Shoegazing

odaesan

Shoegaze thread
I know most of the people here don't listen to it, but I'm hoping to find at least one person who does listen to it.

I really am missing the music. I've been missing it since the Big Sonic Heaven radio show went off the air again.

There were bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Catherine Wheel, Sonic Youth, and Cockteau Twins on it, but now it's gone.

Is there anyone out there who also listens to Shoegaze music?

I know most of the people here don't listen to it, but I'm hoping to find at least one person who does listen to it.

I really am missing the music. I've been missing it since the Big Sonic Heaven radio show went off the air again.

There were bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Catherine Wheel, Sonic Youth, and Cockteau Twins on it, but now it's gone.

Is there anyone out there who also listens to Shoegaze music?

....Sort of. You might find this a mismatch of two genres that are the complete polar opposite of each other, but lately I've been digging Black Metal bands with a lot of Shoegaze elements to their music (They're calling it "Blackgaze" lol). Not sure if the Black Metal aspect would mesh well to your liking, but give these bands a listen:

Lantlôs - These Nights Were Ours (From Germany)

Dopamine - Melting (China)

Alcest - Percées De Lumière (France)

Amesoeurs - Heurt (France. Done with female clean vocals instead of the usual Black Metal vocals)

An Autumn for Crippled Children - I Beg Thee Not to Spare Me (Netherlands)

And while I don't think these next guys are Blackgaze per se, they have Post-Rock elements, and since Post-Rock and Shoegaze go hand-to-hand...:

Agalloch - Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (U.S. One of my favorite bands to listen to as I nod off to bed. 0:00-2:50 = amazing)

Enslaved - Essence (Norway. One of the best bands I've ever heard since discovering them about a year ago. Beautiful opening, and moments like 2:50-3:35 sends chills down my spine)

Nachtmystium - Every Last Drop (U.S. This band is where I get my screen name from, lol. Also, this is easily one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard)

Other than that, all I know is Lush:

Lush - Superblast!

I also hear Mono from Japan is pretty good too:

Mono - Yearning

I've never heard of Blackgaze.

That song "Essence" does sound like Shoegaze for the opening.

Ah, yes, Lush. I miss hearing their music on the radio.

Oh, 15 minutes worth of song. I'll listen to it later. One thing I've learned from shoegaze is that it's an experience and one must be ready to enjoy every second of listening to the music. I think the longest song I've heard is 8 minutes.

I've been aware of it and been wanting to check it out. :I

Never really got to it though.

I've heard sonic youth (though I don't like 'em. ._.), and I've heard one cocteau twins song (which was really good).

I like Silversun Pickups though, they're shoegaze, right? Maybe? Something like it?

I've never heard of Blackgaze.

That song "Essence" does sound like Shoegaze for the opening.

Ah, yes, Lush. I miss hearing their music on the radio.

Oh, 15 minutes worth of song. I'll listen to it later. One thing I've learned from shoegaze is that it's an experience and one must be ready to enjoy every second of listening to the music. I think the longest song I've heard is 8 minutes.

It's a relatively new sub-genre.

And I find that to be true for any music with Post/Progressive/Experimental influences in general. They tend to be worth it though.

I've been aware of it and been wanting to check it out. :I

Never really got to it though.

I've heard sonic youth (though I don't like 'em. ._.), and I've heard one cocteau twins song (which was really good).

I like Silversun Pickups though, they're shoegaze, right? Maybe? Something like it?

You don't like Sonic Youth and you like Silversun Pickups and you dare call them Shoegaze?

You unwittingly insulted the genre.

Sonic Youth did some amazing things for the genre. Silversun Pickups is a bunch of fame-richard simmons that makes sound.

It's a relatively new sub-genre.

And I find that to be true for any music with Post/Progressive/Experimental influences in general. They tend to be worth it though.

Yeah, it definitely is interesting. I will listen to some more when I get the time.

You don't like Sonic Youth and you like Silversun Pickups and you dare call them Shoegaze?

You unwittingly insulted the genre.

Sonic Youth did some amazing things for the genre. Silversun Pickups is a bunch of fame-richard simmons that makes sound.

Yeah, it definitely is interesting. I will listen to some more when I get the time.

lolol,

My B. :P

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only Shallow is one of my favorite songs.

I think that I will listen to the full album when I get back from school. I haven't been listening to shoegaze these days. I should.

Thanks for visiting. This thread has been here for more than a year. It should be more active.

Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Âme

Lantlôs
- Pulse/Surreal

Dopamine - II

http://youtu.be/lLtwimiYGiw

Mono - Halo

Next few bands aren't necessarily Shoegaze, but their respective genres are related to Shoegaze in some way (either stylistic origin/derivative form) and richard simmons-it-all, good music deserves to be heard, and I figure if anyone on this forum is going to appreciate these bands, it might as well be the Shoegazers:

HaKU - アステリズム (Space Rock)

Tricot - G.N.S (Post-Rock/Math Rock)

School Food Punishment - You May Crawl (Post-Rock/Electronic Rock)

Boris - Hope (with Boris you actually get a mixed bag of genres. Sometimes it Shoegaze-ish, other times its Noise Rock, Stoner/Sludge/Doom/Drone Metal, Ambient, Psychedelic Rock, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWr2OwpSAQc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^It's alright. I enjoyed the song you posted above it more. ;)

Some more stuff I came across:

Junius (Art Rock/Space Rock/ Post-Metal) - All Shall Float (apparently everyone thinks the drummer looks like Zach Galifianakis, lol)

Gifts from Enola (Post-Rock) - Cherry

Intronaut (Progressive/Post-Metal) - Milk Leg

Cynic (Progressive Rock) - Carbon-Based Anatomy

Itsue (Post-Rock/Shoegaze) - Kotoba Ha Uso Wo Tsuku

Mass of the Fermenting Dregs (Post-Rock/Shoegaze) - If A Surfer

Ling Tosite Sigure a.k.a Rin Toshite Shigure (Progressive Rock/Post-Hardcore) - This is is This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7bVAsx8C4

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

Also, new HaKU and tricot singles are awesome:

HaKU - Masquerade

tricot - Omotenashi

• 2 weeks later...

@Black_Meddle I thought that you would like it more. It has that strong Shoegaze sound.

I just remembered this one:

It was a free download back when it was first released and I got it. I didn't know that it wasn't posted on YouTube for so long.

You're posting more progressive rock now. Do you have more Shoegaze-like songs?

Archived