Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Double Eyelid Surgery Thread

Replies

• asiangurl36asiangurl36 Posts: 7Member
    edited February 2012
    SammyCouture wrote on 26 January 2012 - 08:50 AM:

I got my eyes done last year in NYC with Dr. Jeffrey Ahn~~~ (biggest regret of my life.... *sulking*) and I'm going for a revision this summer~~ Unfortunately, it is going to be a hard surgery and I have to really hope I find a doctor who can mend these deep scars that he left ㅠ____ㅠ I'll keep everyone updated once I come back ^^ Soooooooooo nervous~

Hi, I also had the partial incision for my eyes done by Dr. Ahn in 2006.  I was happy with the results because I was younger then and was pushed by my mom to get the surgery.  So I asked for a small crease.  Now, I'm older and realize that the small crease does not fit my face well and would like to get a revision with possible epi because I feel like the layer of skin near my tear ducts hides the dark part of my eyes that makes them appear smaller.

Would going back to Dr. Ahn be a mistake?  Why were you dissatisfied with him?
    ·
    edited February 2012
    Hi everyone, i just started reading this site, I've gotten surgery before but should have done more research before I did.

My eyes I had done when I was younger and I went to Dr. Jeffrey Ahn.  At first, I was satisfied but when the swelling went down, my eyes seems to have gotten much smaller. It is kind of my fault because I asked for a smaller crease because I wanted it to look natural (I was younger)  I asked about a revision recently and he said he was willing and even offered a discount.  Is there anyone in New York who is more qualified to do eyelid revisions?  And I also want my eyes to look rounder and elongated, what kind of surgery would be best for that?

Also, if anyone has any stories they would like to share from their experiences with Dr. Ahn, please do so
    ·
  • SammyCoutureSammyCouture Posts: 554Member

ROOKIE

asiangurl36 wrote on 15 February 2012 - 04:13 AM:

Hi, I also had the partial incision for my eyes done by Dr. Ahn in 2006.  I was happy with the results because I was younger then and was pushed by my mom to get the surgery.  So I asked for a small crease.  Now, I'm older and realize that the small crease does not fit my face well and would like to get a revision with possible epi because I feel like the layer of skin near my tear ducts hides the dark part of my eyes that makes them appear smaller.

Would going back to Dr. Ahn be a mistake?  Why were you dissatisfied with him?

I can't really tell you what to do in regards to Dr. Ahn.... that's your personal choice. If you were happy with your results, then you should go back to him ^^ That's up to you~

Clumpy skin/crease
    eyeskeloidscarwk6.jpg

Scarring from epi.
    epi4.jpg

itrayyassuigeneriswinterbaby0
    ·
  • cstrikecstrike Posts: 17Member

ROOKIE

can u post a full face pic?

ur eyes look fine to me, I don't know why u want a revision...
    ·
  • VoagVoag Posts: 28Member
    GoPenny wrote on 07 February 2012 - 01:58 AM:

@Voag- I'm not sure if it's static or dynamic. How do you know without asking the doc? Whichever method commonly used to correct ptosis and revision is probably it... but now I'm curious. I guess I'll ask. What's the Korean terminology for S or D?

GoPenny,

I'm not Korean so I don't know the Korean term for it.  Static is when they suture your skin to your tarsal plate instead of the muscle.  Hope that helps.
    ·
  • _nika__nika_ Posts: 29Member
    SammyCouture your eyes look really good! And the fold is perfect. But I guess it might look different in person. The only thing is the epi scar but that's something we all have to deal w/. And maybe the shape of the line doesn't look consistent. The before picture looks really crazy...but it healed so well.
    ·

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    _nika_ wrote on 17 February 2012 - 12:06 AM:

SammyCouture your eyes look really good! And the fold is perfect. But I guess it might look different in person. The only thing is the epi scar but that's something we all have to deal w/. And maybe the shape of the line doesn't look consistent. The before picture looks really crazy...but it healed so well.

Scars are really bad :/ I definitely want to try and get them to restore some of the skin if possible :(  It stinks because when I put makeup on, it is so much more noticeable (with eye shadow or foundation) and it makes me sad because I loveeee makeup.

I think this photo might give you guys a better idea---

winterbaby0
    ·
    I want to make my eyes look rounder and bigger to look more alert and doll-like.  Would you guys recommend the lateral canthoplasty or epicanthoplasty? 
    ·

ROOKIE

asiangurl36 wrote on 17 February 2012 - 06:12 AM:

I want to make my eyes look rounder and bigger to look more alert and doll-like.  Would you guys recommend the lateral canthoplasty or epicanthoplasty? 

You have to ask the doctor. It all depends on your eyes ^^;; But yeah, for doll-like.. they will want to get rid of any mongolian fold and do lateral cantho... and maybe pull the ends down as well to give you the "moon" eyes

·
  • nailbunnynailbunny YARRR USPosts: 1,318Member

IDOL

Ok. I had 3 consultations today and I might see if I can wrangle another one, but I'm back at my hotel for now to rest (and because I thought I might have to have surgery today, so I didn't eat anything...well, I'm definitely not having surgery today, and I'm starving!)

Anyways, holy moly, confusion galore. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, but momoko doll is totally right, when you get one opinion that's very different, it can really throw you for a huge loop. It also didn't help that I completely mis-diagnosed my own eyes, so what I went in expecting was not that close to the doctor's recommendations. (I thought I had sorta fat lids with excess skin. Turns out I have very little fat and no excess skin either.) Also, whenever they were demonstrating folds, the air in the offices was so, so dry, I could never keep my eyes open without blinking for like more than 10 seconds. I kept apologizing because they'd make the fold, I'd try to hold it, but my eyes would start hurting and watering and -BLINK- I messed up the fold again.

OZ clinic
    I know OZ doesn't have the best reputation, but I went for the consult since the girl I'm rooming with was definitely getting her surgery there. I thought Dr. Park was really nice and his English is very good. I believe he recommended me incisional + medial epi when I e-mailed him before. Seeing me in person, he changed and said I did not need the epi, but I could get it if I wanted.

Complications: he warned me (specifically said, "I am warning you ahead of time") that because I have very little fat in my eyelids, down the line, I run the risk of developing multiple folds in my eyelid (like a triple eyelid).

Price: motherf....I can't remember. I think it was between 1.46-1.65m won.

Teuim
    I went to Korea with a major, major bias towards teuim and Dr. Kwon. This visit, however, is the one that totally threw me for a loop. Dr. Kwon analyzed my eyes for a while, and ultimately suggested 3 procedures: non-incisional (wtf??), epi (~1mm), and fat graft above my eyes. They also called in Dr. Kim because as soon as I heard non-incisional, I had like a hundred questions. Dr. Kim told me I had the ideal eyes for non-incisional surgery. I asked them, can I achieve my ideal eyes with non-incisional vs. incisional, will the crease be as defined as incisional method, and isn't the chance of fading or coming undone significant for non-incisional? They, of course, insisted that yes, I could get the look I wanted, the crease will be defined, and Dr. Kim stressed that it would be "permanent" (wat).

Dr. Kwon also said the fat graft was necessary (more on this later - I assumed this was to deal with the problem Dr. Park mentioned, except Dr. park didn't mention any preventative measures, just warned me about it). The epi is NOT necessary, but he said I would only be able to achieve an in-fold without the epi, and both he and I actually agreed that the in-out fold (he actually suggested an in-out fold that is very slightly out) looked the best. This was one aspect I wasn't able to determine before I got to Korea (in vs. out)...so hearing this didn't help much. I kept asking about incisional vs. non-incisional, so Dr. Kwon said if I wanted, I could get incisional, but it was really obvious that neither he nor Dr. Kim recommended it (Dr. Kim gave me a nice spiel about how incisional is fine, it's very common, but HERE ARE ALL THE DOWNSIDES. And here is why your eyes should get non-incisional.)

They said if I wanted to do it today (original plan, if Dr. Kwon and I agreed on eyes/procedures/etc...this was when I thought I needed incisional + skin excision :(), I had to literally do it right then -- Dr. Kwon was booked the rest of the afternoon. I asked them to give me like 15 minutes to think about it, and ultimately decided that the procedures were so different from what I was expecting, I didn't feel comfortable going through with it (um, plus, I didn't have enough cash). I need to let them know ASAP for the 20th though if I decide to go with Teuim.

Price: 2.8m won...higher than I was planning for since I thought I would just be getting incisional, with optional epi.

CJ Cosmetic
    I went here since the clinic sounded very trustworthy from the posts here on soompi...plus the e-mail communication I had with Dr. Lee was very clear and helpful. I agree that he seems very academic, and really smart. He told me I had nice eyes, big and the proper distance apart. He suggested incisional + internal epi. The difference he stressed was, do not cut the bottom corner of your eyes. Like ssuigeneris had said, he is very strong about maintaining your "ethnic identity" and said getting rid of the fold gets rid of some of your ethnic looks (really, in principal, I agree with him). Plus, he said I already had enough exposed caruncle (and the distance thing). If you can imagine your eyes as a box, the epi he suggested would not open up the bottom inner corner, but the top inner corner (I know, in actual eyes, it's not actually a corner, it's your eyelid. It's the clearest way I can think to explain it though. I never understood what other people meant when they described it before). He also said since I had very little fat above my eyes, he would actually remove a small amount of muscle/tissue from lower area (so, the area below the fold of a double eyelid). Removing muscle scares the crap out of me, to be honest.

I did ask him about complications since my eyelids are apparently so non-fatty. He acknowledged that the development of multiple folds was a definite risk, but he said he thought the risk would be "very, very low". I also asked him if he thought a fat graft was necessary, and he said, "if years down the line, you develop the triple eyelid, then we can do the fat graft then. But not now." I said I would rather not have to get a surgery with the knowledge I need to redo, and he said that the risk of developing the multiple folds was very small, but that fat graft itself is unpredictable. Like you don't know exactly how the fat will distribute, the eyelid skin is a lot thinner than elsewhere, so it's easier to mess up, and that if it "clumped" (he said another word here I didn't quite catch), it would be very unsightly. Also said non-incisional was ok, but he suggests incisional. I have to let him know yes or no in...2 hrs, otherwise he doesn't think I have enough time before I leave.

Price: said these were very simple procedures and gave me a quote in USD - $1500

Now that I am sufficiently confused and seriously thinking of extending my trip, I am going to go do more research. :( If anyone wants to chime in, please do.
    ·
  • ohwhatohwhat Posts: 1New Member
    Sammy, i think your eyes are beautiful.  and  in my opinion, your eyes healed so well this time compared to the previous time. from the picture i can't really notice the scar, but i'm sure whatever scar you have will fade w/ time.  :)
    ·

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    ohwhat wrote on 17 February 2012 - 09:52 PM:

Sammy, i think your eyes are beautiful.  and  in my opinion, your eyes healed so well this time compared to the previous time. from the picture i can't really notice the scar, but i'm sure whatever scar you have will fade w/ time.  :)

What do you mean this time compared to the previous time? I didn't get a revision yet..
    Here are some more photos---- hopefully you can see the scars in these photos..

My scars are both white and red..  :tears::tears:

Anyway! I just want to give people a heads up---- (those of you who are deciding whether or not to do it in NYC~):sweatingbullets:

·
  • haneystarhaneystar Posts: 8Member
    Sorry to hear about your case, Sammycouture! Have you tried using scar removal gel for the epi scars? I used to have reddish brown scars on my legs & I used Vit E to lighten it. Now it's almost invisible.

As for the clump on the lids, are they very obvious even when your non-make up eyes are relaxed? Because in your previous post, the clumps are only more visible when you intentionally look down. I'm just thinking if it's really necessary for you to go through a revision because your eyes actually look good besides the epi scars.
    ·

ROOKIE

haneystar wrote on 18 February 2012 - 05:36 AM:

Sorry to hear about your case, Sammycouture! Have you tried using scar removal gel for the epi scars? I used to have reddish brown scars on my legs & I used Vit E to lighten it. Now it's almost invisible.

As for the clump on the lids, are they very obvious even when your non-make up eyes are relaxed? Because in your previous post, the clumps are only more visible when you intentionally look down. I'm just thinking if it's really necessary for you to go through a revision because your eyes actually look good besides the epi scars.

Thanks for the tip. Which gel did you use? Just regular Vitamin E?? ^^

They are obvious whenever I don't look straight up and obviously when I blink~ The crease, I can live with. but I hope they can fix my epi. Not just the scars, but I want a restoration. ^_^ I found some doctors who perform these surgeries well so I'm very very very relieved~ hehe :o) I was depressed this past year because of the epi *sigh* but I now have hope! yayyy

·
  • haneystarhaneystar Posts: 8Member
    I just used regular Vit E cream and applied it religiously every night! It's very moisturising though, so avoid the area below your eyes to prevent milia seeds!

:) Wow ok glad you found a suitable surgeon for your revision, best of luck! I'm still undecided on which clinic to go for since cost is also one of my concern. First surgery for me.
    ·
  • _nika__nika_ Posts: 29Member
    nailbunny wrote on 16 February 2012 - 10:44 PM:

OZ clinic
    I know OZ doesn't have the best reputation, but I went for the consult since the girl I'm rooming with was definitely getting her surgery there. I thought Dr. Park was really nice and his English is very good. I believe he recommended me incisional + medial epi when I e-mailed him before. Seeing me in person, he changed and said I did not need the epi, but I could get it if I wanted.

Complications: he warned me (specifically said, "I am warning you ahead of time") that because I have very little fat in my eyelids, down the line, I run the risk of developing multiple folds in my eyelid (like a triple eyelid).

Price: motherf....I can't remember. I think it was between 1.46-1.65m won.

Teuim
    I went to Korea with a major, major bias towards teuim and Dr. Kwon. This visit, however, is the one that totally threw me for a loop. Dr. Kwon analyzed my eyes for a while, and ultimately suggested 3 procedures: non-incisional (wtf??), epi (~1mm), and fat graft above my eyes. They also called in Dr. Kim because as soon as I heard non-incisional, I had like a hundred questions. Dr. Kim told me I had the ideal eyes for non-incisional surgery. I asked them, can I achieve my ideal eyes with non-incisional vs. incisional, will the crease be as defined as incisional method, and isn't the chance of fading or coming undone significant for non-incisional? They, of course, insisted that yes, I could get the look I wanted, the crease will be defined, and Dr. Kim stressed that it would be "permanent" (wat).

Dr. Kwon also said the fat graft was necessary (more on this later - I assumed this was to deal with the problem Dr. Park mentioned, except Dr. park didn't mention any preventative measures, just warned me about it). The epi is NOT necessary, but he said I would only be able to achieve an in-fold without the epi, and both he and I actually agreed that the in-out fold (he actually suggested an in-out fold that is very slightly out) looked the best. This was one aspect I wasn't able to determine before I got to Korea (in vs. out)...so hearing this didn't help much. I kept asking about incisional vs. non-incisional, so Dr. Kwon said if I wanted, I could get incisional, but it was really obvious that neither he nor Dr. Kim recommended it (Dr. Kim gave me a nice spiel about how incisional is fine, it's very common, but HERE ARE ALL THE DOWNSIDES. And here is why your eyes should get non-incisional.)

They said if I wanted to do it today (original plan, if Dr. Kwon and I agreed on eyes/procedures/etc...this was when I thought I needed incisional + skin excision :(), I had to literally do it right then -- Dr. Kwon was booked the rest of the afternoon. I asked them to give me like 15 minutes to think about it, and ultimately decided that the procedures were so different from what I was expecting, I didn't feel comfortable going through with it (um, plus, I didn't have enough cash). I need to let them know ASAP for the 20th though if I decide to go with Teuim.

Price: 2.8m won...higher than I was planning for since I thought I would just be getting incisional, with optional epi.

CJ Cosmetic
    I went here since the clinic sounded very trustworthy from the posts here on soompi...plus the e-mail communication I had with Dr. Lee was very clear and helpful. I agree that he seems very academic, and really smart. He told me I had nice eyes, big and the proper distance apart. He suggested incisional + internal epi. The difference he stressed was, do not cut the bottom corner of your eyes. Like ssuigeneris had said, he is very strong about maintaining your "ethnic identity" and said getting rid of the fold gets rid of some of your ethnic looks (really, in principal, I agree with him). Plus, he said I already had enough exposed caruncle (and the distance thing). If you can imagine your eyes as a box, the epi he suggested would not open up the bottom inner corner, but the top inner corner (I know, in actual eyes, it's not actually a corner, it's your eyelid. It's the clearest way I can think to explain it though. I never understood what other people meant when they described it before). He also said since I had very little fat above my eyes, he would actually remove a small amount of muscle/tissue from lower area (so, the area below the fold of a double eyelid). Removing muscle scares the crap out of me, to be honest.

I did ask him about complications since my eyelids are apparently so non-fatty. He acknowledged that the development of multiple folds was a definite risk, but he said he thought the risk would be "very, very low". I also asked him if he thought a fat graft was necessary, and he said, "if years down the line, you develop the triple eyelid, then we can do the fat graft then. But not now." I said I would rather not have to get a surgery with the knowledge I need to redo, and he said that the risk of developing the multiple folds was very small, but that fat graft itself is unpredictable. Like you don't know exactly how the fat will distribute, the eyelid skin is a lot thinner than elsewhere, so it's easier to mess up, and that if it "clumped" (he said another word here I didn't quite catch), it would be very unsightly. Also said non-incisional was ok, but he suggests incisional. I have to let him know yes or no in...2 hrs, otherwise he doesn't think I have enough time before I leave.

Price: said these were very simple procedures and gave me a quote in USD - $1500

Now that I am sufficiently confused and seriously thinking of extending my trip, I am going to go do more research. :( If anyone wants to chime in, please do.

CJ Cosmetics sounds good. OZ has such a bad rep I wouldn't wanna ever go there either.  The surgeons at Teium sounds a little off to me. Especially about how they don't recommend incisional. Sometimes (not always) surgeons don't recommend certain procedures because they don't have the skills to do it! If performed correctly, incision is more long lasting and you get more of your money's worth. Plus the scar really is not that bad at all! I'm no doctor but if someone already has little fat...then why a fat graft?! To prevent a triple lid? What if something w/ the fat graft went wrong..then you're just going to have to have fat infected in you. Like CJ Cosmetics said, it's probably only necessary when and if you develop a triple lid. 
    ·
  • Roatan_sandsRoatan_sands Posts: 5Member, New Member
    edited February 2012
    cstrike wrote on 12 February 2012 - 02:15 AM:

I am glad surgery worked out for you.

Would u mind sharing with us more details of your surgery? Like where you got it from, etc

I went to Dr. Kun Kim in Atlanta.  I think he is a good surgeron, but not the warmest or most personable dr.  I had natural, but uneven double eyelids before.   I got partial incisions to even out the eyes and make them bigger.

hotsauce1234 wrote on 12 February 2012 - 04:54 AM:

Wow 2 months...? I guess the gel really helped out a lot ! Could you please tell us which silicone scar gel are you using ? It would be greatly appreciated. 

I've been using Kelo-cote silicone scar gel.
    ·
  • ::jaeboo::<3::jaeboo::<3 Posts: 11Member
    edited February 2012
    ::jaeboo::<3 wrote on 11 February 2011 - 09:55 AM:

I recently did my surgery at IVE Clinic located at Apgujeong. I don't really remember which incision I did but I took out fats and did epicanthoplasty. The whole surgery cost me about 1.5k USD.

This is me before with make up (eyeliner, eyelid glue, lashes and lens):
    BEFORE

And this is after 3 weeks with make up (eyeliner and lens) :
    AFTER
    *You can still see the scar at the inner corners. Besides that my left eyelid is quite visibly less deep set compared to the right one...not really bothering me much but I'll consult the surgeon when I go back in a March for a follow up. :)
    *quoted image**quoted image*

I'm sorry I can't show you guys the picture right after the surgery...I didn't bring my camera with me during the trip. I don't know if it's because I have a high pain tolerance or what but I practically felt nothing throughout the whole thing. The only thing I felt was the pressure when the doctor took out the fats from my lids, the pain wasn't major though. My eyes didn't swell much, not much tightness and if I didn't close my eyes, the bruises can barely be seen. Stitches were out after 5 days and by then the swelling went down to practically nothing. I do recommend my doctor to those who are interested in doing it and questions are welcome. :D

1 year after surgery follow up photo! haha.

with makeup and lens:
    img6358xc.jpg
    4upon12216at746compiled.jpg

without:
    img6341q.jpg

PS: Oh and of course questions are most welcome for those interested in having their surgery done in Korea. I'm currently residing in Seoul so I might be of some help. ^^
    SammyCoutureKoreaDarlingBerryHot
    ·

ROOKIE

::jaeboo::<3 wrote on 19 February 2012 - 08:44 AM:

1 year after surgery follow up photo! haha.

with makeup and lens:
    *quoted image*
    *quoted image*

without:
    *quoted image*

PS: Oh and of course questions are most welcome for those interested in having their surgery done in Korea. I'm currently residing in Seoul so I might be of some help. ^^

I really like your lenses, what kind are they?? (style/color) Thank you ^^;;
    Also~ How long will you be in Korea?

·
  • hotsauce1234hotsauce1234 Posts: 8Member
    SammyCouture wrote on 17 February 2012 - 10:11 PM:

Thanks for the tip. Which gel did you use? Just regular Vitamin E?? ^^

They are obvious whenever I don't look straight up and obviously when I blink~ The crease, I can live with. but I hope they can fix my epi. Not just the scars, but I want a restoration. ^_^ I found some doctors who perform these surgeries well so I'm very very very relieved~ hehe :o) I was depressed this past year because of the epi *sigh* but I now have hope! yayyy

I read on the internet and from previous posts on this forum Vitamin E is no good for scars it may actually slow down the healing process of the scar ! 
    ·