Why are most Christians who believe and worship god hypocrites?

Guest Gaesekke1

Guest Gaesekke1

I just LOVE how people especially the youth and young adults who "believe and worship God" are hypocrites; smoke weed, do drugs, sex, hate their enemies, disobey their parents, spend their money on material objects, only care for the looks can go to church every Sunday with a smile on their face. There is a reason why I haven't been in church simply the fact that I can't keep up and I'm guilty of all these things. You can sure accuse me for avoiding my problems, but what does that make you? These so called 'imperfect' Christians accuse others of doing bad things when they can't speak for themselves. It's like Church of Jesus that come to me and say that i'm gonna go to hell and all this richard simmons, when in reality the teachings of their church is very anal and the pastor is a "god" to them. I also feel like it's so wrong to go to church for "other reasons" such as to meet friends and meet girls thinking it as some kind of a playground, it's ridiculous. Is that what "CHURCH" is for?

My biggest point is I see people quoting all these bible verses when in reality I see them at clubs I work at or they play a different role stealing and lying like a pirate. Then accuse me I'm going to hell. What is it, seriously?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest I||usi0nz

They will be judged. condemned, and contempt for.

They obviously fall into sin the same way as other people.

Ask themselves why they doing all the bad things?

Would they be exceptional for the things they do when they can't set an example for you?

I don't think so. They need to repent and stop what they're doing and admitting and follow Jesus Christ teaching.

Find a better Christian's who you see light on. For example; like Jeremy Lin. He's a Christian no?

Oh geez, compared to everyone else's perfect explainations, mine is so freaking long :( Sorry about the wall of text, but for some reason this resonates really strongly inside of me, so here I go. I'm also not very good expressing myself properly online. Hope the message is conveyed properly >_<;;

The thing about Christianity is... hmm. Let me try explaining it like a kpop fanbase. Pick a fanbase, any fanbase, and automatically thoughts flood your mind about what they're like. Everyone has their own opinions about them based on the fans they happen to meet who happen to be in that fanbase, and there's no one way to describe what the fanbase is like. Some fans in this fanbase are super nice, while other are super mean. It's natural: not everyone has the same personality, not everyone comes from the same background, each of their stories are different. But let's assume you are unlucky enough to encounter only the mean ones. Your opinion of that fanbase (so far) would have been "Wow, what the hell? They're so mean!" when really, it's just that you haven't met (or noticed) the nice ones because the mean ones have already set that standard for you.

The same thing goes for Christians. I'd say it's the same for every other religion, but I don't know enough of them all to generalize them like this so let's just keep it confined to just Christians. Many Christians don't live their life the way you describe, but at the same time, many Christians are exactly the way you describe them to be. However, it's not a good idea to generalize an entire religion/faith based on one bad group of examples, just like how people shouldn't judge an entire fanbase based on one bad group of fans. There are "good", "bad", and those "in between"(note: these terms could mean different things per person, but to keep things simple, and to keep this already long wall of text short-ish, I'll be using them in a generalized fashion), and this exists for every single thing on Earth, but you really shouldn't base your decision of them solely on the people you meet. In my opinion, I don't think it's fair to the ones who work hard to be a good example of a Christian because when you already have that mindset of Christians being hypocrites, whatever they worked hard at is all flushed down the toilet since in your mind, they're a hypocrite right away. When they don't fit, you use excuses and reason that they probably aren't really Christians or that they probably are just putting on a facade and behind the scenes, they're exactly what you imagine them to be. When they do fit, you affirm with yourself that your decision of them was correct.

I think church is what you choose to make of it. Like I said before, and like you experienced in the past, there are bad Christians. So for them, church is nothing more than what you just said: a place to socialize, to meet girls, and play around. What about the good ones? And the ones in between? Church was meant for Christians to come together and worship God, that's the point of church. However, it's impossible to say that each and every single Christian actually goes church for this purpose. That's why there are people like those you mentioned who do the things they do.

I'm forgetting to mention one very important thing, and here it is: We(not just Christians, I mean everyone) are human. When it comes down to it, we are first and foremost, human. We are people that make mistakes. It's built into our system that we aren't perfect, and though we try to be, perfection is near-impossible to achieve. To assume Christians are perfect, is a fallacy. For Christians to claim that they are perfect, is a fallacy.

Hmm... I think that should be it. Thanks for being so patient if you actually read this through, I realize it's a lot =_=;;

^ Agreed =)

One of my best friends used to hate Christians with a passion, haha. However, she recently ended up encountering some people; supposedly they were some of the sweetest, most genuinely caring people...and she was surprised because they were a group of Christians. It's been a couple of months and her view on Christians (and Christianity in general) has changed drastically.

The truth is, Christians aren't defined as some group of people with morals; what makes one a Christian stems from his or her acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Savior of mankind…and anyone who holds that belief can technically declare himself Christian. But from there, you'll have those who struggle more than others to follow God's word to love your neighbors, hold such and such characteristics, etc, etc.

From my own experiences, I've met some of the worst people in the Christian community as well…and it sucks because they are the ones that make the entire group look bad. But I've also met some of the best people in the Christian community. My current church is filled with people who are truly in love with Christ, who sincerely care about the people around them. <3 So believe me, there are genuine Christians out there as well =)

And as mentioned above, Jeremy Lin is one example.

Guest seolondon24

I can't blame you if that is your perception about Christian because that is what you see in their lifestyle by yourself. Honestly, there are two types of "Christian". First, People who are merely christian or claiming christian in name but not functioning as christian. These are so called sanctimonious. Second, People who function as Christ servant. These are people who are willing to die for Almighty God and not for the "gods in this world'. In order to know this true Christian you can see the life of Christ is manifesting in their lifestyle. Lastly, Christian is not perfect human being. They also commit sin. But, they are striving into perfection.

Guest fiercediva

Caveat: This is my understanding, as a person raised by a Pentecostal mother and a Baptist father, who has attended Presbyterian, Episcopal and Catholic schools growing up, and who has studied the history of the Christian church including sects like the Mormons and the JWs.

Regardless of denomination, a Christian is supposed to be allowing God to work through them to manifest his glory on Earth because, on one's own, one cannot "be good" and save themselves from sin because of the natively sinful nature of humankind.

This is an incredibly difficult thing to do, as it involves sublimating one's own will to the divine, many times in the face of "logic" and apparent self-interest. If you are called to a life of poverty and deprivation in order to help others in God's name, or even to put yourself in harm's way, who would naturally want that for themselves? If you are called to do something weird to you, and you can't see how it would ultimately turn out in advance, how many could quash doubt and be obedient? What you see in a true Christian is the manifestation of God in them, not any characteristic they were born with or achieved on their own.

The dichotomy in the Christians who do not walk the walk but call themselves such is that they are either

1) "cafeteria Christians", picking what they will do to "be religious" but not really wanting to cede control of their lives to God - not a priest/minister/evangelist, not a cult leader or teacher, but God. They do not really repent or regret the things they do that will ultimately separate them from God. A Christian must repent - be truly sorry for sin - and to stop actively seeking to repeat the same behavior. A Christian can backslide, but the idea is that it is a temporary setback where you call upon God for strength not to keep doing it. A person doesn't get a free pass to act any old way  because they responded to an altar call once, were baptized in water or became a church member. Someone praying over them before they die, if they don't repent, or after they die, may not make up for the person's actions in life. (Denominations differ widely on the fine points of gaining salvation and whether it can be lost).

2) Christians who belong to a system of beliefs that I call "brownie points for God". They believe that if they live as good a life as they possibly can on their own, and do things that they think God will like - even if they never asked Him or end up doing the opposite! - they will win their way into Heaven. Of course if that was possible, there would have never been a need for God's sacrifice of Jesus to redeem Christians, as they would be capable of achieving salvation all on their own. People like this can do some pretty horrible things claiming it's for God when it's all coming from themselves, or rationalize behavior by thinking that saying a few prayers after the sin is done will cover their asses, even if they fully intend to sin again.

3) Not Christians at all, but opportunists seeking to ally themselves with people who identify as Christians in order to get their support or appear as principled in their public personae. Politicians and media personalities who suddenly start going to church and giving pious speeches but show no other signs of humility, kindness or self-sacrifice are obvious examples.

Guest Gaesekke1

So if your a Christian and you kill someone, you will be forgiven? Compared to if someone was not a Christian, and he killed someone as well? But that makes the Christian killer look even worse. 

If you're looking for perfection on earth, you will be sorely disappointed. 

Church is a gathering of hypocrites, not perfect beings. The difference lies in the fact that these hypocrites are (ideally) laying down who they are in search of forgiveness, salvation, and redemption from the one they call God.

Change the title to "Why are ALL Christians who believe and worship god hypocrites?"

Because we are all hypocrites.

Guest fiercediva

So if your a Christian and you kill someone, you will be forgiven? Compared to if someone was not a Christian, and he killed someone as well? But that makes the Christian killer look even worse. 

Not to sermonize, but in brief, the concept is that a person who truly repents of their sin, even murder, and humbles themselves before God will be forgiven if it's God's will. BUT it's not all sunshine and unicorns. Repentance is supposed to be from the heart with a real desire not to repeat, because there is no hiding of deceit from an omnipotent being. Moreover, the forgiveness does not mean that amends don't have to be made for the wrong done. With examples of people in the Bible who sinned badly, like King David becoming an adulterer who murdered the husband of the woman he got pregnant to cover up the sin, Christians are shown that when real repentance occurs, there is forgiveness but death, pain and sorrow for the sinner and those around him are still consequences of those free-will actions. The conclusive lesson of those illustrations is that, out of the messes people can make when they sin, when they repent a merciful God not only can forgive but restore. "Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound."

So if you see someone who appears to preach one thing and do another, know that the Christian belief is that all have to ultimately answer for their actions in life, even if it appears that they are getting away with something in the present sans repercussions.

Yup, that's what a christian told me when I asked.

"God forgives everything no matter how bad it is, as long as you acknowledge that what you did was wrong and ask for forgiveness."

Or something along the lines.

I lol'd hard. But then wondered how many people actually follow that logic.

Guest crazy lulu

there are the hypocrites and there are the ones who carry through. sometimes it's a part of the process of sanctification, and if in the end, hypocritical Christians remain hypocritical Christians, then they answer to their way of life. hypocritical Christians shouldn't stop you from tackling your problems.

Guest synergyz

you'll find people like that no matter what religion they are. Even if they are atheist.

Its just more funny when Christians do it.

Guest A.phiej

Hiii,,just found this interesting article while searching i am a devoted christian i believe in JESUS

And im not gonna deny that many many christians are hypocrites, with bad attitudes, annoying, and some even judging non-christian people assuming themselves better than anyone.. To admit once i was like that when i was a new believer til someday a friend told me that what i do is not reflecting what i said which means hypocrisy.. Well now i realize that i'm just a normal people, Who Believes in JESUS, being a christian doesn't means that u'll become like sinless angels in a swap! In fact, there is a fighting between your will to do right and your lust to do bad, every single day! Even every minutes! It is GOD who sanctifies you, not your action.. Even the best of your action is consider like trash in GOD's holiness,, no one can do Good outside Christ, even a christian..

I just want you to know JESUS.. I don't care being a christian or going to church, but when you know JESUS personally..you will falling in love with HIM! Really... No one can ever love you like He does! Well if you don't mind i would like to share you something i know abput JESUS.. I'm not trying to make you a christian or anything.. I just want you to know the Person who changes my life entirely :)

JESUS is GOD.. And 2000 years ago, He came to this earth.. Died at the cross, to save every sinner who believes :) no one ever died for me.. Have you know that JESUS has died for you and me??? Yes,, He died for everyone.. He died not only for your sins, but also for you weaknesses, your sickness, your poorness, and every bad things in your life, so that you can have life and live it in its fullness :) i can tell you this because,, i know my life changed upside down since i believe in Christ JESUS.. My father passed away when i was like 7 years old,, and one day in 2004 i went to church, not because i want to but my mom urged me to,, and that day i don't know how, i felt the love of JESUS,, i just felt that i am loved by GOD that HE is like a Father for me.. At that moment i felt the Love like i never ever in my life felt before,, it is really amazing,, and that day i receive JESUS as my Saviour and God, that's just the besstt of the best decision i ever made.. Like i've said, being a christian doesn't means i become perfect,, i struggling with sins, i fall soo many times., but one things i learn, GOD never give up with me.. Thats why i never give up trusting GOD :) you know what, GOD never judge me when i fall.. HE always receive me no matter how bad i am and strengthen me when im weak,, being loved like that makes me dont want to sins even more,,, how could you hurt someone who loves you like that..

Friends.. I just want you to know JESUS and HIS real personality.. Not by how christians act,, many christians don't acts like Him you know.. But i guarantee once you know HIM oersonally,, you will love HIM.. He loves us even we are not deserve to be loved.. He came to this world not to judge, but to save.. If you believe in Him.. :))

Hehehehe is my story is too long eh?? Sorry if it is :P

Heyy,, if you are interested to know who the real JESUS is,, you can watch a video sermon by Joseph Prince in www.itbn.org ,, search for the keyword "joseph prince" then you'll found hundreds of video just click on one that interest you and listen :)) those are good sermon about the real personality of JESUS.. Not an anger judging God who punish,, but a loving graceful GOD who forgives and redeem :)) listen to those,, why don't you try? You won't lack anything if you are listen :)) don't you want to know what those christian heard on the church? Hehe those sermon are interwsting and the pastor also funny haha

Well thank you everyone :P any question of feedback you can message me! Thankss

With lovee a.phiej ;)

Guest A.phiej

Hehee sorry i just realize that my story is't complete :P the greater thing about JESUS is He is risen from the death 3 days afeter He died,, He has overcome the death, so that you and i can live the eternal life in heaven :)) now HE is in heaven preparing a place for you and me :)) don't you want your spot there? Well, i imagine that GOD has provide me my dream house hahaha i would love a house full of flowers ;"> hehehe

Another amazing story is when JESUS is hanging on the cross (this story is written on the bible, btw Holy Bible is not a fairytale books,, every deatils is recorded and proved in the history record) there are also 2 people hanging on the cross one on the left and the other on the right of JESUS, they are a bad bad bad sinner, a criminal, robber or murderer, being hanging in the cross is the worst crime punishment actually,, and JESUS being blameless died on the cross for you and me.. So that we can live on His behalf,, He took our portion you know.. We are the pne who suppose to die..,, anyway back to the story.. The person on the left shouted to JESUS said like this " hey,, if you are really GOD why don't You save Yourself (from this cross) and save us too!!" the the other person on the left rebuked him said "hey,, don't you even fear GOD,, seeing you are under the same condemnation, and we indeed justlu receive the due reward of our deeds, but This Man (referring JESUS) has done nothjng wrong" then he said to JESUS "Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom" then JESUS said to that man on the right "most assuredly i say to you, today you will be with me in paradise"

See that? The person on the right is a murderer or robber he is a criminal,, and at the last breath of his life he only said to JESUS: please remember me when You are in ypur kingdom.. What?? He don't even said " i'm sorry i'm a sinner would you pleaase pleasee pleaase forgive me so that i can go to heaven??" btput from the way he said, he state that he believes that: 1. JESUS is GOD 2. JESUS is died for sinner 3. He believes JESUS was going to ber risen from the death.. And now,, he is in heaven...

Hehee sorry i just realize that my story is't complete :P the greater thing about JESUS is He is risen from the death 3 days afeter He died,, He has overcome the death, so that you and i can live the eternal life in heaven :)) now HE is in heaven preparing a place for you and me :)) don't you want your spot there? Well, i imagine that GOD has provide me my dream house hahaha i would love a house full of flowers ;"> hehehe

Another amazing story is when JESUS is hanging on the cross (this story is written on the bible, btw Holy Bible is not a fairytale books,, every deatils is recorded and proved in the history record) there are also 2 people hanging on the cross one on the left and the other on the right of JESUS, they are a bad bad bad sinner, a criminal, robber or murderer, being hanging in the cross is the worst crime punishment actually,, and JESUS being blameless died on the cross for you and me.. So that we can live on His behalf,, He took our portion you know.. We are the pne who suppose to die..,, anyway back to the story.. The person on the left shouted to JESUS said like this " hey,, if you are really GOD why don't You save Yourself (from this cross) and save us too!!" the the other person on the left rebuked him said "hey,, don't you even fear GOD,, seeing you are under the same condemnation, and we indeed justlu receive the due reward of our deeds, but This Man (referring JESUS) has done nothjng wrong" then he said to JESUS "Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom" then JESUS said to that man on the right "most assuredly i say to you, today you will be with me in paradise"

See that? The person on the right is a murderer or robber he is a criminal,, and at the last breath of his life he only said to JESUS: please remember me when You are in ypur kingdom.. What?? He don't even said " i'm sorry i'm a sinner would you pleaase pleasee pleaase forgive me so that i can go to heaven??" btput from the way he said, he state that he believes that: 1. JESUS is GOD 2. JESUS is died for sinner 3. He believes JESUS was going to ber risen from the death.. And now,, he is in heaven...

Friends,, it is not your action that makes you saved,, it is JESUS who save you!!!

No one is saved outside Christ

I'm not saying that you can do sinss and still saved at the end,, no, sins is not good and not to be done! Sins will will take you farther than you want to go and cost you more than you want to pay, trust me you'll want to avoid sins as far as you can,, sins will take you far from JESUS, far from your salvation, close to death and to hell-_-" soo,, forgiveness is totally not a freepass to do sinss!

Forgiveness will lead you to righteousness :)

Living with GOD is exciting you know!

Woowwww,, i posted even a longer post :P sorry for that!!

Guest Irysinon

It should be as simple as this. Christians should do what is pleasing to God (selflessness), not what's pleasing to themselves (selfishness). Now, I don't mean they can't scratch an itch or eat some delicious food at midnight or play video games. I mean they should strive to model themselves after Jesus. That should be the fundamental. If it goes against God, don't do it. Just because people make mistakes shouldn't be an excuse to continue to sin. They should make the effort at least. Death through Adam, life through Christ. I particularly can't stand the ones that distort what's written in order to justify their opposite actions.

I grew up in a Christian home. Both of my parents are hardcore believers. I was always lukewarm (being 50/50) until I devoted myself entirely for two years and preached hellfire & brimstone shortly after I repented and believed in Jesus as Lord/Saviour, but I saw a lot of hypocrisy too. Of course I didn't judge by pointing fingers and accusing. I just used the Bible in order to rebuke. I don't believe anymore (for many personal/philosophical reasons as well as theoretical/moral reasons) and have actually been VERY bitter towards Christians' self-righteously arrogant and proselytizing attitudes/behaviour for years. In many ways it also reminded me of how I once was when I got extreme. Now I don't really care because I know there are jerks everywhere in any sect. I also find it funny how the ones that are the most vocal against a sin are the ones secretly committing it. I know a lot of jerk-off Christians, but I also know a select few who have shown love through action and not just by words.

Guest ailui

it's christianity!

just don't go to church it's silly, and you can have a whole day to do much better stuff like reading a book or being on soompu

it's not christianity....for example in my country people do not do that...

and their attitudes might just be their inner spiritual being fighting the material world (u can't deny society is constantly degrading and pressuring young people to fit in=>this whole contradiction) but at least they try from time to time

this or they're just deluding themselves into thinking sunday in church will excuse or justify their daily actions

Guest IUandMe

Difference: they're going to church. You're not.

They will be forgiven.

You do not have to go to church to be saved.  The fact that you believe Jesus died for the sins and rose again is enough.  Believing that will show you how much love God gave people and that will lead you to loving him and creating a relationship.  God created church for the benefit of humans.  Since God is not visible, the church was created where believers could meet and interact with other Christians.  Church was made to create a family of loving people and to learn about the bible.  It is unfortunate a majority of the churches are not like this.  Almost all of the churches (I been to) are filled with "cliques" which tend not to welcome new people to their group which ultimately can be viewed as the church.

Many people like you bash on Christians because of the sex, drugs, etc... You have to realize that the people you are talking about do not actually believe and worship God.  If they actually believed that Jesus died for their sins and rose again, their life would show their faith.  If I had someone that died to save me I would not just shrug it off thinking, "Oh that's cool" and go on just living my life.  From the point I got saved, I would have a totally different view on life which would lead me to live a totally different life.  The people you are talking about are just people who believe with their words.  Or they are misinformed of the whole idea of, "oh I do bad stuff, but I enjoy doing it so I'll just go to church to cancel out my guilt."

It saddens me that there are a lot of people with thoughts like yours.. I hope a true Christian in your life will pop up and change your view on us.  ohmy.gif

Archived