Thrifting?

Guest paintyourxtarget

Guest paintyourxtarget

Anyone here shop at thrift stores? Find anything amazing? DIY'd anything from thrift store finds?

I just started visiting local thrift stores a couple months ago, and I can't believe I never did before :). I live in a decent area, so most of the thrifted clothes are from nordstroms and macy's, vs. random generic brands. Although like 95% of the stuff I look at is random baggy older women's apparel, the few things I do find make it worth it. I just found an Elie Saab belt for $3--I guess the person who wrote the prices doesn't know brands!

Guest breathless.

I'm a thrift addict. Every day I think I wear at least one thing that is thrifted. Love it!

DIY? I've taken jean jackets and cut off the sleeves to make vests, graphic T's into sleeveless tops, ill-fitting colored jeans into high-waisted shorts--i.e nothing too fancy because I have no idea how to sew. Just me hacking away with scissors, lol.

I'm going to have to edit later with pictures of my favorite finds! :lol:

I stopped by my local goodwill today. I saw 3 Louis Vuittons(possibly authentic, but not 100% sure) and 1 gucci (not sure if that was real). The LV's ranged from 25-35 each. The one LV was a tote and attached to it was a wallet. The LV's were in relatively okay condition. The tote, was the only thing I was interested in. It's straps needed major repair and the inside was stained badly.

these are the backpacks I saw, not taken by me.

300.JPG

I bought myself a large "muhlberry alexa" in tan. =D It was fake of course, but never the less so cute! =D

I also bought a blue lamp-stand, so cute and not even chipped. I got that for like $3. I bought a lampshade for like $2. The lampshade doesn't seem to fit with the lamp-stand >_<

I'll be back with pictures =D

yup! i love thrifting!!!! most of the times, I do my chiffon tops, button shirts, t-shirts, and sometimes shoes if I find it in good condition, accessories, etc.... I mean at retail stores, chiffon tops range 12 and up. Might as well get it at the thrift stores. I got them for 0.99~3.99. :D I don't normally get pants or jeans from thrift shops. However, I did bought two bottoms for my record. They're adorable actually . I'd been trying to get a pair of jeans for a diy cut/destroyed jean shorts, but haven't gotten the chance at all.

Guest paintyourxtarget

I'd been trying to get a pair of jeans for a diy cut/destroyed jean shorts, but haven't gotten the chance at all.

one of the thrift stores I go to has some ugly bell-bottom jeans for $1--I bought a couple and I'm now trying to DIY them into shorts :). if you want to fray them, what I do is cut them a couple inches longer than where I want them, then I make some 1" vertical slits; you can use your fingers or tweezers to pull out the white fibers (in jeans, the white thread is horizontal and the blue is vertical). I heard you can use a cheese grater too lol.

one of the thrift stores I go to has some ugly bell-bottom jeans for $1--I bought a couple and I'm now trying to DIY them into shorts :). if you want to fray them, what I do is cut them a couple inches longer than where I want them, then I make some 1" vertical slits; you can use your fingers or tweezers to pull out the white fibers (in jeans, the white thread is horizontal and the blue is vertical). I heard you can use a cheese grater too lol.

Oh my God. Thanks so much for the advice. I will try that soon!!!!

One of the most interesting forms of retail out there definitely! I love finding random toy cameras for cheap, cute decoratives, clothes, just random finds!

I've found quite a lot of cute stuff. But I'm most proud find was a Chanel cut out top. In my size. Good condition. Was sooo happy.

i went thrifting at a local goodwill nearby my house before sometimes after i get out of work. the prices are considered to be reasonable and the qualities are great sometimes, depend on what you pick out. i bought myself 2 pairs of high waisted denims for under $5 each and DIY them into high waisted shorts, i absolutely cannot wait to go thrift shopping some more soon ^____^

• 4 weeks later...
Guest meowrie

So much of my closet is thrifted stuff c: huge sweaters, DIYed high waisted shorts, etc. I even made a detachable collar c: thrift stores are life.

Guest agentdevil5656

Since 2011 I moved to a new place, I have yet to find a goodwill, rgh. I have to drive 30-40 minutes to my old place for goodwill. I found some nice old polaroid cameras and repair them for resale. I buy a lot of jeans then crop them to shorts (much cheaper compared to retail). I bought a couple lightly worn jackets and fix them up a bit. 

Guest Malice_Kaiser

I looove thrifting. I shop at Goodwill pretty frequently. Some days I don't find anything, some days I find some awesome things. I haven't done any DIY yet, but I've got a handful of clothes items that I wear that I got from thrifting. I just bought a few t-shirts from there though which I plan on doing some DIY projects on! I'll post those later :D

Guest ryoka

Who doesn't love thrifting unless you have money to blows.  You never know what you will find at a thrift store, it's full of treasure!  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ttrin

for the most part, i LOVE thrifting.

it's a treasure hunt def, and unless you have patience there's no point in going.

i've diy'ed SOOO many dresses in order to make them wearable/cute (cough less-dated).

p.s and salvation army>goodwill

thrifting is so much fun, i never usually find anything good tho.i went thrift shopping a few days ago with my mom, and found 3 amazing pieces, although im dissapointed that one item i got was 25 dollars and i didnt realize it:/ would never have paid so much for a second hand day dress :s
I will be posting about it on my blog in a few days and then  will update here so u guys can check it out :)

Guest agentdevil5656

Today I drove about 2 hrs south and found a huge Goodwill. I found two leather jackets and a jean jacket. Then I found some long chain necklaces that I can turn into bracelets or shorten them to other stuff. The total for me came out to be $11!  
I think I'll give one of the leathers to my friend and then stud one. I also want to bleach the jean jacket. 

Guest agentdevil5656

Today I drove about 2 hrs south and found a huge Goodwill. I found two leather jackets and a jean jacket. Then I found some long chain necklaces that I can turn into bracelets or shorten them to other stuff. The total for me came out to be $11!  

I think I'll give one of the leathers to my friend and then stud one. I also want to bleach the jean jacket. 

Guest zer0mg

Two years ago I told my mom I wanted to go check out the thrift store, and she totally freaked out. She said it was dirty and disgusting and couldn't understand why I would want to shop in a secondhand place. Then she brought me to Ross and told me that was the closest I was ever going to get.

I do wish I could try thrifting one day though, just to see what it's like and what I could find. The alteration side of DIY fashion doesn't really appeal to me, but maybe there will be something inspiring.

Now I have some questions for you thrifters out there:

1. How often do you shop at a thrift store?
2. Do you go there alone? With other people?
3. What are the conditions of that thrift store? (i.e. Are the merchandise low-quality/high-quality? Is the store in general tidy/organized?)
4. What kind of stuff do you look for? (e.g. clothes, shoes, housewares, etc.)
5. Do you clean your purchases? With more precaution than you do with newer goods?
6. How much time do you usually spend at the store during one trip?
7. How much money do you usually spend during one trip?
8. What do other people around you think when you tell them you go thrifting?

Feel free to answer all the questions, a few, or none at all. I just ask out of curiosity. ヽ(・∀・ )ノ

Archived