Do you think students should have homework?

Guest Charmingbestfriend96

We go to school 8+ hours and when we come back home we are bombarded with homework.

Especially people who do sports/clubs they end up sleeping 3/4 hours per night and end up pulling all nighters

We go to school 8+ hours and when we come back home we are bombarded with homework.

Especially people who do sports/clubs they end up sleeing 3/4 hours per night and end up pulling all nighters

No. Homework should not be mandatory.

Understanding of the material should only be presented in the form of a formal examination at the end of the term.

Who really cares how you choose to learn your stuff.

Some people spend 72 hours prior to the exam filling their head with everything they need to know and pass it with straight A's, others prefer to take it slow and absorb the material over a course of 3-4 months depending on whether you're in high school or college.

While there is probably good reasoning behind homework (eg: forcing you to learn your stuff so that you can understand more complex concepts that build on the basics), not everyone is interested in the kind of mini cooper the school makes you learn. So what's the point?

I imagine the drop out rates and failure rates would go up much higher because a couple exams will decide your final mark, but is that really an issue? Do schools and countries just want to show that they have "good graduation rates" despite producing mini cooper quality?

No. Homework should not be mandatory.

Understanding of the material should only be presented in the form of a formal examination at the end of the term.

Who really cares how you choose to learn your stuff.

Some people spend 72 hours prior to the exam filling their head with everything they need to know and pass it with straight A's, others prefer to take it slow and absorb the material over a course of 3-4 months depending on whether you're in high school or college.

While there is probably good reasoning behind homework (eg: forcing you to learn your stuff so that you can understand more complex concepts that build on the basics), not everyone is interested in the kind of mini cooper the school makes you learn. So what's the point?

I imagine the drop out rates and failure rates would go up much higher because a couple exams will decide your final mark, but is that really an issue? Do schools and countries just want to show that they have "good graduation rates" despite producing mini cooper quality?

Um if the way you say that, I actually think people would get worse grades if they chose "how to learn their stuff"

If the work ethic isn't drilled into you, you probably wouldn't even bother to study.

If you have hw: You're required to do the work that you learned, and with practice that's how you retain what you've learned.

But without hw: You're only absorbing the lectures in school and then... have nothing to practice what you learned unless you do it on your own but what are the chances that you're gonna do it on your own?

I DO think that we shouldn't have homework though, haha. It takes up way too much time.

What I think would be better is if the classwork you do increases to balance out what you're taught in lecture. Homework becomes "classwork". if they could figure out a way to make time for that in an 8hr school day.

Oh damn, 8 hour school day.

This is high school? I only had to go to school for 4 hours lol what.

If the work ethic isn't drilled into you, you probably wouldn't even bother to study.

I guess some people wouldn't bother studying.

But then they won't graduate and they won't get far in the academic world, so unless they simply excel at sports or some sort of skill, they won't get far anyways.

But I'm sure they know what they're doing?

Oh damn, 8 hour school day.

This is high school? I only had to go to school for 4 hours lol what.

I guess some people wouldn't bother studying.

But then they won't graduate and they won't get far in the academic world, so unless they simply excel at sports or some sort of skill, they won't get far anyways.

But I'm sure they know what they're doing?

Yeah im in highschool and my school goes from 8:00 - 3:30

Einstein is a genius but he wasn't good at school. I think some homework is good but sometimes we do unnecessary projects that take up alot of time and you don't really get anything from it

Well I think it's good to help you practice, but the load should definitely be reasonable. I was actually upset that one of my classes from last quarter had no homework and I wasn't sure how to prepare for the test, so I ended up just rewriting my notes which took a long long time.

Guest nobody knows

I think homework is important to have, but a lot of teachers think that the world revolves around their class and gives like a crapload to be done in 2 days, when you have just as much to do in your other classes

having homework-- enough so you can figure out how to do the problems without a teacher guiding you-- is fine

but if you think I'm gonna pull an all nighter for the sake of a stupid english class ...

senior year of high school I had like 4 art classes and 3 subject classes

and all my friends took a billion ap classes

omg senior year was so fun for me

Guest Lauvable

Yes homework should be mandatory so students will actually learn and not just stone around in class. I do however disagree with big final exams as T would rather have more exams with less weighting throughout the year. My economics teaching did not give us homework and instead just told us to review what we did in class at home, and as a result no one except the top students knew anything because everyone else would not even touch their economics book at home, other than to take it out and put it back into their bag. No homework may seem like a good idea for year 7 and 8 students, but once you get near uni/college and your teacher doesn't give you homework, there's a big chance you won't touch that particular subject as much at home as you would with one where there is homework. That is unless you actively review all your subjects in which case is awesome and you will most likely get top marks =D

Homework should not be busy work or given to make the student struggle because the teacher is unable to properly teach and believes in educational Darwinism and "practice is golden". Test scores don't improve if the student never understands in class or at home with piles of assignments to catch up on.

Homework should be given to recap around day's lessons and possibly draw connections to other areas of the world. If the kid learns about baking soda in chemistry class today, homework will be to find out how baking soda is used in the world. If some are curious and privileged enough, give them the task of baking a cake with baking soda, without it, and mistakenly using baking powder. Let them tell the class what happened and review the concepts the next day. I bet most of the class will retain the content much better.

Of course this would require a fundamental change to the education system and to how society views and values education. 

Guest Animeuver

I think it kinda depends. Back in high school homework kinda helped me know what I've actually learned in class and what I needed more help in, especially people like me don't have the motivation to do revision on our own. But they should not be bombarding the students and making them lack sleep just to finish the work. There was once when I was juggling 9 subjects and 3 out of 5 school days I actually spend up to 10 hours in school. It was really tiring when ever teacher is giving you homework and keeping track all the deadlines and adhering to it everyday. If one's grades are suffering because they are having a hard time coping with homework, something's quite off with the system.

In college, homework is basically either classwork or just graded assignments. Classwork is good because you get to do revision right after the teaching part and ask questions on the spot, plus I don't need to bring them home to work on unless time's up. Graded assignments are even better, because if you do well, it'd help lessen the load and stress of having to do well during examinations which takes up way too much percentage. Of course, when graded assignments clash with examinations, it's kinda hard, but I just think of it as a time I get to revise while getting marks for it? Added bonus. :) Besides, homework gives you a gist of what's going to come in the examinations, or the expected answers of it. >:D

Guest LittlePinky82

If I was younger I'd prob agree. But I do find now that I'm an older college student that homework is important. It helps to reinforce the material that you're learning. I was also in an after school activity when I was in high school and come home and do homework. I had friends later in high school who had jobs (my parents wanted me to focus on my school work instead of having a job and I was glad of that since school then was more difficult for me and worked more on my studies). All that should be in consideration with your assignments since people do need decent hours of sleep. But yeah as pointed out homework does help you to see what your strengths and weaknesses are with what you're learning in your subjects and what you need to work on more. Just finding some common ground is important though. 

Guest princessberry

its a routine for schools isnt it? Im in college now, and I somehow missed those days when i was flooded/bombarded with tons tons tons of homeworkssss

Guest media-doll

Homework is a drag, but I think it's necessary. Asides from the obvious material reinforcement it provides students, it also serves as grade padding. Homework is pretty much what keeps my grade afloat as I tend to do poorly on tests/exams in subjects I struggle in due to anxiety.

Guest fred2265

Homework is important as long as it is something that adds to the day time lessons, but needs to be relevant and not just assigned for the sake of it.

When I was in high school, certain classes that I was interested in or was weak in I would actually ask for extra homework plus the option of meeting the teacher at lunch time or after school for further advice and guidance. Homework isn't about rote learning where you just memorise stuff but to understand the process. If you're only rote learning stuff then you need to get more help not less

Yesyesyesyes. When you have lecture classes in college, the profs don't give you homework. They just talk and talk and talk and expect you to read the book and understand it 100%. Sometimes I really wish they would give me homework so I'd have an a better idea of what they want me to know. It also helps you to see where you are and what you need to look over more. Homework helps, really.

Archived