rubie

Hwang Jung Min, Uhm Jung Hwa

New Movie Opens January 19, 2012

Dancing Queen 댄싱퀸 2012

Hwang Jung Min & Uhm Jung Hwa

Official Website / Facebook / TRAILER

Twitter Uhm Jung Hwa / Hwang Jung Min

dancingQueen_1.jpg

Comedy. Directed by Lee Suk-hoon. Housewife Jung-hwa (Uhm Jung-hwa) is married to low-earning lawyer Jung-min (Hwang Jung-min). One day, her daughter abruptly tells her she doesn’t want to live like Jung-hwa, as a housewife. Shocked by the comment, Jung-hwa decides to fulfill her long-lost dream to become a famous singer, trying out for a reality TV talent show. Meanwhile, her husband Jung-min becomes a candidate for Seoul mayor through a rare opportunity, not knowing what Jung-hwa has been doing behind closed doors.

'Dancing Queen' for Those Who Cherish Dreams

Source: CJ E&M enewsWorld, Lee, JinHo

dancingQueen_2.jpg

As election season approaches, more people start talking politics. In Seoul, general elections are scheduled for April, while the presidential election is in December. With such major elections happening within the year, more of the general public begins discussing topics that are normally shelved or put off to the side.

As of late, the average person′s desire to have good politicians has been spreading to every sector of the country, and the film industry is no exception.

The upcoming film Dancing Queen is attempting to get a head start on the race.

dancingQueen_3.jpg

Plot

A woman, who has been dreaming of becoming a dance singer since her childhood, and a man, who dreamed of becoming a president, meet. But thanks to that thing we call reality, the former is a run-of-the-mill housewife, and the latter is an incompetent human rights lawyer. But one day, they have a golden opportunity: Running for the office of Seoul mayor and taking on a challenge to become a sexy dance singer. But the two opportunities unavoidably clash with each other. Yet ultimately the two help out each other to accomplish their dreams.

The Reason You Have to Watch ‘Dancing Queen’

The movie is centered on the story of Hwang Jung Min who causes quite a sensation in the political world by running for Seoul mayor. He is a human rights lawyer, with a strong Gyeongsang Province accent accent. Notably, the scene in which Hwang gives a speech was reportedly made based on the time the late president Roh Moo Hyun ran for election in Incheon in 2002. In this sense, it’s understandable to say the film leans toward being a political movie.

But director Lee Suk Hoon cleared this up by saying, “The similar scene was produced only because I just wanted to describe a good politician. This is not a political movie.” There′s a clear reason behind the director drawing this line: Dancing Queen is based on two things: Politician Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, a woman in her 40s dreaming of becoming a sexy dance singer.

dancingQueen_4.jpg

The story of the Seoul mayoral elections is crucial, but as the title Dancing Queen suggests, the film is more about middle-aged women who used to refuse to live like their mothers in their youth but ended up living like their mothers and losing their dreams while supporting their families.

The strong point of this movie lies in drawing empathy from both genders by juxtaposing a man’s ambition with a woman’s dream. At this point, the barrier between men and women is pulled down.

On top of it, the two leads succeeded in convincingly portraying the characters with their real names. The two who joined hands for the first time in seven years since starring in All For Love, showed their perfect harmony like a real couple. Besides the two leads, characteristic performances by Lee Han Ui and Jung Sung Hwa spiced up the movie.

A let-down of this movie is...

There is no such a thing as a perfect work in the world, but it was admittedly hard to find flaws in this movie.

One Line Summary/Score

You have to watch this movie if you have some kind of longing in your heart. ★★★★☆

Photo credit: Dancing Queen

The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of enewsWorld or its affiliated networks.

201202070941231003_1.jpg

th_dQ_1.jpg th_dQ_2.jpg th_dQ_3.jpg th_dQ_4.jpg

th_dQ_9.jpg th_dQ_9-1.jpg th_dQ_13.jpg th_dQ_10.jpg

th_dQ_11.jpg th_dQ_12.jpg th_dQ16.jpg th_dQueen_14.jpg

Links: Nate / hancinema.net

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 8, 2011

Hwang Jung Min in a Comedy Role for "Dancing Queen"

by: jbarky soompi.com

cdb5df6a8013fd62cd937068bae00b6d_large.jpg

The actor Hwang Jung Min will play a comedy role in the film “Dancing Queen.” He will play a lawyer who barely passes the bar exam after 8 tries. Although he is an average and modest living lawyer, through circumstance he gets the chance to run the Mayor of Seoul

The film will show Hwang Jung Min playing against the typical image of a Mayor. Instead of keeping a graceful composure, he will show a more peasant-side and appeal to Seoul citizens.

47040111868ee52d8b8aad5019280328_large.jpg

Representatives of the film have stated that the after watching Hwang Jung Min act, they thought to themselves, ‘This scenario was made for Hwang Jung Min.’

Hwang Jung Min stated, “I think a good movie is something that makes viewers have fun and be happy. The film staff was a lot of fun, and I had an entertaining time while filming ‘Dancing Queen.’ I believe the movie will make the people who watch it, happy.”

The film, “Dancing Queen” will be released in January of 2012.

jbarky is a senior editor for soompi.com. You can email him at barkjason@soompi.com, or follow his twitter.com feed at @jjbarky

Lee Hyo-ri and Gill make cameo appearances in new film

By
Sung So-young

Sexy diva Lee Hyo-ri and rapper Gill have made cameo appearances in a new film titled “Dancing Queen,” which is singer-actress Uhm Jung-hwa’s latest film and is due to be released early next year.

JK Film said on Dec. 8 that Lee and Gill, who are close friends of Uhm, were willing to be part of the film. Both Lee and Gill play foul-mouthed judges in a scene where Uhm tries her luck at “Super Star K,” the Korean version of “American Idol,” without telling her husband, who is running for Seoul mayor. Actor Hwang Jung-min (“Mobydik,” 2011) will pair up with Uhm as the candidate for the Seoul mayor’s office.

Lee and Gill already finished shooting the singing competition scene, according to the film production company.

“Dancing Queen” centers on the conflicting elements of Uhm’s life. On one hand, she must be an elegant and devoted wife to Hwang, who is in the political spotlight. But she also has a long-held dream of becoming a famous signer.

January 2, 2012

Uhm Jung Hwa Auditions In Front of Lee Hyori

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo

Uhm Jung Hwa attended a press preview and conference for her new movie, Dancing Queen, which took place on January 4, at 2:00 pm in Seoul along with director Lee Seok Hun and male lead Hwang Jung Min.

To the question, “Lee Hyori made a cameo appearance in the movie. Are there any anecdotes to share as you two are close friends?”

Uhm answered, smiling “When we filmed the audition scenes of Superstar K3, I was very nervous while enjoying the shooting. I felt more nervous because Lee is very charismatic even though she is my hoobae (junior).

272258_1.jpg

Source: Nate

In the movie, Uhm’s character auditioned for Superstar K3 and Lee Hyori appeared as a judge. Both of them were judges of the audition program in real life.

The scene caught eyes because Lee said spitefully, “You might turn 60 years old when you’re ready to debut as a singer.”

Uhm said, “Even though I was filming, I started to feel eager to pass the audition when I stood on the stage. Thanks to that, I enjoyed filming. I want to say thank you to Lee Hyori.”

“There are many scenes where my character is squabbling with her husband (Hwang Jung Min). While filming those scenes, I thought I wouldn’t be lonely if I could live like this. I thought, ′I wish I had such a husband who always sides with me,′” Um added.

Meanwhile, Dancing Queen is a comedy covering a story of a Seoul mayor candidate’s wife who debuts as a singer. It will premiere on January 19.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

43200165.2.jpg

201201110936351003_1.jpg

201201110936351003_2.jpg

201201110936351003_3.jpg

January 5, 2012

Singer Uhm Jung-hwa opens up about working with Lee Hyori

By Carla Sunwoo [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr]

20120105_1325691551_52323400_1.jpg

Singer-actress Uhm Jung-hwa, who plays the female lead in the movie “Dancing Queen,” has opened up about what it was like to work with singer Lee Hyori, who has a cameo in the film.

When asked how she felt about working with Lee, Uhm, speaking at a press conference for the upcoming movie held Jan. 4 at a CGV theater in Wangsimni, northern Seoul, said that she was quite nervous about the whole ordeal. “It’s supposed to be a comedic scene, but because I was in front of an entertainer whom I admire so much, I just kept thinking that I had to be serious and do well,” Uhm said.

The comedic film contains a scene in which Lee has a cameo as a judge on the reality talent show “Superstar K.”

At the press conference, Uhm also thanked Lee for appearing in the film and talked about the sense of competition between them. “After filming, I became more aware of how much I want Lee as my rival,” Uhm said.

Uhm, whose last album was released in 2008, also said she would return to music in May, without revealing whether she would be releasing another album or participating in a concert.

Lee, whose fourth album, “H.Logic,” was released last spring, is said to be releasing her fifth album this summer.

In the movie, Uhm plays the wife of a mayoral candidate who is secretly preparing to join a girl group. The male lead is played by actor Hwang Jeong-min and the movie is set to open in Korea on Jan. 19.

a216be20c287a3d499b220ad691ab9ae.jpg

156b2b54cfb6571ab7b2f4ef927512f0.jpg

2012010491007_2012010441251.jpg

January 11, 2012

Film's Mr. Serious turns to comedy

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com)

‘Dancing Queen’ star Hwang Jeong-min says he’s funny, laidback off-screen

2012011201001024300047151.jpg

It’s easy to mistake actor Hwang Jeong-min as serious.

His past roles on the silver screen have a lot to do with it. His recent (and impressive) filmography includes the Blue Dragon Award-winning crime thriller “Unjust” and last year’s conspiracy flick “Moby Richard.”

Yet sitting over his favorite chrysanthemum tea in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, Hwang does not resemble the passionate city desk reporter in “Moby richard simmons” nor the corrupt police detective assigned to fabricate a case in “Unjust.” Wearing a black and white striped sweater, Hwang is openly in awe of the “amazing taste” of his tea.

“I am a funny person off-screen, really,” the 41-year-old tells The Korea Herald. “I’ve been getting tired of those noir thrillers and crime dramas. And to many people’s surprise, I actually like watching romantic comedies, and wanted to do it for a long time. So my choice for the upcoming film says a lot.”

After a series of serious roles, Hwang chose a comedy for his first film of this year. Starring Hwang and popular singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa, “Dancing Queen” tells the story of a married couple who rediscover their long-lost dreams. While Uhm plays a housewife who in secret tries out for a reality TV talent show in the hope of becoming a singer, Hwang stars as Uhm’s husband and a low-earning lawyer who ends up becoming a candidate for the Seoul mayoral election ― after becoming a local hero by accidentally saving the life of a drunken man on a subway platform.

Notably, both of the characters are named after Hwang and Uhm’s real names. Hwang says his goofy lawyer character, named Hwang Jeong-min, resembles him the most of all the characters he has played. “I think it had a lot to do with being called by my real name while acting,” says Hwang. “It would very often make me feel as if I were just being myself, instead of playing a role. And I think I really was just being myself in a lot of the scenes, especially the ones where I make silly arguments with Uhm.”

20120111000536_0.jpg

Hwang Jeong-min poses for a photo prior to an interview with The Korea Herald on Tuesday. (Lee Sang-sub/The Korea Herald)

Hwang’s character inevitably conjures up the real-life story of the current Seoul mayor and lawyer Park Won-soon, who was elected as an independent candidate last year. “Well, it was just a coincidence,” says Hwang. “The real election took place out of the blue after we finished our shooting. So we were just shocked by what was happening and how it connects to some parts of our film. But that was all, really.

“I had no hard time playing a political character,” he continues. “No one can really become a mayoral election candidate by doing what my character does in the film. There are just too many coincidences and luck. The movie is a fictional story which is supposed to be funny ― not political. I understood that clearly and just tried to be out there and have fun.”

Hwang, who acted throughout high school and majored in it at university, started off as a theater actor in the 1990s. He made his official film debut in 2000, in director Lim Soon-rye’s band drama “Waikiki Brothers.” He won the Best Actor Prize at Blue Dragon Awards in 2005 for his engrossing performance as the kindhearted farmer who falls in love with a HIV-positive prostitute, played by actress Jeon Do-yeon, in “You Are My Sunshine.”

In 2007, he played a troubled club CEO who falls in love with a woman with a terminal illness during his brief stay in a nursing home in “Happiness,” and starred as a private detective in 2009 crime thriller “Private Eye.” “When I choose the films that I want to work in, I always just go for the stories (not the characters),” he says. “The narrative is the most important. I believe solid narratives automatically produce engaging characters.”

Of all his roles, Hwang recalls his turn as a gay man in director Kim In-sik’s 2002 queer film “Road Movie” as the most challenging. “I won several best new actor prizes for the role,” Hwang says. “But I wasn’t proud of my performance at all. I felt like my acting was a lie, because I could not completely feel what the character was supposed to be feeling. It took me a while to gain confidence in my performance after that movie. Now, I try to have fun as much as can with acting.”

Hwang is known for having a separate bank account which he uses to save money to treat his fellow film crew members to food and drinks. “No movie can be made alone,” Hwang says. “It’s team work and everyone’s effort really counts. I don’t think of it as anything special. I do it privately and never really talk about it. I don’t know how it becomes public so easily.”

Just like his film character who aims to become a city mayor, Hwang says he, too, has a second dream ― which he’d like to keep a secret. “I’d be delighted if my viewers ask each other what their dreams are or were after watching ‘Dancing Queen,’” Hwang says. “We are very often only concerned with our own desire and needs. But it would be meaningful to ask your 70-year-old mother what she wanted to be as a young girl, or what your friends are dreaming of for the near future.”

“Dancing Queen” opens in theaters on Jan. 18.

20120111000644_0.jpg

Hwang stars as a sloppy city mayoral candidate in his upcoming comedy “Dancing Queen.” (CJ Entertainment)

20120108_1326027593_67715600_1.jpg

201201051020776703_1.jpg

January 10, 2012

CINE21.COM FEATURES “DANCING QUEEN” STARS UHM JUNG HWA AND HWANG JUNG MIN

Posted by goodange couchkimchi.com

Cine21.com conducted an interview with Uhm Jung Hwa and Hwang Jung Min, who are co-starring in Dancing Queen; the movie will be released on January 19th.

Check out their accompanying pictorial for the online movie blog.

dqueen1.jpg

dqueen2.jpg

dqueen3.jpg

January 14, 2012

'Dancing Queen' Uhm Returns to Screen After Thyroid Surgery

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa returns to the silver screen with the movie "Dancing Queen," in which she plays a tough aerobics teacher. Uhm plays a woman who had to abandon her dream of becoming a singer after marrying her elementary school sweetheart, who turns out to be a dud as a husband.

As the film features numerous dancing and singing scenes, critics said it hardly represented a test of Uhm’s talent and must have been a walk in the park for her. The actress said this was why she had hesitated before accepting the role, lest audiences assume there was no difference between the actress and the role she inhabited. Accepting this as a challenge, she said she dug deeper into the character to wring out a stronger performance.

2012011400258_0.jpg

Uhm Jung-hwa

Uhm debuted in show business in 1993 and still remains popular two decades later. Approaching her mid-40s, she still gives idol groups a run for their money as a singer, while also commanding leading roles in dramas and movies as an actress.

"As I didn’t have any role models when I was younger, I remember thinking, 'So why not becoming a role model myself?'" she said. "Some younger actors say in interviews that they want to follow my example. So I seem to have achieved [what I intended to do, to a certain degree]," she said.

"You can't avoid getting older, so you don't need to lose confidence in yourself simply because of your age. Instead, it seems better to think about how you can lead a more wonderful life."

Although she usually plays women with strong characters, she considers herself a timid person. "Whenever I complete a project, I often find myself filled with regrets and worries," she added.

She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer but fully recovered after surgery last May. Uhm said she felt a little afraid leading up to the surgery, but rather than being discouraged by the pain she was experiencing, she made up her mind to dedicate herself to helping others by inspiring them.

"I want to use my talent and influence in a meaningful way," she said.

January 18, 2012

Joo Won buys 20 tickets to support Uhm Jung Hwa’s new movie, 'Dancing Queen'

by *Miso* allkpop.com

20120117_Joo-Won.jpg

Uhm Jung Hwa‘s new movie ’Dancing Queen‘ was released in theaters nationwide on January 18th, and fans flocked to the nearest film house to watch her play the role of a wife-turned-singer/dancer.

After watching the movie, actor Joo Won praised Uhm Jung Hwa for her impressive acting. “‘Dancing Queen’ was really fun to watch!!!,” he tweeted. “I want many people to watch the movie, so I bought 20 tickets in advance!! I”ll give them out to the people around me~^^ Dancing Queen Fighting! Jung Hwa nuna, I love you♥”.

Joo Won then shared a selca of himself holding the 20 tickets to his face. Touched by his enthusiasm, Uhm Jung Hwa tweeted back, “Joo Won!!! ahahaha. Nuna will buy you delicious food!!!”

Source + Image: Joo Won’s Twitter, Uhm Jung Hwa’s Twitter

January 19, 2012

Smiles for Uhm Jung Hwa, Tears for Uhm Tae Woong

With the Lunar New Year just around the corner, competition among four Korean movies is heating up as companies are scrambling to capitalize on the holiday season box office. So far, two movies have struck a chord with audiences while the other two have fallen short.

According to the data released by the Korean Film Council’s Compiled Ticket Computer Network on January 19, Dancing Queen came in second by drawing 45,779 moviegoers on its first day, hot on the trail of Puss in Boots with 46,136.

Unbowed achieved strong results despite its weakness of low-budget movie by ranking third with 30,204. Pacemaker came in fifth (22,364) while Neverending Story ranked ninth (11,080).

2012011908393326583_1.jpg

With the result so far, those affiliated with Dancing Queen and Unbowed have been all smiles while Pacemaker and Neverending Story backers have been disappointed.

In the competition between sister and brother, Uhm Jung Hwa’s Dancing Queen triumphed, while Uhm Tae Woong’s Neverending Story was overshadowed.

But it′s too early to make a hasty conclusion based on the ticket sales of a single day. In addition, distributers of Pacemaker and Neverending Story have been pouring their time and energy into promoting their respective movies.

But the problem is, the prospects for those movies just aren′t that bright. Puss in Boots may remain strong for a while, and another Hollywood movie, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, the sequel to the 2008 hit The Journey to the Center of the Earth is set to hit theaters on January 19, and as already ranked third in ticket reservations (as of January 18).

In addition, Unbowed seems to have taken an upturn thanks to audience reviews and Dancing Queen has been well-received for its solid quality. As such, the two movies have good chance of enjoying a peak over the holiday weekend.

Which film are you going to watch over the holiday weekend?

January 19, 2012

Dancing Queen

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

201202091351171003_1.jpg

Jung-min (Hwang Jung-min) becomes a candidate for Seoul mayor. Jung-hwa (Uhm Jung-hwa) is his wife who finds a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a singer. However, Jung-min's decision to run for a mayor endangers her dual life as a singer and wife of a politician. Directed by Lee Suk-hun. Runs 124 minutes. Rated 12 and over. In Korean.

twitlogo12.jpg

January 20, 2012

20120120dp_dQ.jpg

"Dancing Queen" Reaches #1 on Box Office in Two Days

by: lee23j on soompi.com

On January 20, Uhm Jung Hwa and Hwang Jung Min's new movie, "Dancing Queen," was ranked at #1 on Korea's box office. The movie gathered 45,779 people on the opening day and 63,884 on the second day according to Korean Film Council's Box Office database.

"Dancing Queen" is off to a great start and expecting to continue its streak as Lunar New Year's Holiday is beginning this weekend. The film has attracted the most viewers of all Korean films that opened on January 18, including "Unbowed," "Pace Maker," and "Never Ending Story."

Following "Dancing Queen" on Box Office is "Journey 2: the Mysterious Island," starring Dwayne Johnson. "Journey 2" opened a day later than "Dancing Queen," attracting 46,223 people. In third place of this week's Box Office is "Unbowed," with 44,976 viewers. "Puss in Boots" is ranked 4th with 47,744 viewers. Following "Puss in Boots" are "Pace Maker" and "Never Ending Story" with 25,792 and 23,020 viewers each.

January 21, 2012

Uhm Jung-hwa hits it big with Dancing Queen

Via Hankook Ilbo by girlfriday dramabeans.com

20120118_1326868637_17447900_1.jpg

Here’s a look at the first big movie hit of the new year, the feel-good comedy Dancing Queen, starring Hwang Jung-min as a Seoul mayoral candidate and Uhm Jung-hwa as his wife who still hasn’t given up her dream to become a singer, well into her ajumma years. How cute. I love that they turned pop diva Uhm Jung-hwa into a homely-looking ajumma who dreams of being… well, Uhm Jung-hwa, the real-life version.

Hwang Jung-min plays a poor humanitarian lawyer who one day does a good deed and saves someone on the subway tracks. He gains some media attention and catches the eye of political backers, who decide that he’s the perfect guy to be their candidate for mayor. Suddenly there’s a media spin on everything in his life, like turning his bike-riding habit into a noble sacrifice for the environment. But the big kink in the campaign happens when they realize who his wife is…

Enter Uhm Jung-hwa, regular ajumma by day, popstar wannabe by night. She refuses to give up on her dream of becoming a singer, insisting on trying out for reality shows (featuring cameos by Lee Hyori and Leessang’s Gil as bewildered judges), despite everyone telling her that her time has passed. But she sticks with it, and actually starts to make something of her dream diva career (or adult-idol, as the movie calls it), just as her husband starts to be scrutinized as he runs for public office. Hijinks, they ensue.

It’s the perfect storm as far as casting goes, and I love the ajumma-gets-her-groove-back premise. Looks like a good time to be had by all. Dancing Queen hit number one at the box office opening weekend, and is playing in theaters now.

January 25, 2012

20120125dp.jpg

Movie 'Dancing Queen' Dominates Holiday Box Office

CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung

The film Dancing Queen starring Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, ranked no.1 at the holiday season box office and is quickly approaching the one million mark.

According to the data released by the Korean Film Council’s Compiled Ticket Computer Network on January 24, the movie drew 274,032 moviegoers to theaters on January 23, bringing the total number of audience members to 906,860.

The movie came in second on its first day of January 18, and has held onto the first spot since January 19.

The movie Unbowed has also become a sensation. Having come in third on its first day (January 18), the film has remained in second since January 20. The accumulated number of audience stood at 672,207 as of January 23.

Photo credit: Dancing Queen

Reach reporter Oh MiJung on Twitter @isyutar!

January 25, 2012

'Dancing Queen' and 'Unbowed' Fare Well Over Holiday Weekend

F120125_003.jpg

The movies Dancing Queen and Unbowed fared well while Pacemaker and Neverending Story came short during the Lunar New Year holidays.

According to the data released by the Korean Film Council’s Compiled Ticket Computer Network on January 25, Dancing Queen reigned at the top by drawing 1,104,390 moviegoers (totaled at 1,228,384) to 535 theaters across the country during from January 20 to 24. The movie became the first to exceed the one million mark among films released during the holiday season.

Unbowed, based on a 2007 ‘crossbow terror’ incident, came in second by drawing out 813,532 audience members (totaled at 906,895) to 456 theaters nationwide during the same period. At the time of release, it was screened only on about 250 theaters, but the number of theaters has increased to 456 on the back of positive reviews.

Hollywood 3D adventure movie, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island came in third at the holiday box office with 663,152 (totaled at 709,387) on 398 theaters, followed by Puss in Boots and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which brought in 566,796 (totaled at 1,479,143) and 313,070 (totaled at 7,348,712) viewers, respectively.

After all, Korean movies were successful at the holiday box office, beating out Hollywood movies.

But other Korean movies came short of expectations. Pacemaker ranked sixth by drawing 267,277 (totaled at 333,673) to 481 theaters during the holidays while Neverending Story came in eighth with 155,914 (206,311) on 267 theaters.

Meanwhile, Dancing Queen tells the story of a human rights lawyer who runs for Seoul mayor and his wife who pursues her lifelong dream of becoming a dance singer. Unbowed follows the story of a man who challenges the court, based on the true event which occurred five years ago.

Photo credit: Dancing Queen, Unbowed

Korean movies beat Hollywood blockbusters over Lunar New Year

By Carla Sunwoo [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr] http://koreajoongangdaily.com

Korean films “Dancing Queen” and “Unbowed” topped box office sales over the Lunar New Year holiday, coming in first and second place, respectively, and beating out several foreign movies. The two films combined attracted 42.7 percent of cinema patrons from Jan. 20 to Jan. 24.

“Dancing Queen,” a comedy starring Uhm Jung-hwa and Hwang Jeong-min, was shown in some 535 cinemas nationwide, according to statistics from the Korean Film Commission released on Jan. 25. It tells the story of the wife of a mayoral candidate who secretly prepares to join a girl group.

A total of 1,104,390 people watched the film from Jan. 20 to Jan. 24, the commission said. Overall, 1,228,384 people have watched the film since it was released on Jan. 18.

The runner-up “Unbowed” stars Ahn Sung-ki, and during the long weekend, some 456 theaters showed the film to a total of 813,532 people. The film also opened on Jan. 18, and to date, it has sold 906,895 tickets.

Hollywood blockbuster “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island,” starring Dwayne Johnson and Michael Caine,” came in third place in the commission’s statistics.

January 26, 2012

Dancing Queen Reaches 1.5 Million Viewers in 9 Days

by: animalcrackers via soompi.com

ec1728a3fa352e37f49be2999da2fe64_large.jpg

In just nine days, Uhm Jung Hwa's movie, "Dancing Queen," has brought in 1.5 million theater goers!

The movie hit theaters on January 18, and according to survey results released on January 27, "Dancing Queen" ranked second place in the box office, recording 109,353 people in one day on the 26th. In total so far, 1,501,677 people have seen the movie.

"Dancing Queen" is about Uhm Jung Hwa who receives a singer casting offer while her husband is campaigning for the position of Seoul Mayor. She eventually takes the offer and begins to lead a double life as a dancing queen and the wife of a politican.

"Dancing Queen" is second to "Broken Arrow," which ranked first in the box office with 113,339 theater goers on the 26th. In third was "Puss In Boots."

Following in fourth was 3D animation film, "Korea's Dinosaur 3D," and in fifth was "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island." "Mission Impossible," "Pace Maker," "Never Ending Story," "We Lived in the Zoo," and "Millennium" followed in ranking.

Archived