Are you studying a foreign language these days?

Guest koreawithu

Guest koreawithu

I have worked for a foreign company and there are lots of people who are bilingual or trilingual in my company. Recently, learning foreign languages came to be the fashion. One of my coworkers is learning Korean and french now because she wants to understand K-pop songs and to communicate with her french boyfriend. Whatever the reason may be, I think learning languages is challenging and intriguing. I have a plan to study German or Chinese I heard both of languages are very difficult to learn but i'd like to study hard to master it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend and I are seriously thinking of studying Greek because that seems to be the language that unlocks the key to everything and you become more knowledgeable.

But right now, we don't know jack and it's mainly because it's all Greek to the both of us.

actually studying 3 if I count English, since its required.

I'm Chinese, but i don't know the grammar aspects

of it; therefore I'm studying mandarin.

I am also studying Japanese.

I do agree that they are intriguing or why would I be studying so many.

is it true that studying languages sharpens your mind?

I'm already bilingual in English and Lao/Thai (If you know to speak one one, you'll to speak the other). I'm currently studying French, because I NEED 2 years of a language to graduate. Anyway, learning a language fascinates me because it's unfamiliar territory. Once you start learning the language, you start absorbing the culture. 

Studying French has it's uses too, which would be the other reasons why I'm studying it. French is the 2nd most used language in the business world (which will be a field I'll be majoring in), over 50% of English comes from French. If I know my French, it'll help me greatly with SAT and other standardize tests, which use a higher level of vocabulary and most of those words derive from French. 

I'm studying Japanese, because the upper management of my work place are all native born Japanese. They understand English fine, but responding is difficult.

Studying Japanese also reminded me of how poor my reading abilities in Chinese are, so I've also come to start brushing up on that too. You can only imagine the difficulties in learning kanji and hanzi, it's like every word you learn has 3+ pronunciations and meanings :sweatingbullets:

Guest nobody knows

I already can speak Mandarin, but I'm working on learning how to read and write it right now because I wanna be able to survive in Taiwan without my mom holding my hand lmao OTL

Guest Yishi_x

I learned French and German in school up to GCSE level.

I'm Mandarin, but my skills are pretty appalling so at the moment, I've started to learn Korean - since it has an alphabet and is phonetic, I'm finding it SO much easier than learning Chinese! T_T

I'm naturally trilingual. Well, now only bilingual ever since I dropped one a few years ago. I've been studying Japanese for almost 3 years & I'm planning to sit for JLPT this year, if possible. Also, I started to gain interest in Korean language since I visited the country about a year ago. My mum would like me to study Mandarin & I'm also planning to pick up French, German & Spanish.

Archived