The Awkward "i'm Growing My Hair Out" Stage

Guest mz simmonz

Guest mz simmonz

whether it's colored hair, permed, shaved bald, or just short haircut growing out..that phase is so awkward o.O Right now I'm waiting for my perm and my color to grow out...I mean the perm I can wait for, but I didn't want to color my hair AGAIN because it will become so damaged but then agh! the horror of ROOTS...what to do what to do?

share your experience and tips please!

Guest clemie186

Its not that bad I had Cooper/Orange-y hair for a while and I dyed semi-permanent auburn on top of that and then i let it grow out.

It wasnt bad at all, people kept on asking me if i dyed my hair again during the time i was growing my hair out

Guest nobody knows

ah. That happened to me as my orange was growing out

I just didn't bother with it, because the orange was streaked

but when my red-dyed part was growing out, it was more or less, because it wasn't so dark

depends on what color your hair was dyed..?

I just dealt with it. I used to love my caramel-y, brown hair when I first colored it, but now that it's growing out.. it's bothering the heck out of me.

After a while, I just got used to it. There's not much you can do actually.. I used to think it wouldn't be as noticable if you use a headhand or tie your hair up into a high ponytail. Heeh.

Guest kiss*kiss

I had long hair last winter (about 4 inches past my shoulders) and then I cut it during the spring time (barely touching my shoulders) and now my hair is in that weird inbetween phase where it isn't long but it isn't short and it kind of rests on my shoulders... I hate it. I always want to tie my hair up because it bothers the heck out of me to feel it all on my neck.

So yeah, I feel you... I'm totally in that awkward phase too. -_-

Not really awkward ... it's just annoying how long it takes ...

Im a guy and I'm trying to grow out my hair ... It grows so slow ...

I have like 4 months left before I can do anything wtih it. T.T

It's okay tho ... my hair isn't ugly ... I just want it longer ...

(And the sideburns are uneven. haha)

Guest silver

I had long hair last winter (about 4 inches past my shoulders) and then I cut it during the spring time (barely touching my shoulders) and now my hair is in that weird inbetween phase where it isn't long but it isn't short and it kind of rests on my shoulders... I hate it. I always want to tie my hair up because it bothers the heck out of me to feel it all on my neck.

So yeah, I feel you... I'm totally in that awkward phase too. -_-

omg I'm in that phase right now too. I had really long hair and I cut it this summer, and now it just brushes my shoulders and I don't know what to do with it. I really want my long hair back so i dont want to cut it but it's so awkward so I always tie my hair now :(

Oh man when I had short hair it was such a pain in the richard simmons to grow it out. I was so pissed off at having hair touching my neck during that stage because for years I kept it short so I was too used to having light short hair. It made me sweat in the summer and it was not long enough to tie back and it was really ugly to me =P

I had to get many hair-cuts to trim and keep it in shape and still manage to grow it long. It took me literally forever 1-2 years I think and during that time I was pissed off at my hair 24/7. *shivers*

Problems with dyed hair though....with the roots showing it will not look pretty no matter what color it is. If you don't want to dye your roots or all your hair again, try to just dye the outerlayer. So the dye will remain underneath creating a 2 layered colored look. That'll look better than having roots showing. That's exactly what I did in the past with long dyed hair. I dyed the top outer layer to my original hair color and kept the rest still that reddish brown color it had. And I just kept growing it out and phase it out with future hair-cuts and eventually the dyed parts all get trimmed off with time. Some people actually dye the layer under the top layer so color will kind of show beneath and you'll be achieving that same look. :)

Guest kiss*kiss

Problems with dyed hair though....with the roots showing it will not look pretty no matter what color it is. If you don't want to dye your roots or all your hair again, try to just dye the outerlayer. So the dye will remain underneath creating a 2 layered colored look. That'll look better than having roots showing. That's exactly what I did in the past with long dyed hair. I dyed the top outer layer to my original hair color and kept the rest still that reddish brown color it had. And I just kept growing it out and phase it out with future hair-cuts and eventually the dyed parts all get trimmed off with time. Some people actually dye the layer under the top layer so color will kind of show beneath and you'll be achieving that same look. :)

Good tip, thanks!

there was a stage with the mulletish BoA/Mika/Hori haircut where when I tried to grow it out it looked disgusting. The layers were flat my fringe was covering my face and it was just gross. In the end I got so sick that I chopped it back to its original stage and it was all good =] But now I'm determined to grow my hair back out so I just have to bear with it =[

haha im in that stage roight now..cuz i just got my ahir cut..nd its kinda like a longer mullet....not to mention my hair is black nd i have hot pink streaks in it...whichbr also growing out. meaning i have t deal with fugly shorter hair on top growing out,a nd my black roots...HAHAHA.dammit.

Guest ~Shelly~

Ah yes the "I'm growing my hair out" stage after your roots grow out. Hmm well last year I bleached my whole head blonde. Then my roots started to grow out so I just started wearing hats... haha. When it grew out so much that it was past my hat rims I dyed most of it back to brownish-black. Then let it grow out even more. Now my hair is black all the way to about 3 inches at the ends where its still an orangey-brown. I'm hoping to cut it off when it grows about another 3 inches! I guess you just have to deal with it right? Or just cover it up or try and mask it so it looks like the style you intended. =^.^=

Guest graceyoon

yeah i'm in that growing out stage and i hate it.. too short to put up but too long to leave down cuz it's layered.. does that make sense lol

i was so tired of waiting for it to grow out i would just get it recut and recut.. well i really want to grow out my hair cuz i'm getting tired of short hair but it's taking eons and right now it looks like a really bad bob

Guest morgan.de.toi

hahaha

i actually like it when my roots start to grow out~

cuz it's like i got hi-lights in my hair.

and ppl are always like oOOoo ur hair color's so nice!!

and i'm like..lol..my color's fading and ur teling me that now!?!?!?

hahaha

Oh, man.

I used to have blonde hair and then I got brown coating because my mom said my blonde hair looked absolutely hideous. So I grew it out for a frew months [it turned intoa a reddish caramel brown] and then I cut it. don't worry it's not as bad as it seems and you'll get through it. Just get lots of haircuts.

Its happening for me right now.

My bangs are whack haha

it was only like a week or two ago where i reeallly liked how my bangs were but now its flat and it doesnt sit on my forhead the way i would like it to.

i'm scared to cut it myself and i dont want to go to the salon to pay for a haircut when the rest of my hair is fine -_-

Archived