Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soompi Ulzzang Contest Round 2 results are out! See who made it to the final round!

Michelle Kwan awarded Master's Degree in Law and Diplomacy from Tufts University's Fletcher

leon-leon- Posts: 924Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited June 2011 in current events
"Fields of Gold" & other classic video links
Michelle Kwan, two time Olympic medalist, five time World Champion and nine time US Champion Figure Skater, receives Master's Degree from Tufts University's Fletcher School of Diplomacy

5799956772_bb8c8e7483_o.jpg

Michelle Kwan surrounded by Dr. Peter W. Ackerman (left), chairman of the Fletcher School Board of Overseers and Fletcher School Dean Stephen Bosworth as she receives her master's degree May 22 from Tufts University's Fletcher School of Diplomacy.  (Photo courtesy The Fletcher School at Tufts University)

397105733.jpg
See full story at Chicago_Tribune_ 20110603

Very warm & heartfelt congratulations to Michelle who has grown up a hero and celebrity under a bright media spotlight and has never disappointed. She has been the perfect role model for asian girls, including 2010 Olympic Gold medalist Kim Yu-na, for nearly 2 decades.

Michelle Kwan & Kim Yu-Na in LA Sep 7 2010
4972814726_4685efb5a0_o.jpg

2010 Sportswoman of the Year &
1998 Sportswoman of the Year

5084743223_db0f387634_o.jpg
Olympic figure skaters Yuna Kim & Michelle Kwan attend the 32nd Annual Salute to Women in Sports gala at The Waldorf-Astoria on October 12, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Bryan Bedder/Getty Images)

If you want to see more on Michelle Kwan see soompi thread on her trip to Korea in 2010 as a Goodwill Ambassador from the US ===> http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/326039-michelle-kwans-jan-2010-visit-to-korea-as-us-goodwill-ambassador-news-pics-and-videos/
4245548346_937d8d8d53_m.jpg

`
iridescentstarformeEclectic

Replies

• BonnieBonnie `tis bonnie C: boston :DPosts: 3,479Member
    I AM SO PROUD OF HER!
    I LOVE Michelle Kwan! I am so happy to see that she continues to succeed in life (: in a different profession too.
    Best wishes to her, and I hope that she will become a great politician one day
    tumblr <3 411
    follow me and I'll return the favor
    watch7.png
    (c) lewis77
    leon-dorkafied!FireMonkey
  • leon-leon- Posts: 924Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited June 2011
    xBonnie__ wrote on 05 June 2011 - 10:59 AM:

I AM SO PROUD OF HER!
    I LOVE Michelle Kwan! I am so happy to see that she continues to succeed in life (: in a different profession too.
    Best wishes to her, and I hope that she will become a great politician one day

God knows we need good leaders and role models in leadership everywhere today. Public life is certainly over-populated with idiots and low-lifes (trying to use polite words).
    FireMonkey
  • sugarlessgirlsugarlessgirl the here and now, but occasionally i go back in tiPosts: 546Member
    ^ I think the word you're looking for is "Weiners" ;)

starformevintageskyhellobby
  • iridescentiridescent Posts: 2,486Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited June 2011
    Will always be a fan :) she is so admirable. I hope future generations of young girls will have the opportunity and blessing to look up to as fantastic a role model as I did growing up. Even her smile alone is something to learn from but her hard work and dedication in everything she does are truly extraordinary.
    leon-

ROOKIE

iridescent wrote on 09 June 2011 - 04:34 PM:

Will always be a fan :) she is so admirable. I hope future generations of young girls will have the opportunity and blessing to look up to as fantastic a role model as I did growing up. Even her smile alone is something to learn from but her hard work and dedication in everything she does are truly extraordinary.

Continuing the Michelle Kwan lovefest - for those who don't know Michelle's artistry, athleticism and emotive power on the ice, here are a couple of the greatest figure skating programs of all time:

397176599.jpg
    Link to view ====> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYTdxyoehk

397176600.jpg
    Link to view ====> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfluAux0Sf0
    cinnemon
  • starformestarforme 해결사 (신화) daul's constellationsPosts: 4,022Member

IDOL

grew up looking up to her and still do ^^ best wishes to michelle!! she's an amazing person (:
    image image
    no one but ourselves can free our mind - bob marley }} you never can rewind, but i remember all your dreams
    keep your integrity
    leon-
  • lilaznfanlilaznfan NYPosts: 224Member
    wow props to her from skating to getting a law degree. i so admire her lol
    leon-
  • indolentindolent Posts: 154Member

ROOKIE

She is so smart and talented, congrats to her.

leon-
  • adaytodieforadaytodiefor HomePosts: 1,991Member

IDOL

I love Michelle Kwan ever since I was a kid.
    She's a great role model & i'm happy for her :)
    leon-

ROOKIE

edited June 2011
    More on Michelle Kwan's skating legacy:

My favorite Michelle Kwan Exhibition Skate
    to Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold"
    from the 2002 Olympics.

397186435.jpg

Link to view ===> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazOhkRuySI

Lyrics to "Fields Of Gold"

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
    Among the fields of barley
    You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
    We walked in fields of gold

So she took her love for to gaze awhile
    In his arms she fell as her hair came down
    Among the fields of gold

Will you stay with me will you be my love
    Among the fields of barley?
    We walked in fields of gold

I never made promises lightly
    And there have been some that I've broken
    But I swear in the days still left
    We will walk in fields of gold
    We'll walk in fields of gold

Many years have passed since those summer days
    See the children run as the sun goes down
    As you lie in fields of gold

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
    When we walked in fields of gold

(written by Sting)

Do yourself a favor, watch this video - Eva Cassidy singing Sting's lyrics and Michelle Kwan skating is about as close to the Eternal as us mortals can get.
    cinnemonEmerald Snow
  • leelee.leelee. USAPosts: 1,508Member

IDOL

This is the type of person that little girls should be looking up to! She really is a great role model, being great at both athletics and academics. The world does not need young girls who grow up to become the main star of a sex tape. -_-
    bymanderly_angel.gif
    sig by manderly_angel
    Sophi.e*