WHATS SO BAD WITH BOX HAIR DYES?

pachi_A

Professional hair stylists always say that box hair dyes are bad for your hair... but I don't get it. Aren't all hair dyes bad for your hair? Like if you bleach it, no matter if you did it yourself with a store bought dye or at a salon, wouldn't it still be taking color out of your hair and damaging it? I know a lot of people do their own hair with box dyes from the stores and are pretty pro at it. Their hair looks good and they know how to do things correctly without ruining their hair. So I don't know why so many professionals say its not good, and that everyone should go to a professional... ??? hmm...

And what's the difference between box dyes from say walmart and individual dyes from sallys? I dont understand why people say the dyes from sally's are better. Is it the quality? How can you define the quality of a hair dye? By the color it gives you? I mean isn't it still damaging your hair? I dye my hair red and I've found that the ion colors from sallys fade out much faster than say boxed garnier dyes.

Anywhoo, I'm just curious because I've always dyed my hair with box dyes or dyes from sallys and its always been fine and relatively healthy--since i dont really go out of my way to take care of my hair. I went to get my hair colored at the salon and I really didn't notice anything different, i mean, besides the fact that i had to pay like 500% more than i usually do for my hair color. lol.

So what are your thoughts on the topic?

Guest PEACELOVE123

i dye my hair w box dyes and they work good for me :) and idk i think they might just lie a little cuz i don't get it either but maybe sally's and professional hair stylists use better quality products?? idk

Guest monkeyinabarrel

Box dye vs Professional dye 

"Let me just say, the dye in the boxes use the lowest levels of chemicals they can get away with, that is why it is so cheap. As well as the colors they have inside. They say fancy names but they are all basically the same colors of brown, same colors of red, same colors of black, they just end up different on someones head because people dont know how to formulate correctly."

"And it makes your hair soft at the same time because professional color is full of conditioners and bees wax and healthy ingrediants for your hair thats why your hair feels soft afterwards."

"box dye is cheap so they cant afford what professional color companies can. Box dye puts the least ammount possible in there color just so you can be happy for a short amount of time. But really you are damaging your hair because the box dye has nothing good in it for your hair. your basically putting straight chemical on your hair, although its a lower level. its still basically straight chemical, mixed with how frequently you are doing it due to the lack of conditioners it holds and the lack of a even mixture to make the color last, you are damaging your hair."

the link is above and you can google the stuff up

Though I'd suggest going to salon if you're dying your hair many levels  lighter than your hair at the moment

other sites are saying professional dyes are stronger and can give u good color.

Professional hair stylists always say that box hair dyes are bad for your hair... but I don't get it.

Because as long as you're not buying $10 box dyes, you're going to them and you're paying them $50-100 or more plus tip per color monthly/bi-monthly

Secondly, don't believe all that "professional products have X oil in them and X conditioners and X product" crap. Although SOME salons may carry products with these ingredients in them, I can guarantee you that the majority don't bring in enough profit to spend money on these "luxury"/"high quality" products that contain these ingredients. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it's uncommon and it's naive to think all salons use professional products

Hair dye basically consists of:

Developer

Toner

Color

Bleach (if you're lightening)

Developers come in levels of 10, 20, 30+, etc.

I do agree with box hair dye being cheap, and therefore maybe uses level 10, no more than 15-20

And "professional" hair dye uses 30, 40+

The toner is just a "warm" (golden) or cool (ash) fix to a color

Like dark golden blonde is just a dark blonde with golden toner added to it

Guest soiia

^agree. While box hair dyes work for many people, if it doesn't work for you, you can always handpick separately the developer, the color and the toner when needed yourself. If you're going to dye your hair in a color that's quite a few shades lighter than your current color, you have the possibility to buy a higher volume developer than in the case of box hair dyes. I have dyed my hair in a salon before and like YOURS2ENVY said, it's possible they will use more high quality products, but of course, you pay for the price too. Once I paid 50$ for a dye and I could see the product they used were available in a hair care shop for the price of 20$. Save the money if you're not doing something extreme like going from black to blonde, and do it yourself or with the help of a friend :)

Guest Wingedbunny

I've been dying my hair with box dye for years now. I first dyed it black when i was 14 and after 2 or 3 years i dyed it back to blonde. Now i dye my hair every 3-4 months. I usually have a ton of my natural hair colour growing out because i'm to lazy to go to the store and pick out a new colour.

The only thing annoying about box dye is that the colour on the box never resembles the colour you get. Ofcourse after trying the same box a few times i know what colour gives what effect. The lightest blonde dye is still semi yellow coloured though. I only use dye by loreal though so i have limited experience.

As soon as i start dyeing my hair a lighter shade than i have at the moment i will go the salon to get the right kind of colour.

Guest happypiano

my friend just dyed my hair using palty's milk tea brown... now the top of my head is really light and my ends are still dark dark brown. she even started from the ends and worked up to the roots so i have no idea what happened. i'm probably not going to do box dyes anymore. =_=

does anyone know what i can do now? can i go to a salon and get it fixed or do i have to wait?

my friend just dyed my hair using palty's milk tea brown... now the top of my head is really light and my ends are still dark dark brown. she even started from the ends and worked up to the roots so i have no idea what happened. i'm probably not going to do box dyes anymore. =_=

does anyone know what i can do now? can i go to a salon and get it fixed or do i have to wait?

Hi happypiano,

Has your hair been previously dyed before? Hair that has been stripped and lightened previously will not react the same nor hold color the same way virgin hair/"new hair" does (your roots)

You can go to a salon if you'd like, but for the health of your hair (and scalp) I suggest you wait MINIMUM 7 days. It's even better if you can wait 14 days, just to ensure the natural oils coming from your scalp are being produced normally, as the dye could have burned the scalp even slightly

My suggestion to you if you don't want to spend a lot of money at a salon, is do your best to find the color of your ends and just dye the top half and blend it into the bottom. It'll be much easier than trying to lighten the ends.

Guest yujun

this happens because the heat from your head makes the dye near your scalp process faster than the dye not as near your scalp, it is called hot roots. it is not due to the quality of the dye, this will happen with ALL dyes that use peroxide. you'll have to dye the ends for at least 15 min~20 min longer than the roots or even more, there is no fixed timing, it depends on how much the dye reacts to the heat from the scalp/how hot your scalp is etc. also, to speed up the processing at the hair ends, bring up all the hair to the top of your head, wrap it up with a disposable shower cap or cling wrap and blow it with hot hairdryer, the heat will help the dye work faster on the hair. do not blow it without the cap/cling wrap, do not dry the dye out!

my friend went to dye her hair at a salon and it is extemely disappointing as her hairdresser messed up her hair, she ended up with hot roots which was very ugly as her roots were blond while the rest of her head was a dark brown, i would have expected hairdressers to know better ~.~ so going to a salon doesn't necessarily give you better results if the hairdresser sucks and doesn't even know the basics such as hot roots.

Guest tinatran_

IMO, boxed dyes from drugstores don't seem to work for me as well as dyes from stores like Sally's. I think dyes from Sally's are just stronger in terms of chemicals (possibly toner?), which could be even more damaging for your hair. And I also find that drugstore hair dyes don't last very long on me. I pretty much only buy dyes from stores like Sally's and dye it myself. It's cheaper to buy the product that salons use and do it yourself, rather than going to the salon and paying for their products and the labor. O__o

same thing happened to me! with palty and everything. lol. that's why i'm trying to do more hair research now to figure how to not mess up my hair if i do it myself. and thats also why i went to the salon haha.

Guest imsosorrybutiloveyou

i never knew there was a difference. hahaa. i just dont like the intense prices at salons.

but box dyes should be okay now cause theres prettia hair dye now right? and more companies are getting into foam dye, which is the least damaging to your hair. and i heard (although prettia is slightly more expensive) works pretty well. havent really read bad reviews for it. ;]

• 1 year later...
Guest colorfairy87

The biggest difference is that most box colors don't actually color the hair. A lot of them are metallic/vegetable based and they stain the outside of the hair cuticle more than actually color it. Professional color, via salon or beauty supply stores, are actual dye that will open the hair cuticle to place the color into the hair. Also with box color it is like playing roulette. All hair has an underlying pigment to it and dyes have base colors. When the two mix it determines the way the color comes out. Most box colors won't mention what base they use, which with any dying the results varies depending on the hair because all hair is different, but box color gives more random results. Professional colors will have their base color listed, which is generally Ash, Gold, and Neutral. With that information you can get a lot closer to your desired result and if it doesn't turn out how you expected it, it's a lot easier to adjust the outcome knowing the bases. Professional color is usually easier to remove from the hair as well, because it's not a stain, so that's another plus side.
I hope this helped explain it a little better.---<3 Color Fairy

Archived