[Drama 2012] Syndrome 신드롬

creidesca

[jTBC] HanHyeJin, SongChangUi, ParkGunHyung, JoJaeHyun, KimYooSuk...

Syndrome | 신드롬

201202071117526725.jpg

201202071115366716.jpg

Homepage: http://drama.jtbc.co.kr/syndrome/

dramawiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Syndrome

Starring: Han Hye Jin, Song Chang Eui, Park Gun Hyung, Jo Jae Hyun, Kim Yoo Suek, Kim Sung Ryung, Uhm Hyo Seun, Im Won Hee, Yoon Ji Min, and others.

Airs Mon-Tues @ 8:45PM starting 2-13-12

SYNOPSIS (credits to dramawiki)

A medical thriller drama set in the world of neurosurgery. A family of surgeons with complicated ties perch at the top of the hospital hierarchy, with son Cha Yeo Wook deciding to follow in his parents' footsteps by becoming a neurosurgeon. Lee Hae Jo is a talented intern who joins the department despite having a less priviledged background than Yeo Wook, and the two develop a bickering friendship while the mysterious doctor Kang Eun Hyun also shows an interest in Hae Jo.

English Subtitles at

Darksmurfsub.com

CAST

Main

nhnsvc.jpg

Han Hye Jin as Lee Hae-jo (age 27)

nhnsvc2.jpg

Song Chang Eui as Cha Yeo-wook (age 28)

175791.jpg

Park Gun Hyung as Kang Eun-hyun (age 31)

175794.jpg

Jo Jae Hyun as Cha Tae-jin (age 57)

175796.jpg

Kim Sung-ryung as Oh Eun-hee (age 54)

175798.jpg

Kim Yoo-suk as Min Sung-joon (age 54)

Supporting

dssyndrompeople07cxcddx.jpg

Relationship Chart (credits jTBC)

vsyndrompeopleall.jpg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kayana20

I am happy to watch a comeback drama with Han Hye Jin but please hoping they do not dumbie her character down and make it weak as they always do. May the whole main cast be able to act off each other or that ruins the storyline too.I feel it's so much like Brain it's freaking me out.Will it it live up to it? Also credeisca where can we see the relationship chart in english or is that a work in progress? Thanks for all the news

2nd teaser on youtube:

from enewsworld.com:

‘Syndrome’ Came before ‘Brain’

2012-02-07 18:42 l CJ E&M enewsWorld Choi, EunHwa

Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Writer Kim Sol Ji, who wrote the script for the upcoming jTBC drama Syndrome, pointed out just how her drama was different from KBS2’s Brain.

Kim attended the press conference for Syndrome on February 7 in Seoul with the stars of her drama.

Kim said to a question on what was the most attractive point about neurosurgery, “Actually, because Brain got a time slot first, it aired on television first, but I had already finished writing the first four episodes of Syndrome last spring.”

Kim added, “While I lived with the neurosurgeons to write my script, I became immersed in the mysteriousness of the brain. It was great to be opening up the hidden world of the brain. I also found out in my research that neurosurgeons are able to make new lives for other people from their fingertips but aren’t able to plan their own lives in the same way.”

About how her drama was different from Brain, she said, “It’s similar to Brain in that they both cover neurosurgeons. They may also seem similar because there are brain surgery scenes in both.”

Brain was a highly popular medical drama that aired its last episode in January. It told the story of how the cold doctor Lee Kang Hoon (Shin Ha Kyun) endured the quiet power struggles taking place in the hospital.

Kim went on to point out the differences, saying, “It’s not one character that’s leading the story, but a family. The problems the main characters are concerned about, their visions and their directions are all different.”

She added that it might be interesting to compare Syndrome with Brain while it airs.

Syndrome is a medical drama that tells of how neurosurgeons forgive the greed and hate they hold against each other and learn about the true meaning of family. Its first episode will air on February 13.

from enewsworld.com

Song Chang Eui to Become a Real Doctor with ‘Syndrome’

2012-02-07 19:08 l CJ E&M enewsWorld Choi, EunHwa

Song Chang Eui will be playing a bona fide surgeon for the first time.

Song attended the press conference for jTBC’s upcoming drama Syndrome on February 7 with Han Hye Jin, Park Geon Hyeong, Kim Yoo Suk and Kim Sung Ryung.

On the question of how it felt to be acting in a doctor role, Song answered, “In my last piece, I was a doctor that only wore a doctor’s coat. This time, I’ll be able to be a real doctor: a neurosurgeon in realistic surgery scenes.”

Song previously acted as a doctor in the SBS drama Life is Beautiful.

Song continued, “At that time, the character just happened to be a doctor, but this time I’ll be a real doctor wielding a scalpel. I heard the lives of residents in neurosurgery are like those of soldiers, and I’m sure I can portray that.”

Song will be acting in the role of Cha Yeo Wook, who’s been a licensed neurosurgeon for one year. He was born into a family that already held many doctors, and has a warm heart and a perfect personality.

Syndrome is a medical drama that tells of how neurosurgeons forgive the greed and hate they hold against each other and learn about the true meaning of family. Its first episode will air on February 13.

from enewsworld.com

Park Geon Hyeong Pressured by Comparison with Shin Ha Kyun in ‘Brain’

2012-02-07 18:57 l CJ E&M enewsWorld Choi, EunHwa

Park Geon Hyeong certainly seemed to be pressured by his neurosurgeon predecessor, Shin Ha Kyun.

Park attended the press conference for the upcoming jTBC drama Syndrome on February 7 with the other stars of the drama.

Park answered to a question asking how he felt about being compared with Shin Ha Kyun, “I would be lying if I said I’m not pressured, but if I keep thinking about it I’ll get lost in those emotions.”

Shin Ha Kyun brought about a new syndrome with his highly popular role, the doctor Lee Kang Hoon, in KBS2’s Brain.

Park added, “But the Kang Eun Hyun character I act in and the Lee Kang Hoon character that Shin Ha Kyun acted in are two characters with completely different goals. [Kang Eun Hyun chooses] to become a doctor in order to unveil the secrets behind his birth.”

Kang Eun Hyun is a man who’s not interested in anything other than his patients and surgery. Eun Hyun is a fourth year resident, but is so talented that he’s already taking on major surgeries.

He’s also a perfect man who never so much as glances at women. He originally only concentrates on his work, but as the story progresses, his emotions change and he starts to enter conflicts with the other characters.

“I hope my acting will bear new light on the lives of neurosurgeons,” Park said. “In order to do so, I even try to have my acting confirmed by the neurosurgeon on set.”

So, Kim Sung Ryung plays Song Chang Eui's mom (Director of Anesthesiology)? And Jo Jae Hyun plays the husband/father (Neurosurgery)?

And does the Highlights EP 1 clips suggest that Kim Sung-ryung's character Oh Eun Hee not recognize her son or her husband after her brain surgery performed by husband?

Ah, so I guess that is what the writer meant when she says “It’s not one character that’s leading the story, but a family."

If anyone is able to answer:

It looked like Tae-Jin did something else besides the required to Eun-hee's brain. What were his intentions and did he get the desired effect? After waking from her operation, Eun-hee does not recognize her son, though it seems she knows she has a son. The same with her husband. If she didn't look down to his hospital name tag, she wouldn't have known who he was. And What did Tae-Jin do in the past?

Also what was the clash b/w young child patient's mom/Yeo-wook/Eun-Hyun/and another fellow colleaguet? b/w Yeo-Wook and Jae-Jo?

So, Tae-jin had experimented on someone in the past (before or while Eun-hee was pregnant with Yeo-wook). Eun-hee confronted him with it.

I'm guessing this was the test subject/the results: (the photo is actually of Tae-jin's mother)

001744344.jpg

But what had Eun-hee said during her brain surgery that triggered the past recollection? Now he's using his wife as a test subject too? Did his mistress suggest it to him? I know she knows what he did while performing the surgery.

Would that have occurred if Yeo-wook hadn't had Eun-hyun do surgery on the little boy? Did Tae-jin have a different plan for his wife, but changed plans with Eun-hyun out of the picture since Eun-hyun was supposed to assist with Eun-hee's surgery.

EP 03 Preview on

(starts at 0:14)

From perusing newsarticles in Korean (with help of Google Translate) regarding the 1st episode, after surgery, Eun-hee has problems with face recognition. She knows she has a son and a husband, but is unable to associate the face to the name.

Now I'm wondering whether Yeo-wook is Tae-jin's biological son. Also, in case many of us haven't established the connection, Im Won Hee, playing Oh Gwang-hee, is Eun-hee's brother/Yeo-wook's uncle I believe.

The medical terminology/abbreviations used in EP 1 can be found here

Thanks to the EP 3 preview clip, the term for Eun-hee's condition is: prosopagnosia. You can find more info on the disorder thru wiki

What is the point of Eun-hyun sending a piece of paper with that word anonymously to Eun-hee, based on the previews.

Hmm...James Min Sung-joon and Eun-hee were once in love? The two carry similar timepieces.

After paying close attention to what English I could discern from watching EP 2...both Yeo-wook & Hae-jo are currently interns! They're not even 1st year residents yet! I think Yeo-wook's "father" (putting "father" in quotes because the trailer for EP 3 seems to suggest that Min Sung-joon has a son, the word "son" coming out of Eun-hee's mouth to Sung-joon as she kneels before him; therefore, Tae-jin may not be Yeo-wook's father), Tae-jin, wants him to go to UCLA for his residency. Hmm, get the son out of the way so you can lead your other life w/ the mistress, eh? But what were those papers Eun-hee handed to Tae-jin? I think she knows Tae-jin is dispicable.

It didn't hit me till a bit later that a person suffering from prosopagnosia would not also recognize them-self. Then for Eun-hee to not recognize her first love, when likely she's been waiting to see him for the longest time. All she did was just nod at him.

I really liked Hae-jo's encounter with Min Sung-joon. After saving/stabilizing the elderly grandmother, he asked whether she was a N.S. (Neurosurgery) resident, to which she replied she was just an intern.

Can't wait for Monday to come!

You amazed me with your articulate findings, creidesca and you make watching this drama sub-less with ease. :D Most of the time I am clueless, especially with all those medical jargons used when the doctors performed their duties and during formal discussions.

I never thought of indulging into another round of medical drama after Brain but with such a strong cast, Syndrome seems like an appropriate drama to follow especially this has a stronger romance theme. :w00t:

I get the thrill of guessing which doctor is in the OT room – the small window of eye-contact that hardly tells who is who unless they speak! First episode is the hardest as I can never get through without scratching my head – identifying the characters. I notice the father and son has a similar double eye-lid but of course, one can easily differentiate the senior with the junior.

Same here, I do have a feeling that Tae-jin is up to something that defies medical morale (my guess) when he did the operation on EH. I am not comfortable with Dr. Mistress's character who seemed to be more interested in looking seductive rather than showcasing her medical skill…so far.

I like Yeo-wook and Hae-jo’s first encounter – a typical introductory bickering scenes but it has a tinge of cuteness despite being all serious. Did Yeo-wook demanded HJ to pay for his taxi fare since he had missed the ambulance trip back to his hospital? – guessing here! Any idea what was written in the slip that she gave him before he leaves?

Can wait to watch episode 2... :)

Guest monkeygirl

So, Tae-jin had experimented on someone in the past (before or while Eun-hee was pregnant with Yeo-wook). Eun-hee confronted him with it.

I'm guessing this was the test subject/the results:

*quoted image*

But what had Eun-hee said during her brain surgery that triggered the past recollection? Now he's using his wife as a test subject too? Did his mistress suggest it to him? I know she knows what he did while performing the surgery.

Would that have occurred if Yeo-wook hadn't had Eun-hyun do surgery on the little boy? Did Tae-jin have a different plan for his wife, but changed plans with Eun-hyun out of the picture since Eun-hyun was supposed to assist with Eun-hee's surgery.

i just watched episode 1 and saw that relationship diagram. hoping to clarify a few things for you

1) that photo is a photo of tae-jin's mom. she has neurofibromatosis which is genetic. in the flashback eun-hee desparately wanted a divorce and told him so she told him she found out about his mom so they must divorce. he told her that he didn't carry the disease (its 50/50 chance). tae-jin kneels down for her to accept him so that he can accomplish what he wants to do in his life (he came from nothing, she was a daughter of generations of well establish/known neurosurgeons).

2) we know that yeo-wook is NOT tae-jin's. he is the other surgeon's son (the one that returned to korea at the end of episode 1). in the flashback tae-jin specificallys said that they (himself and eun-hee) had never slept together.

3) the diagram shows that eun-hyun is actually tae-jin's son from a former lover (not the anesthesiology lover/mistress he has now) and i am not sure if they both are aware.

4) eun-hyun is the chief resident and supposedly pretty good surgeon so if he was in the surgery, tae-jin might have worried about getting caught. he purposely damaged an area of the brain that cause eun-hee's agnosia (loss of recognition) or maybe she has the subtype Prosopagnosia (loss of face recognition).

5) tae-jin doesn't want yeo-wook to succeed. he puts on a "good father" act but you can see him discouraging his 'son" in pursuing neurosurgery. he even told him to go study art like he wants to. also, he gave this agnosia to eun-hee on purpose. from the outside her surgery looks like its a success. and she is too proud so she will hide the fact of her new disability and quietly step down from being the chair of the hospital etc. tae-jin wants to take over.

anyone know where i can watch episode 2?

Thank you, so much monkeygirl! Figures why Tae-jin had looked up the two nerve functions on Eun-hee's brain map. I wonder how Tae-jin and Eun-hee got into a name-only marriage in the first place.

So, UCLA is actually for art? I can't believe Yeo-wook would actually ponder on the matter (EP 2). He doesn't seem to have a close relationship with his father like he does with his mom.

According to one of the translated articles above, actor PGH made the following statement: “[Kang Eun Hyun chooses] to become a doctor in order to unveil the secrets behind his birth.” How he will do that maybe we'll have an idea in the next 2 episodes. Also, before jTBC edited their cast page, the ages of the main cast were listed. Yeo-wook is 28, Eun-hyun 31. So likely Eun-hyun was conceived before Tae-jin married Eun-hee, I hope. Otherwise, it will be very strange.

And it's been quite some time, Felicia Soh! I hope the station/production don't cut down the # of expected episodes with the low ratings from the 1st 2 episodes. Suprisingly, I feel this drama has a lot to offer.

To answer your question about the money, I don't even know. I had thought the two had made a bet of some sort and she lost after examining the CT scan. But your thoughts might actually be right, since he wouldn't have money on him at the time. It was cute

how she got on the elevator staring at him and he didn't notice till moments later. Then she had to ask him back for the money since she didn't have any left for fare back

Oh, monkeygirl, does Hae-jo have some type of memory ability?

The drama has a twitter account! @syndrome_drama in case anyone would like to tweet their thoughts/support for the drama.

Archived