How to Remove Write Protection from USB Drive??

Guest lil' zen

Guest lil' zen

Tried a few softwares nothing happened.
I have a USB drive that needs formatting, but I can't format it because it is write protected. Can anyone please help??

I have since tried like the Low Level Format, but it stopped halfway thru then the Neo 9 as well but it said it couldn't detect my USB when it was actually intact. Help??

I have the same problem with one of my USB drives. The one I have is Cenion DataStick Sport. After looking up (a while ago), I found out that that flash drive tends to have this problem. Once it gets to the "write protect' error, it is pretty much broken.

I tried several programs before and none fixed the problem completely. One of them (can't remember which one :/ ) fixed the problem temporarily. Then after a while, the problem came back.

I hope orangeman's recommendation will fix yours >.< mine is no hope. It works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. Can't rely on this one at all :[

Guest lil' zen

It didn't solve the write protection...>.<" I thought it did but towards the end of the formatting it came out with the error thingy again...

I thought it was the Vista problem so I tried it on the Windows 7 as well...but to no avail..

Still, thanks for your help orangeman ^^

Ask a friend with a Mac, or Linux based computer to try to format your USB in Fat32, or NTFS or you can start your computer from a Ubuntu Linux Live CD which you can learn how to make at http://www.ubuntu.com/download .

All you need is a CD burner and a blank CD-R disc to burn the Ubuntu Live CD to.

• 6 months later...
Guest EmanuelJars

I have a USB drive that needs formatting, but I can't format it because it is write protected. Can anyone please help??

I have since tried like the Low Level Format, but it stopped halfway thru then the Neo 9 as well but it said it couldn't detect my USB when it was actually intact. Help??

follow the steps

1.Open a new note pad file.

2.Copy this

cd\

reg add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies” /t Reg_dword /v

WriteProtect /f /d 0

3.save it as DISABLEWP.BAT

4.Then copy it to start up folder.

When you insert a pendrive it remove write protection.If it becomes.Or simply use any software which fix this kind of problem.You may try LONG PATH Tool.It may help you.Thanks.

• 11 months later...
Guest uniqboy

Try using Diskpart:
open command prompt
Type ‘Diskpart’-> ‘list disk’ -> ‘select disk ‘
->’attributes disk clear readonly’ ->exit
Done!
for details, check:
tech-soln.blogspot.in/2013/02/how-to-enable-or-disable-write.html

Archived