Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are cold sores and herpes the same thing? is it STD?

matango88matango88 CaliforniaPosts: 2,090Member
I never had cold sores but I heard it's the same as herpes except it's around the mouth

I heard it can be spread just by kissing a person with a cold sore?

Replies

• sasuke-kunsasuke-kun Posts: 385Member
    edited February 2006
    cold sores is a symptom of having herpes... but its a different type of herpes than the STD herpes... the cold sore herpes is herpes simplex virus 1 while the genital herpes is herpes simplex virus 2... you can transmit it by kissing if they have a cold sore and the other person has a wound... but its okay, about 80% of the population in the US has it... its just that its dormant in most people and never comes out after the initial infection... you probably got it when you were a kid... you dont have to produce the cold sores when you first get infected, it could simply be a cough or small fever...
  • krnxpr0krnxpr0 earthPosts: 314Member
    ya its herpes but oral herpes
  • matango88matango88 CaliforniaPosts: 2,090Member
    QUOTE(krnxpr0 @ Feb 23 2006, 12:14 PM) »

ya its herpes but oral herpes

I also heard herpes is not curable?

thats why you should be very careful who you kiss, anybody that has been kissed by a lot of other partners probably has herpes. image
  • wingz_of_lightwingz_of_light Posts: 212Member
    i really don't think cold sores are the same as herpes. cuz... my friend's retarded brother got some sores on his lip, and his mom took him to the doctor, and then the doctor apparently looked really weirded out and told them he had herpes o_O. apparently he got it from his down's syndrome girlfriend =_=;;.
  • matango88matango88 CaliforniaPosts: 2,090Member
    you can also get it from sharing drinks with an infected person by drinking from the same glass or straw, or eating from the same fork / spoon.

• stixstix Posts: 387Member
    its not a same thing but its similar..
    herpes comes from cold sores..
  • EXQU1S1TEEXQU1S1TE igaragarago! FloridaaaaPosts: 2,737Member
    It's like having a cold. You're not gunna die or it's never gunna go away. It's only temporary and ppl do usually get it when they're sick. I only get it when I'm dehydrated or have a really high fever. But it's true that it's contagious just like colds are contagious too.
  • MONICAMONICA Posts: 1,996Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2006
    QUOTE(stix @ Feb 23 2006, 03:34 PM) »

its not a same thing but its similar..
    herpes comes from cold sores..

no, cold sores come from herpes. and it is basically the same thing. cold sores are the outbreak form of herpes.

you can't cure it.

you can get herpes if you get into direct and indirect contact with an infected person even if the person isnt having an outbreak.

make sure if you have an outbreak you dont rub your eyes or your genital areas after touching your cold sore because you can get ocular herpes [which can lead to blindness and death] and genital herpes for the latter.

don't touch the infection. and ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS.
    IPB Image
  • deportedkoreandeportedkorean Kelie C. Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 4,528Friend of Soompi

IDOL

the actual sore goes away in time, but you'll always have the virus (so you'll get the sore again occasionally)...some people say that their's flames up when they're stressed or some sort of weather change (heh), but those are some of the reasons why it can flare up (that is, if you have the virus).
    instagram: chomamaa
  • Wonderful_KimchiWonderful_Kimchi <3 Posts: 524Friend of Soompi
    edited February 2006
    THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF HERPES BESIDES THE SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED HERPES.

Herpes is basically like a rash, an outbreak of small sores. Genital herpes cannot be cured. And even when the outbreaks are not visible, that doesn't mean that it has all of a sudden gone away. You'll always have it.

Like someone up there had said, cold sores and rashes are basically a form of herpes, but they are a Herpes Simplex Virus 1 type. These can be cured with just a simple use of ointment. Herpes Simplex Virus 2 cannot be cured (well, not at this moment). They can be treated, but they cannot be cured!

You can get herpes around your mouth, yes, usually from engaging in oral sex. But cold sores are NOT the kind of herpes that you should freak out about.

Sometimes, yes, if you have any sort of open wound on or around your mouth, you could catch herpes. Actually, I remember my friend (who wrestles) rubbed his arm against someone's face during a match and he got a small rash/outbreak of herpes on his arm. So actually, sometimes, cold sores can be contagious if you touch it. It all depends on the severity.

So a rash or cold sore is considered herpes, but it differs from the herpes which is sexually transmitted.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 40Member
    i feel like adding here that a lot of people use canker sores and cold sores interchangeably but they're not the same thing. cold sores come from the same herpes virus thing while canker sores is like...an ulcer inside of your mouth
  • H1PP0H1PP0 soompi Posts: 1,550Friend of Soompi
    watthe. herpes is a sexually transmitted disease.
    cold sores are... NOT.
    hello there. ;]

music
  • vanggirlievanggirlie USAPosts: 3,227Friend of Soompi
    i know this girl that got cold sore that turned into herpes after she used her friends chapstick. so be careful.
  • eumsungeumsung MelbournePosts: 3,057Member

ROOKIE

yeh all of the detailed explanations above.. i learnt all about it in biology this year. it's a viral disease, derived from herpes, non curable and occurs badly in times of stress.. i was wondering... are those cold sore creams filled with antibodies or phagocytes to get rid of the already produced cold sore quicker like some induced passive immune thingo? or is it something else?
    to live your dream is to truly live
    When you're confused, just ask yourself. What do you believe in? What do you love? What do you hope for?
    Lydia's cyworld
    eumsung's 411
  • jenniifer xOxjenniifer xOx n-villePosts: 1,098Member
    haha these kinda topics scare me
  • lingazlingaz melbourne , australiaPosts: 1,368Member
    cold sores are viruses

♡tokidoki♡monchichi♡chloe♡stila

ROOKIE

edited February 2006
    QUOTE(Wonderful_Kimchi @ Feb 24 2006, 01:26 PM) »

THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF HERPES BESIDES THE SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED HERPES.
    Herpes is basically like a rash, an outbreak of small sores. Genital herpes cannot be cured. And even when the outbreaks are not visible, that doesn't mean that it has all of a sudden gone away. You'll always have it.

Like someone up there had said, cold sores and rashes are basically a form of herpes, but they are a Herpes Simplex Virus 1 type. These can be cured with just a simple use of ointment. Herpes Simplex Virus 2 cannot be cured (well, not at this moment). They can be treated, but they cannot be cured!

You can get herpes around your mouth, yes, usually from engaging in oral sex. But cold sores are NOT the kind of herpes that you should freak out about.

Sometimes, yes, if you have any sort of open wound on or around your mouth, you could catch herpes. Actually, I remember my friend (who wrestles) rubbed his arm against someone's face during a match and he got a small rash/outbreak of herpes on his arm. So actually, sometimes, cold sores can be contagious if you touch it. It all depends on the severity.

So a rash or cold sore is considered herpes, but it differs from the herpes which is sexually transmitted.

any types of herpes can't be cured. just because you get rid of the cold sore doesnt mean you get rid of the virus that's in you. you still have the virus, therefore you're not cured yet.

and oral herpes [type1] is not usually from oral sex. it's usually from kissing, sharing drinks, etc. basically, anything besides sexual activity. a lot of people get them from their parents when they were younger who got kisses and stuff[not in the molesting way]

cold sores should not be taken lightly. technically, people with oral herpes shouldn't be giving oral sex to someone else, but chances are that the person won't get genital herpes since you're not like rubbing your lips all over their genitals. if you have an outbreak...well that's another story.

cold sore IS herpes, and it's not different from the STD. it's just where you have it that makes the types different. when you have genital herpes, you're getting a coldsore in that area. herpes is generally categorized by anything below your waist is type 2 and anything above your waist is type 1. it's the same thing just where it is that makes it the different types.

oh yea and the thing about cold sores not being an STD. well it is an STD because if you give oral sex, then what's that make of it? an std.
    IPB Image
  • Juli~&amp;lt;3Juli~&lt;3 SaturnPosts: 8,097Member

IDOL

yea. but u can get it through stress as well as like mouth to mouth.

ROOKIE

QUOTE(Juli~<3 @ Feb 25 2006, 09:42 AM) »

yea. but u can get it through stress as well as like mouth to mouth.

yea but it still is an std. isnt hiv a std? well you can get it through genetics, sharing needles, rubbing wounds together, etc.
    IPB Image
  • graceyoongraceyoon Posts: 3,329Friend of Soompi

IDOL

QUOTE(MONICA @ Feb 25 2006, 10:36 AM) »

oh yea and the thing about cold sores not being an STD. well it is an STD because if you give oral sex, then what's that make of it? an std.

hmm but i don't think if u have cold sore (herpes 1virus) and give oral sex that will become herpes2(which arises from sex) i think if u have cold sores u can spread it by kissing, sharing lipblam etc but is apart from herpes 2 (genital herpes)
    deerdrama