Paper Rosette Dress

Guest tinhieu

Guest tinhieu

tutorial inside~~~
Sorry if this is so nooby.... but I hope some of you like this. I made this in grade 12 art class.

It's been sitting in the basement since forever. hehe.

dress.jpg

It looks cool (does it? O__O), but It's pretty heavy. It contains about 400 rosettes.

The anorexic mannequin is soooo skinny.... so no one actually can fit it... lol.

art.jpg

You can try with different colours of paper to give an interesting look. Another way is to dilute watercolour or acrylic in a spray bottle and spray the flowers lightly.

The less water used, the better... so dilute the paint to an optimal concentration point.

art1.jpg

Crumple up the paper before using them. It makes it much easier since the paper becomes more flexibe.

This also gives texture. If you are not planning to colour the dress, use paper that has been printed on. This will give more texture instead of plain white paper.

art2.jpg

P1050666.jpg

P1050676.jpg

Apply the rosettes using a hot glue gun.

P1050675.jpg

Additional details such as a zippers can also be used.

Sew the zipper on before applying the rosettes with a hot glue gun.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Holy cow. I know you said it's small but what size is the dress? Is it for sale? :lol:

I've seen lots of images of dresses made of paper products (newspaper dresses, toilet paper dresses) and they always end up being very beautiful. This one is no exception! Seriously, good work, especially for a high school project. What is the base dress made of? Did you buy a dress in store and glue the paper to it or did you make the whole thing? I wish I had time to take on a project like this~

Guest oh_my_pizza

that's so pretty!! I don't have the patience to make that many roses haha xD

I have the same question as Malice_Kaiser too~

Guest tinhieu

Holy cow. I know you said it's small but what size is the dress? Is it for sale?  :lol:

I've seen lots of images of dresses made of paper products (newspaper dresses, toilet paper dresses) and they always end up being very beautiful. This one is no exception! Seriously, good work, especially for a high school project. What is the base dress made of? Did you buy a dress in store and glue the paper to it or did you make the whole thing? I wish I had time to take on a project like this~

Haha. Thank you! The waist is 54cm (~21 inches), height: ~60cm (it's a pretty skimpy dress...).... but unfortunately unwearable.

The base was made up of something like "bridal veil" material. I found it in the fabric store.... but I got weird looks from the old ladies. They were probably thinking "what is an asian boy doing here?!"  LOLOLOL

It's some sort of plastic.... but after I used the hot glue gun, the plastic also "glued" into place.

Definitely not a flexible dress either. More for the eyes than for the body... hehe^^

If I were to line the base with some cloth, it would probably be comfortable... but I am definitely not redoing this project.... >___<

P1050705.jpgHere's the material.

wow, so pretty.

If this was presented in a university fashion show of clothes made of recycled material, this would have won a prize. Seriously. >_<

Thanks. It was my last project of the year. I got 100 at least. ^^

Darn that must've taken you ages to make! Good job, I'm impressed.  :lol:

Yeah.... I watched East of Eden while making the roses.

I literally made it with tears. lol.

I had to use my spring break productively... ^__~

The dress is beautiful! It must have taken you a long time. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make 400 rosettes!

Thankssssss. It did take really long. But watching dramas while making them isnt so bad. hehe^^

it's like an awesome project runway dress! make a beautiful dress using only paper! really nice

Recycle Reduse Reuse!

Earth friendly! eheh^^

that's so pretty!! I don't have the patience to make that many roses haha xD

I have the same question as Malice_Kaiser too~

Thanks! You get used to it.

It's like mass production. But I got more efficient over time. hahaha.^^

400?! How long did it take you?? It looks really cool btw. I bet all your friends were very jealous of you haha. And what made you decide to do this? Or like how did you get your idea? 

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Haha. Thank you! The waist is 54cm (~21 inches), height: ~60cm (it's a pretty skimpy dress...).... but unfortunately unwearable.

The base was made up of something like "bridal veil" material. I found it in the fabric store.... but I got weird looks from the old ladies. They were probably thinking "what is an asian boy doing here?!"  LOLOLOL

It's some sort of plastic.... but after I used the hot glue gun, the plastic also "glued" into place.

Definitely not a flexible dress either. More for the eyes than for the body... hehe^^

If I were to line the base with some cloth, it would probably be comfortable... but I am definitely not redoing this project.... >___<

Aw darn, I'm disappointed to hear it's not wearable :P Still, awesome work, and lol @ the fabric store ladies staring. I'm not surprised, to be honest. :lol: I don't blame you for not wanting to redo such a strenuous project. But in the future, if you ever decide to do a fabric version, you got some potential buyers over here on soompi B) Though to be honest, for a dress that labor intensive, you'd have to charge a fortune~

Guest tinhieu

400?! How long did it take you?? It looks really cool btw. I bet all your friends were very jealous of you haha. And what made you decide to do this? Or like how did you get your idea? 

Thank youuuu~~

Quite a while....(that's an understatement).

Jealous? No. They probably think I have toooo much time on my hands. hehe.

I actually got this idea from my friend. She was using '5 Gum' wrapper to make a rose..... then my idea-light-bulb went ding!

At first I was gonna amke them with the gum wrapper (you knnow how the "5 Gum" wrapper are shiny and colourful?)... but they were so small... probably need 4000 of those..... so ditched that idea. lol

I made something else with the 5Gum wrappers though. Maybe I'll post it later.^^

Aw darn, I'm disappointed to hear it's not wearable :P Still, awesome work,  and lol @ the fabric store ladies staring. I'm not surprised, to be honest.  :lol: I don't blame you for not wanting to redo such a strenuous project. But in the future, if you ever decide to do a fabric version, you got some potential buyers over here on soompi B) Though to be honest, for a dress that labor intensive, you'd have to charge a fortune~

hahaha. yeah!

I guess the "Time is money" idiom makes comes into play.^^

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm so envious, that's an incredibly gorgeous dress. What inspired you to make it? Wow. I'm in loveeee with it. Sigh, if only my inspiration bulb went ding like your when I took fashion class!

• 10 months later...
Guest eunsole

This is really nice! You mentioned it wasn't wearable but it still is very inspirational! I wonder how it would be to make the rosettes out of fabric instead of paper too. Maybe it will be more wearable? Maybe I'll try this project out one day. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived