chinese dramas

I practice my Chinese by listening to Chinese songs and watching Chinese dramas

...你有學到很多嗎?...

omgs .. i can just understand parts of words xD . i went 2 chinese sku since i was in prep .. still going now =.=

如果你不努力,你只是在浪費你的時間.

Archived