Are smart phones(iPhone 4s specifically) worth it?

Guest katemon

Guest katemon

Haven't seen a thread on this...
Hi!

My buy one get one free LG Cosmo is becoming beaten up and my contract expires in the next few months. While this may be jumping onto the bandwagon, I was looking into an iPhone 4(s?). Is it worth it though? I really like the camera, the design, and the data of course, (to pay for it though is gonna either take someone accepting a job app. from me or some convincing on my parents side lol).

Is it worth it for all the money?

What's your favorite phone and why?sweatingbullets.gif

Thank you!

Would you buy a $20 pen? How about a $500 fountain pen? I feel the pens I buy, although slightly expensive, are worth every dollar but I have a hard time convincing anyone else to splurge on a nice writing instrument. 

Value is a metric that might be measured objectively if you are budgeted. For x amount of money, yes, certain decisions and options make more financial sense (dollar a dozen stick pens) but to a consumer with no predetermined budget, value is probably the last thing on the list of things to consider during a purchase. Value and worth are interchangeable for now (I do differentiate if needed without contradictions but that's a personal interpretation). 

What do you want in a phone? Call people, text, browse the Internet? Or do you want programs and apps and some device that can sync with your desktop? Make a list, post back, and then others can offer input on what might be the best fit for your usage. 

Guest bbpanida

It's worth it. The ipone4s is a good phone.

Plus. You probably will end up keeping it for a few years. Most likely 2 years until u can upgrade.

If you don't want to dish out $200 for 4s, you can buy the 4 for $99. The few differences are the camera resolution, speed, and Siri. 4s is pretty much just an upgrade of the 4. Not that big od a difference to me.

Guest snsd_foreverr

Depends on what you like...You can probably get a decent android phone for a half of the price online. I've used a 4S for about two weeks. The screen resolution is amazing. It is so clear. I fell in love with it instantly. The iPhone 4 is pretty much the same. I recommend you buy something used from craigslist. It is a lot cheaper there. 

Good androids that have good cameras, speedy, and low priced: Galaxy S, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Captivate, My Touch 4G

Would you buy a $20 pen? How about a $500 fountain pen? I feel the pens I buy, although slightly expensive, are worth every dollar but I have a hard time convincing anyone else to splurge on a nice writing instrument. 

Value is a metric that might be measured objectively if you are budgeted. For x amount of money, yes, certain decisions and options make more financial sense (dollar a dozen stick pens) but to a consumer with no predetermined budget, value is probably the last thing on the list of things to consider during a purchase. Value and worth are interchangeable for now (I do differentiate if needed without contradictions but that's a personal interpretation). 

What do you want in a phone? Call people, text, browse the Internet? Or do you want programs and apps and some device that can sync with your desktop? Make a list, post back, and then others can offer input on what might be the best fit for your usage. 

Very much agree here. An iPhone under contract is going to run close to $2000 for the 2 years when all is said and done, while a decent Android may be half that, but nonetheless, not a drop in the bucket, at least in the US. What functions would one want, versus would like to have... if it's just simple texting, calling and an occasional website, a smartphone may not warrant the cost

All phones will pretty much run at least $2000*. The iPhone benefits Apple in high profits but to carriers, it is just another phone in the subsidy system. It's not as if Android phones are exempt from the expensive and ridiculously limited data plans and other petty nickel-and-diming tactics. Difference is most Android phones are free or maybe a hundred or two with a buy-one-get-one sort of deal.

If someone wants the iPhone or any current smartphone, they have to pay up every month. The phones themselves are considerably inexpensive compared to the additional charges a smartphone incurs over a traditional "dumb" phone in a span of 2 years, the standard contract nowadays. If one can live without the iPhone or the new 4G/LTE Android phones, there are cheaper plans (Virgin Mobile, MetroPCS, other regional carriers) that offer good monthly rates with decent phones that provide data, text, and voice. To put some things in perspective: per month, data alone on AT&T or Verizon's network is about 60-75% of what regional carrier plans cost.

If someone just wanted apps and did not care for a phone/calling feature, I'd suggest getting the iPad or iPod Touch. If they are getting a smartphone plan anyways and can deal with the monthly costs, $200 for a phone isn't any sort of financial hurdle to jump over. Although if you are in this situation where money is not the main issue but want some better deal, compare and see if buying unlocked is cheaper. 

*I looked at a comparison when the iPhone 4 came out. Minimum was ~2000, averaged to about ~2900. The other phones had similar or higher rates. Not sure what current prices are but looking around, they have increase overall by $5-10. 

http://www.wired.com...-incredible.jpg

http://www.macrumors...one-data-plans/

All phones will pretty much run at least $2000*. The iPhone benefits Apple in high profits but to carriers, it is just another phone in the subsidy system. It's not as if Android phones are exempt from the expensive and ridiculously limited data plans and other petty nickel-and-diming tactics. Difference is most Android phones are free or maybe a hundred or two with a buy-one-get-one sort of deal.

If someone wants the iPhone or any current smartphone, they have to pay up every month. The phones themselves are considerably inexpensive compared to the additional charges a smartphone incurs over a traditional "dumb" phone in a span of 2 years, the standard contract nowadays. If one can live without the iPhone or the new 4G/LTE Android phones, there are cheaper plans (Virgin Mobile, MetroPCS, other regional carriers) that offer good monthly rates with decent phones that provide data, text, and voice. To put some things in perspective: per month, data alone on AT&T or Verizon's network is about 60-75% of what regional carrier plans cost.

If someone just wanted apps and did not care for a phone/calling feature, I'd suggest getting the iPad or iPod Touch. If they are getting a smartphone plan anyways and can deal with the monthly costs, $200 for a phone isn't any sort of financial hurdle to jump over. Although if you are in this situation where money is not the main issue but want some better deal, compare and see if buying unlocked is cheaper. 

*I looked at a comparison when the iPhone 4 came out. Minimum was ~2000, averaged to about ~2900. The other phones had similar or higher rates. Not sure what current prices are but looking around, they have increase overall by $5-10. 

http://www.wired.com...-incredible.jpg

http://www.macrumors...one-data-plans/

Do you have  a smartphone?

I don't know why people are jumping the gun for an Iphone 4s when there are much better android alternatives out there. For example, The Samsung Galaxy S2 or etc..,

The S2 is currently $229 out the door on a subsidized contract and not proven to be better. Maybe slightly faster in synthetics but what most people will understand from daily use: software, build quality, overall responsiveness, and customer support. You can research those merits on your own time but Samsung support is similar to Google's: hard as hell to get a real person that does not send you in circles. Assuming a real person actually exists to handle customer relations.

The Android release update debacle is a concern. Products barely a year hold are being shafted and users told to "buy a new phone to get this next release."

Guest LittlePinky82

It just depends on what you want. There are perfectly good phone's out there that aren't from Apple.  My previous phone was a really great Samsung. Just check out different phone's your company provides and see reviews on them. I have an Iphone 4 and enjoy it. It's pretty fast with charging up and I can hold plenty of things on there that I need and want. So while I enjoy it there might be a phone out there you like better. :) 

The S2 is currently $229 out the door on a subsidized contract and not proven to be better. Maybe slightly faster in synthetics but what most people will understand from daily use: software, build quality, overall responsiveness, and customer support. You can research those merits on your own time but Samsung support is similar to Google's: hard as hell to get a real person that does not send you in circles. Assuming a real person actually exists to handle customer relations.

The Android release update debacle is a concern. Products barely a year hold are being shafted and users told to "buy a new phone to get this next release."

For AT&T, I got mine at costco for 99$ and that is included with a wearable case and a screen protector.  Not to mentioned that you can input custom roms onto Android which will not only give a new software aesthetic feel but also proved to be more faster than stock rom.

Iphone 4s dominates most Android phones in build quality but it is mostly because of the smaller phone size and the glass body.

It also depends if a colorful display matters to OP and if so he/she should get a samsung because of the super amoled display.

Iphone's display are known to be under saturated in color while the Samsung's Super amoled display are known to oversaturate the colors. Motorola was the only brand that ware reported to have a near true color display on their phones.

Did you read the part where I said if someone could afford several thousand dollars a year on cellphones, then the initial cost is not going to be the biggest burden? I list prices only to point out how trivial comparisons are when the difference between having something one wants is a hundred dollars over the next 24 months, or about $4 a month (~14 cents a day). There are plenty of reasons I can think of where a certain app or way of interacting with a device would be worth much more per day.

Some people don't want to run custom software or require any of those user-liberation features. But this is not my argument to sort out -- ask the original poster. I'm not interested in comparing hardware specs because they're pointless in everyday use. You can keep going on about that but I will stop here.

Did you read the part where I said if someone could afford several thousand dollars a year on cellphones, then the initial cost is not going to be the biggest burden? I list prices only to point out how trivial comparisons are when the difference between having something one wants is a hundred dollars over the next 24 months, or about $4 a month (~14 cents a day). There are plenty of reasons I can think of where a certain app or way of interacting with a device would be worth much more per day.

Some people don't want to run custom software or require any of those user-liberation features. But this is not my argument to sort out -- ask the original poster. I'm not interested in comparing hardware specs because they're pointless in everyday use. You can keep going on about that but I will stop here.

Then Iphone 4s is the way to go.

OP seems like a noob in the phone world and in according to the majority of iOS consumers they can vouch that iOS is more user Friendly than Android.  For me I would never spend 200$ initial cost for a phone even if you could afford to pay a thousand a year.

My data plan for 2 GB amounts to 18/month  (With a special discount)

Text messaging is 10/month (YOu can literally port txt message via google voice and eliminate the plan all together)

But as the pertinent question onhand is whether or not a smart phone is worth it is up for your own personal debate.

1. Do you like to play portable games a lot?

2. Do you like to facebook a lot?

3. Do you like to use twitter a lot?

4. Do you like Apps in general a lot?

5. Do you like to go on the internet a lot

6. Do you like to read on your phone a lot?

7. Do you like to use GPS a lot?

8. Do you like to use a camera a lot?

9. Do you like to use youtube a lot? 

All of those features are packed into one single phone.. For me I can say it is worth it to an extent.  (IF you actually use up your data every month)

IF so then judge whether adding in a data plan and the "initial cost" is worth it or not.  bookeep your own budget and see if adding it into your financial outlaid every month is worth the hassle.

I think you should do more research on smart phones OP....

Not everyone is able or eligible for discounts. You are paying less through unconventional methods, not because others are stupid enough to pay more. Look up carrier plans for yourself.

The condescending tone towards iOS users is unwarranted. You're more or less a "noob" in other ways so drop the high-brow nonsense.

Let's do some basic book keeping

OP neglected to tell us his/her wireless service provider so I will use AT&T as an example.

Cheapest data plan is 20$/month for 300 MB

Assuming OP wants text, I would add in that 20$ for unlimited. 

That is 40$ a month right there and adding in your voice plan would amount to something about what... 90$/month?

For two years that would amount to 2,160$ and adding the Iphone 4s' initial price in there  would equal to 2359$ for two years.

OP, do your research on Smartphone and what they are capable of and then look at the outlaid every year to see if it worth it. Going by your post, you like the camera, the data and the design... For me that is not enough to warrant the huge expense over two years.

20$ a month for 300 MB is not worth it in my opinion. It is enough for some facebooking/twitter/web browsing and what not but if you are planning to use pandora, youtube or any streaming sites often then it is a no go unless you have access to wifi networks often. 

Guest monkeyinabarrel

I don't know why people are jumping the gun for an Iphone 4s when there are much better android alternatives out there. For example, The Samsung Galaxy S2 or etc..,

Probably because with the iphone you're guaranteed a standard quality. People are always jumping the guns on Apple for releasing a new phone every year but other companies *cough* HTC *cough* are popping out smart phones faster than kpop pops out a new group.

iPhone:

Guranteed 2 iOS upgrades (looking at their past track record

It's very fast (my htc thunderbolt can be soo slow at times!)

Accessories (an overlooked but definite advantage over every other phone on the market; so many choices)

Guest heejinnnn

I have an iPhone 4 and will honestly say that I don't think it is worth it. 

For Verizon, the iPhone just costs more monthly, especially for the insurance package; in my opinion the insurance is necessary because the iPhone (compared to lesser trendy smart phones) is more prone to being stolen. Not only that, iPhones tend to be more fragile (you know what I'm talking about)...

It is just so limited in terms of customization and my iPhone specifically has been very problematic lately.

I seriously can't wait until my contract is up ):

Guest Tonyc402

Probably depends what you want. Apple doesn't have the customization like Android does to really make it your own , while Android has a fragmentation issue when it comes firmware updates compared to Apple(Hence why i got myself a Galaxy Nexus as I am gaurenteed official updates ). In terms of apps, of course Apple takes the cake but Android really isn't that far off .

Guest AiMango

The thing about having a smartphone is that you will never get lost AND if you are a traveller or want to find a place to go on the spot, you have yelp, google maps, and foursquare. you will start feeling very connected with everyone -all- the time. I mean, people used to text each other all the time, but now you can tweet, fb msg, go on skype, etc. all on a smartphone.

Dont even get me started on the apps. There are so many available these days, companies that provide mobile apps of their websites are awesome.

Now these benefits that I'm mentioning may not be necessary if youre a student lets say. I mean.. youre at school most of your day so what kind of getting lost will you really get into? And since youre at school most of the time, you probably have wifi everywhere (unless your school sucks lol) so you really dont need the data plan. So you can instead get an ipod touch or some wifi device running a popular mobile os if you want to get into these things. personally, im a student doing an internship right now so i have a ton of free time, and my phone bill is paid by my company so im covered there too.

So it really depends on your needs and if you think the money is worth spending.

Archived