Racist night excursions

Mannosuke

So the other day my friend was walking down the street at night and he saw a black dude up ahead with a sleeveless vest, black bandanna, and bbq grills.

He immediately cautioned himself and was prepared for any confrontations with the dude.

Is my friend racist?

If it was a white guy I'm sure he wouldn't have reacted like that.

Guest Kerriganton

Everyone stereotypes   

No way around it unless they have some kind of mental condition.  So is he racist?

As racist as a guy cowering when he sees a bear.

Guest Kerriganton

Stereotyping does not make you racist.

Especially when you're up against a bear.

It is racist when black is involved.

You just answered you own question.

Guest Kerriganton

So you're saying he was only stereotyping a black dude to be a violent murdering thug that's out to mug him of 3 dollars and 24 cents and not being a racist prick?

As racist as a guy cowering when he sees a bear. (Implying just because it is a bear, it is going to attack him)

Is he racist sure depending on how you look at it. Heck I considered someone a racist if they ask what race someone is.  Everyone is racist and stereotypical.

As racist as a guy cowering when he sees a bear. (Implying just because it is a bear, it is going to attack him)

It is only racism when a human is involved.

Because racism applies only to the human race.

Everyone is racist and stereotypical.

No, not everyone is racist.

Please don't group everyone with yourself to justify your own racist thoughts.

Guest Kerriganton

It is only racism when a human is involved.

Because racism applies only to the human race.

No, not everyone is racist.

Please don't group everyone with yourself to justify your own racist thoughts.

1. lol ok. I am pretty sure I would be scared and go with extreme caution if I see someone up ahead with a gun.. I probably would be racist to Humans to.

2. Everyone is a lil bit racist.. Just some more so than others.

So the other day my friend was walking down the street at night and he saw a black dude up ahead with a sleeveless vest, black bandanna, and bbq grills.

He immediately cautioned himself and was prepared for any confrontations with the dude.

Is my friend racist?

your friend is just dumb

white people are scarier

they're more likely to cause confrontations than blacks because they can get away with it

Guest HERMIT

Is my friend racist?

No, I don't think he's racist.  I think your friend was just being justifiably cautious.

And I don't think race has anything to do with it anyway.

I mean, look at the way he was dressed as you have described.

Certainly a guy walking around late at night without even so much as a pair of pants, underwear, and shoes (to go with the vest, bandana, and grills) would have to merit some kind of scrutiny.

I know I'd certainly do a double take - much like the one in my signature.

Guest itrayya

^ agree.

i think everyone has the right to fear for their safety.

in general when you're walking down the street at night, you should be aware.

Guest paintyourxtarget

As a female, I would definitely be scared walking at night by myself where the only other person around was wearing grills--regardless of race. I stereotype the hell out of anyone who wears baggy-richard simmons clothes, bandanas, grills, has a certain swagger, etc.

I'm sure your friend would have had a different response if the same guy was clean-cut with school books listening to his ipod.

Guest monkeyinabarrel

Is my friend racist?

nah it's not racist

I mean lets be serious here if a white guy wore that attire he's a wannabe black (aka wigger)

Wigger_bling.jpg does this look scary to you?

compared to this photo of tupac thug-life-tupac.jpg

not to be bad talking wiggers here but the wigger in the photo looks a whole lot physically fit than one I know

Well, if I was walking down the street at night and I saw a shady looking character, I'd be scared regardless of race.

As long as we are different, there will be stereotypes... In a perfect world, nobody would be judgemental or have preconceived bias about how a person will act or behave based on a physical or mental trait... But in this world, because of what countries have done in history, because of what our parents have told us growing up, because of our friends and because of the media that dominates almost every aspect of our lives, we're so exposed to stereotypes that most of us succumb to them... I think it takes a person with strong morals and values to stand up against them.

Going back to your story, even if it was a fellow Asian in a bandana and vest approaching me at night in the city, you bet I'd have my hand ready to dial 911 LOL :D

Guest hot.cocoa

nah it's not racist

I mean lets be serious here if a white guy wore that attire he's a wannabe black (aka wigger)

*quoted image* does this look scary to you?

compared to this photo of tupac *quoted image*

not to be bad talking wiggers here but the wigger in the photo looks a whole lot physically fit than one I know

i don't think this is really a fair comparison.. tupac is a lot more built than the white guy.. 

Guest Dara-chan

Racism is when someone discriminates another because of their race. Your friend wasn't rascist since he was discriminating the other party. (i.e. calling him insulting names, saying things like he can't walk on the street because he's black, etc.) Basically, your friend was stereotyping. He saw how the man dressed and assumed that he was a threat just based on his attire, not his race. If he was basing this on race, then he would be scared every time he saw a black person. -_-  

Guest HERMIT

i don't think this is really a fair comparison.. tupac is a lot more built than the white guy.. 

Not to mention, Tupac is dead.  If you saw him, then that would mean he's come back as a zombie - and that's way more scary at a much different level.

Archived