do I look better with brown or jet black hair? should I try a crazy color?

Guest little-fawn

Guest little-fawn

hello! I'm relatively new here, and mostly signed up because I thought some beauty advice from people that specialize in asian features would be best.

last year, I dyed my hair brown with a really crappy $3 hair dye, and it actually didn't turn out too bad. this is how it looked:

tumblr_lzz2fjqT5n1qzhdito1_500.png

but last month, it grew out and my hair was all sorts of colors, it actually took on a kind of ombre effect (so maybe I should just do that?) and i looked like this:

tumblr_lvekxwehTn1qzhdito1_500.png 

so I decided to dye it jet black for the fun of it, and it generally looks like this:

d1e6a9a4fb7df6c4d18ad79c5a9fa5cb_large.jpg

which I like because it brings out my features more!

however, nowadays I kind of yearn back for my brown hair because it looks more three-dimensional and less dull. but then, I also realize my time is running out (i'm 17) to dye my hair crazy colors that I wouldn't have the opportunity to when I'm older, so I thought I might regret wasting my youth. i've also been thinking about dying my hair  pastel peach, lilac, or red.

but.. i've never seen these colors done on asians really! does anyone have pictures of this? what would look good on my coloring?

this kind of hair is what i'm referring to:

peach colored hair, though what i'd want would be duller and a tad darker

214_073D.jpg

Guest StandingWayward

How about a darker brown? A warm color with dimension but not too light?

I don't know about lilac or peach...maybe red underneath? If you don't like it it's easy to dye over and it's way more subtle.

So maybe black with red underneath (maybe even purple) or dark brown :)

Guest little-fawn

How about a darker brown? A warm color with dimension but not too light?

I don't know about lilac or peach...maybe red underneath? If you don't like it it's easy to dye over and it's way more subtle.

So maybe black with red underneath (maybe even purple) or dark brown :)

subtly isn't exactly what I'm going for though, I guess!

but yeah, definitely true. what about a unconventional color, but in a not-so-in-your-face shade?

Beauty-Mauve-Palty-Hair-Dye.jpg

I kind of like this palty hair dye, it's a subtle cool-toned purple!

Next time you should post in the Critique My Appearance thread for advice.

I personally like the black hair, but I think pastel colors could work for you. Pastel colors are hard to maintain though (just a warning!)

oh, sorry! I wasn't sure because my post was super picture-heavy and I had a lot of questions.. I also forgot to include that my friend recommended me:

http://www.sallybeau...lor=Soft+Auburn

and was wondering if I should use this or a dye more geared towards asian hair... I'm just really clueless about hair dye @__@

and yeah, I like my black hair too. my boyfriend thinks its fun when I dye my hair though, and he personally prefers the brown so...

Go for some crazy colors. If you're shy, wait until college where less people would probably notice (nobody pays attention). Also, it's springtime (here). Crazy colors or brown.

I have this dilemma too so right now my hair (it's ombre) goes from a dark brown to a light brown/dirty blond.

Guest nameless

17 is not close to getting old for crazy hair colors at all! Personally, I would say, go for it. You look great with all the previous hair colors and rocking an unconventional color boldly is awesome and shows confidence! But like someone had said, pastel colors and hair dying in general is a pain in the butt D:

And actually, many Asians I know have had crazyyyy hair colors, and it looks amazing! But of course, it must suit them :P

Guest bellelagon

You look like you can pull just about anything off. Go for a crazy colour if you want to try it off. just be careful with bleaching it too much it can make any hair look ugly (plus the ends break really easy).

If you just want a "normal" hair colour I vote for the brown. It looks really good.  

Guest nobody knows

I don't think there's an age limit for different coloured hair

I mean, I'm 19 and have pink hair, there are people that are almost graduating and had blue, blond, turquoise, etc. hair (within this school year)

I guess it depends on your profession/majour, and how tasteful you make it

you can always just bleach it and dye it a random colour, and you don't like it or if you don't think it suits you, dye it back to brown or black

hair is hair, it grows and can always be changed back

Guest little-fawn

dude your brown hair... looks so amazing on you. it gives you this soft feminine look...hard to explain but when i first saw the picture, i was like, "i would kill for that hair.." but then again, it might just be because you look so stunning haha

awh, thank you so much! i'm sure you're just as stunning yourself, if not more! I wish I could remember what box dye I used... I just remember it being really cheap and not knowing what I was doing, haha.

I don't think there's an age limit for different coloured hair

I mean, I'm 19 and have pink hair, there are people that are almost graduating and had blue, blond, turquoise, etc. hair (within this school year)

I guess it depends on your profession/majour, and how tasteful you make it

you can always just bleach it and dye it a random colour, and you don't like it or if you don't think it suits you, dye it back to brown or black

hair is hair, it grows and can always be changed back

Well, yeah obviously there's no definitive age where you just can't have crazy colors, but speaking pragmatically, it may influence what jobs you get or how your professors make judgments about you and what not. As I age I want to take on a more professional/natural appearance but not completely to forsake my individuality, of course! When you're young, you have the luxury of wearing or being anything you want, so I want to relish in that.

Yeah, I'm just nervous about the effects bleach will have on my hair. It's already not in not so great condition ;__;

17 is not close to getting old for crazy hair colors at all! Personally, I would say, go for it. You look great with all the previous hair colors and rocking an unconventional color boldly is awesome and shows confidence! But like someone had said, pastel colors and hair dying in general is a pain in the butt D:

And actually, many Asians I know have had crazyyyy hair colors, and it looks amazing! But of course, it must suit them :P

Yeah, definitely. And I don't know of any guides or product that specify on asian hair in terms of less conventional colors ;_;

You look like you can pull just about anything off. Go for a crazy colour if you want to try it off. just be careful with bleaching it too much it can make any hair look ugly (plus the ends break really easy).

If you just want a "normal" hair colour I vote for the brown. It looks really good.  

I can only hope! My skin tone seems prone to changing in terms of lighting and the colors of the walls... I know everyone's does but mine seems more prone! I have pretty milky skin in natural light (in the first picture I look more tan, but that's because it's a picture from a year ago where I wore tinted moisturizer that was too dark for me..) but in my bf's room (which has yellow walls) or in certain lighting, i definitely look tan and whatnot.. not so good for peach hair!

Dye it crazy. Keep it up for a few months or a year. Why not? I dyed my hair some nutty colors when I was in college and even though some people said, "you look so much prettier with brown/black hair", who really cares? Have fun!

(btw, you look beautiful with both colors)

-ginger

your hair/you are gorgeous!

the brown definitely works for you, and i've always had a soft spot for jet black (genes my mom only gave my brothers -.-) which also works.

i would definitely try a crazy color if i could be more rambunctious/confident. so, i say go for it!

the soft pink/peach is adorable, and very eye-catching.

Guest hellokatie1618

Your brown hair was beautiful. A bit of a bad choice to dye it jet black, not that it didn't look good, but I'm going to tell you why. Now it's going to be doubly hard to get your hair lighter. You'll nowhave to bleach. It's not even a situation where you can say, "is there any way to lighten my hair without bleach?". You're really beyond that now. Black dye is the hardest to get out, it not like any other color. I'm not saying this to be mean, I just want you to realize that to get a pretty peach or even red color, you'll have to get your hair a platinum blonde, and that'll take at least 4-5 bleaching sessions AT LEAST, since you dyed your hair black. If your hair was virgin or still lighter, it wouldn't have been so bad to do nor would it have needed that many sessions. And those light colors fade within a week, there's no getting around that, it's just how those light pigments are, whether you are white or asian. Trust me. So I mean if you really want to do it think about your money and the condition of your hair at that point too. After so many bleach sessions, you risk thinning hair or burning your scalp. Yes it can be dangerous to lighten so much. Also, since you have a lot of hair, all of this will cost a LOAD of money, even if you DO try and do it by yourself. I mean you could take the time to gradually go lighter, but you'll have to learn how to live with ugly hair each time until its the right shade. Stylists will say the same thing, its hard to get out and most of them aren't willing to fry your hair with bleach. Also remember, if you dye your hair red, that is also one of the harder pigments to get out of your hair if you decide to change your color. I just wanted to give you something to thinking about. I think you'd look really cute with the peach hair honestly. But it's hard to do. Make sure you find a stylist that specializes in crazy hair. Don't go to just any old one. Seriously drill them with questions and PLEASE ask whether they allow free re-dos if they john tesh up your hair. The salons around here do. You'll be glad you did.

Guest princessberry

Hey I think you can do the pastel colour first, then when it the black roots grow, probably make it ombre! :D I think you will look good with those hair :P

Guest shina1430289965

hello! I'm relatively new here, and mostly signed up because I thought some beauty advice from people that specialize in asian features would be best.

last year, I dyed my hair brown with a really crappy $3 hair dye, and it actually didn't turn out too bad. this is how it looked:

*quoted image*

but last month, it grew out and my hair was all sorts of colors, it actually took on a kind of ombre effect (so maybe I should just do that?) and i looked like this:

*quoted image* 

so I decided to dye it jet black for the fun of it, and it generally looks like this:

*quoted image*

which I like because it brings out my features more!

however, nowadays I kind of yearn back for my brown hair because it looks more three-dimensional and less dull. but then, I also realize my time is running out (i'm 17) to dye my hair crazy colors that I wouldn't have the opportunity to when I'm older, so I thought I might regret wasting my youth. i've also been thinking about dying my hair  pastel peach, lilac, or red.

but.. i've never seen these colors done on asians really! does anyone have pictures of this? what would look good on my coloring?

this kind of hair is what i'm referring to:

peach colored hair, though what i'd want would be duller and a tad darker

*quoted image*

These hairs suits on you . I saw your picture you looking stunning and your hairs is awesome no need to do anything these are very beautiful.

Guest bendan

Omg I love your hair ... the brown matches you very well, but I think you should go ahead and try the peach colored hair too! Although the downside would be damaged hair :/ and up-keep might be a pain when your roots start growing back or the colors fade to some unwanted shade.

The upside is trying a completely new look! Plus you will stand out a lot too. Haha I always try to get my friends to change up their hairstyles since the hair is such a defining feature and people are usually afraid to do anything too drastic to it. But it doesn't hurt to experiment :) and if anything, you can always dye it back.

Archived