Fake Facial Hair Becoming Trendy in Korea

Jaeho

Paste or brush a beard on!
I was watching a Korean show about this and I thought it was interesting. 

A lot of Koreans still view facial hair as dirty, and it's not very common to see Korean guys with it because they either shave or can't really grow 'em out. Image is really important in Korea, so there's some kind of stigma attached to facial hair. phew.gif Korean sites that help out with resumes encourage clean-shaven photos, for example.

But well-kept facial hair can look good on certain facial structures, so it's not always a bad thing! mellow.gif

Fake facial hair can apparently come in handy if you must shave because of work, or if you simply don't have the genes for it.

Japan invented realistic paste-on facial hair, which is also sold in Korea. 

You can view an ad for it here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4SmWhwZqBig

(To be honest, I think he should do something about his eyebrows instead. phew.gif)

But since these facial hair stickers only come in certain shapes, 

Korean companies have created brush-on facial hair.

View a video demonstration of this product here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=g7fkdsIg44g

The results can look pretty realistic.

1_23.JPG

Apparently, 10,000 of these were sold in just one day according to one blog post.

1h3rz9.jpg

POWDER FOR BEING TRUE MAN!

Do you remember this nasty manly picture of Leeteuk?

td229860_0.jpg

Yeah. Brush-on facial hair. w00t.gif

Guest HERMIT

So let me guess:  In order for the fake facial hair effect to work, and to ensure that the makeup applies and adheres correctly, the subject must be well-shaven prior to its application.

WTH  k9jmtu.jpg ????

They should try selling this product by the bucket for BALD men.

Guest o________O

Fake facial hair for men who cannot grow facial hair properly.....this is extremely so sad.

So how are circle lenses', hair dyes, make-up, wigs etc. exempt from this?

:rolleyes:

Guest karyee

Lololol well it's kind of the equivalence to false eyelashes... yeah? It's kind of weird if you ask me, but if you're a guy who can't grow facial hair want to experience having facial hair, then go for it!

So how are circle lenses', hair dyes, make-up, wigs etc. exempt from this?

:rolleyes:

If girls do it, to me that's to enhance,

if (straight) guys do it, some things u mentioned above make me cringed, just don't look right. I'd prefer them just to care of their facial skin and the rest to remain natural. So the fake facial hair --> :crazy:

Double standard, i know.

Guest o________O

if guys do it, some things u mentioned above make me cringed, just don't look right. I'd prefer them just to care for their skin and the rest to remain natural. So the fake facial hair --> :crazy:

Double standard, i know.

LOL! At least you admit it~

I was referencing that stuff to both guys and girls.

Guest ronald.

"Sakaltoz, powder for being true man."

Seems legit.

I was lucky for being a true man who wants to get rid of my "true-manliness" by shaving my facial hair.

Guest nana544

WOW, I guess it's okay if the guys want some fake facial hair...if it helps to boost their self-esteem looks then go for it, it's nothing weird at all. Some guys are just not hairy, they should be thankful :)!

if (straight) guys do it, some things u mentioned above make me cringed, just don't look right.  I'd prefer them just to care of their facial skin and the rest to remain natural. So the fake facial hair -->   :crazy:

Double standard, i know.

While I think this looks silly...I really don't think women should judge this in a negative light.  Exactly as you said, double standard.

Women have so many "enhancement" tools it is ridiculous, yet you can't even cut a guy a break for doing ONE thing?

Let's list some "acceptable and commonly used" enhancements from top to bottom:

Hair:  Extensions

Overall Face: Botox for wrinkles and lips...oh yeah let's not forget the crazy amount of makeup that is available...foundation, concealer, etc.

Eyes: Fake eyelashes, circle lense contacts, tape

Lips: Lipstick

Neck: Botox again

Breasts:  Padded bras, implants, silicone pads 

Stomach:  Those wear on thing slimmer tight things

Butt:  butt enhancing pads, implants

Thighs: tights

Overall legs:  heels to enhance height and create an illusion of long legs.

Guest bombb_

well, now they can't get caught in the rain without their "face falling off." lolol.

or when it gets hot and they sweat (like when girls say their face is melting).

Guest carmen91

I guess its not weird this is just the same thing as females using products to enhance their feminity eg padded bra, false lashes. I guess the trend in korea for men is to look more masculine so facial hair makes them look manlier. The whole pretty boy look is not in anymore

Guest HERMIT

I wonder:  if a guy kisses a girl, could the fake facial hair rub off and thereby give the woman a moustache?

That would be something - they kiss and the guy gets a little bit of lipstick smeared on his lips and the girl gets a nice little moustache smeared onto her upper lip.  Nice.

So here we are with females and their enhancements so they can look younger, while men want enhancements to look older...? Is anyone else sensing a potential awkward age gap problem where the wife looks like she's 25 and the guy looks like he's 40 > >

Guest Mochikoferret

I think it actually makes sense--there are some facial structures that just look far more sophisticated with a touch of facial hair, which is exactly what this product is supposed to provide.  For instance, Lee Kwangsoo:

without facial hair:

lee-kwangsoo.jpg

With facial hair:

news_lee-kwang-soo.jpg

See my point?  if facial hair--real or fake--is manicured/applied well, it can do wonders. It's just like head hair, dye, makeup--any of that. you just have to know what you're doing.

Guest dorkhead

given it wouldnt really look right for 16 year old boys (asian boys tend to look very baby faced then)...but damn for the 25 years and up....it can look damn sexy!

it's okay--if it fits his face--like a hairstyle...not everyone can wear the same one--so it really does depend on the person. On some faces it seems kind of out of place. I think Heechul looked okay with it--only I'm not sure if it was real--or if it was this stuff. G.O (MBLAQ) looked okay, and I'm pretty sure it was his own--but I like him better without. Tiger JK also looks fine with it.

Guest rachilde

Erg...But I hate that kind of shrimpy, overly-manicured facial hair. I prefer my men either clean shaven or with awesome lumberjack beards. Call me when we've perfected brush-on beards.

well, now they can't get caught in the rain without their "face falling off." lolol.

or when it gets hot and they sweat (like when girls say their face is melting).

The brush-on facial hair is actually waterproof. :P The adhesive doesn't come off unless you use the remover. 

Yes, I looked all this info up. LOL I don't need it though (I shave). Actually, facial hair doesn't suit my face at all. :[

Archived