Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Double Eyelid Surgery Thread

Replies

• soozieahnsoozieahn Posts: 8Member, New Member
    darkpassion wrote on 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM:

I have a question about lateral canthoplasty... The last time I went for my consultation one doctor mentioned that there was a high chance my eyes would just go back to the original state after lateral. I was looking at id hospital and apparently they have a method that guarantees that will not happen. Anyone ever done surgery with them? Or does anyone here know a clinic that guarantees the same? I really want to elongate my eyes so I have to do lateral. However I don't really understand much about it as there isn't adequate information about the matter. I would love it if someone could explain it further to me. One more thing id hospital has a method called 7 lock non incisional surgery that 'never unwinds' according to them. Anyone heard of it?

If your goal is to elongate your eyes, I think you should be looking at epicanthoplasty and not lateral canthoplasty.  Based on my research, and info I gathered through my consultation, your eyes will not appear wider from doing the lateral.  My doctor also said he never likes to recommend for or against lateral, bc it can really change the way a person looks.  I guess it depends on how dramatic a change you are going for, and are willing to take that risk.  A great resource for me was www.realself.com/question/lateral-canthoplasty-asian-patient  I used this site a lot to look up various Q&As and doc reviews.

I hope that helps!
  • someguy1981someguy1981 Posts: 8Member
    Can anyone post, or send me a PM, the email addresses of various reputable surgeons in Korea? I would like to do an online "consultation" first by sending them pictures of my eyes. Also, do these doctors perform rhinoplasty as well since I would like to narrow the tip of my nose.
  • iamMAN26iamMAN26 Posts: 4New Member
    edited April 2012
    HELP! HELP!

anyone receiving a BURNING / STINGING sensation AFTER surgery? It's been over a year now.

Continual burning sensation. It feels like the muscle/tendon right above the the cut. 

No pain when I first wake up. Only after I open my eyes and then it's constant ALL day. 

Anyone else getting this? What is causing this? any ideas?
  • rockhella69rockhella69 Posts: 3New Member
    iamMAN26 wrote on 16 April 2012 - 05:25 PM:

HELP! HELP!

anyone receiving a BURNING / STINGING sensation AFTER surgery? It's been over a year now.

Continual burning sensation. It feels like the muscle/tendon right above the the cut. 

No pain when I first wake up. Only after I open my eyes and then it's constant ALL day. 

it sounds serious! no i dont have that sensation at all. i think you have to check with a doctor for this. it shouldnt be so uncomfortable. my lids just feel very tight.

has anyone done a revision on their eye lids before? i read on this thread that its very painful to get a revision because the docitor has to remove the old thread and its takes a longer time to operate. is that really true?
  • iamMAN26iamMAN26 Posts: 4New Member
    iamMAN26 wrote on 16 April 2012 - 05:25 PM:

HELP! HELP!

It makes me want to close my left eye all the time. But it doesn't really relieve it. Sadly, I asked my doctor and he has no idea. Could it be too deep into the muscle tendon? or too  high? it is a fairly deep crease. 
  • mikaila229mikaila229 Posts: 30Member
    Did you get ptosis correction along with double eyelid surgery?
    Because after getting ptosis correction, I got the same sensation, my doctor told me that it's because he cut a little bit of my levator muscle ( only the part that is loose). But he told me that after a few months, it would go away And it did.
    So I think that your doctor might overcut your eye's levator muscle.
  • avatakaavataka Posts: 1New Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi there! Been lurking this forum for a bit ahaha. I couldn't really find a case like mine so I'd really like some feedback. Growing up I had hidden lids and I'd always complain to my mom. Both her and my dad had double lids so she said they'd grow. They did, but I find the crease height low and I've battled the dislike until now (I'm turning 22 this June). Also I have tapered lids and would like them to be parallel or have at least some skin in the inner corners. I'm really only looking for a subtle change, not anything dramatic. Here is my eye right now (iPhone quality, sorry lol):
    [img]http://i40.Richard Simmons/11bnswg.jpg[/img]

Also my eyes are really uneven, especially my right eye (that pic is my left eye). It falls into being monolid from time to time. While I know it's common, it's partly why I want the surgery. I've done my research and I've decided on Dr. Lawrence Tong in Toronto, Canada. Anyone ever have their surgery done by him? He has great credentials and great reviews. I'm planning to do a consultation in two months.

Thank you!
    ciana
  • Dilation_FieldDilation_Field Posts: 10Member

ROOKIE

edited April 2012
    TPhoto_00017edit.jpg
    Based on picture, do you guys think I need to go get a ptosis repair since my eyes look uneven?
  • BerryHotBerryHot Posts: 52Member

ROOKIE

edited April 2012
    Dr. Eric Choe, Manhattan

This review is a compilation of my experience with him for the past 4 years.
    I got my double eyelid surgery with Dr. Choe summer of 2008. Total price was $2000 for incisional double eyelid + $500 for medial epicanthoplasty.

1~2 weeks post-surgery
    postsurgery.jpg
    Even right after surgery I could see that the creases were very uneven, and the inner-front of my left eye (right side in pic) was not stitched correctly.
    Dr. Choe's office dismissed my concern saying it was due to swelling.
    Also, I was not totally satisfied with the results of my medial epi, because there was still a vertical line going down towards the front of my eyes, and he did not open up the fold.

5 weeks post-surgery
    5weeks.jpg
    Swelling had considerably gone down, and it was still obvious there was something wrong with my left eye. However, again Dr. Choe's office dismissed my concern saying it was due to swelling. They did not acknowledge that the fold in my left eye was too loose.

1 year post-surgery
    (no picture, looks same as pic below)
    By this point all the swelling had gone down and it was so obvious that my left eye had come undone. Dr. had made the fold so small that it essentially became 'hidden' double eyelids. My 'after' eyes looked like somebody's 'before' eyes. I contacted the office, did not get a straight answer to whether they would perform a revision surgery on the left eye that lost its fold.

3 years post-surgery (summer 2011)

20110421.jpg
    Left eye lost its fold.
    I contacted Dr. Choe again and he agreed to perform a partial revision on my left eye. The revision surgery was partial incision and he replaced three stitches in my left eye, making the fold stronger.

Funny enough, shortly after my revision surgery on my left eye, I could see the same thing happening to my right eye. However, Dr. Choe's office again dismissed my suspicions, saying I was probably comparing my right eye to my now-good-left eye.
    right.png
    You can see there's something wrong with the right eye. It was especially prominent in the morning bc the fold was more apparent in the morning. Dr. Choe's office said it was probably due to sweling, and that what the crease looked like when the eyes were closed did not matter as long as they looked fine when opened. (??? I do not understand this reasoning, because the fold should look great even when partially opened!!)

4years post-surgery (current)
    IMAG0511-1.jpg
    My right coming undone. There is a strange bulge of skin fold where multiple lines seem to be forming.
    You can also see the scarring from my revision surgery on the left eye is still very noticeable. There are strange folds where he placed the three stitches, it almost looks like the cuts did not heal very nicely. There is also a slight pinching on the skin where the Dr. might have made the stitch too tight. Also the crease on each eye is noticeably different and uneven.

My problems with Dr. Choe:

• I can never seem to get through to him. His assistants always answer the emails and the phone calls, and if you have a question directly to Dr. Choe, you always have to go through his assistants first.
    • He always dismisses my concerns, even when I am (and everyone else can see) obviously right.
    • His medial eipcanthoplasty on my eyes were not successful. There is obvious scarring & leftover Mongolian fold that he failed to remove. I told him this & the answer I got back was that he did the best he could, he would not recommend a revision, and that considering how small my eyes were to begin with, he think the results are good improvement.
    • My eyes came undone too many times for me to be happy.
    • I asked for natural double eyelids, Instead he gave me hidden inner eyelids. You can barely see the folds when my eyes are opened.

Overall... words cannot describe how much stress this has given me over the years. So I am going to keep this simple. I tried to keep positive over the years, but now... I am just so frustrated. Ladies, I know a lot of you just lurk around this thread trying to gather as many information as possible, so that your surgery may turn out successful. My advice is, I don't recommend Dr. Choe. I have seen couple of girls on this thread who originally got their surgery done by him, who were later considering getting revision because they were not happy with their outcomes. If you happen to be someone who was completely satisfied with his results and your experience, by all means please feel free to refute me. Honestly he is a kind man and his assistants are nice as well, but it is not worth mediocre results, at least in my experience. Over the years I cannot seem to stress this point enough, but please go to Korea and find a refutable surgeon there.

In conclusion... Am I biased? Yea... by my own bad results. I am not stopping anyone from choosing him as a surgeon, though I urge you to do more research and consider other options, like going to Korea. I am not going to contact his office again regarding the right eye, because at this point I decided it's not worth going back to them. I will probably have to wait to go to Korea where I can do something about the medial epi & revisional crease.
  • c4sandersc4sanders Posts: 10Member, New Member
    Did you have any specifics when you went in? Like the size of the eyelid and or epi that you wanted?  I have already chosent to go with Dr. Choe.  I hope i i dont' regret it. Is there any way you could sent me before pictures? That is scary.  For having incisional done i'm surprised it's coming undone for you.... I wonder what happened. It sucks that he won't even get back to you about stuff like that.  I asked him about liability and he said he would cover for revisional if needed.... But there is not official documentation on it.  ...I hope he doesn't do the same to me. I thought he would be a good surgeon because of prior posts on here and also because  he has had years of experience!  Sigh...  Thanks for sharing though. 

BerryHot wrote on 20 April 2012 - 06:29 AM:

Dr. Eric Choe, Manhattan

I got my double eyelid surgery with Dr. Choe summer of 2008. Total price was $2000 for incisional double eyelid + $500 for medial epicanthoplasty.

1~2 weeks post-surgery
    *quoted image*
    Even right after surgery I could see that the creases were very uneven, and the inner-front of my left eye (right side in pic) was not stitched correctly.
    Dr. Choe's office dismissed my concern saying it was due to swelling.
    Also, I was not totally satisfied with the results of my medial epi, because there was still a vertical line going down towards the front of my eyes, and he did not open up the fold.

5 weeks post-surgery
    *quoted image*
    Swelling had considerably gone down, and it was still obvious there was something wrong with my left eye. However, again Dr. Choe's office dismissed my concern saying it was due to swelling. They did not acknowledge that the fold in my left eye was too loose.

1 year post-surgery
    (no picture, looks same as pic below)
    By this point all the swelling had gone down and it was so obvious that my left eye had come undone. Dr. had made the fold so small that it essentially became 'hidden' double eyelids. My 'after' eyes looked like somebody's 'before' eyes. I contacted the office, did not get a straight answer to whether they would perform a revision surgery on the left eye that lost its fold.

3 years post-surgery (summer 2011)

*quoted image*
    Left eye lost its fold.
    I contacted Dr. Choe again and he agreed to perform a partial revision on my left eye. The revision surgery was partial incision and he replaced three stitches in my left eye, making the fold stronger.

Funny enough, shortly after my revision surgery on my left eye, I could see the same thing happening to my right eye. However, Dr. Choe's office again dismissed my suspicions, saying I was probably comparing my right eye to my now-good-left eye.
    *quoted image*
    You can see there's something wrong with the right eye. It was especially prominent in the morning bc the fold was more apparent in the morning. Dr. Choe's office said it was probably due to sweling, and that what the crease looked like when the eyes were closed did not matter as long as they looked fine when opened. (??? I do not understand this reasoning, because the fold should look great even when partially opened!!)

4years post-surgery (current)
    *quoted image*
    My right coming undone. There is a strange bulge of skin fold where multiple lines seem to be forming.
    You can also see the scarring from my revision surgery on the left eye is still very noticeable. There are strange folds where he placed the three stitches, it almost looks like the cuts did not heal very nicely. There is also a slight pinching on the skin where the Dr. might have made the stitch too tight. Also the crease on each eye is noticeably different and uneven.

My problems with Dr. Choe:

• I can never seem to get through to him. His assistants always answer the emails and the phone calls, and if you have a question directly to Dr. Choe, you always have to go through his assistants first.
    • He always dismisses my concerns, even when I am (and everyone else can see) obviously right.
    • His medial eipcanthoplasty on my eyes were not successful. There is obvious scarring & leftover Mongolian fold that he failed to remove. I told him this & the answer I got back was that he did the best he could, he would not recommend a revision, and that considering how small my eyes were to begin with, he think the results are good improvement.
    • My eyes came undone too many times for me to be happy.
    • I asked for natural double eyelids, Instead he gave me hidden inner eyelids. You can barely see the folds when my eyes are opened.

Overall... words cannot describe how much stress this has given me over the years. So I am going to keep this simple. I tried to keep positive over the years, but now... I am just so frustrated. Ladies, I know a lot of you just lurk around this thread trying to gather as many information as possible, so that your surgery may turn out successful. My advice is, I don't recommend Dr. Choe. I have seen couple of girls on this thread who originally got their surgery done by him, who were later considering getting revision because they were not happy with their outcomes. If you happen to be someone who was completely satisfied with his results and your experience, by all means please feel free to refute me. Honestly he is a kind man and his assistants are nice as well, but it is not worth mediocre results, at least in my experience. Over the years I cannot seem to stress this point enough, but please go to Korea and find a refutable surgeon there.

In conclusion... Am I biased? Yea... by my own bad results. I am not stopping anyone from choosing him as a surgeon, though I urge you to do more research and consider other options, like going to Korea. I am not going to contact his office again regarding the right eye, because at this point I decided it's not worth going back to them. I will probably have to wait to go to Korea where I can do something about the medial epi & revisional crease.
  • someguy1981someguy1981 Posts: 8Member
    edited April 2012
    Is Dr. Kwon the best doctor for eyelid surgery and nose tip refinement in Seoul?
    Any negative experiences?
  • HeyyyHeyyy Posts: 807Member

ROOKIE

It's been yearsss since I posted anything but seeing Berryhot's post I will say Dr. Choe does seem to always make one eye a bit different.

I got my eyelids done 6+ years ago and they came out great. Honestly. I'm sorry to Berryhot that hers didn't come out so great and If I was you I would have barged into his office for a redo...okay maybe not barge but def let him know I wasn't happy because this is my FACE and if I'm getting anything done it should come out no less than perfect.

But as the years go by your eyelids will get smaller just because the "bloating" goes down. And the "bloating" isn't really the bloating we think about, like eating ramen right before you go to bed. It's more subtle.

My eyelids have def gotten a little smaller and my left eye is a bit smaller than my right. But also my right eye was slightly bigger than my left so that's why people get the corners cut so the length of the eye is even. You know like Ga-In from BEG has a long eyes.

Also I would have gotten an epi. No offense to Berry hot but I don't notice the epi at all. Epi really makes a difference from your eye looking half-moon shaped to a drooping half-moon shape when you smile.

All in all if I could redo my surgery I probably would have gotten the epi and ask for the crease to be higher. Or I would have gone to Korea. Honestly I am thinking about a redo because as you get older the eye muscle will weaken and I'm scared that my eyelids will droop over my eye and obscure my vision. But then on other days I'm like it's fine. I can live like this. Point is it's not perfect but acceptable.
  • momoko doll*momoko doll* Posts: 815Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited April 2012
    BerryHot wrote on 20 April 2012 - 10:29 AM:

Dr. Eric Choe, Manhattan

wow i'm sorry this happened to you :( the dr was clearly incompetent with your type of eyes. at least your eyes don't look bad, but clearly the epi didn't work or his procedures.
    i'm sure you can find a good revisionist in korea

lulunotlemon* wrote on 13 April 2012 - 09:58 PM:

Of course! But that's so far away from now hahaha :) I hope my eyes turn out as pretty as your's did! :$

Not sure if I asked you this but did you get your surgery at teuimps (can't spell)?

Thank you for the information! 500$ cash in Korea must be a lot to carry around! I'm from Canada so not sure if they will charge the same amount :S is it normal for patients to carry a bag full of money to pay for their surgery in Korea? LOOL Scared to get robbed!

And that's cute! :P if it's not too personal too ask, how much did your whole trip to Korea cost in total? :)

sorry for the late response, been caught up in work and nope... i got my surgery at Item tho I know most people here go for Teium.

i've never been pick pocketed but i understand your concern.. I usually bring out only portions of my cash at once and keep them in separate bags on the plane

my whole trip was around $1200 for round trip ticket, $350 for room, $750 for food and a little shopping (more went on the credit card tho..), $1500 for surgery. i spent roughly a total of $4000 including surgery, shopping, and everything.
  • lulunotlemon*lulunotlemon* ????? CanadaPosts: 2,324Member
    momoko doll* wrote on 20 April 2012 - 07:02 PM:

sorry for the late response, been caught up in work and nope... i got my surgery at Item tho I know most people here go for Teium.

i've never been pick pocketed but i understand your concern.. I usually bring out only portions of my cash at once and keep them in separate bags on the plane

my whole trip was around $1200 for round trip ticket, $350 for room, $750 for food and a little shopping (more went on the credit card tho..), $1500 for surgery. i spent roughly a total of $4000 including surgery, shopping, and everything.

Don't worry about it! :)

:P that's actually pretty alright! Do you have skype or something that I may contact you at? : D
    I ♥ TVXQ! . They are my life .
    [411]
    Can I ask what size bleph you got? I'm getting bleph and epi - and I don't know what to get for either....  Taking suggestions!!  Also, did you get the levator muscle fixed? I don't know if I should ask to get fat and or muscle removed either.  I don't want anything huge, i want my eyes to be larger and prettier as most people do.  Seems like 2.5 - 3 for epi is good.  But again, not sure. I want a medium crease but how many mm do I ask for then...  So many questions, i know!  Thanks in advanced... :)
    Heyyy wrote on 20 April 2012 - 01:44 PM:

It's been yearsss since I posted anything but seeing Berryhot's post I will say Dr. Choe does seem to always make one eye a bit different.

I got my eyelids done 6+ years ago and they came out great.  Honestly.  I'm sorry to Berryhot that hers didn't come out so great and If I was you I would have barged into his office for a redo...okay maybe not barge but def let him know I wasn't happy because this is my FACE and if I'm getting anything done it should come out no less than perfect.  

But as the years go by your eyelids will get smaller just because the "bloating" goes down.  And the "bloating" isn't really the bloating we think about, like eating ramen right before you go to bed.  It's more subtle.

My eyelids have def gotten a little smaller and my left eye is a bit smaller than my right.  But also my right eye was slightly bigger than my left so that's why people get the corners cut so the length of the eye is even.  You know like Ga-In from BEG has a long eyes.

Also I would have gotten an epi.  No offense to Berry hot but I don't notice the epi at all.  Epi really makes a difference from your eye looking half-moon shaped to a drooping half-moon shape when you smile.

All in all if I could redo my surgery I probably would have gotten the epi and ask for the crease to be higher.  Or I would have gone to Korea.  Honestly I am thinking about a redo because as you get older the eye muscle will weaken and I'm scared that my eyelids will droop over my eye and obscure my vision.  But then on other days I'm like it's fine.  I can live like this.  Point is it's not perfect but acceptable.
  • TonightxPTonightxP Posts: 2New Member
    I have got a question...

What should i eat for my meals if i get my eyelids done in korea?

Because i heard that one should avoid spicy food...
  • LilithLilith Posts: 95Member, New Member

IDOL

edited April 2012
    Hi everyone! 
    This is the first topic I've ever really made here on soompi~
    I lurked the double-eyelid surgery thread for a while but I decided to make this post so I can get into more specifics. 
    So I've decided to get double-eyelid surgery...

Here's a brief background:
    Well, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm Asian.
    I am currently 17-years-old, reaching the end of my junior year in high school.
    I live in OC, southern California--about an hour or two away from Los Angeles.

Ever since I was young, I wanted double eyelids even though my monolids aren't the worst and my eyes are still kind of round. 
    I still just want to enhance them further. 
    I've tried eyelid glue but I really didn't like how it felt on my eyes and I felt it will make my eyes sag in the long run. 

So now after all these years, I finally decided I'll get surgery (I'll probably get it around next year after I'm 18). At least I'm about 95% sure I will.
    Getting my parents' approval won't be difficult since my mom also got double-eyelid surgery herself.
    And for all those advocates of natural beauty out there, I understand your point of view but it's my own body and I simply want to improve my appearance just a little ^^

OK, now onto my real questions. 

Being that I live in southern California near L.A. and Beverly Hills, I'm aware there are quite a few double-eyelid surgery places available.
    I looked into a specific surgeon named Dr. Charles Lee. After looking at before-after pictures and watching testimonials, he seems like a good option. However his price is fairly expensive and I'm still not sure if there's a better alternative. 
    I've also heard good things about a surgeon named Dr. Choi who works in L.A. I believe(?). If anyone has had experience with either surgeon, please let me know. 

Aside from that, if you have gone to or know someone who has gone to a good surgeon for double-eyelid surgery that is in southern California, feel free to tell me -- in fact, please tell me! Including an address or website link would be really helpful as well!

Alright, thanks for reading this :] Let me know your opinions!

Hi, I don't live in cali or anything but from my research  going to Charles lee seems like a bad idea.  A lot of people say he does it only for money.  I've heard good things about Dr. choi for the most part, maybe one negative but I forget who posted it.  Recent posts have been about Kenneth Kim too but also i've heard that some people have pain with him during surgery. He seems pretty nice and competent but I don't know how good he is really... but I've been talking to a few girls who have gotten it done by him and they seem satisfied with their results... hope this helps!

lilith. wrote on 21 April 2012 - 12:20 PM:

Hi everyone! 
    This is the first topic I've ever really made here on soompi~
    I lurked the double-eyelid surgery thread for a while but I decided to make this post so I can get into more specifics.

Here's a brief background:
    Well, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm Asian.
    I am currently 17-years-old, reaching the end of my junior year in high school.
    I live in OC, southern California--about an hour or two away from Los Angeles.

Ever since I was young, I wanted double eyelids even though my monolids aren't the worst and my eyes are still kind of round. 
    I still just want to enhance them further. 
    I've tried eyelid glue but I really didn't like how it felt on my eyes and I felt it will make my eyes sag in the long run. 

So now after all these years, I finally decided I'll get surgery (I'll probably get it around next year after I'm 18). At least I'm about 95% sure I will.
    Getting my parents' approval won't be difficult since my mom also got double-eyelid surgery herself.
    And for all those advocates of natural beauty out there, I understand your point of view but it's my own body and I simply want to improve my appearance just a little ^^

OK, now onto my real questions. 

Being that I live in southern California near L.A. and Beverly Hills, I'm aware there are quite a few double-eyelid surgery places available.
    I looked into a specific surgeon named Dr. Charles Lee. After looking at before-after pictures and watching testimonials, he seems like a good option. However his price is fairly expensive and I'm still not sure if there's a better alternative. 
    I've also heard good things about a surgeon named Dr. Choi who works in L.A. I believe(?). If anyone has had experience with either surgeon, please let me know. 

Aside from that, if you have gone to or know someone who has gone to a good surgeon for double-eyelid surgery that is in southern California, feel free to tell me -- in fact, please tell me! Including an address or website link would be really helpful as well!

Alright, thanks for reading this :] Let me know your opinions!
  • LilithLilith Posts: 95Member, New Member

IDOL

edited April 2012
    ^Oh thanks for your input, I'll definitely do some more research on Kenneth Kim and Dr. Choi! 

If anyone else knows of some other good SoCal surgeons, please let me know! ^^

• HyeonMinHyeonMin Posts: 9Member

ROOKIE

I'm Korean and I'm going to Korea this summer to get my double eyelid surgery. 
    Does anyone know if I need to make an appointment before I go to Korea? Or can I make an appointment there and get it? I'm hoping to get it as soon as possible when I arrive to Korea, so that I can get it then be able to go out. I have a month and a half to spend there.
    Any famous plastic surgeons anyone could recommend? Thank you