DIY toilet paper roll containers

melkimx

very, very simple
I'd like to preface by saying that I know my crafting ability is nowhere near the standards of anyone who has posted tutorials in this forum -- don't expect much from me! But I thought there might be a few people like myself who can't handle exacto knives, don't really know how to sew, and can't knit or crochet -- but still get the urge to get crafty. I used to make these toilet paper/paper towel roll containers back in high school. The original instructions came from a Japanese magazine, but that's long been thrown in the trash. So I decided to recreate the steps here:

containerDIY.jpg

Basically, you can "read" it as L-R, top to bottom. In the first picture, a couple items are missing: flat cardboard (for the top and bottom of the containers) and tape. The tape is if your inner and outer rolls are the same diameter -- in that case, you would cut along the length of one roll and tape it so it's now a little smaller than the outer roll. And I would definitely recommend thinner fabric than what I used. I realized as I was making these that the thick fabric makes it look bulkier and more homemade than when I used to use a different type of fabric. Especially along the top and bottom. But the fabric I bought was reversible and so cute! I couldn't resist.

You can use these containers to store small items such as paper clips, pins, and beads. Enjoy!

Guest Saseumi

I have to show my friend this. She's been unable to sew lately because she's busy with her studies but I know she has so much nice fabric to use up and she just loves anything that helps with organisation. :3

well, they have to hold small light items, like paper clips, thumbtacks, etc. and they're not waterproof, obviously. but i can say that mine (not these ones here, but the ones i originally made) have held up for over ten years, probably because they just sit on my desk most of the time.

well, they have to hold small light items, like paper clips, thumbtacks, etc. and they're not waterproof, obviously. but i can say that mine (not these ones here, but the ones i originally made) have held up for over ten years, probably because they just sit on my desk most of the time.

^__^ I want to make some! thanks!

Guest tinhieu

haha! This is realllyyy creative. Thanks for sharing with us!^^

I just have find a way to use up all the tape first... hahaha

Adding on to melkimx's post I saw these the other days and thought they were pretty cool. It'll definitely come in handy since it's around the time people start planting again.

*quoted image*

http://www.uberloots.com/2009/05/making-toilet-paper-plant-pots/

I love toilet paper rolls! There's so much fun crafts you can do with them. I wanted to post some I found recently but I didn't want to hi-jack mel's thread haha xD

I love toilet paper rolls!  There's so much fun crafts you can do with them.  I wanted to post some I found recently but I didn't want to hi-jack mel's thread haha xD

nono, please do! and i like the plant pots! i actually want to start growing something for my desk at work, so i'm going to check this out!

Guest HERMIT

Haha, I have to admit, those look pretty cute.  And simple to make too!

I guess there are more constructive ways you can make do with old toilet paper roll containers.

Crusty old me could only think of pranks:

1h7ws.jpg

But on a more positive note, I suppose an old toilet paper roll can be used as a "gift wrapping paper clamp".

Just cut across the toilet paper horizontally so as to "open" it up and it can be an adjustable "clamp" to help keep your unused birthday and Christmas gift wrapping paper in place.  And if you keep loads of gift wrapping paper in storage for a long time like I somehow manage to do, it's better than rubber bands because even those eventually lose elasticity and break - or even leave a "discoloration ring" on the gift wrap itself.

Guest MeiHearts

omgsh i saw this over the internet and didn't know that was from you :o haha that's so awesome! I really need to do something with mine

Archived